PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How many sessions is the Kingmaker Adventure Path?

CoreBrute23
2017-06-09, 11:59 AM
So I only recently learned about this path due to the Kickstarter. I'm checking out the books, but I wanted to find out how many sessions on average running through the entire path would take? And how long your sessions last when you play it-4 hours, 6 hours, more?

I'm curious because I am really tempted to run this somehow, but I want to know how much of a time commitment it will be, which will help me figure out if it's something I can run online, via pbp or if with a monthly in person gaming group.

Tuvarkz
2017-06-09, 12:09 PM
Online-wise, in r20 it's taken us somewhat over 6 hours to deal with a hex or something like that, aka two sessions' worth, more or less.
Pbp, haven't gone through the AP, but from experience with other pbps, it would be a multi-year commitment unless you heavily streamline the AP to minimize combat situations, and then still take a very long while.

JeenLeen
2017-06-09, 12:15 PM
I ran part of Kingmaker, and I think it's hard to answer your question for this campaign module more than most. The main reason is that your players may spend more or less time exploring the different hexes and building up their towns--or they might not care. There's a lot of 'side quests' they could or could not be involved in while still playing the main path.

On the other hand, you can probably shorten the time it could potentially take by removing some of the extraneous side quests, but that might ruin part of the experience of the game.
Another streamlining could be if you have the city-building aspects occur between-games, via e-mail or some such, so that it doesn't take up time when you have an actual session. Like, do the 'downtime'/'city planning' between games and let the actual adventuring and roleplay happen during games.

Also, a warning: it is really easy to 'break' the economics by building the right town. This is more true early in the campaign than later.

CoreBrute23
2017-06-09, 02:32 PM
Also, a warning: it is really easy to 'break' the economics by building the right town. This is more true early in the campaign than later.

When you say 'break the economics' do you mean, 'make a kingdom so financially stable/profitable it's essentially a utopia' or 'this kingdom cannot sustain itself and they've already doomed themselves/lost'?