PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 9th level chain lightning against two targets

theskyvalker
2017-06-09, 09:08 AM
Hi,

So my player (in a PbP game) has cast a 9th level chain lightning spell against two enemies. Am I right in saying that it will only affect the primary target and the secondary target exactly once even at 9th level?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-09, 09:13 AM
Hi,

So my player (in a PbP game) has cast a 9th level chain lightning spell against two enemies. Am I right in saying that it will only affect the primary target and the secondary target exactly once even at 9th level?

Thanks in advance for the help!

AFB; shooting from the hip: I make you right, on the general principle that multiple effects from the same spell cannot stack with themselves.

Chain Lightning requires a large number of discrete targets to be efficient.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-06-09, 02:06 PM
AFB; shooting from the hip: I make you right, on the general principle that multiple effects from the same spell cannot stack with themselves.

Ninja_Prawn is correct - each target can only be hit by chain lightning once, regardless of how many creatures the spell could theoretically target.

Chain Lightning requires a large number of discrete targets to be efficient.

Frankly, given the mediocre damage, low number of targets, and the fact that it doesn't scale, I'd say it's just not very efficient generally.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-09, 03:12 PM
Frankly, given the mediocre damage, low number of targets, and the fact that it doesn't scale, I'd say it's just not very efficient generally.

I dunno about that... Chain Lightning is 40d8 (180) at 6th level when you do have good conditions... and it scales way better than any other evocation (10d8 per level, none of which is wasted because you know how many valid targets you have?!). For comparison, Disintegrate is 10d6+40 (75) - nowhere close, though much more concentrated against one specific creature - and Circle of Death is 8d6 (28), which means you'd have to get 7 targets in the area before it's outperforming Chain Lightning. How often do you even face 7 enemies at once? Cone of Cold VI is 9d8 (40.5) so it only needs 5 hits but, being a cone, it isn't as convenient as Circle of Death. Fireball VI and Lightning Bolt VI clock in at 11d6 (38.5); also needing to hit 5 targets. Symbol of Death deals 10d10 (55), so it matches Chain Lightning VII if you can catch 4 people with it.

Unless I'm missing something, Chain Lightning easily justifies a space on your spell list.

theskyvalker
2017-06-09, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification folks!

Dappershire
2017-06-10, 02:13 AM
Am I reading the wrong spell?
C'mon GITP, where is your rules lawyering, loophole finding spirit, that I know and hate?

Each target can only be targeted once. Yes. That is ironclad spell logic.

But unless they are naked, both of those enemies are just chalk full of objects, which, if we recall, are also targetable by chain lightning.
So, Target 1, is Creature 1's shield. Or robe. Or bedpan. Targets 2 through 7 are Creature 1, Creature 2, and two objects each that they are wearing or holding. Metal for extra style points, but I don't see anyone arguing damage done if you target a headband and send a bolt at their face.