PDA

View Full Version : A little help about a ship

CleaveOfCleaves
2017-06-09, 04:37 PM
I want to have a ship attached to the top of a turtle of the same size. I can't find any way to make it actually work so im here for help and thoughts

DeTess
2017-06-09, 04:46 PM
What exactly is your situation? Are you a player trying to get this past your DM? Are you a DM needing this for a campaign? If you are the DM, what do you need it for?

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-09, 04:48 PM
Assuming the turtle is strong enough to carry the ship, could you just tie the ship onto it?

CleaveOfCleaves
2017-06-09, 04:48 PM
Trying to do this as a player

xkroku
2017-06-09, 04:51 PM
I think you should get the stats of Giant Snapping Turtle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/turtle/turtle-giant-snapping/) from Pathfinder (or if you somehow acquire the Turtle stats for D&D, you can just addthe Tytanic Animal template to it), give the Turtle a feat that gives gim the ability to carry riders his size (forgot the name, may edit it in later) (found it, its Mighty Steed from Bestiary of Krynn) and tie a ship of choice (max Gargantuan size) to his back. Just remember to not exceed the max encumbrance.

The_Jette
2017-06-09, 04:53 PM
Just give the ship a flat but rounded bottom, and work with some aquatic Druids to set up a huge harness to situate it on. Although, it would need to be a light-weight wood, to keep from just crushing the turtle outright. I'd suggest the wood they build airships with in Eberron. Plus, it'd have to be a REALLY big turtle... probably Dragon Turtle sized. And, of course, you'll have to tame/enslave it somehow.

DeTess
2017-06-09, 04:54 PM
StormWrack has expanded rules for ships, MM1 has rules for the dragon turtle, which should be large enough for your purposes (so: I've got a boat, I've got a huge turtle, Ugh, boat-turtle).
This is really something you should be putting towards your DM though, and let him make the rules, as this almost certainly has to be home-brewed in some way, and even if an example is available, he'd still have to agree to you actually getting your hands on something like this.

ShurikVch
2017-06-10, 01:23 PM
How about to turn a ship and turtle into a single creature?

1. Build Medium (or Small) -sized working model of the ship in question
2. Acquire some Medium or Large-sized turtle (I suggesting Warturtle from Dragon #343)
3. Animate ship's model as a Medium (or Small) Animated Object; cast persisted Greater Humanoid Essence on it
4. Take the turtle and the temporary-Humanoid ship; combine* them into Tauric Creature
5. Apply* Kaiju template for expanding it to full working size - because most of ships are Colossal-sized

*Ask the DM; it it's OK, then apply templates via ritual, or usage of Wish/Miracle spells

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-11, 03:37 AM
Do you have a trained and/or willing turtle? Just asking because you're dead if it as much as rolls over, let alone if it dives.

Assuming you have one I assume it's already the size of your ship, so the kaiju template thing won't work. I'd say pull into a dock, build some sort of crane to hold the ship up, disassemble the bottom of the ship and rebuild it on top of the turtle, with a bunch of straps and such to keep it in place. Then argue really hard that a hollow wooden ship would be so much lighter than a turtle that size that it should easily be able to hold it.

hamishspence
2017-06-11, 03:48 AM
Zaratans (Magical Beast, Turtle-shaped) from Arms & Equipment Guide aren't just Colossal, they're 80 ft (narrowest dimension). Thus, a big ship can fit on the thing's back without looking too big for the turtle.

DrMotives
2017-06-11, 08:38 AM
I was going to suggest the Zaratan too. It's literally the trope of "This isn't actually an island, it's a big turtle!" I have an NPC pirate who while he doesn't have a living Zaratan, named his ship that because it's crafted to look like a palace mounted on a giant turtle.

Jay R
2017-06-11, 09:41 AM
I keep hearing this discussion in Dr. Evil's voice:

"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have turtles with frickin' ships attached to their backs!"

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-11, 10:52 AM
Umm... lots and lots of sovereign glue?

ShurikVch
2017-06-11, 12:27 PM
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, Mobile Stronghold (Sailing); NPC Binding (Zaratan)
Just build it with ship-like looks