PDA

View Full Version : How's this for a concept?

Klorox
2017-06-10, 12:13 PM
Air genasi (for flavor, not optimization reasons) tempest cleric 2/storm sorcerer X.

Character thinks he's a scion of a storm god, which would be fun. Charavter would be mostly charisma based, and the channel divinity would rock since you can maximize thunder or lightning damage. Imagine chain lightning or a lightning bolt!

Plus, I just think he'd look cool as hell: an imposing light blue skinned humanoid with crackling lightning about him, almost floating on air in plate armor, wielding a spear and shield, the quick to anger racial trait would be really cool with a maximized charisma.

Sigreid
2017-06-10, 12:23 PM
It's good. Just don't neglect his wisdom since that is what his spells will key off of.

Unoriginal
2017-06-10, 12:26 PM
Could be cool.

If I was the DM, it'd find it fun to make it so that he actually has a powerful storm entity in his ancestry.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-10, 01:13 PM
If I was the DM, it'd find it fun to make it so that he actually has a powerful storm entity in his ancestry.

Question is, which one. Plenty of room to be...Interesting there.

And remember to not neglect your wisdom, since you need that to multiclass into and out of cleric.

I don't see an issue with this concept. I mean, wouldn't this be exactly how a air genasi might be in Dark Sun? Or in any rural place without a great deal of magic. Seems like this could lead to a very fun and interesting character.

DragonSorcererX
2017-06-10, 01:27 PM
Could be cool.

I encourage this! The more the character looks like a living magical nuke when someone casts Detect Magic the better!

ghost_warlock
2017-06-10, 01:33 PM
It's good. Just don't neglect his wisdom since that is what his spells will key off of.

This character would probably work fine with just a 13 or 14 Wisdom if Klorox is only dipping cleric.

I played a sorcerer that dipped cleric from 1st-20th last year and I most of my cleric spells were things like bless or shield of faith that didn't rely on Wisdom at all. Occasionally, I'd throw out a twinned healing word, but that was about the only spell that having a higher Wisdom would have mattered for.

Klorox
2017-06-10, 02:21 PM
This character would probably work fine with just a 13 or 14 Wisdom if Klorox is only dipping cleric.

I played a sorcerer that dipped cleric from 1st-20th last year and I most of my cleric spells were things like bless or shield of faith that didn't rely on Wisdom at all. Occasionally, I'd throw out a twinned healing word, but that was about the only spell that having a higher Wisdom would have mattered for.

That's what I was thinking

Mechanically, I'd get heavy armor which would really increase survivability.

ghost_warlock
2017-06-11, 06:01 AM
I'm not trying to dissuade you from a character concept you think is really cool, but keep in mind that air genasi is very poorly optimized for this kind of character.

If you're using point buy for your stats, you're going to have a hard time covering your proverbial bases. Str 15 for heavy armor. Wis 13+ for cleric multiclassing. Cha as high as you can possibly get it (which with point buy will be a lowly 15 at creation). And, of course, you don't want to dump Con. Even dumping Dex and Int as low as you can, with point buy you'll still end up with fairly low ability scores. It'll be 12th level before you'll be able to max Cha even if you increase it at every opportunity. When I played a sorcerer/cleric with a similar theme, I went with a bronze dragonborn, which also has close flavor ties to storms and lightning - the ability boosts to Str and Cha were a big help in getting all my stats where I needed them.

If you're rolling for stats, it's possible you'll get lucky with a few of your rolls, but it might still be stretching your stats a bit thin.

Best of luck! :smallsmile: