PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Making giants as playable races

Dankus Memakus
2017-06-08, 11:20 PM
Okay so im attempting to make giants for a campaign im doing where all pc's will be giants. I need help figuring out stats. I dont want to "balance" these to other races. I will be using old stats for weapons that are larger than medium and PCs need to be strong because i will be throwing much stronger creatures (ie other giants) at them due to size.

Giants races I would like to include are:
Fire giants
Frost giants
Storm giants
Cloud giants
Hill Giants
Stone giants

Also these races from older editions (forest giants are the only part im too intent on getting stats for since they are very elf like in appearance giving elf lovers an option)
Slag giants
Cliff giants
Forest giants

If anyone has homebrew stats for ANY of these races please give them to me.

GalacticAxekick
2017-06-09, 03:13 AM
Based on the traits of the giants in the Monster Manual, here's something to start with. You aren't concerned with balancing with other races, which makes this easier, but balancing between subraces is tricky: not all giants are created equal, as far as the MM is concerned.

Giant
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength and constitution scores both increase by 2.
Size: Huge
Speed: 40 ft
Immovable Object: You can increase your Constitution score to a maximum of 30, and you are proficient in Constitution saving throws.
Unstoppable Force: You can increase your Strength score to a maximum of 30, and you triple the damage dice of your weapon attacks.
Languages: You are fluent in Giant

Cloud Giant Subrace:
Innate Spellcasting: You can cast the Feather Fall spell on yourself at will. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Fly spell on yourself with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. When you reach 10th level, you can cast the Feather Fall and Fly spells on three additional creatures. When you reach 15th level, you can cast the Control Weather spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest.

Fire Giant:
Damage Immunity: Fire
Martial Weapon/Heavy Armour Proficiency

Frost Giant:
Damage Immunity: Cold

Hill Giant:
These guys have nothing really going for them, within the MM

Stone Giant:
Darkvision: out to 60 ft.
Stone Camouflage. The giant has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in rocky terrain.
Rock Catching. If a rock or similar object is hurled at the giant, the giant can, as a reaction, attempt a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw. Upon success, the giant catch the missile and takes no bludgeoning damage from it.
Natural AC 10 + Con + Dex

Storm Giant:
Amphibious: The giant can breathe air and water, and the giant has a swim speed equal to its base speed.
Innate Spellcasting. You can cast the Feather Fall spell on yourself at will. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Levitate spell on yourself at will. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Lightning Bolt spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest.

Dankus Memakus
2017-06-09, 01:54 PM
Based on the traits of the giants in the Monster Manual, here's something to start with. You aren't concerned with balancing with other races, which makes this easier, but balancing between subraces is tricky: not all giants are created equal, as far as the MM is concerned.

Giant
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength and constitution scores both increase by 2.
Size: Huge
Speed: 40 ft
Immovable Object: You can increase your Constitution score to a maximum of 30, and you are proficient in Constitution saving throws.
Unstoppable Force: You can increase your Strength score to a maximum of 30, and you triple the damage dice of your weapon attacks.
Languages: You are fluent in Giant

Cloud Giant Subrace:
Innate Spellcasting: You can cast the Feather Fall spell on yourself at will. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Fly spell on yourself with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. When you reach 10th level, you can cast the Feather Fall and Fly spells on three additional creatures. When you reach 15th level, you can cast the Control Weather spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest.

Fire Giant:
Damage Immunity: Fire

Frost Giant:
Damage Immunity: Cold

Hill Giant:
These guys have nothing really going for them, within the MM

Stone Giant:
Darkvision: out to 60 ft.
Stone Camouflage. The giant has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in rocky terrain.
Rock Catching. If a rock or similar object is hurled at the giant, the giant can, as a reaction, attempt a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw. Upon success, the giant catch the missile and takes no bludgeoning damage from it.
Natural AC 10 + Con + Dex

Storm Giant:
Amphibious: The giant can breathe air and water, and the giant has a swim speed equal to its base speed.
Innate Spellcasting. You can cast the Feather Fall spell on yourself at will. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Levitate spell on yourself at will. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Lightning Bolt spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest.

You are my hero. I might give the hill giant like - 5 int just to keep people from playing him

Dankus Memakus
2017-06-09, 02:01 PM
You are my hero. I might give the hill giant like - 5 int just to keep people from playing him

The only reason i want hill giants is for an npc character anyway

JNAProductions
2017-06-10, 10:14 AM

Don't do that. Just say "No hill giants."

Also, be aware that these races make absolutely fantastic martial characters, but only ordinary casters.

Also also, Stone Giant should simply get 13+Dex natural armor or something-not full fledged Barbarian Unarmored Defense.

Dankus Memakus
2017-06-12, 02:44 PM
Don't do that. Just say "No hill giants."

Also, be aware that these races make absolutely fantastic martial characters, but only ordinary casters.

Also also, Stone Giant should simply get 13+Dex natural armor or something-not full fledged Barbarian Unarmored Defense.

