PDA

View Full Version : Generalized Civilization thread- Lets talk about taking over the world!

Svata
2017-06-11, 05:34 AM
I'm just genuinely curious. I mean, I know there's interest in the series (see the GMR threads from Civ 5). Is it just that people prefer Civ 5? I mean, there's no discussion threads on that currently either, and it seems that we've stopped doing new GMR threads, too. Do people just not care about Civ anymore?

Destro_Yersul
2017-06-11, 06:35 AM
There's been a few civ threads, but they've pretty much all died off. Problem is, I suppose, that there's not all that much to talk about.

Svata
2017-06-11, 06:47 AM
Guess its just that this subforum only keeps 2 pages of backlog. I recently picked it up, you see, and was wondering people's opinions on things. Oh, and also strategies people use, cause I am apparently bad at the game.

Destro_Yersul
2017-06-11, 07:09 AM
I can't speak much for 6, I'm afraid, having only actually played 5. From what I understand, having early military to fight off barbarians is a lot more important than it used to be, and worrying about planning city sprawl is also a lot more important.

Svata
2017-06-11, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I've noticed the abundance of barbarians. You don't naturally get a bonus against them anymore, you have to assign a policy for it (which you won't have for the first few turns)

KillianHawkeye
2017-06-12, 11:13 PM
Guess its just that this subforum only keeps 2 pages of backlog.

The old threads are still around. You know that you can use the box at the bottom of the page to extend the cut-off past the default limit, right?

As for strategies, it might help if you can narrow down where your weaknesses are. For basics: make sure to have military units, settle on fresh water (or the coast if you're Australia), build districts, use internal trade routes to spur growth (and create roads), complete quests for city-states to get their bonuses, devise a plan for researching techs and civics, and get eurekas/inspirations to help with that.

Closet_Skeleton
2017-06-13, 05:09 AM
I don't own Civ 6 because its expensive and there's still content in Civ5 I haven't tried yet.

Svata
2017-06-13, 05:26 AM
The old threads are still around. You know that you can use the box at the bottom of the page to extend the cut-off past the default limit, right?

Oh. Oops. lol

As for strategies, it might help if you can narrow down where your weaknesses are. For basics: make sure to have military units, settle on fresh water (or the coast if you're Australia), build districts, use internal trade routes to spur growth (and create roads), complete quests for city-states to get their bonuses, devise a plan for researching techs and civics, and get eurekas/inspirations to help with that.

Makes sense.

Sian
2017-06-13, 06:01 AM
Settle on fresh water (or the coast if you're Australia)

I'd would make an argument that Rome, with engineering and geographically able to build a bath would be a valid consideration as well

Maryring
2017-06-13, 12:00 PM
Why not both? Settle on coasts with fresh water. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, the best way to learn is to play, but the short of it is to get the inspirations and eurekas that you can and to expand as much as possible early on. Early game you're gonna be very limited by housing. And since the price of districts increase with every tech you research, the earlier the expansion the better. Late game expansion is rarely worth it.

VoxRationis
2017-06-13, 12:49 PM
I don't get why districts become so much more expensive. What sense does that make?

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-06-13, 01:08 PM
Just remember: if a thread is not in the default range, it is probably beyond thread necromancy dates, so while you can find older threads that way, be wary of posting in them

I don't get why districts become so much more expensive. What sense does that make?

Because at game start, the "campus district" is a clearing with a fallen tree where the local philosopher likes to sit in the sun, and the holy site district is the local gnarled oak or funny looking stone; while as technology improves, priests, teachers and students alike come to expect the latest and greatest ("The gods require marble walls & everlasting flames"; "What kind of classroom doesn't have a whiteboard with a printer and an overhead projector?!").

Grey Wolf

Maryring
2017-06-13, 01:32 PM
More weird than that. You can't declare a war of defense when someone declares war on a city state you're the suzerain of. If someone declares war on a city state you're the suzerain of, it should, technically, be considered a declaration of war upon the owner himself, but apparently the game expects you to just let the AI sack cities under your protection.

Sholos
2017-06-13, 10:33 PM
More weird than that. You can't declare a war of defense when someone declares war on a city state you're the suzerain of. If someone declares war on a city state you're the suzerain of, it should, technically, be considered a declaration of war upon the owner himself, but apparently the game expects you to just let the AI sack cities under your protection.

