PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a wacky one-shot! It's a Party party!

Pr6i6e6st
2017-06-09, 12:11 PM
Hey guys! I've got my 28th birthday coming next weekend, it'll also be a diaper party for my soon-to-be-born daughter.

Pretty certain the only people showing up are people I play D&D with, so I figured maybe we can do a one-shot, and since I'll be inhibriated, why not make it a bit weird and fun?

So I'm looking for all kinds of ideas. From plot hooks, to wild threats, to strange personalities, to funky yet easy mechanics.

Stuff like they have to babysit a demon baby or get disadvantage if you don't take a drink first or something. I just want all the weird stuff. Might even do the "the gods must be mad" variant where everyone takes turns, maybe at random times or upon a certain cue, then draw some of these ideas from a hat or something.

So let's see your weird! Your personalities! Your encounters! Your mechanics! I want this coming weekend to be crazy! :p thanks guys!

noob
2017-06-09, 12:16 PM
Prismatic spheres anchored on boats that are true polymorphed orcs?
Alobeth planning to turn the world in a cake?

90sMusic
2017-06-09, 01:00 PM
A deranged wizard spent his life savings on an ancient tome that could teach him how to construct a golem.
Unfortunately, with no money left after buying it, he had no access to the quantity and quality of stone, metal, or other materials to make a golem so he used the only thing he had a sufficient amount of... Birthday cake.

Shortly after it's creation, the birthday cake golem, maddened by it's intense flavor and too much sugar, turned on it's creator and started wreaking havoc on the town...

Pr6i6e6st
2017-06-09, 01:16 PM
A deranged wizard spent his life savings on an ancient tome that could teach him how to construct a golem.
Unfortunately, with no money left after buying it, he had no access to the quantity and quality of stone, metal, or other materials to make a golem so he used the only thing he had a sufficient amount of... Birthday cake.

Shortly after it's creation, the birthday cake golem, maddened by it's intense flavor and too much sugar, turned on it's creator and started wreaking havoc on the town...

Bahaha that's great!

noob
2017-06-09, 01:43 PM
Birthday cake golems are a common type of golem.
There is even 3.5 homebrew for becoming half birthday cake golem.

iTreeby
2017-06-09, 01:43 PM
In order to save time harvesting his father's wheat fields a wizard creates an thresher golem and summons a spirit to power and animate the golem. Unfortunately he flubs the spell up and animates the golem with the spirit of the nearby towns recently deceased Baker who died suddenly before he could complete his greatest cake yet: his daughter's wedding cake. The thresher golem sets out across the farmlands to finish his life's work chaos ensues.

Laserlight
2017-06-10, 05:52 PM
One of our group was getting married, and since most of his friends were in our extended D&D group, he asked for a one shot as his bachelor party. (There were a couple of groomsmen who were noobs, but they caught on). The situation the DM handed us was that we were a touring stage company, all bards, and had to put on some kind of performance sufficient to get the McGuffin (which was, as I recall, "enough money from ticket receipts to pay for our leading man's wedding"). He told us what races we were--I was the half orc playwright, there were a couple of gnomes, etc etc--and we took it from there. I think one of the players came up with the idea of staging a play, which I was in charge of writing. And thus was born Gnomeo and Juliet.
Admittedly, at the end of the play, Rosaline and Juliet ran off together and left poor Gnomeo standing dumbfounded, but I plead that I am only the servant of the muse.

Hrugner
2017-06-10, 06:50 PM
Give players some pretty bare bones characters but hide items, and abilities in your house. Put party advancing to level 2 in the second case of beer for instance. Put a magic weapon anyone can grab in the bathroom that works as long as the player doesn't tell anyone else about the magic item in the bathroom. Hide some playing cards around the house and print out a key for powers that can be used once per card.

As for the gameplay, your players are mecha pilots in the not too distant future, and their characters represent the load out of their mech. Unfortunately, mecha fights were so popular that world war 3 broke out just as an excuse to use the things wide scale and the world has gone into economic and social collapse. Your players dig through the junk strewn world looking for anything they can mount as a weapon. Killing monsters gets them a once use item for any ability the monster had on a sufficient knowledge check. Monsters are of course the mechs of mech junker pilots.

Welcome to Junkers & Juggernauts 1st edition.

Laserlight
2017-06-11, 01:19 PM
your players are mecha pilots in the not too distant future, and their characters represent the load out of their mech. Unfortunately, mecha fights were so popular that world war 3 broke out just as an excuse to use the things wide scale and the world has gone into economic and social collapse. Your players dig through the junk strewn world looking for anything they can mount as a weapon. Killing monsters gets them a once use item for any ability the monster had on a sufficient knowledge check. Monsters are of course the mechs of mech junker pilots.

Welcome to Junkers & Juggernauts 1st edition.

This needs to be a thing. Send me the rough draft before 6pm tomorrow. :-)

pwykersotz
2017-06-11, 03:15 PM
I don't usually recommend other games, but for a crazy one-shot have you considered Lasers and Feelings? (http://www.onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/)

solidork
2017-06-11, 03:48 PM
So, there exists a wild magic table with 10,000 different entries. This link is a story about a one shot where they had a bunch of commoners test defective wands of magic missile that caused you to roll on that table. It is HILARIOUS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDGreentext/comments/56owc3/the_commoner_curse_of_300_wands/