PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hand's Detachment as a familiar: What are it's stats?

EisenKreutzer
2017-06-09, 09:08 PM
With Hand's Detachment, you can make your severed hand your familiar. I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly what this hand familiars stats would be, though.

A little help?

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add: I'm planning on giving the hand familiar the Mauler archetype. How do I figure out it's stats as a medium creature? And what creature type would this monstrosity be? The feat only says it loses it's Undead type, but not what type it gains. Does it gain my type? Monstrous Humanoid? Magical Beast?
Also, how do I figure out the hand familiars new Con score? Since it's no longer undead, it should gain a con score, but I have no idea how to do that.

Zanos
2017-06-09, 09:12 PM
The hand acts as a wizard’s familiar, using your character level as your effective wizard level, except it doesn’t gain the alertness, share spells, deliver touch spells, spell resistance, or scry on familiar abilities. Use the statistics for a crawling hand to represent the detached hand, save that the hand isn’t undead, doesn’t have the mark quarry ability, and shares your alignment.

Isn't that the info you need?

EisenKreutzer
2017-06-09, 09:14 PM
Isn't that the info you need?

Yeah, I forgot to add some important details to my question. I edited the OP.

Ellrin
2017-06-10, 02:33 AM
There's no official FAQ on the hand's Con score that I know of, so it'd really be up to the DM, but it seems fair to give it the same Con as a crawling hand's Cha, since Cha handles all Con-related derived stats for undead.

As for adjusting to Medium, I suppose you would use the table from monster advancement to determine the hand's new stats at Medium--so +10 Str, -6 Dex, +2 Con (as well as the size-based changes appropriate to AC, attack, CMB/CMD, Fly, and Stealth), and also add the +2 to Strength from the Mauler archetype's ability to change size, as well as any other bonuses to Strength the mauler gets based on your character level.

Psyren
2017-06-10, 11:39 AM
I'd make the hand a construct. That way you don't have to worry about giving it a Con score or its type.

There is, at least currently, nothing official.

Firest Kathon
2017-06-10, 12:19 PM
I would start the hand witha Con score of 10, as that gives the same modifier as having no Con score (+/-0).

As for the size adjustment, I would say that is covered in the rules for advancing monsters (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement/):

Old Size
New Size
Str
Dex
Con
Natural Armor

Diminutive
Tiny
+2
–2
Same
Same

Tiny
Small
+4
–2
Same
Same

Small
Medium
+4
–2
+2
Same

That would add up to Str +10 (+2 from the Mauler archetype), Dex -6, Con +2. However, that table is not consistent with spells like Animal Growth (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/animal-growth/) (Str +8, Dex -2, Con +4 per step, but a 5th level spell) or Enlarge Person (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/enlarge-person/) (Str +2, Dex -2, Con +0 per step), so I'm not sure if anyone even at Paizo has an idea what those increases should be.

As for the type, familiars are usually Magical Beasts.