PDA

View Full Version : PF - Friendly character check please.

Dragonrider99
2017-06-08, 05:21 PM
Ok so I'm making a new character for a pathfinder game and my ask is pretty simple. I'd just like feedback on weather or not this guy is "God" or too much for a game. I'm not trying to be superman, but i am aiming for a "God wizard" (battlefield control, buff/debuff etc.

I won't bore with stats and stuff.

Race: drow noble (yes I know >:) )
Class: arcanist lvl 7
Chaotic nuetrel alignment
Class features: arcane exploits: school knowledge (necromancy), familiar, dimensional slide, potent magic
Feats: spell focus necromancy, greater spell focus necromancy, varisian tattoo (necromancy), improved familiar (pseudodragon)
Traits: outlander (loreseeker)

Standard equipment, but I do have some voidsticks.

Spell selection is pretty standard. I don't have any damage spells or attacks, I'm focusing everything into the necromancy, and battlefield control, debuffing etc. like using walls, pits, hitting things for negitive levels, inflicting status effects like exhausted, confusion, sleep, blind, etc. basic tactics are to use invisibility and levitate with dimensional slide to get myself to the perfect spot, then use spectral hand or an invisible psuedodragon to Deliver touch attacks for whatever debuff i am using. Potent magic and the other feats help pump my necro school spell save D.C. To +5 And caster level to +3.

The rest of the group has more then enough damage and punch to kill the baddies. But we don't have a pure arcane support character. So this guy fills that niche. I'm not locked into the familiar, and can easily swap it out. But I've never really used one and love the idea of this guys only real living companion is this tiny dragon. (It was a "rescue" and has a bit of mean streak to it, so it sympthazises and kind of ignores the necromancy) Any thoughts?

Geddy2112
2017-06-08, 07:38 PM
Bad touch necromancy is not as god as summoning, gate/wish cheese, or pun-pun style tactics. Powerful, but so long as you are not going minomancy with the necromancy you should be fine.

Except for the drow noble, which is a bit of cheese. Pseudodragon is good but by no means god or even the best improved familiar.

Dragonrider99
2017-06-09, 09:24 AM
What is "pun pun" style tactics?
Would there be a better choice for improve familiar? (Want something that flys)
I do plan on having a few minions for combat. Some variant zombie/skeletons. Mainly as personal meat shields, and once I'm "setup" flank buddies for the party.

denthor
2017-06-09, 09:53 AM
You are breaking Rules as written. Pseudodargon has an alignment NG I think in the description it say before becoming a familiar it studies it potential mage. Would absolutely not want undead around. Has intelligence being a dragon type would insist on treasure, magic to help it. They are a pain in the. ..

Suggestion for familiar would be small air elemental neutral algignment odd for a drow but more in line with alignment of your character and it flies. Plus with levitate elemental can "push" you around the battle mat.

Dragonrider99
2017-06-09, 12:41 PM
I thought the pseudodragon "study" character thing was if encounterd in the wild, and referring to if it joins a character (any character) as a companion, not as a full on familiar. The improved familiar feat lists it as an option, as long as my alignment is within a step of its own. L/n for me and n/g for it should be fine. (Aside from the obvious necro casting and odd undead minion) the "keep it happy with shineys" bit is a role play aspect, and does not strike me as "rules as written" - unless I'm wrong... but i always figured familiar rules over rode and replaced the rules for the basic animal, including its behavior.

The_Jette
2017-06-09, 12:54 PM
I thought the pseudodragon "study" character thing was if encounterd in the wild, and referring to if it joins a character (any character) as a companion, not as a full on familiar. The improved familiar feat lists it as an option, as long as my alignment is within a step of its own. L/n for me and n/g for it should be fine. (Aside from the obvious necro casting and odd undead minion) the "keep it happy with shineys" bit is a role play aspect, and does not strike me as "rules as written" - unless I'm wrong... but i always figured familiar rules over rode and replaced the rules for the basic animal, including its behavior.

You're chaotic neutral. It's neutral good. That's a two step difference, since it's one step on both axes.

Geddy2112
2017-06-09, 03:01 PM
What is "pun pun" style tactics?
Pun pun (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Pun-Pun) is an example of breaking the system with some form of infinite loop or power that otherwise breaks the game. Harder to do in pathfinder but things like it are not impossible by any stretch of the word. Basically any power that is unstoppable without sheer DM fiat.

Would there be a better choice for improve familiar? Most of the good ones fly but also have awesome spell like abilities. The best ones have hands and can speak therefore use magic device spam. The extraplanar ones are the best(almost all have hands, can shapeshift, fly, and commune) but several others are good. Pseudodragon is not the worst choice but lower tier. Good if you want to intentionally lower your character's overall power and /or theme.