PDA

View Full Version : bite of there werethingy + wild shape

Baby Gary
2017-06-09, 09:19 PM
does bite of the werethingy affect someone in wild shape? I need to know because this is a potential +8 AC for my druid (45 AC at 9th with this)

Flickerdart
2017-06-09, 09:28 PM
does bite of the werethingy affect someone in wild shape? I need to know because this is a potential +8 AC for my druid (45 AC at 9th with this)
None of the stacking restrictions apply here. As long as you cast the spell after you Wildshape (since Wildshape sets your stats to the animal's), you're golden.

Braininthejar2
2017-06-09, 09:37 PM
A werebear dire lion is a staple of many builds.

You can actually be a werebear bear if you want (plus str, but no pounce)

Vizzerdrix
2017-06-09, 11:01 PM
Just looked through BoEF and cant find bite of the werethingy. Can I get a page number?

Khedrac
2017-06-10, 01:55 AM
Spell Compendium page 28 onwards.

stanprollyright
2017-06-10, 02:34 AM
Just looked through BoEF and cant find bite of the werethingy. Can I get a page number?

Right after Bigby's Pimp Hand and before Evard's Whatever Dingus

eggynack
2017-06-10, 02:59 AM
As long as you cast the spell after you Wildshape (since Wildshape sets your stats to the animal's), you're golden.
I'm not quite so sure of that. The spell is presumably something external to yourself. It doesn't set your stats to these higher stats. It applies a series of buffs. Wild shape, meanwhile, kinda sets your stats to match the animal's, but in another sense you actually just have those stats. Personally, I would expect the base form to have a set of stats which are augmented by the spell, and then you become the animal, and those are your new baseline stats, and the spell applies the bonuses on top of the baseline. You would have it that you case bull's strength, and then you become a brown bear, but because this is setting your end-state stat, the bear itself has 23 strength. Then the spell runs out, and your form actually has worse stats that it would without the spell, I guess. Generally speaking, I consider externality critical to these kinds of questions. You might expect a tome based inherent bonus to go away when you switch forms, because the bonus is actually just part of your stat-line as opposed to a force acting upon you, while I think you'd definitely expect a belt of giant strength to still provide the bonus.

These problems are always hard. I think that the, "Your stats always get perfectly set to this stat line no matter what," reading is self-consistent and holds reasonably with RAW, but it's really wonky and might be wrong. Keep in mind, this is the reading that would probably let wild shape heal both ability damage and ability drain. Or, worse yet, it would not heal those things, but you'd absolutely have the normal stat-line, and then you heal away the damage and you have higher than normal bear-stats, I guess. Wouldn't that be crazy? I sorta love it.

Esprit15
2017-06-10, 06:47 AM
Since they are listed as enhancement bonuses, I imagine they would stay when you wild shape.

Crake
2017-06-10, 07:17 AM
I once had a DM who said you can't wildshape and use bite of the werethingy because "they are both transmutation effects, so one overrides the other". No amount of explaining would help, because I'm pretty sure he just didn't want it to work, so he just fiated it away.

lord_khaine
2017-06-10, 11:30 AM
I once had a DM who said you can't wildshape and use bite of the werethingy because "they are both transmutation effects, so one overrides the other". No amount of explaining would help, because I'm pretty sure he just didn't want it to work, so he just fiated it away.

Well his line of reasoning seems valid. But it would perhaps just have been more fair to ban the Bite series.

Flickerdart
2017-06-10, 12:40 PM
Well his line of reasoning seems valid. But it would perhaps just have been more fair to ban the Bite series.
His line of reasoning is absolutely not valid, because:
a) Wildshape is not a Transmutation because Transmutation is a school of spells and Wildshape is not a spell
b) Stacking rules don't consider the school of a spell or effect anyway

lord_khaine
2017-06-10, 12:57 PM
His line of reasoning is absolutely not valid, because:
a) Wildshape is not a Transmutation because Transmutation is a school of spells and Wildshape is not a spell
b) Stacking rules don't consider the school of a spell or effect anyway

It certainly IS valid if your looking at intent instead of RAW.

Flickerdart
2017-06-10, 02:40 PM
It certainly IS valid if your looking at intent instead of RAW.

Intent of the designers? Certainly not, nothing in the text for either effect even hints that it shouldn't combine with other shape-changing effects. They certainly had the opportunity to address it after publication, too - the [Polymorph] subschool is a thing - but the fact that they never chose to do so is sure evidence that the authors did not intend these effects to conflict.

Esprit15
2017-06-10, 03:19 PM
Intent of the designers? Certainly not, nothing in the text for either effect even hints that it shouldn't combine with other shape-changing effects. They certainly had the opportunity to address it after publication, too - the [Polymorph] subschool is a thing - but the fact that they never chose to do so is sure evidence that the authors did not intend these effects to conflict.

Exactly. They would not have made the Bite of the X line give an enhancement bonus if that's why it did.