I gave the stonegiants the same unarmored defense as lizardfolk, also i want hill giants just for one of my more goofy players who desires to play one

GalacticAxekick
2017-06-12, 03:49 PM
If anyone at all is going to play the Hill giant, I think you must make it on par with the others. If we really work with the fluff and the stat block, we can scrounge a few features for the Hill Giant:

Brute You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which use 3d4 for damage. You can shove a creature an additional distance as long or as high as your running jump, and a creature you grapple is also blinded, deafened, silenced or restrained until it escapes your grapple. "Hill giants are selfish, dimwitted brutes that hunt and raid in constant search of food."
Pragmatist: You are proficient with improvised weapons. You treat all weapons as thrown weapons (range 60/240). "Their weapons are uprooted trees and rocks pulled from the earth".

Tweak as you like! What matters is that you make sure everyone has something fun to do.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-16, 01:49 PM
Well i might be a hill giant. But just i been lookin at this.
Also unstoppable force is it a short rest or something i have players who want to use this. Also thats one question.thas it gonna use ma badonkadonk as a weapon.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-16, 01:55 PM
Lol hill giant monk. Hill giant rougue. Hill giant wizard barbarian.lol hill giant sorcerer tempest sorcerer lol hill giant druid......... That last one could work. Good berry hmmmmmmm all a party with a giant needs is the spell good berry. .

GalacticAxekick
2017-06-16, 01:56 PM
No, Unstoppable Force is totally passive. I think there are two ways I might've been unclear, so I'll try to clarify both:
You don't use an action to increase your Strength to 30 or something. I mean that the cap for your Strength score is 30 instead of 20. It only increases with the Ability Score Increase feature.
You don't use an action or anything to triple your damage dice. Large creatures double the damage dice of size appropriate weapons. Huge creatures triple it. Gargantuan creatures quadruple it.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-16, 01:58 PM
No, Unstoppable Force is totally passive. I think there are two ways I might've been unclear, so I'll try to clarify both:
You don't use an action to increase your Strength to 30 or something. I mean that the cap for your Strength score is 30 instead of 20. It only increases with the Ability Score Increase feature.
You don't use an action or anything to triple your damage dice. Large creatures double the damage dice of size appropriate weapons. Huge creatures triple it. Gargantuan creatures quadruple it.

Thank you. Than yes i have players who would want to use this. Hey can we add differentnt type of goliath subraces based on giant heritage as well

GalacticAxekick
2017-06-16, 02:38 PM
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Size. Goliaths are between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 280 and 340 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Natural Athlete. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.
Stone’s Endurance. You can focus yourself to occasionally shrug off injury. When you take damage,
you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Add your Constitution modifier to the number rolled, and reduce the damage by that total. After you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Mountain Born. You’re acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You’re also naturally adapted to cold climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Giant.

The ASI, size, speed Powerful Build, and languages must stay.

Natural Athlete, Stone's Endurance and Mountain Born can be traded for subrace features representing each of the giant types:

CloudGiant:

Innate Spellcasting. Feather Fall and some more powerful spells limited per rest at 3rd and 5th level]

Fire Giant:

Damage Resistance: Fire
Heavy Armour/Martial Weapon Proficiency

Frost Giant:

Damage Resistance: Cold

Hill Giant:

Brute: You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which use 1d4 for damage. You can shove a creature an additional distance as long or as high as your running jump, and a creature you grapple is also blinded, deafened, silenced or restrained until it escapes your grapple.
Pragmatist You are proficient with improvised weapons. You treat all weapons as thrown weapons (range 20/60).

Stone Giant:

Darkvision. out to 60 ft.
Stone's Endurance.

Storm Giant:

Amphibious. The giant can breathe air and water, and the giant has a swim speed equal to its base speed.
Innate Spellcasting. Feather Fall and some more powerful spells limited per rest at 3rd and 5th level]

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-16, 02:40 PM
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Size. Goliaths are between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 280 and 340 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Natural Athlete. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.
Stone’s Endurance. You can focus yourself to occasionally shrug off injury. When you take damage,
you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Add your Constitution modifier to the number rolled, and reduce the damage by that total. After you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Mountain Born. You’re acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You’re also naturally adapted to cold climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Giant.

The ASI, size, speed Powerful Build, and languages must stay.

Natural Athlete, Stone's Endurance and Mountain Born can be traded for subrace features representing each of the giant types:

CloudGiant:

Fire Giant:

Damage Resistance: Fire

Frost Giant:

Damage Resistance: Cold

Hill Giant:

Brute: You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which use 1d4 for damage. You can shove a creature an additional distance as long or as high as your running jump, and a creature you grapple is also blinded, deafened, silenced or restrained until it escapes your grapple.
Pragmatist You are proficient with improvised weapons. You treat all weapons as thrown weapons (range 20/60).

Stone Giant:

Darkvision. out to 60 ft.
Stone's Endurance.

Storm Giant:

Amphibious. The giant can breathe air and water, and the giant has a swim speed equal to its base speed.
I love you this is everything i wanted a...i might cry