PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Paladin fallen to Blackguard Build (home ruled dex to damage with finesse)

BrotherSilence
2017-06-09, 07:56 AM
Okay so most of my other ideas ended up dying cause they just aren't really going to work, buti want to play a paladin. The campaign is a very rough desert campaign with death. I was thinking of playing as a paladin and slowly shift into a blackguard as he slowly loses his empathy for those in need, basically he's going to become numb to it all and just not care if people are suffering or if he has to harm someone to get the job done. At first of course he will care and try to help people and do the good old pally things, anyways how would i go about doing a paladin into blackguard (i've heard a bit about also taking shadowblade inquisitor), like class levels, feat choices and weapon choices. I can't wear metal armor but i can get dragonhide heavy/meduium armor and be fine. we are starting at level 2 with LA+1 races (starting gold is 1140 for me as a paladin). the books i have are the core books Cadv/CA/CD/CW/MiC. my race/template can come from any official book but my classes, gear,feats,etc... have to be from those books. oh i should note we are using a 32 point buy, and the note in the thread is just in case dex to damage with finesse would lead to a stronger build overall. Also what feats and gear to get later down the road would be helpful too

The Viscount
2017-06-09, 01:53 PM
I've built a few paladins going into Blackguard, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21681792&postcount=205) are two (goo.gl/aVsOZX) of these builds for reference.

I would highly recommend Shadowbane inquisitor as a transition from paladin to blackguard, especially for a slow fall like this. Entry into it is fairly easy, the only thing to really consider is how to best get a die of sneak attack. There are several ways, I find starting with a level of something like rogue to be an easy way to satisfy the requirement. Changeling rogue is an excellent first level, and preserves a social aspect if that's what you like. In preparation for Blackguard, you have to take Power Attack, so you might as well do it early. Cleave is most useful at early levels, but isn't a high priority if other stuff is better. You must take it eventually.

For weapons, something two-handed to make the most use of power attack is probably best. For races, it's hard to go wrong with human, though if you want more Charisma interaction Hellbred are an option.