PDA

View Full Version : GP Limit - A bit confused

Eldred
2007-08-04, 03:48 AM
This is my first time generating a town from random. I've understood everything so far except for the GP Limit. Now, I understand about selling items (1/2 gp limit x 1/10 population). I also understand that the same applies for buying items. But this is where I get confused.

Let's say, for example, that there's a blacksmith in a hamlet. The GP Limit is 100gp. Now, does this GP Limit apply seperately to each item that the blacksmith sells, or does it apply to all items sold? That's where I'm getting confused.

Also, let's say a tavern is built in the same hamlet. Now, does the 100gp Limit have to be split between the two buildings, or do each buildings get the 100gp Limit?

Thanks.

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-04, 04:20 AM
The GP limit, as stated on p137 of the DMG, is the price of the most costly item you can expect to find. Anything costing less than 100 gp off the equipment listings is likely to be available for sale.

Citizen Joe
2007-08-04, 11:43 AM
Note that that is a general guideline in so much as if a character randomly selects a town and decides to buy some random item, whether or not it is available is dictated by the GP limit.

IF, however, you spread a rumor that some particular town or person in said town happens to be trying to sell some specific item, and the characters actively hunt that person down in order to purchase said item, the GP limit doesn't really apply.