PDA

View Full Version : I have a fear of 'Murderhobo's'...

CrackedChair
2017-06-10, 10:55 AM
So here's the thing, I like to roleplay. But I am just afraid the people I could play with might not share this...

Basically, I am afraid of these players who forgo roleplaying and just get to killing things with no real roleplaying to speak of, other than intimidating, killing things with little qualms of just what the target might be, and I am afraid if they don't agree with how I do things, they might turn and come for me (PC) next...

Is there any safe way around this?

lunaticfringe
2017-06-10, 11:07 AM
Not really. I think you have a touch of anxiety, just chill and try to enjoy yourself. If you find yourself in a Murderhobo game and everyone is fine with it except you that makes you That Guy not them.

CrackedChair
2017-06-10, 11:09 AM
Not really. I think you have a touch of anxiety, just chill and try to enjoy yourself. If you find yourself in a Murderhobo game and everyone is fine with it except you that makes you That Guy not them.

Erm, ok. I guess that does make sense.

Unoriginal
2017-06-10, 11:17 AM
So here's the thing, I like to roleplay. But I am just afraid the people I could play with might not share this...

Basically, I am afraid of these players who forgo roleplaying and just get to killing things with no real roleplaying to speak of, other than intimidating, killing things with little qualms of just what the target might be

Ask everyone you want in the group what's their stance on the subject before letting them in?

Depends if you're playing online or in person with friends, I guess.

Also, while not enjoyable, it's not really something to be afraid at that point.

and I am afraid if they don't agree with how I do things, they might turn and come for me next...

Errr, they're not going to kill you over a RPG. At worse they'll kill your character or want you out of the group.

CrackedChair
2017-06-10, 11:20 AM
Haha, I did not mean literally. I was still talking about my character and her life.

But yeah, I do guess it's not going to be that common. Thanks!

Unoriginal
2017-06-10, 11:24 AM
I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it can be mostly avoided by talking with people, and that if it happens it won't be devastating, just unpleasant. Most groups don't go into "let's kill this PC because the player is annoying" territory, for good reasons.

Question, how much RPG experience do you have?

CrackedChair
2017-06-10, 11:27 AM
I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it can be mostly avoided by talking with people, and that if it happens it won't be devastating, just unpleasant.

Question, how much RPG experience do you have?

I've only DM'ed a group as my first and only game with my family in 5th edition. They had no experience and the gameplay was rather bad without any real good experience as a DM and their total lack of experience as players.

I've done much studying of basic rules in the Player handbook, as well as the DMG and Monster Manual.

Other than that, I have not played any real game as a PC.

EvilAnagram
2017-06-10, 11:34 AM
I've only DM'ed a group as my first and only game with my family in 5th edition. They had no experience and the gameplay was rather bad without any real good experience as a DM and their total lack of experience as players.

I've done much studying of basic rules in the Player handbook, as well as the DMG and Monster Manual.

Other than that, I have not played any real game as a PC.

I know starting something like this for the first time can be challenging, but the hobby is full of people who never quite fit in, so the vast majority of tables you find at local game stores are full of pleasant people who want to help you out. My wife has anxiety problems, so I know saying, "Don't worry," is useless, but know that the potential for fun makes facing those anxieties worth it.

CrackedChair
2017-06-10, 11:38 AM
I know starting something like this for the first time can be challenging, but the hobby is full of people who never quite fit in, so the vast majority of tables you find at local game stores are full of pleasant people who want to help you out. My wife has anxiety problems, so I know saying, "Don't worry," is useless, but know that the potential for fun makes facing those anxieties worth it.

D'awww, thanks for the reassurance. I will be sure to work together with my table!

Dracul3S
2017-06-10, 12:34 PM
I'd like to add the whole 'murderhobo' thing is not nearly the problem it seems. Playing since nearly 30 years now, and never had to deal with even one 'murderhobo'. Most people want to have fun and murdering everything is boring. While that playstyle might exist (as I wrote, I never experienced it), I think it is not actually that popular and never was.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-10, 12:52 PM
It's okay for things to be sloppy and uncertain, even on your hundredth game. D&D isn't really about a right or wrong way to play, it's about enjoying yourself in a different world. For all everyone's talk on optimization, balance, story, even roleplaying, that's all anyone's ever really trying to do. Go out there and have fun.

soupnun
2017-06-10, 12:52 PM
Playing murderhobo style can be fun, and a good introduction to the game.

