PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hammerdin of Moradin: a guide to epic hammer throwing

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-12, 07:27 AM
While working on my last build (ShurikeNado (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526875-ShurikeNado-a-shuriken-master-build)still hoping for feedback^^) I did take notice how some parts of that build would fit into a "Hammer of Moradin" build. Let me introduce you to the

Hammerdin of Moradin

1) Monk - *Dodge, Weapon Focus (warhammer), **Martial Study (Steel Wind), **Martial Stance (Punishing Stance)
2) Barbarian (ACF Pounce)
3) Cleric - Point Blank Shot
4) Cleric
5) Cleric
6) Bloodstorm Blade - Iron Will
7) Bloodstorm Blade
8) Bloodstorm Blade
9) Bloodstorm Blade - Great Fortitude
10) Hammer of Maroadin
11) Hammer of Maroadin
12) Drunken Master - Power Attack
13) Drunken Master
14) Hammer of Maroadin
15) Hammer of Maroadin - Imp. Bullrush
16) Hammer of Maroadin
17) Hammer of Maroadin
18) Hammer of Maroadin - Shock Trooper
19) Hammer of Maroadin
20) Hammer of Maroadin

*Monk Cobra Strike ACF Bonus Feat
**Flaw Feat

How the build works:

Hammer of Moradin has some really nice (and even a few unique) abilities to offer with his warhammer. Extra 0.5 Str bonus on warhammer dmg, extra dmg due to enemy armor, Quake (AoE Reflex or fall prone!) and even some ranged option.
He gets the ability to throw (+ returning) for his warhammer and even a special attack called "Power Throw" which hits all enemies in a line of 60ft. The downside of the ranged abilities is that the returning ability works at the start of your next turn. And since most of the times you won't be carrying more than 1 or 2 warhammers with you, your ranged attacks / round are limited.
To overcome this limitation we need Bloodstorm Blade 4 which gives use Lightning Ricochet. This is a returning ability which can be used as free action and thus enable ranged full attacks.
To get the needed mobility & dmg, we need Pounce (Barb 1 ACF) and Stagger (Drunken Master 2). This enables pounce every turn in almost any space & environment, since you can freely change directions with Stagger while Charging. And since we can charge every turn, a valorous warhammer doubles our dmg output.
At lvl 20 when you get your Power Throw, you can pounce with Heedless Charge and hit everything in a 60ft. line with every attack each turn (don't forget x2 Str bonus for 2h, and extra dmg for enemies wearing armor).

BAB: +19 (@lvl20)
DMG Formula:
(assuming +5 weapon with Collusion for another +5 dmg and valorous for x2 charge multiplier // further assuming Str 34 - Base 18 +5 from lvl, +5 tome, +6 item):

= (1d8 + 2xStr + 2xPA +5 +5) x2
= 2d8 + 4xStr + 4xPA + 20
= 2d8 + 4x12 + 4x19 + 20
= 2d8 + 48 + 76 + 20
= 2d8 + 144 dmg
If enemy is wearing armor, add double the regular AC bonus (without magic) to dmg.

Sure the build kicks in very late, but it's still a playable interesting build. Dmg is high enough imho, but can't compete with high single target dmg of high optimized builds (compared to my other builds). But on the other hand, your dmg is a 60ft AoE line. At least it is the most interesting build I could came up for a Hammer of Moradin in all the years.
The PrC has a lot of fluff, but so far I had a hard time to build something really useful out of it. But now, it seems I have found a build which is worth the flair & fluff of this nice PrC. I mean, every good dwarf should be able to "Drink like a Demon" (Drunken Master 1) :smallbiggrin:

Thx for reading up till here.
I hope you like the build and I would be happy for some feedback as always =)

Ring of Evasion: edit
The build relies on a Ring of Evasion to enter Drunken Master (while I hat it on my original notes, I somehow missed it in the original post here.. sry for that.). Sure, relying on a magic item for your PRC abilities (DM is in one of the 2 books with the odd rule) ain't a good idea, but since it's only for DMs Stagger ability it should be compensate able. You can buy the ring at lvl 11 (when you WBL is enough to buy it as expensive magic item per the rules) just before entering Drunken Master.

Alternative Build Suggestion - Subrace: Exalted Dwarfs edit
Exalted Dwarfs (Dragon 320) have the human bonus feat. This feat can be used for Leap Attack or another Maneuver (e.g. Iron Heart Surge) or a Stance (e.g. Child of Shadow to get concealment/misschance).

edit:
- added BAB & DMG calculation
- added required Magic Item

edit2:
- added "Exalted Dwarf" as alternative Build/Race Suggestion for further optimization.

noce
2017-06-12, 07:42 AM
I'd like to point out that, if someone is interested in the build but his game will not reach 20, taking the 4th cleric level is a solid choice. The dwarf variant cleric gives +2 damage with warhammers at cleric 4.

Buufreak
2017-06-12, 08:58 AM
Am I to assume this is a Dwarf build? If so, how are you managing headlong charge?

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-12, 12:55 PM
Am I to assume this is a Dwarf build? If so, how are you managing headlong charge?

First I guess you ment Headlong Rush which is a charge feat for (Half-)Orks.

The build makes use of the "Heedless Charge" (did I write it somewhere wrong? can't find any mistake), a maneuver of the tactical feat "Shock Trooper". It shifts the Power Attack penalty from Attack penalty to AC penalty.

edit:
ty at Palanan to point out my typo. corrected to prevent further misreading.

Palanan
2017-06-12, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg
The build makes use of the "Headless Charge" (did I write it somewhere wrong? can't find any mistake), a maneuver of the tactical feat "Shock Trooper".

I believe you mean Heedless Charge. Your version might incur a few more penalties.

:smalltongue:

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-13, 12:08 AM
I believe you mean Heedless Charge. Your version might incur a few more penalties.

:smalltongue:

oh yeah, thx for pointing out my fail^^
sry, english is my 3rd language. I thought of "Headless" as an alternative to "Reckless". must have been reading it wrong so far^^.