PDA

View Full Version : "Attack drone" type spells/powers/etc?

danielxcutter
2017-06-09, 08:17 PM
Are there ways to replicate the Attack Drone (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AttackDrone) trope, or at least do something that functions similarly?

A lot of summoning spells can do something like this to an extent, and there are other things too, like Cloud of Knives and Steeldance. I'm not sure if Lightning Ring counts, but I admit that I'm curious about those kinds of abilities as well.

Things like Glorious Master of the Elements and Master of Earth don't count, since they're more like granting abilities to the caster, and they burn standard actions.

Gildedragon
2017-06-09, 08:42 PM
Necrotic Skullbomb + Flameskull (undead)

danielxcutter
2017-06-09, 08:46 PM
Necrotic Skullbomb + Flameskull (undead)

Are Flameskulls even valid targets?

Still pretty hilarious, though.

Gildedragon
2017-06-09, 08:53 PM
Are Flameskulls even valid targets?

Still pretty hilarious, though.

I don't see why not; all NSB requires is a humanoid skull, provided that the Flameskull is made from such a skull there's no reason for it not to work.

danielxcutter
2017-06-09, 08:55 PM
I don't see why not; all NSB requires is a humanoid skull, provided that the Flameskull is made from such a skull there's no reason for it not to work.

Well, Flameskulls are creatures instead of objects. I'm not sure either way, but I can see the reasoning behind this quite well.

And it's hilarious. I'd bend the rules just for this, even if it didn't do much.

Telonius
2017-06-09, 09:42 PM
Astral Constructs (from Psionics) and Soulspark Familiars (from Magic of Incarnum) both try to be this, with varying degrees of success.

danielxcutter
2017-06-09, 09:48 PM
Astral Constructs (from Psionics) and Soulspark Familiars (from Magic of Incarnum) both try to be this, with varying degrees of success.

I forget what Soulsparks do, but I do remember that there were two Menu C options that can make Astral Constructs into artillery. Are they any good?

And what about the SSFs?

Arbane
2017-06-09, 10:15 PM
Spiritual Weapon / Spiritual Ally spells?

In PF, there's the Burning Gaze spell. It takes an action to use, but you could cast it on your familiar and have it ride on your shoulder, setting fire to enemies.

danielxcutter
2017-06-09, 10:20 PM
Spiritual Weapon / Spiritual Ally spells?

In PF, there's the Burning Gaze spell. It takes an action to use, but you could cast it on your familiar and have it ride on your shoulder, setting fire to enemies.

I remember Spiritual Weapon, but where was Spiritual Ally from again?

Edit: Could you cast Glorious Master of the Elements on your familiar?

The Viscount
2017-06-11, 03:43 PM
I forget what Soulsparks do, but I do remember that there were two Menu C options that can make Astral Constructs into artillery. Are they any good?

And what about the SSFs?
Yes, menu C is very good. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/astralConstruct.htm)

Soulspark familiars can shoot little blasts of energy for a small amount of damage, and can boost their attack/damage, AC, saves, or fast healing using your essentia. They're not very good at combat, but they have some skills of their own

I remember Spiritual Weapon, but where was Spiritual Ally from again?

Edit: Could you cast Glorious Master of the Elements on your familiar?

I don't know of Spiritual Ally. Spirit Ally (and lesser and greater) are from oriental adventures, and you can summon a spirit (fey, elemental, incorporeal undead, and creatures with the spirit subtype) to serve you, the advantage being they ask for a favor in return instead of money.

You cannot cast Glorious Master of the Elements on your familiar. It is a targeted spell with a target of 1 creature. That doesn't really make sense with the spell description, but by RAW the target isn't You so you cannot share it.

Mordenkainen's Trusted Bloodhound can kind of do this, it's like Faithful Hound except it can track and move.