PDA

View Full Version : Absolute noob (as in, the Starter Set is confusing me) question

Juggling Goth
2017-06-11, 01:33 PM
Hi all,

I'm playing one game with a first-time DM, and playing another game AS the first-time DM, both with the 5e Starter Set, and nobody in either group has ever played before, and I've got a really basic question on adding bonuses to rolls.

On the character sheets there's an attack bonus added to various weapons. Is this in addition to, or made up of, the ability and proficiency bonuses? Like if the human fighter attacks with their greatsword, do you add +2 strength and +2 proficiency and +4 attack bonus (+8 total)? Or is the attack bonus just the Starter Set trying to be a bit too helpful and adding the strength and proficiency for me, and the total is still only +4?

Thanks in advance!

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-11, 01:35 PM
Hi all,

I'm playing one game with a first-time DM, and playing another game AS the first-time DM, both with the 5e Starter Set, and nobody in either group has ever played before, and I've got a really basic question on adding bonuses to rolls.

On the character sheets there's an attack bonus added to various weapons. Is this in addition to, or made up of, the ability and proficiency bonuses? Like if the human fighter attacks with their greatsword, do you add +2 strength and +2 proficiency and +4 attack bonus (+8 total)? Or is the attack bonus just the Starter Set trying to be a bit too helpful and adding the strength and proficiency for me?

Thanks in advance!

The +4 is the total. Your attack bonus is generally calculated as- relevant ability score + proficiency bonus (if proficient) + specific ability bonuses or magic items (like the archery fighting style or a +1 weapon).

Hope you're having fun!

PhoenixPhyre
2017-06-11, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

On the character sheets there's an attack bonus added to various weapons. Is this in addition to, or made up of, the ability and proficiency bonuses? Like if the human fighter attacks with their greatsword, do you add +2 strength and +2 proficiency and +4 attack bonus (+8 total)? Or is the attack bonus just the Starter Set trying to be a bit too helpful and adding the strength and proficiency for me, and the total is still only +4?

Thanks in advance!

The attack bonus is the sum of (ABILITY MODIFIER) and PROFICIENCY. In this case, 2 + 2 = 4. It's just summed up there to make it easy since you'll use that number a lot. Most of the numbers on the sheet are pre-computed. The only other case is if you get a magic weapon that adds an additional bonus (+1, +2, or +3). Those are pretty rare though.

Juggling Goth
2017-06-11, 01:39 PM
Awesome, thank you! It suddenly occurred to me mid-game this might be the case.

We are having fun. In a 'we don't know what we're doing and I'm compartmentalising like a boss' sense.