PDA

View Full Version : Checks For Building A Domino Chain?

Afgncaap5
2017-06-09, 04:59 PM
Just for funsies: what check or checks would you allow/force for a player who's trying to build an impressive domino chain?

Naturally, Craft (Domino Chain) feels appropriate, but that's a cop out.

Off the top of my head, other answers might include...

Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering)
Craft (Woodworking, masonry, children's toys, anything involving multiple tiny rectangular blocks...)
Sleight of Hand? (not really trying to hide anything, but...)
Concentration
Perform/Craft (painting, sculpting, percussion, etc. if you want the finished product to be artistic or the process to be musical or something)
...Balance?

And, of course, a good old fashioned Dexterity check...

Any others that come to mind?

tedcahill2
2017-06-09, 05:39 PM
Just for funsies: what check or checks would you allow/force for a player who's trying to build an impressive domino chain?

Naturally, Craft (Domino Chain) feels appropriate, but that's a cop out.

Off the top of my head, other answers might include...

Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering)
Craft (Woodworking, masonry, children's toys, anything involving multiple tiny rectangular blocks...)
Sleight of Hand? (not really trying to hide anything, but...)
Concentration
Perform/Craft (painting, sculpting, percussion, etc. if you want the finished product to be artistic or the process to be musical or something)
...Balance?

And, of course, a good old fashioned Dexterity check...

Any others that come to mind?
When you say "impressive" do you mean actually being built to impress someone?

If you want a check to conceptualize a chain that would impress someone I would say an INT check.

If you are talking about actually setting up the dominoes I would say and DEX check, but you should be able to take 10 or 20 on it (unless you're attempting this in combat and it's actually a Rube Goldberg machine that ends with a massive boulder on a giants head).

Presenting the domino chain in an impressive way might be perform or just CHA.

Ellrin
2017-06-09, 05:41 PM
I'd say Knowledge (architecture & engineering) is the most sensible option. There's a certain level of dexterity necessary to build any domino chain, but if you want to make an impressive one, it's really more a feat of knowing what you're doing (and planning and patience) than it is a feat of craftiness or manual dexterity.

You could add a Dex check to make sure they don't mess it up while in the process (maybe one for every hour of work, if you really want to go full simulationist), but I think the main thing to determine how good it is in the end is the Knowledge check.

If you don't want to force multiple checks but still want to restrict the practice to someone with good manual coordination, you could just add a minimum Dex requirement for this specific action.

Gildedragon
2017-06-09, 08:55 PM
Kn Arch-Eng + Disable Device

Afgncaap5
2017-06-10, 12:22 AM
I don't know if I'd use Disable Device... though I *might* use that for a check to rework a Domino Chain so that it has a different result.