PDA

View Full Version : How to price crude wood/stone/metal gargantuan statues?

gogogome
2017-06-12, 10:28 AM
A player that frequents this forum is planning on binding a Ravid at level 8 (Nar Demonbinder).

This means the party does not have access to wall of stone and fabricate. This means they are going to have to craft the statue themselves, which means I need a gold price to handle crafting time and potentially material cost.

They haven't decided whether to use wood, stone, or metal, but has shown heavy interest in chopping down trees themselves to construct the gargantuan statue.

Animated objects aren't golems, so the statue is super crude, and made up of normal material.

Does anyone have an idea on how to tackle crafting time/cost?

The player described the statue as a spider-centaur-snail. 8 spider legs on bottom, humanoid body on top, and a cubic structure on the back of the humanoid and on top of the spider body.

Deeds
2017-06-12, 10:42 AM
So let me get this straight: the players want to bind a soul to an nanimate object and give it life? How is this not a golem again?

Lumber is gonna be dirt cheap. Your players can claim some land, chop down the trees, and hire a crew to treat the wood. As a DM, throw in some woodland critters to stop the party.

denthor
2017-06-12, 10:46 AM
I would start with golem prices and go from there make sure there is quite a bit of down time. Five to six months maybe longer the have to get and materials plot hook for adventure. They have to get back intact then the down time to fabricate. They could of course "hire" other parties to help with the gathering while they remain at home base or take the chance that thief or party take there resources gold .

This could be fun for you

gogogome
2017-06-12, 11:10 AM
So let me get this straight: the players want to bind a soul to an nanimate object and give it life? How is this not a golem again?

Lumber is gonna be dirt cheap. Your players can claim some land, chop down the trees, and hire a crew to treat the wood. As a DM, throw in some woodland critters to stop the party.

Ravid is a 3hd creature from the Positive Energy Plane (MMI). It has an at-will CL20 animate object aura. The player will bind the ravid using lesser planar binding and keep it in the head of the gargantuan statue. It's not a golem, it's an animated object.

Zephonim
2017-06-12, 12:11 PM
So... imo it shouldnt cost more than 15k gp.

A stone golem made with Exceptional stone is 5k gp. Also you really only need stone shape to make a goant statue or wood shape

Gildedragon
2017-06-12, 12:19 PM
So at the very least it is a complex object (DC20)
And let's say it's an art object, the average cost of which is 1100gp
This means it is around a couple dozen weeks of work per statue. About 300 days at the most

Coidzor
2017-06-12, 12:31 PM
If you have access to Stone Shape and can get access to raw stone in the environment or make it, then through the power of magic, making a Gargantuan sized Statue would cost no money, but would cost 1024/(10+CL) number of spell slots, so a minimum of 69 spell slots for a volume equal to a 32' by 8' by 4' rectangular prism, you might be able to cut the dimensions a bit more in terms of width and depth, though.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-12, 12:31 PM
So... imo it shouldnt cost more than 15k gp.

A stone golem made with Exceptional stone is 5k gp. Also you really only need stone shape to make a goant statue or wood shape

Stone golems require the finest stone. Animated Objects can be the cheapest material out there so 15kgp is overkill.

I second stone shape. Cleric/Druid3 or Sor/Wiz4. Bind an Artaaglith to cast it a few times a day.

So at the very least it is a complex object (DC20)
And let's say it's an art object, the average cost of which is 1100gp

Where did you get that price? Which book? I'm interested in craft skills myself.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-12, 12:37 PM
If you have access to Stone Shape and can get access to raw stone in the environment or make it, then through the power of magic, making a Gargantuan sized Statue would cost no money, but would cost 1024/(10+CL) number of spell slots, so a minimum of 93 spell slots for a volume equal to a 32' by 8' by 4' rectangular prism, you might be able to cut the dimensions a bit more in terms of width and depth, though.

I think you got your math wrong.

Gargantuan animated objects are 20ft x 20ft x 20ft, stone shape is (10+cl)ft x (10+cl)ft x (10+cl)ft, so if we use a CL 5 guy, we have 8000cft/3375cft = 3 castings.

Coidzor
2017-06-12, 12:42 PM
I think you got your math wrong.

Gargantuan animated objects are 20ft x 20ft x 20ft, stone shape is (10+cl)ft x (10+cl)ft x (10+cl)ft, so if we use a CL 5 guy, we have 8000cft/3375cft = 3 castings.

Yes, I was dividing by 11 cubic feet instead of 15 cubic feet for the minimum.

Stone Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneShape.htm) modifies 10 + 1 per CL in cubic feet of stone. So 15 cubic feet at CL 5. 18 cubic feet at CL 8.

8000 cubic feet of volume divided by 15 cubic feet = ~533.333333, so 534 castings, 533 if you can cut corners.

Stone Shape would be even better if it was up to a 10+CL ft. cube or sphere.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-12, 12:44 PM
Yes, I was dividing by 11 cubic feet instead of 15 cubic feet for the minimum.

Stone Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneShape.htm) modifies 10 + 1 per CL in cubic feet of stone. So 15 cubic feet at CL 5. 18 cubic feet at CL 8.

8000 cubic feet of volume divided by 15 cubic feet = ~533.333333, so 534 castings, 533 if you can cut corners.

Stone Shape would be even better if it was up to a 10+CL ft. cube or sphere.

Ah silly me, I thought 15cft was 15x15x15cft, how embarrassing >.<

Gildedragon
2017-06-12, 12:45 PM
Stone golems require the finest stone. Animated Objects can be the cheapest material out there so 15kgp is overkill.

I second stone shape. Cleric/Druid3 or Sor/Wiz4. Bind an Artaaglith to cast it a few times a day.

Where did you get that price? Which book? I'm interested in craft skills myself.

Treasure tables in the SRD
Average Cost for an art object

RoboEmperor
2017-06-12, 01:40 PM
You could cut the number of castings by a fifth. A hollow statue is still a statue, and 1ft thick stone is very thick.

Tank armor, although metal, is a like 4.7 inches thick.