PDA

View Full Version : Favored Weapon

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-03, 11:36 PM
Random thought for the fighter class: Favored Weapon

Same progression as the ranger's favored enemy class feature, except the bonus applies to damage, and to disarm and sunder attempts, and to trip attempts with trip weapons.

Thinker
2007-08-03, 11:55 PM
So wait...he gets bonuses against people wielding certain weapons? That seems a little bit worthless in most settings. This becomes especially true as levels are gained and monsters have fewer weapons and more claws/bites/slams.

Dhavaer
2007-08-03, 11:58 PM
So wait...he gets bonuses against people wielding certain weapons?

I think it's when the Fighter uses that weapon.

Thinker
2007-08-03, 11:59 PM
That would be better, but would make Weapon Specialization obsolete.

Dhavaer
2007-08-04, 12:05 AM
That would be better, but would make Weapon Specialization obsolete.

Not much of a change, then.

Thinker
2007-08-04, 01:13 AM
True, but I was thinking for a core-only game where it is a feat fighters take (because they have no choice :smalltongue: )

ZeroNumerous
2007-08-04, 01:14 AM
Meh. Weapon Spec. would just increase the damage by another +2. In all honesty, I feel bad for someone playing Fighter in a Core Only game.

BardicDuelist
2007-08-04, 01:14 AM
Technically, it would stack, and so still be some what viable in a core only game.

Edit: Ninja'd

Hazkali
2007-08-04, 04:05 AM
I used this idea to form the basis of my Mercenary class. Follow the link in my sig for details!

Matthew
2007-08-05, 04:27 AM
Honestly, why not just grant the Fighter +1 DB per +1 BAB? It's barely even overpowered.

Roog
2007-08-05, 07:36 AM
Random thought for the fighter class: Favored Weapon

This could lead to the same problem the ranger has: It's difficult for the player to know early on what favoured weapon/enemy will be important later in the game.

Tengu
2007-08-05, 07:44 AM
This could lead to the same problem the ranger has: It's difficult for the player to know early on what favoured weapon/enemy will be important later in the game.

A good DM is bound to play to the player characters' strengths and weaknesses - if the party ranger has Plants as his favored enemies, the party should fight plants at more than one point, if one of the characters has a flaw Fobia: Emus, those bird should make an appearance. Tailoring the game so it fits your party more is one of the keys to good DMing.

Roog
2007-08-05, 08:17 AM
A good DM is bound to play to the player characters' strengths and weaknesses - if the party ranger has Plants as his favored enemies, the party should fight plants at more than one point, if one of the characters has a flaw Fobia: Emus, those bird should make an appearance. Tailoring the game so it fits your party more is one of the keys to good DMing.

Another way to handle this is to give the characters a chance to do what they want. If a ranger has favored enemy: Plants, then he probably took it intending to fight plants. If he chooses not to go on a quest across the world, and instead remains near his home to drive back the dreaded forest, thats a appropriate choice for him. On the other hand if he does leave, he does so knowing that his special ability will only give him occasional chances to shine.

However, it still means that the character can be left with favored enemy: Animals (over level 12) or Favoured Weapon: Dire Flail.

kjones
2007-08-05, 10:26 AM
This issue is no different than giving players weapons in which they are proficient. If your player is going TWF and picked up Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Orc Double Axe, for $DEITY's sake, throw him an Orc Double Axe every once in a while.

Neon Knight
2007-08-05, 10:32 AM
This is pretty unnecessary. The fighter's weakness has always been being bound to the full attack action in order to apply most of his hitting power, plus a general lack of mobility and poor saves (Fort aside) making him vulnerable to save or suck and or die.

While this might grant his normal strikes more power, it will not completely fix the problem all on its own, in this man's opinion.