PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled I -still- can't read Engineer Girl's expressions! [1075]

INoKnowNames
2017-06-11, 05:55 AM
First of all, ohmygodIforgothernamewithoutcheckingandnowI'mmadat myselfbecauseIdon'twanttolookitupbutdon'tknowitoff ofthetopofmyhead. *gasp for air*

And second, I can all but guarantee I've made this thread before. Earlier in this arc, Brunette McMutinyface looked to be to be somewhat sorrowful-looking-ish of her take over of the ship, though this contrasted way too heavily with the rest of how she acted and her demeanor before and after the panel in question, so I'd asked, and was convinced by others that it was just in how she was drawn.

I find myself in the exact same situation again. Page 1075, panel 5. Is she butthurt about Bandana actually getting her stuff together and Captaining the ship, or is she more broody about the situation? Like, directly comparing her eyebrow to Bandanas, in previous panels on the same page, it just looks off to me. Yet her "OMG EYES WIDEN" lines look on point for her face. Simple question, probably gonna get a simple answer too. Help a brotha out!

Also, kudos to Bandana for getting her balls in gear. One of my friends was surprised when I blamed Bandana for 50% of this arc going the way it is, because a proper Captain has their crew ship shape, and Bandana should have commanded, if not demanded, everyone's uncontested loyalty, including Engineerbeard's. Crummy situation all around, being forced into the end of the world schtick, but you gotta deal with that ****, and it's about time she did.

hamishspence
2017-06-11, 06:10 AM
Earlier in this arc, Brunette McMutinyface looked to be to be somewhat sorrowful-looking-ish of her take over of the ship, though this contrasted way too heavily with the rest of how she acted and her demeanor before and after the panel in question, so I'd asked, and was convinced by others that it was just in how she was drawn.

I find myself in the exact same situation again. Page 1075, panel 5. Is she butthurt about Bandana actually getting her stuff together and Captaining the ship, or is she more broody about the situation? Like, directly comparing her eyebrow to Bandanas, in previous panels on the same page, it just looks off to me. Yet her "OMG EYES WIDEN" lines look on point for her face. Simple question, probably gonna get a simple answer too. Help a brotha out!

The upswept "I'm sad and sorry - remorseful" eyebrow, that we see showcased on Elan here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0127.html

and Young Haley here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html

only appears on Andi once - here, in strip 1075. Before that, the "OMG Eyes Widen" expression is the only one we see after she knocks Bandanna out.

That's "I'm shocked" not "I'm sorrowful" - she has gone outside her own comfort zone when doing that - but she wasn't remorseful about it.

INoKnowNames
2017-06-11, 06:24 AM
The upswept "I'm sad and sorry - remorseful" eyebrow, that we see showcased on Elan here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0127.html

only appears on Andi once - here, in strip 1075. Before that, the "OMG Eyes Widen" expression is the only one we see after she knocks Bandanna out.

That's "I'm shocked" not "I'm sorrowful" - she has gone outside her own comfort zone when doing that - but she wasn't remorseful about it.

I know she wasn't remorseful about it. I wasn't trying to say that she was. I was saying that I was confused because, just like in the other situation that I encountered it (1063, now that I come to look), her hair-flap and her looking down doesn't make it as plain on her as it would be on other characters, since... quite frankly most characters in comic don't seem to have hair right in front of their faces like that, now that I come to think of it.

Likewise, on 1075, I can't tell if she's just bitterly swallowing her anger or being defeatist (for again, lack of a better term) about it.

hamishspence
2017-06-11, 06:32 AM
Strip 1063's Andi expression, I see as being the same as Roy's in the same strip - brow is horizontal with a very slight curve - annoyed, not upset. It's shorter because of the hair, but it's still the same basic expression.

The much sharper curve in 1075 (and other strip images) seems more sad than angry.

I think it's a good non-verbal way of expressing that it has finally dawned on Andi that she was wrong, and that Bandanna by giving her the wrench back, and telling her to get back to work, is being extremely magnanimous.

Look at 1063 Andi and 1075 Andi side-by side, and you'll see what I mean.

INoKnowNames
2017-06-11, 06:53 AM
I swear the look on 1063 looks closer to the one on 1075 than it does to Roys on the same page (1063)...

Then again I probably shouldn't start threads on negative hours of sleep. :smallsigh:

One thing I can take out of this even through my sleep deprivation is that the fact that so much of the expression of a character can be changed or conveyed just by the simple line across their forehead and still used to give of so much of their emotions, even in a stick-figure medium like this, is amazing.

martianmister
2017-06-11, 08:50 AM
She's sad.
Also, I read this thread in Mabel's voice.