PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage unarmed strike variant and shadow sun ninja

Darcross
2017-06-10, 05:38 AM
Hello, I am not sure if this has been asked but in the swordsage chapter on the adaptation chapter it says that the swordsage can abaddon his armor proficiency for the monk unarmed strike damage upgrade. Does this mean i am treated as having the improved unarmed strike feat requirement for the shadow sun ninja prestige class (and while i am on this question do i get the stunning fist feat, if i have no monk levels or take it manually, through the monk abilities of shadow sun ninja lvl 1 ?)

Darrin
2017-06-10, 06:19 AM
Hello, I am not sure if this has been asked but in the swordsage chapter on the adaptation chapter it says that the swordsage can abaddon his armor proficiency for the monk unarmed strike damage upgrade. Does this mean i am treated as having the improved unarmed strike feat requirement for the shadow sun ninja prestige class (and while i am on this question do i get the stunning fist feat, if i have no monk levels or take it manually, through the monk abilities of shadow sun ninja lvl 1 ?)

This is not a settled issue. Some people prefer to grant the entirety of the monk's unarmed strike ability, including Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. Some people try to stick to RAW (Rules As Written), with the idea that the adaptation text only grants the unarmed damage listed on the monk table and thus does not grant Improved Unarmed Strike or the other benefits listed in the class description.

Since the Adaptation paragraph is presented a "suggestion" rather than an actual ACF or variant class, there is some additional wiggle room to adapt the class so it's balanced or works best with your group. Personally, I would advise you to give the full benefits of Improved Unarmed Strike, and change the Wis bonus to AC so it applies whenever the Swordsage is wearing no or light armor.

Darcross
2017-06-10, 06:40 AM
I asked this because i am thinking of making a swordsage as a plan b character if my first one dies and as such i saw i can make a unarmed strike character without the monks lawfull nature (found the duality of the shadow sun ninja apealling too). So it remains to establish this with my dm, thanks for answering. But, if you allow me, what about the monk abilities part i asked ?

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-10, 07:02 AM
I asked this because i am thinking of making a swordsage as a plan b character if my first one dies and as such i saw i can make a unarmed strike character without the monks lawfull nature (found the duality of the shadow sun ninja apealling too). So it remains to establish this with my dm, thanks for answering. But, if you allow me, what about the monk abilities part i asked ?

The Stunning Fist question is a bit iffy. But imho you need to take the feat to profit from it.
Regular Monk doesn't have to take "Stunning Fist" either. So imho you profit only if you have the feat. It just lets your shadow sun ninja lvls count as monk lvls if you should have the feat. It isn't a requirement and nowhere in the text or table it is mentioned that you get it as bonus feat (like in the chase of the monk).

edit: you only get Imp. Unarmed Strike for free (unarmed swordsage variant)

Darcross
2017-06-10, 07:51 AM
Thank you for answering