PDA

View Full Version : Quick ToB Homebrew Question

Overlord
2007-08-03, 09:20 PM
Hello everyone, I have been considering adding homebrewed ToB disciplines to the game I DM (well, first I have to introduce ToB, but that's beside the point).

My quick question is this:

If I allow players access to disciplines that have been homebrewed by posters on these or the Wizards forums (or by myself), do I need to trade original disciplines out for the new ones I am adding, as I have heard suggested? Or would it be balanced to simply add the disciplines on to the list without subtracting anything?

It seems to me like just adding them would be fine, since adding homebrew spells or spells from other sources doesn't unbalance a caster. But on the other hand, the fact that Warblades and Crusaders have fewer maneuvers to choose from seems like a balancing feature. Would adding a discipline to just one or two initiator classes and not the others unbalance them significantly?

I would be very interested to hear your opinions on this matter. Thank you for your help!

Fax Celestis
2007-08-03, 09:30 PM
My recommendation is to allow the player to choose to trade discipline access one-for-one at the first level of an initiating class, and then to create a feat (with Martial Study and Martial Stance as prerequisites) that allows you access to a discipline you do not have access to but could have chosen at character creation.

Bassetking
2007-08-03, 09:36 PM
Depends on the maneuvers allowed to be added, but I would be very cautious. I love the ToB, but I wouldn't add any schools without extensive playtesting.