PDA

View Full Version : Optimization ASI or Resilient: WIS?

NecessaryWeevil
2017-06-10, 05:22 PM
Hello playground,

I have achieved 10th level (Barb 5, Rogue 4, Fighter 1). I am a dual-wielding DEX barbarian with a homebrew totem path. The level 3 benefit gives me Horde Breaker when I rage. I started with Rogue so my save proficiencies are DEX and INT. Other party members are a Life Cleric, a Valour Bard and some sort of Ranger / Battlemaster Fighter combination who tries to fight at range when possible.

Since this is my 4th Rogue level, I'm trying to decide between a Feat or an ASI. Since I've invested a lot in making DEX as central as possible, I'm not sure whether to push DEX to 20 or take resilient: WIS (my WIS score is currently 13). We haven't seen many Wisdom saves, although we just took down an coven of hags, and I weathered many Wisdom saves only due to a combination of lucky rolls, use of the Inspiration mechanic, and my allies' gifts of Bless and Bardic Inspiration.

Any thoughts? Feat, or ASI?

Specter
2017-06-10, 05:45 PM
If you're not a Berserker, Res Wis all the way. You don't want to turn on your party or run like a girl.

Corran
2017-06-10, 06:15 PM
I'd go with resilient wisdom too. Better safe than sorry.

If you're not a Berserker, Res Wis all the way. You don't want to turn on your party or run like a girl.
Heh, I am sure she (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLUI6GxwNxk) would have a different opinion...:smalltongue:

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-10, 06:29 PM
You're getting to the level where failing a Wisdom saving throw means you're either useless in a fight or, worse, a dangerous liability. While it's mostly only going to come up when you fight casters, the effect is devastating enough that I have never once played a character in 5e with less than 12 Wisdom or failed to pick up Resilient: Wisdom at some point.

Grab that feat and don't look back!

Specter
2017-06-10, 06:37 PM
I'd go with resilient wisdom too. Better safe than sorry.

Heh, I am sure she (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLUI6GxwNxk) would have a different opinion...:smalltongue:

Like a sissy girl*

Fixed.

Findulidas
2017-06-11, 08:53 AM
Res wis is always a good feat.

It obviously depends on your wis level though. My fighter at the same level (who had good rolls) is sitting on a wis of 16 so its less of a problem. However 13 is just +1 modifier so its more of a problem.

Citan
2017-06-11, 12:16 PM
Hello playground,

I have achieved 10th level (Barb 5, Rogue 4, Fighter 1). I am a dual-wielding DEX barbarian with a homebrew totem path. The level 3 benefit gives me Horde Breaker when I rage. I started with Rogue so my save proficiencies are DEX and INT. Other party members are a Life Cleric, a Valour Bard and some sort of Ranger / Battlemaster Fighter combination who tries to fight at range when possible.

Since this is my 4th Rogue level, I'm trying to decide between a Feat or an ASI. Since I've invested a lot in making DEX as central as possible, I'm not sure whether to push DEX to 20 or take resilient: WIS (my WIS score is currently 13). We haven't seen many Wisdom saves, although we just took down an coven of hags, and I weathered many Wisdom saves only due to a combination of lucky rolls, use of the Inspiration mechanic, and my allies' gifts of Bless and Bardic Inspiration.

Any thoughts? Feat, or ASI?
A 13 in stat is rarely a nice sight.
I'd go with Resilient:Wisdom without a second thought. EXCEPT, maybe, if you are the one primary scout/spy/trap-checker of the party, in which case Observant may be a good choice.

NecessaryWeevil
2017-06-11, 10:15 PM
I am, but I took Expertise in Stealth and Perception, so that doesn't seem necessary. :)