In my experience, 'hobo games have more roleplaying and in-character speaking than most games, as the roles and circumstances are relatively limited, so it's a lot easier to find the right voice and stick with it. Your character goals are clear, and drive the way you interact with the world. Your relation to the rest of the party is interesting, and might eventually involve spreadsheets. How are those hirelings with crowbars paid, anyways?

Try out the different styles of the game before you judge too hard. See how the people you are playing with are having fun, and try to have fun with them. Make an effort to be 'this' guy.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-10, 01:01 PM

Basically, I am afraid of these players who forgo roleplaying and just get to killing things with no real roleplaying to speak of, other than intimidating, killing things with little qualms of just what the target might be, and I am afraid if they don't agree with how I do things, they might turn and come for me (PC) next...

I'm not trying to be mean here but do you have anxiety problems, among other things. I only ask because the other day you ask how to stop a PC moon Druid from being a d . When y'all haven't even played yet. You asked how to handle the party getting I to trouble in town and your thought was to just run away leaving the party to there fate. Now you warrying about murderhobo. And I assume the game still haven't started yet to.

My friend just calm down stop over thinking things. And just enjoy having fun making friends if it a new table. Just let the game go we're it gos. Relax it's a game. So what if it is a nothing but combat focus on that and have fun. If you want roleplay there are many many sites on the internet were you do nothing but roleplay.

RELAX AND HAVE FUN!!!!!

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-10, 01:03 PM

And if he's wrong, those people are utter wastes of space that you shouldn't let get you down. Don't let jerks ruin your hobby.

CrackedChair
2017-06-10, 01:06 PM
I guess you are right about the anxiety. Planned events do scare me, and a plan I have almost always gets shot before I can initiate it.

I tend to ask questions just so I don't have to be at a loss for what to do later, hence why I post a lot here.

As for the Druid question... well, that was just more along the lines of curiosity than anxiety. :smallsmile:

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-10, 01:10 PM
I guess you are right about the anxiety. Planned events do scare me, and a plan I have almost always gets shot before I can initiate it.

I tend to ask questions just so I don't have to be at a loss for what to do later, hence why I post a lot here.

A lot of people have issues with anxiety, and probably a lot on these boards knows someone with social problems. I had severe social anxiety (I still do, but it's much better now), so I understand completely. If posting here helps, we'll be here to answer your questions.

CrackedChair
2017-06-10, 01:11 PM
A lot of people have issues with anxiety, and probably a lot on these boards knows someone with social problems. I had severe social anxiety (I still do, but it's much better now), so I understand completely. If posting here helps, we'll be here to answer your questions.

D'awwww... Thanks! :redface:

DragonSorcererX
2017-06-10, 01:18 PM

What are you talking about? Killing things is Roleplaying! It is when the descriptions achieve their climax, when feelings burn with all the might, and when things explode! (Unless you play like a bunch of zombies who simply say "I attack..." instead of "I lift my Greatsword up and swing it down with all my might, then I quickly rotate it in my hands and swing it back upwards! You can see my muscles clenching and you can feel the life force buring inside my arms as the dust lifts from the ground because of my raging spirit!")

CrackedChair
2017-06-10, 01:21 PM
What are you talking about? Killing things is Roleplaying! It is when the descriptions achieve their climax, when feelings burn with all the might, and when things explode! (Unless you play like a bunch of zombies who simply say "I attack..." instead of "I lift my Greatsword up and swing it down with all my might, then I quickly rotate it in my hands and swing it back upwards! You can see my muscles clenching and you can feel the life force buring inside my arms as the dust lifts from the ground because of my raging spirit!")

True, true! Even if the dice come out, roleplay is still possible!

