PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Character Concept: The Knight Rogue

Matrota
2017-06-09, 07:57 PM
I was recently inspired to try and create a character that was a knight, but not in the common sense. Obviously, the knight class in D&D is god-awful, but the concept is what's key. See, a knight isn't necessarily a warrior in full plate who hits heavy and is always fights honest and true. Knight is actually a social class, a title meaning a man-at-arms. This doesn't set any real limitations except that you be battle-ready and have a social rank. So, I wanted to create a rogue-like character who had such standing, and was referred to by the titles befitting a true knight, yet didn't conform to the stereotype given to knights.

For this, I wanted to come to the giants here and ask some advice. I got the fluff for it, but optimization has never been my forte. I'm thinking for this character that they are fine with ambushing in the field and, in a typical duel format, uses feinting to expose an opponent's weakness while laughing and patronizingly giving advice to lower their morale. I'd probably use a rogue as a base class for the sneak attacks and skillmonkey goodness. What sort of build would you guys recommend in terms of prestige classes though? How feat-intensive is it to try and optimize feinting? Is it possible to do TWF and feint?

Gildedragon
2017-06-09, 08:15 PM
So essentially a sort of sneak with aristocratic leanings.

So high charisma is probably a must.
Cha to damage can be gotten in quite a few ways. Aim for that.

Sneak attack or no sneak attack?
Feinting is feat intensive to do good, but it can give your character a distinctive style

You may want a way to reliably get the Insightful Feint spell on you

Matrota
2017-06-09, 08:41 PM
So essentially a sort of sneak with aristocratic leanings.

So high charisma is probably a must.
Cha to damage can be gotten in quite a few ways. Aim for that.

Sneak attack or no sneak attack?
Feinting is feat intensive to do good, but it can give your character a distinctive style

You may want a way to reliably get the Insightful Feint spell on you

Definitely high charisma, that fits the fluff and probably the build. I'd like to use sneak attack, because that makes his feinting much more devastating. Tbh I might not even need a crazy amount of sneak attack damage, but I'd like it to be noticeable.

Waker
2017-06-09, 09:18 PM
How about using the Riposte Scout ACF? The damage isn't as great as SA, but it applies anytime you are attacked (whether successful or not) and doesn't require flanking, flat-footed or moving. You also get a bonus to AC. The class also grants a few feats that might be helpful, like Combat Expertise should you go the feinting route. Maybe consider grabbing Karmic Strike and just make up for getting hit by hitting them back more.

Zombulian
2017-06-09, 10:00 PM
I was recently inspired to try and create a character that was a knight, but not in the common sense. Obviously, the knight class in D&D is god-awful, but the concept is what's key. See, a knight isn't necessarily a warrior in full plate who hits heavy and is always fights honest and true. Knight is actually a social class, a title meaning a man-at-arms. This doesn't set any real limitations except that you be battle-ready and have a social rank. So, I wanted to create a rogue-like character who had such standing, and was referred to by the titles befitting a true knight, yet didn't conform to the stereotype given to knights.

For this, I wanted to come to the giants here and ask some advice. I got the fluff for it, but optimization has never been my forte. I'm thinking for this character that they are fine with ambushing in the field and, in a typical duel format, uses feinting to expose an opponent's weakness while laughing and patronizingly giving advice to lower their morale. I'd probably use a rogue as a base class for the sneak attacks and skillmonkey goodness. What sort of build would you guys recommend in terms of prestige classes though? How feat-intensive is it to try and optimize feinting? Is it possible to do TWF and feint?

Aristocrat 1 (for that sweet sweet starting gold and martial weapon proficiency also all armor and shield proficiencies goddamn. Full plate and a tower shield rogue here we go)/Rogue 1/Riposte Scout 3/Rogue X
Swift Ambusher + Karmic Strike and all those goodies.
The type of guy who wins duels but no one likes.

Edit: Maybe Invisible Blade for feinting

Matrota
2017-06-09, 10:04 PM
How about using the Riposte Scout ACF? The damage isn't as great as SA, but it applies anytime you are attacked (whether successful or not) and doesn't require flanking, flat-footed or moving. You also get a bonus to AC. The class also grants a few feats that might be helpful, like Combat Expertise should you go the feinting route. Maybe consider grabbing Karmic Strike and just make up for getting hit by hitting them back more.

Riposte scout does seem kinda fun tbh. I've never really looked at scouts but they have some nice features. Does Karmic Strike stack with Combat Reflexes?

Matrota
2017-06-09, 10:09 PM
Aristocrat 1 (for that sweet sweet starting gold and martial weapon proficiency)/Rogue 1/Riposte Scout 3/Rogue X
Swift Ambusher + Karmic Strike and all those goodies.
The type of guy who wins duels but no one likes.

Edit: Maybe Invisible Blade for feinting

Invisible blade seems nice, and being able to feint as a free action and take 10 on it is really helpful. Scout/rogue will probably work well, and of course aristocrat is befitting of a knight anyways.

daremetoidareyo
2017-06-09, 11:03 PM
With rogue skillpoints you can take disable device and knowledge architecture engineering to make a guy who is a trained engineer...explain sneak attack damage as premium optimal strike periods. Make him technical.

Waker
2017-06-09, 11:26 PM
Riposte scout does seem kinda fun tbh. I've never really looked at scouts but they have some nice features. Does Karmic Strike stack with Combat Reflexes?

It works just fine to my knowledge.