PDA

View Full Version : I might be Insane; Help me iron out my build

Solunaris
2017-06-09, 06:17 AM
For a bit of background, I jumped into an ongoing game with some friends (mostly new players) intending to go full Beast Conclave Revised Ranger but after my first session with them my character concept changed wildly. I realized that due to how the party make-up is and the skill overlap selected by the other players I might need to bring some serious proficiency's to the table. For instance, now with my character the party has a perception score and an insight score. I started at level 5 but came in at a good time as the DM threw about 35k exp worth of enemies at us in our 10 hour session (divided by 5 of course).

Down to the nitty-gritty: Level 5 Beast Conclave Revised Ranger Stout Halfling (rolled stats were 16,15,13,10,9,5)
Strength: 5
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 15
Charisma: 9

Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight, Perception, Stealth

I wanted to build a dual wielder so I elected to take the feat of the same name at 4th and I was just gonna run with having 4 attacks a turn at 5th level between myself and my animal companion (a Giant Wolf Spider with the poison removed for balance).

Where I want to take the character might seem a bit insane, but my idea was to go into Scout Rogue 4 to get Acrobatics, Nature and Survival proficiencies and expertise in Insight, Nature, Perception, and Survival. After that, go Battlemaster Fighter for the next 6 levels to shore up my combat abilities and then finish out in Rogue for another round of expertise and defensive options.

I feel like more levels in Ranger won't do much for me (save Greater Favored Enemy) as the higher levels of the Revised Ranger are a bit barren or mimic'd by the Rogue levels. Any suggestions?

Arkhios
2017-06-09, 06:25 AM
More levels in ranger might not do much for you, but for your animal companion they will do quite a bit. There are of course the additional abilities it gains from the Beast Conclave as you level up, but the more important thing, in my opinion is the increased hit dice. If you leave Ranger to 5th level, the companion won't have more than up to 5 hit dice. Sure, your ability score increases from other class levels help with its hit points if you improve the companion's constitution, but that's it, the spider will end up more than a little squishy.

Solunaris
2017-06-09, 06:28 AM
More levels in ranger might not do much for you, but for your animal companion they will do quite a bit. There are of course the additional abilities it gains from the Beast Conclave as you level up, but the more important thing, in my opinion is the increased hit dice. If you leave Ranger to 5th level, the companion won't have more than up to 5 hit dice. Sure, your ability score increases from other class levels help with its hit points if you improve the companion's constitution, but that's it.

You've got me there, but on the other hand it's AC is going to go bananas after a few levels. And if I manage to acquire a Saddle of the Cavalier it'll basically always have advantage on defense. I was also thinking of taking the Mounted Combat feat at some point for a bit more added protection.

Citan
2017-06-09, 07:46 AM
For a bit of background, I jumped into an ongoing game with some friends (mostly new players) intending to go full Beast Conclave Revised Ranger but after my first session with them my character concept changed wildly. I realized that due to how the party make-up is and the skill overlap selected by the other players I might need to bring some serious proficiency's to the table. For instance, now with my character the party has a perception score and an insight score. I started at level 5 but came in at a good time as the DM threw about 35k exp worth of enemies at us in our 10 hour session (divided by 5 of course).

Down to the nitty-gritty: Level 5 Beast Conclave Revised Ranger Stout Halfling (rolled stats were 16,15,13,10,9,5)
Strength: 5
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 15
Charisma: 9

Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight, Perception, Stealth

I wanted to build a dual wielder so I elected to take the feat of the same name at 4th and I was just gonna run with having 4 attacks a turn at 5th level between myself and my animal companion (a Giant Wolf Spider with the poison removed for balance).

Where I want to take the character might seem a bit insane, but my idea was to go into Scout Rogue 4 to get Acrobatics, Nature and Survival proficiencies and expertise in Insight, Nature, Perception, and Survival. After that, go Battlemaster Fighter for the next 6 levels to shore up my combat abilities and then finish out in Rogue for another round of expertise and defensive options.

I feel like more levels in Ranger won't do much for me (save Greater Favored Enemy) as the higher levels of the Revised Ranger are a bit barren or mimic'd by the Rogue levels. Any suggestions?
Hi!
First Greater Favored Enemy may be worth enough to go there, if your campaign setting warrants for some kind of enemy to be common.
Beyond that you can safely dip Rogue up to 5 (Uncanny Dodge) or even 7 (Evasion), those are tasty features.
Also, if you really want to bring some skill-monkeyness, your best bet is by far Knowledge Cleric 3...
- Great bunch of Cleric spells (Bless, Healing Words, Sanctuary, Guiding Bolt but also Blindness, Silence, Enhance Ability)
- Easily more spellcasting for all your Cleric (especially Enhance Ability ^^) and Ranger (Goodberry, Ensnaring Strike, Pass Without Trace, Conjure Animals).
- Auto-expertise in Arcana and Nature and proficient in a skill/tool of choice every short rest.

With this you should be set as far as skills go, especially if you stack that with Rogue 6.
On that Rogue department, I'd suggest Arcane Trickster 6 to get some more useful spells and cantrips (Shield, Booming Blade, maybe Comprehend Languages for better spy/persuasion) and more slots. Note though I don't know Scout archetype, so if you think it's better for your concept stick with it.

As for Fighter, I'd say it's right if you want Extra Attack, otherwise you could drop to 3-4 instead.
So I'd suggest the following build to you (in the hypothesis you don't want to buff your pet and are not interested in Greater Favored Enemy).

Ranger 5
> Rogue 1 (immediate damage bump and Expertise in two skills)
> Cleric 1 (unless you feel your spellcasting is fine as is: enough slots and variety)
> Battlemaster 3 (slightly better armor, Action Surge, manoeuvers) unless you really want skills first in which case Cleric 2.
> Whatever you want next.
One end build could be Beastmaster Ranger 5 / Knowledge Cleric 3 / Battlemaster 6 / Arcane Trickster 6: you are a 5+3+2=10th level caster, you can have Expertise in Insight, Perception (Rogue 1), Nature, Arcana (Cleric), Survival and one other among Stealth, Athletics, Acrobatics or Thief's tools (Rogue 6).
Skills-wise, you can add to that: proficiency in any skill you need 1/short rest, and base proficiency in Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight, Perception, Stealth (already), Nature, Arcana (Cleric), Acrobatics (Rogue), Thief Tools (Rogue).
You can stack that with Enhance Ability when needed.
You also get many languages learned by default, and can complement with Comprehend Languages when needed.
You want the cherry on the cake? Pick Observant feat ASAP: WIS bump (so you can better use offensive spells from Ranger and CLeric, including Ensnaring Strike, Command, Spiritual Weapon, Blindness), flat increase to Perception and Investigation score (your DM will hate you XD) and you can read lips. Paired with high DEX, Stealth proficiency, possible Pass Without Trace/Silence/Enhance Ability, and invisible Mage Hand you will become one of the best spy ever worldwide (well, if you put aside high-level casters with their shenanigans ^^).