PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Exhaustion + Poison?

J-H
2017-06-11, 08:08 AM
An enemy caster used Waves of Exhaustion on the PCs this round, followed immediately by another enemy using an item that granted him a DEX poison on his claws for a round. Both hit a target who started with only 10 DEX.

Waves of Exhaustion is a no-save that inflicts the Exhausted condition, a -6 penalty to strength and dexterity. The poison then hit for -5 DEX. Does this knock the PC to 0 DEX (out of play), or only to 1?
I think there's a rule about not being able to reduce someone to 0 from exhaustion, but I can't find it.

Necroticplague
2017-06-11, 08:50 AM
Waves of Exhaustion is a no-save that inflicts the Exhausted condition, a -6 penalty to strength and dexterity. The poison then hit for -5 DEX. Does this knock the PC to 0 DEX (out of play), or only to 1?
I think there's a rule about not being able to reduce someone to 0 from exhaustion, but I can't find it.

To the best of my knowledge, the bolded is false. No matter how you slice it, this guy can't move.

SirNibbles
2017-06-11, 08:58 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the bolded is false. No matter how you slice it, this guy can't move.

I second this.

"Some spells or abilities impose an effective ability score reduction, which is different from ability score loss. Any such reduction disappears at the end of the spell’s or ability’s duration, and the ability score immediately returns to its former value."

No mention of penalties not reducing to 0.

"An exhausted character moves at half speed and takes a –6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. After 1 hour of complete rest, an exhausted character becomes fatigued. A fatigued character becomes exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause fatigue."

Again, no qualifiers. He has 0 Dex and is Helpless.

noob
2017-06-11, 11:58 AM
I could argue that it is written "An exhausted character moves at half speed" so that could mean that the target can move even through his stats were dropped to 0 because it is written that he moves in fact the character no matter his state can not not move at half his speed(so that means that each turn he is obligated to move and not even necessarily at his own initiative) furthermore it is never said that the moves at half speed effect from exhaustion is an action so you could then exhaust a corpse and then it would be obligated to move and would be able to move from exhaustion but not normally.