PDA

View Full Version : PF - alchemist with a crossbow

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-08, 07:51 PM
Basically I don't have time to read and analyze all pathfinder classes and options before my campaign starts but I want to play someone who's good with a crossbow and is smart (maybe an alchemist?). We start at level 4.

What build would you choose?

Geddy2112
2017-06-08, 08:25 PM
One of the players in my group loves the ranged alchemist build-they have played it in 3 different campaigns as 3 different characters. It is a fairly good build if you focus on bombing. I would take the explosive missile discovery and go for single target nuke shots, keeping back. You would need point blank shot and precise shot, as well as deadly aim, but you would take those for any bomber anyways. Grab a few bomb discoveries to do different types of damage and you are gold. Take the grenadier archetype for even more bomb fun.

Pro:You can get bombs off at a far distance. Con: Only once a turn. Once you have fly and overland flight you can really milk the crossbow distance because it hits touch AC.

Even if you don't want to go with infused ammo and a bunch of bomb upgrades, a crossbow is a good backup weapon for any bomber alchemist at low levels. If you run out of bombs(or don't want to waste them), you can still contribute to combat.

TheIronGolem
2017-06-08, 08:31 PM
Pro:You can get bombs off at a far distance. Con: Only once a turn. Once you have fly and overland flight you can really milk the crossbow distance because it hits touch AC.

This is not correct. When you use Explosive Missile, the actual attack is made with the projectile weapon, not the bomb. It therefore doesn't target touch AC unless the weapon itself would do so normally.

Mendicant
2017-06-08, 08:44 PM
You might want to dip a level of Bolt Ace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo-gunslinger-archetypes/bolt-ace/). This gets you your touch attacks back (within range increment) and lets you reload without provoking.

Geddy2112
2017-06-09, 03:02 PM
This is not correct. When you use Explosive Missile, the actual attack is made with the projectile weapon, not the bomb. It therefore doesn't target touch AC unless the weapon itself would do so normally.
Ah, my bad

You might want to dip a level of Bolt Ace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo-gunslinger-archetypes/bolt-ace/). This gets you your touch attacks back (within range increment) and lets you reload without provoking.
Second this, maybe even 5 levels if you just want to focus on the crossbow and have some alchemy support.