Sir cryosin
2017-06-10, 01:27 PM

As for the Druid question... well, that was just more along the lines of curiosity than anxiety. :smallsmile:

I have a fear of people being disappointed in me. It was bad to were I was always second-guessing everything I did even second-guessing the second guessing. I only had a small group of friends I can count them on my hands. And I only met them through other friend. But I have been putting into effect of not caring what people think and just do what I find fun. Speaking up, saying what's no my mine, and just being honest. I also just go with the flow stop worrying about things.

It's not easy but it is easyer to start small. Make a friend and open up to them. Then make more friends. Think about what makes you happy and surround yourself with it. It all starts with you.

ghost_warlock
2017-06-10, 01:28 PM
Most of my groups have moved to methods of character advancement that don't rely on XP from combat or kills. This is true whether we're playing D&D or another system like FFG Star Wars or Numenera.

Usually, we level up based on succeeding on mission/story goals or, occasionally, because the GM realizes that "oh, yeah, you guys haven't leveled up in a while...you should probably do that now." :smalltongue:

Sigreid
2017-06-10, 02:11 PM
So, Murder Hobo's are a thing. I've done it myself from time to time. It can be a lot of fun to be that chaotic evil group that thrives on the pain of others.

That being said, most groups and players don't do that often. Unless it's the point of the game from the start, what it usually is is an indication that the game is moving too slowly for the other players and they are getting board and making their own excitement in the easiest, fastest way possible.

If you do find yourself in a group whose style makes you uncomfortable you have 2 options really. Slog on for a bit to see if you come to like it, or if they come to like what you do and adapt or find another group.

Lots of people play. Some group out there is going to be a good fit.

Also, murder hobo for new players can be a good thing. I does tend to help them get the mechanics and understanding of their abilities faster as they are always in use.

Beelzebubba
2017-06-10, 03:20 PM

You know what? I recommend watching a few episodes of Critical Role. That group has an excellent dynamic with the players, the DM is amazing at making the world come alive, and they have a lot of fun. I've picked up a few tricks from them, they might give you a good 'model' on how to DM to encourage role play.

There are a ton of other resources on YouTube that are great for DMs. Matt Mercer (the DM of that Critical Role) has some good advice videos, a guy named Matthew Colville has some amazing tips and tricks, ranging from super basic to advanced...I'm sure other people can suggest more.

Anyway, the way to cure anxiety is to prepare, prepare prepare! Confidence will be a lot easier if you come in with a game plan, some techniques that can guide the style of the game, and an adventure designed to reward good role playing.

Good luck!

Âmesang
2017-06-10, 04:07 PM
My current group is definitely the "murder hobo'n" type… and even when some of us try to steer clear of the idea it's all too easy to fall back into it; for example my character is chaotic good and understands murder in self defense… but I'm trying to avoid out-right cold-blooded murder if non-lethal means of incapacitation is available—it also might help to try and talk with (at least important looking) enemies instead of always busting in and killing everything that does-or-does-not breath.

Although I feel some of it might be dependent on how well the referee describes the enemies—if a group of orcs are described as just "a group of orcs," then, to me, that makes them feel more like a statistic than actual people who's reasons for living may not be any less important than the characters'.

CaptainSarathai
2017-06-10, 10:30 PM
Typically, when people gripe about "murder-hobos" it's from a DMing perspective. Typically, it's not even because characters are just running amok killing shopkeeps and obvious quest-givers, so much as them just killing whatever they find in the wilds, and wanting nothing but combat.

There's two issues at play here:

1) If, as a DM, you are giving the party nothing but enemy encounters in the wild, you are conditioning them to see any wilderness encounter as combat. They won't listen to the talking stag, if the talking bear 2 miles back tried to lure them into it's den and devour them.

2) If the players want nothing but combat, it could be a few things. Most people like to say that it's because the dialogue and non-combat portions of the campaign are bad. That's not always true. Some players will never find dialogue particularly fun. Others might recognize that D&D is meant to be more of a combative game anyway, and that the rules really support this - this is especially true for the "martial" character types, who don't have any social spells to give them additional non-combat choices.

If your party is murdering rando NPCs, that's not murderhoboism, that's an evil aligned campaign. Those usually fizzle out early on, if only because many people find them terribly hard to DM. If they're just blazing a blood trail through the wilderness, well then, that's kinda what D&D is all about.