PDA

View Full Version : Where/How do I equip tons of Shuriken?

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-08, 11:31 PM
Atm. I am working on a Shuriken build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526875-ShurikeNado-a-shuriken-master-build&p=22079082)(for the sake of fun & shuriken!^^). After setting the base build I am now stuck with more mundane problems.

Where do I put/equip the tons of shuriken, the build will be carrying around? I want several types of different (enchanted) shuriken for different purposes, so just a big bag wont do it.
Imho there was a belt or robe for such situations but I can't seem to remember it.. :(

Since this will end in a general shuriken build guide, I don't want to rely on "DM Fiat" and would like to solve this with regular stuff.

edit: on further thought:
or does just the "ready as many ammunition as needed for full attack" rule apply?
I am not really familiar how carrying tons of different ammunition work. Anyone can point me to the rules?^^

Celestia
2017-06-09, 12:10 AM
A handy haversack is always...handy.

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-09, 12:14 AM
a move action will cost me a full attack and I would like to avoid that.
swift action is also blocked due to the build.

It needs to still be a free action as it is normally for ammunition, but I don't know if it still applies if I carry tons of em.

how many different shuriken/ammunition can be accessed as free action? as many as I like?

Celestia
2017-06-09, 12:21 AM
Then you just get the feat quick draw. You'll need it anyways to throw more than one shuriken per turn as they are thrown weapons. They are only priced as ammunition.

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-09, 12:56 AM
Then you just get the feat quick draw. You'll need it anyways to throw more than one shuriken per turn as they are thrown weapons. They are only priced as ammunition.

nope, that's another special shuriken quality. you may draw em as if they where ammunition too.

Crake
2017-06-09, 01:44 AM
What exactly are you asking? Do you want to have lots of shurikens enchanted with different passive effects while you hold them? Are you trying to "wield" many shurikens? Or are you just talking about where you would store these shurikens? If it's storage, a haversack would indeed be the best, because if they're all enchanted differently, that's about the only way you'll be able to retrieve the shuriken you want. It may be a free action to draw a shuriken, but to draw the right shuriken is a different story. You could maybe ask your DM to make you a variant of the efficient quiver designed for shuriken use? That maintains the free action draw for the ammunition stored within, but lets you unerringly draw the correct ammunition you desired.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-09, 02:32 AM
nope, that's another special shuriken quality. you may draw em as if they where ammunition too.

Well, in that case you just need to say "my armor/quiver/whatever has multiple pockets, don't you?

If you really want to raise yourself above all suspicion, maybe get a spell component pouche. It costs 5 GP and weights 2 pounds and that's including the actual spell components within. It clearly has easily enough different compartments and it's easy to carry around and take stuff out of.

If anyone claims it doesn't work because your shuriken are larger than spell components, maybe "homebrew" an extra large pouch? Just go to the nearest tailor, point at the pouch and say: "This, but large enough for these." Even if the DM is out to screw you it should cost you no more than 20 GP. The downside of that is that it will take a single low level tailor about a week to finish the thing, so do that during your backstory, not in session 1.

EDIT: Or what Crake said, I didn't know there was already an existing item for exactly this use.

icefractal
2017-06-09, 03:15 AM
Use a Haversack or Bag of Holding, but not to store individual shuriken - store bandoliers of shuriken. I'm not sure how many shuriken you can put on each bandolier, but it should be quite a few - they can hold ten pounds of equipment. So you shouldn't generally need to retrieve new bandoliers during battle.

Inevitability
2017-06-09, 04:23 AM
Fairly sure a spell component pouch should be able to contain a shuriken: the Field of Icy Razors and Fire Shuriken spells have one as a material component. If you're okay with slathering your weapons in pine sap and sulfur, I don't see a problem.

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-09, 04:42 AM
What exactly are you asking? Do you want to have lots of shurikens enchanted with different passive effects while you hold them? Are you trying to "wield" many shurikens? Or are you just talking about where you would store these shurikens?

It's about, how many I can store to access em as a free action?
Let's assume that I have 10 different types of enchanted shuriken. Each of em in stacks of 20 or even 50. Can I access all of em (and choose the right one)?
How does it work for Bow-users? Do they need to sort their (different) arrows somehow to choose the right one?
I am just asking if there are rules for that? I am not sure, or does "draw ammunition as free action" involve to pick the right one between unsorted ammunition?

Celestia
2017-06-09, 05:07 AM
Fairly sure a spell component pouch should be able to contain a shuriken: the Field of Icy Razors and Fire Shuriken spells have one as a material component. If you're okay with slathering your weapons in pine sap and sulfur, I don't see a problem.
Infinite supply of shurikens? Sweet. I wonder if you could, like, enchant a gauntlet and pass the enchantments onto the shurikens like a bow does to arrows. That would be cool.

Inevitability
2017-06-09, 05:44 AM
Infinite supply of shurikens? Sweet. I wonder if you could, like, enchant a gauntlet and pass the enchantments onto the shurikens like a bow does to arrows. That would be cool.

Not infinite: a spell component pouch doesn't by default contain shuriken because they have a listed cost.

You do have infinite pine sap and sulfur, though.