I don't remember which tech or civic gives it, but Protectorate wars are a thing that come with either minimal or zero warmongering penalty. You just have to get the ability to declare them, first.

Destro_Yersul
2017-06-14, 12:18 AM
couldn't you theoretically surround the city with troops, making it impossible for the enemy to go near it without declaring war on you?

Svata
2017-06-14, 12:20 AM
That takes SO MANY TROOPS. It would bankrupt the heck out of you, unless you focused the crap out of finances.

factotum
2017-06-14, 02:42 AM
I think it's getting to the point where you might as well rename this thread "Civ6 thread", Svata, since that's what it's become. :smallsmile:

Svata
2017-06-14, 03:01 AM
I think it's getting to the point where you might as well rename this thread "Civ6 thread", Svata, since that's what it's become. :smallsmile:

Looks like it :smallbiggrin:

Spore
2017-06-14, 06:10 AM
Or maybe a generalized Civ thread since individual threads seem to die off more quickly? I think the general interest lies in the series of games. And maybe Civ 6 players can make Civ 5 players like myself curious about the new game - who after 80 hours still hasn't ended or won a single game.

Maryring
2017-06-14, 06:18 AM
I don't remember which tech or civic gives it, but Protectorate wars are a thing that come with either minimal or zero warmongering penalty. You just have to get the ability to declare them, first.

It's pretty late in. At the point of the game where city state wars don't really happen anymore. At least involving the AI. But then, Warmonger penalty is only a thing with the AI anyway.

Illven
2017-06-14, 03:58 PM
I'd argue that in a multiplayer game war mongering concern exists.

Svata
2017-06-14, 04:13 PM
True. But you can at least reason with human players.

KillianHawkeye
2017-06-18, 05:54 PM
Why not both? Settle on coasts with fresh water. :smallbiggrin:

They don't exist. Fresh water only comes from rivers, lakes, and oases. Coastal locations don't give as much of a boost to your population cap (unless you're Australia).

Unless you meant to settle on a coast that also has a river or something else nearby, which is a perfectly fine thing to do. Especially if you want to build boats before you get a harbor up and running.

And yeah, Rome is gonna wanna build their unique Aqueducts pretty much everywhere they can, so that works too.

VoxRationis
2017-06-18, 07:09 PM
I'd argue that in a multiplayer game war mongering concern exists.

Yeah, but idiocies regarding the game's warmonger penalties don't in multiplayer. Human players understand that things like "spied on my cities to specifically beat me to the wonders I wanted," "used the World Congress to ban all of my luxuries," and "attacked all of my satellite states" are legitimate grievances. The warmonger penalty system does not (although VI's CB system is much more forgiving than V).

KillianHawkeye
2017-06-18, 07:23 PM
Speaking of the AI being weird, does anyone know if sending a diplomatic envoy or whatever it's called is worth the gold cost? It seems like a good move if you can afford it, because it's like a permanent +3 to their opinion of you. It's kinda weird, though, because you need to do it pretty soon after you meet someone or else the AI tends to refuse your delegation for no damn reason. They were supposed to fix that, but I don't think they really did....

I'm starting to think that maybe I should stop bothering with it, though. I feel like the AI is just going to hate you eventually anyway if you aren't a total pacifist (and even then, a few of them will hate you for that, too). Maybe I should just save my gold?

Narkis
2017-06-20, 09:58 AM
Speaking of the AI being weird, does anyone know if sending a diplomatic envoy or whatever it's called is worth the gold cost? It seems like a good move if you can afford it, because it's like a permanent +3 to their opinion of you. It's kinda weird, though, because you need to do it pretty soon after you meet someone or else the AI tends to refuse your delegation for no damn reason. They were supposed to fix that, but I don't think they really did....

I'm starting to think that maybe I should stop bothering with it, though. I feel like the AI is just going to hate you eventually anyway if you aren't a total pacifist (and even then, a few of them will hate you for that, too). Maybe I should just save my gold?

Opinion modifiers are per turn. That +3 really adds up, though yes, diplomacy is busted and the AI will hate you no matter what.

Svata
2017-07-02, 02:33 PM
So, playing some Civ 5 again. How on earth did I spawn near all this silver??

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDwPGtZXcAQmoUQ.jpg