PDA

View Full Version : Masterwork Weapons

Laurefindel
2017-06-09, 02:03 PM
So, masterwork weapons... There were threads about that but they're all pretty old.

I'm toying with the idea of bringing back the concept of masterwork weapons because 1) I like the fact that reputed craftsmen can produce superior product and 2) I want magical weapons to remain rare, but I don't want to gimp PCs too much. I'm aware that bounded accuracy made the second point not as important anymore, but I like being able to throw a bone at players without handling too many magic treasure.

I already decided that given bounded accuracy, I'm not going the "+1 to hit" route, but I'm undecided among the next three options (other options are welcome). I haven't fixed a price tag yet.

Masterwork weapons have a +1 bonus to damage. This bonus is not cumulative with enchantment/enhancement bonuses, if any are gained later.

Masterwork weapons are +1 weapons, but without the magic quality (for the purpose of damage reduction).

Masterwork weapons are +1 magic weapons. That's what +1 magic weapons are, just better versions of regular weapons made by a master craftsman.

What do you think?

mephnick
2017-06-09, 02:20 PM
I still allow Masterwork Weapons to be +1/+1 non-magical. But they have to be made by an actual master craftsmen (of which there are very few) and it costs a crapload of gold.

I don't have +2 or +3 weapons at all. I find a +1 isn't a big deal and still feels pretty special to the players.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-09, 02:26 PM
It might be kind of cool to nix all normal +x's from magic weapons and make that a quality of masterwork craftsmanship. You could even let it bypass all the same resistances/immunities a magic weapon would by saying they were made so well, they can cut/pierce/bludgeon things that would turn an ordinary weapon.

In fact, this makes a lot more sense than having +x magic weapons in the first place. Just sort of fits that epic fantasy feel better, y'know?

mephnick
2017-06-09, 02:28 PM
It might be kind of cool to nix all normal +x's from magic weapons and make that a quality of masterwork craftsmanship.?

Actually I should have gone further in my explanation but that's exactly what I do. +1's are purely from craftsmenship. Things like the Sunblade are still +0 weapons and just have their special effects.

Dr paradox
2017-06-09, 02:54 PM
I've been mulling over how to introduce masterwork weapons as a money sink for a while. I like the idea of having a variety of small perks that can be layered onto a weapon at creation for increasing cost. +1 damage is nice and sensible, silvered weapons are also good, but what else could go into a weapon? Alternate damage type? Like, a sword built sturdy enough to use bludgeoning, a Warhammer with a piercing implement, et cetera?

I guess part of the issue is that 5e's cleanliness of design doesn't include a ton of room for ancillary perks.
As to your question, I would favor having +1 damage AND weapons +1 as masterworks, just of different quality with different costs.

pwykersotz
2017-06-09, 03:02 PM
I like rider effects rather than a +1. Something like:

Serrated. This blade is more difficult to keep sharp, but it easily cuts tougher substances. It requires twice as much upkeep, but bypasses melee weapon resistance for creatures who do not have armor or scales. It does not bypass immunity.

It's not super well thought out, I'm just spitballing, but I like it better.

GorogIrongut
2017-06-09, 03:12 PM
I find +X weapons to be boring.

When you are wearing Masterwork Armor and are hit with a weapon attack, the attacker must re-roll all damage dice that land on their maximum result.

When you hit an enemy with a Masterwork Weapon, you re-roll any damage dice that land on a result of 1.

You could also roll on the following chart if you wanted more variability.

d6 Weapons
1. Balanced. Weapon has the finesse property
2. Object is HUGE. Add +2 damage and the Heavy property
3. Hooks. +4 damage on a critical hit.
4. Unusual. Weapon deals 2 types of damage.
5. Tool. Weapon also functions as a tool set.
6. Frightening. Weapon grants advantage on intimidation checks.

d6 Armour/Shields
1. Lightened. Half weight.
2. Agile. +1 on Dexterity Saving Throws.
3. Locking Joints. +2 on Strength Saving Throws.
4. Hardened. Reroll 1 damage die on weapon attacks against you.
5. Spikes. You can make an attack with the armour or shield. It deals 1d4 piercing damage and you are considered proficient with it.
6. Quiet. Ignore disadvantage on stealth checks.

I went through a phase of working out the hows and why's of blacksmithing in this thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?504442-Blacksmithing

So I included the opposite rules for playing trying to craft but who create an object with a fatal flaw.

On any successful DC Check roll where mastercrafting did not occur, the DM privately rolls a dice. On the a roll of a 1 or a 2, the object appears to have been crafted perfectly and the smith is elated at their success. There is however a flaw in the creation and it is left to the DM to decide if the object has been cursed or will shatter horrifically at the most inopportune of moments.

Âmesang
2017-06-09, 03:27 PM
I'd just be happy getting back "masterwork backpacks" as a cheap means of carrying extra weight. :smalltongue:

Vogie
2017-06-09, 03:31 PM
I could see a series of material bonuses

Cold Iron for additional damage to Fey
Salt Forged for ghost touch
Mithril for lower weight, allowing to use as a one-handed weapon for the Dueling bonus once per long rest
Ceramic to avoid heat metal and rust effects
Bloodlight runes that make the blade glow like a candle when touching blood, as the cantrip "Light"
Dragonglass for additional damage to cold-themed monsters or ice structures

Rusvul
2017-06-09, 03:39 PM
In my game, there are three ways a weapon can get a +1. Having one of them yields a +1 weapon, having two yields a +2 weapon, having 3 yields a +3 weapon.

Extraordinary craftsmanship is one of them. A weapon forged over the span of months or years by a true master smith will have a +1 to hit and damage. This is nonmagical.

Extraordinary construction. A weapon made of adamantine, crucible steel, or some other suitably unique and powerful metal will also have a +1 to hit and damage. This is also nonmagical.

Enchantment. A weapon enchanted by a powerful spellcaster will sometimes have a +1. This is, unsurprisingly, a magical effect.

Thus, a sword forged of adamantine by a legendary smith and then enchanted by an archmage will be +3. These circumstances are exceedingly uncommon, so few such weapons exist. Those that do are usually created for a purpose, and have a history to them (as well as a whole host of magical abilities.) Even +1 weapons are rare, considering the skill, resources, or magical talent required to create one.