PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wizard Familiar - Eyebat (could use a second opinion)

Orison
2017-06-09, 03:29 AM
So, I'm making an alternative familiar for a Pathfinder campaign and I'm curious to know what your folks' opinion on it would be.

Really nothing special, mostly modified the Hawk template and slapped an aberration type to it plus a few minor tweaks. I feel that this is fairly even-powered to most other familiars, despite the type difference. I understand that RAW states that a familiar can only be an unmodified animal or vermin, however, I feel that for the flavor-factor it isn't gamebreaking to allow this as a familiar as a home-brewed option.

Would it be a viable starting familiar in terms of relative abilities and power?

I always try to keep things RAW when I DM, however this isn't my game, and this campaign has already seen some minor flex in lieu of flavor. Bearing that in mind, I'm curious to get some second opinions on the matter.

Let me know what you guys think! :smallbiggrin:

Eyebat

A creature that looks exactly as it's name implies. Staring back at you, nestled between two leathery, black wings sits a slimy-looking eye. The wings act exactly like that of a bat the same size. Allowing for quick, flitting flight; or manipulating its mobility on various surfaces. The eye looks on toward it's next target with a benign gaze.

CR: 1/3

Diminutive Aberration | Space: 1ft | Reach: 0ft

Initiative: +3

Speed: 5ft | 40ft fly (good)

Senses: Low-Light Vision, Darkvision (60ft)

AC: 17

HP: 4 (1d8)

STR: 1 | DEX: 16 | CON: 10 | INT: 3 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 6

Fort: +0 | Ref: +3 | Will: +4

Base Attack: +0

Melee: Claw +4 (1d -5) | CMB: -4 | CMD: -4

Skills: Fly +13; Stealth +19; Perception +14; Acrobatics +7

Racial +8 Perception

Familar Bonus:

An Eyebat grants the Caster +1 Natural Armor

Southern Cross
2017-06-10, 05:56 PM
I'd personally require a wizard to have purchased the Improved Familiar feat before taking an eyebat as a familiar. Either that or convert the alienist PrC (from Complete Arcane) to an archetype.

Kaskus
2017-06-21, 09:53 PM
I don't think the type is a big deal but you should consider keeping it at animal level intelligence (1 or 2). Also, the bonus granted to the caster does not seem to be thematically appropriate. A bonus to Fly or a situational perception bonus would make more sense.

I may be missing something here but the attack bonus seems off?
0 (BAB) + 4 (Size) - 5 (Str) = -1
0 (BAB) + 4 (Size) + 3 (Dex) = +7 (If Weapon Finesse)

rferries
2017-06-22, 02:27 AM
It's definitely not powerful enough to need the Improved Familiar feat (compare the spell-like abilities an imp can give you, for example). The intelligence score is awkward, yes - though most likely it'd be replaced by a familiars (superior) intelligence score anyways. +1 armor is in line with the +2 to a particular save granted by the weasel etc. familiars so that seems balanced (if not appropriately flavourful as has been pointed out already).

Well done! An easily-visualised and creepy pet :)