PDA

View Full Version : DM Help informative descriptions in character in battle

Mike Miller
2017-06-10, 08:07 PM
My group is very good about not metagaming for any enemy that is encountered for the first time (on subsequent encounters it isn't as big a deal for us to comment on weaknesses or whatnot). However, I noticed a certain lack of description on my part while the group fought barghests for the first time. They have damage reduction and some party members didn't have magical weapons at the time. I couldn't think of a great way to describe the decreased impact these players had in combat, without it seeming rather obvious what I would be pointing out.

How do other DMs handle such details in the moment of battle? I believe I ended up saying something along the line of, "Your sword connected well but you don't feel like it did as much as it should have."

Gildedragon
2017-06-10, 09:17 PM
Your blade lands true on the beast's hide, though fails to bloody the beast

You can feel your blade connect, but it doesn't, or can't, penetrate the beast

Your arrows jut out of the beast's flesh, but the fur around them is unbloodied

KillianHawkeye
2017-06-11, 06:04 PM
I would think that barghests might be a good instance for using the "immediately healing wounds" description of DR. The characters feel their blow connecting solidly, but can see all or most of the wounds closing as soon as their weapon passes.

Necroticplague
2017-06-11, 06:26 PM
I would think that barghests might be a good instance for using the "immediately healing wounds" description of DR. The characters feel their blow connecting solidly, but can see all or most of the wounds closing as soon as their weapon passes.

This. I'd also combine is by pointing out how it works when they take normal damage. If you use the 'instant heals back' variety, then you can contrast it with magic weapons seeming to physically burn their wounds so they can't seal.

Mike Miller
2017-06-11, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the input. I like the idea for showing the difference between attacks that beat the DR and those that don't.