Darrin
2017-06-09, 07:44 AM
Absorb weapon spell in the Spell Compendium might be worth a look.

Crake
2017-06-09, 08:02 AM
It's about, how many I can store to access em as a free action?
Let's assume that I have 10 different types of enchanted shuriken. Each of em in stacks of 20 or even 50. Can I access all of em (and choose the right one)?
How does it work for Bow-users? Do they need to sort their (different) arrows somehow to choose the right one?
I am just asking if there are rules for that? I am not sure, or does "draw ammunition as free action" involve to pick the right one between unsorted ammunition?

That's pretty much the whole point of the efficient quiver. It lets you store all your arrows in one place and unerringly draw the correct ammo much like a handy haversack does, only it change the action required to retrieve from it, so it remains a move action to draw a weapon, or a free action to draw ammo.

According to the rules, I would imagine drawing a specific kind of ammunition from an unsorted set would count as "retrieve an item" rather than "draw ammo" because you would need to stop and sort through the ammo to find what you want, whether it be by sight, or via tactile methods if reaching into a pouch.

You could instead convince your DM to let you have a modified version of the quiver made for storing shurikens.

Braininthejar2
2017-06-09, 08:10 AM
can't you enchant a returning shuriken and just throw the one?

noob
2017-06-09, 08:17 AM
A returning shuriken still have 50% chance of being destroyed when thrown due to it being ammo.
But you might be able to repair it as normal with craft skill?

Jowgen
2017-06-09, 08:42 AM
+1 for the Efficient Quiver.

It clearly states "Once the owner has filled it, the quiver can produce any item she wishes, as if from a regular quiver or scabbard", and one of the oxford dictionary definitions for a scabbard is "A sheath for a gun or other weapon or tool".

Elkad
2017-06-09, 10:14 AM
A bandoleer or a bunch of belt pouches would be perfectly fine in my games.

Sort your shuriken by type into different pouches. Reload your pouches from your haversack after the fight.

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-09, 11:55 AM
A returning shuriken still have 50% chance of being destroyed when thrown due to it being ammo.
But you might be able to repair it as normal with craft skill?

It's even worse. Ammunition that hits a target is always destroyed. The 50% chance only applies to misses..

A bandoleer or a bunch of belt pouches would be perfectly fine in my games.

Sort your shuriken by type into different pouches. Reload your pouches from your haversack after the fight.

I guess I'll stick to the sorted pouches. How many would the character be allowed to wear?
2? 4? more? I was hoping for something like the "Efficient Quiver" for other types of ammunition.

Since it seems that nowhere it is mentioned how you have to store a shuriken to have them accessible as "free action", would a belt of many pockets or a belt with many pouches work?

Braininthejar2
2017-06-09, 12:57 PM
I wonder if you could wear a shredstorm golem...

noob
2017-06-09, 01:44 PM
You can wear any creature or creature swarm as long as you are a ghost touch monk.

Jowgen
2017-06-09, 02:24 PM
I wonder if you could wear a shredstorm golem...

You can wear any creature or creature swarm as long as you are a ghost touch monk.

Please tell me a Universal Key (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20061106a) with Rudimentary Intelligence (Dragon 327) works for this idea. :smallbiggrin:

Deophaun
2017-06-09, 03:02 PM
Since it seems that nowhere it is mentioned how you have to store a shuriken to have them accessible as "free action", would a belt of many pockets or a belt with many pouches work?
They don't have to be accessible as a free action, because it's stated to be a free action to draw. You could have them in fifty different sacks and they'd still be free to draw. Heck, keep them bundled together with various bits of string held together on quick release knots and hang them off of whatever. You don't need a magic item for this.

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-09, 03:09 PM
They don't have to be accessible as a free action, because it's stated to be a free action to draw. You could have them in fifty different sacks and they'd still be free to draw. Heck, keep them bundled together with various bits of string held together on quick release knots and hang them off of whatever. You don't need a magic item for this.

That's what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure how it is handled as said, but that clarifies it I guess.
Thx for all the help here.
I already uploaded the shuriken build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526875-ShurikeNado-a-shuriken-master-build&p=22079082) if anyone here should be interested.

noob
2017-06-09, 03:15 PM
Please tell me a Universal Key (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20061106a) with Rudimentary Intelligence (Dragon 327) works for this idea. :smallbiggrin:
Wearing is not grappling.
No rules says that you can not put swarms in your inventory.
And since carrying corpses is a common occurrence and that corpses are creatures and that there is no rules specifically allowing to carry corpses you can probably carry any creature as long as you can touch it(this is why I use ghost touch monk)

KillianHawkeye
2017-06-11, 04:09 AM
corpses are creatures

No, corpses are objects. They used to be creatures, but they're not anymore.

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-11, 05:17 AM
No, corpses are objects. They used to be creatures, but they're not anymore.

really? I would argue, that they are creatures with the "Death" status.

see:

Raise Dead
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 5
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Inevitability
2017-06-11, 07:32 AM
Oh boy. Who's ready for five pages of the good ol' 'are corpses creatures' debate?

You just go ahead, though. I'm sure this time a definite conclusion all involved parties agree on will be reached.