PDA

View Full Version : How does Dweomer of Transference work?

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-12, 11:42 AM
From what I can tell, Dweomer of Transference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/dweomerOfTransference.htm) makes the target immune to all spells and powers (Magic-Psionic Transparency), however I'm a bit unsure about some other things. Does it protect you from Spell Like and Supernatural Abilities? What about alternate magic systems, such as Invocations and Vestiges?

Psyren
2017-06-12, 12:12 PM
Spells and powers only. And even there the wording is wonky, because several times it says "spells YOU cast" throwing its status as everything-proof-shield into question (at least by RAI.)

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-12, 12:29 PM
Spells and powers only.

Okay.

And even there the wording is wonky, because several times it says "spells YOU cast" throwing its status as everything-proof-shield into question (at least by RAI.)

The spell does specifically say " any spells cast at the subject don’t have their usual effect". The parts where it says "spells you cast" don't appear to be referring to caster of DoT, rather it seems to be referring to the player.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-12, 12:33 PM
Spells and powers only. And even there the wording is wonky, because several times it says "spells YOU cast" throwing its status as everything-proof-shield into question (at least by RAI.)

The wording on SLAs (works just like a spell of that name) implies to me that Dweomer of Transference should block them.

Psyren
2017-06-12, 02:54 PM
The spell does specifically say " any spells cast at the subject don’t have their usual effect". The parts where it says "spells you cast" don't appear to be referring to caster of DoT, rather it seems to be referring to the player.

I know, which is why I didn't say RAW. But I still think they intended for this to be a "refuel your buddy" spell rather than a "walk through Storm of Vengeance naked and come out the other side at full power" kind of spell.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-12, 03:06 PM
I know, which is why I didn't say RAW. But I still think they intended for this to be a "refuel your buddy" spell rather than a "walk through Storm of Vengeance naked and come out the other side at full power" kind of spell.

I would agree with that assessment. The gulf between RAW and RAI is so massive that they often barely resemble one another.

RAW Dweomer of Transference is ridiculously OP. Any caster with access to the spell can take Wild Talent and become nigh immune to magic.

Even RAI can get a Psion a nigh infinite pool of PP, so it's not much better in that regard.

danielxcutter
2017-06-12, 09:57 PM
If I1 used DwoT as RAW, then would I get metaphorical2 books thrown at my head?

1: Fighter/Psion(Nomad), but one of the other players is a Cleric.

2: Metaphorical, 'cause it's a PbP.

Psyren
2017-06-13, 06:35 AM
Depends on your campaign's power level, and the propensity of your GM to throw metaphorical books.

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 06:40 AM
Depends on your campaign's power level, and the propensity of your GM to throw metaphorical books.

Um, he allowed me to (eventually) take Mindsight, and use the Shedu Crown bind + Open Chakra, Psionic to qualify, as well as the Feat Battery combo and the Psicrystal + Share Pain + Vigor combo, for example.

Psyren
2017-06-13, 07:27 AM
Um, he allowed me to (eventually) take Mindsight, and use the Shedu Crown bind + Open Chakra, Psionic to qualify, as well as the Feat Battery combo and the Psicrystal + Share Pain + Vigor combo, for example.

Okay?

Not sure what you're looking for here. Have you asked him?

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 07:28 AM
Okay?

Not sure what you're looking for here. Have you asked him?

Currently awaiting the response.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-13, 08:22 AM
If I1 used DwoT as RAW, then would I get metaphorical2 books thrown at my head?

1: Fighter/Psion(Nomad), but one of the other players is a Cleric.

2: Metaphorical, 'cause it's a PbP.

I would like to point out that RAW DwoT shuts down epic spells. It's quite insane and probably will only be used in TO.

lbuttitta
2017-06-13, 08:55 AM
I would like to point out that RAW DwoT shuts down epic spells. It's quite insane and probably will only be used in TO.
True, although you don't get any power points from them.
Actually, though, before I found this thread I never realized dweomer of transference could be read like that. I guess I just subconsciously added in a "you" where it says "any spells cast".

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-13, 12:32 PM
True, although you don't get any power points from them.
Actually, though, before I found this thread I never realized dweomer of transference could be read like that. I guess I just subconsciously added in a "you" where it says "any spells cast".

Most people seem to do that.

If you combine Dweomer of Transference with Selective AMF and something like Ghost Form, I think you'd be nigh invincible.

Gildedragon
2017-06-13, 02:36 PM
Warweaver + this gives a nice RoI PP to spell slots

Is there a way to turn PP into Spell Slots? Cause then one has a way to recharge pretty neatly

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 07:58 PM

I thought epic spells were different from ordinary spells.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-13, 07:59 PM
I thought epic spells were different from ordinary spells.

They're still spells so they're still affected by DoT.

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 08:03 PM
They're still spells so they're still affected by DoT.

Yeah... not like it's actually going to happen in our game, though. Sad.

Hmm... would SLAs work for charging me up? That's probably too OP as well, as one player is a Pixie Swordsage(Pixies have tons of at-will SLAs like Dispel Magic and Detect Alignment) and another one is a Catfolk Warlock(invocations are infinite-use SLAs)... but it makes sense, and the duration isn't too long.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-13, 08:05 PM
Yeah... not like it's actually going to happen in our game, though. Sad.

Hmm... would SLAs work for charging me up? That's probably too OP as well, as one player is a Pixie Swordsage(Pixies have tons of at-will SLAs like Dispel Magic and Detect Alignment) and another one is a Catfolk Warlock(invocations are infinite-use SLAs)... but it makes sense, and the duration isn't too long.

As long as the SLA replicates a spell it should be affected by DoT.

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 08:09 PM
As long as the SLA replicates a spell it should be affected by DoT.

Invocations are also treated as a certain level of spell... at least Eldritch Blast and it's kin are.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-13, 08:15 PM
Invocations are also treated as a certain level of spell... at least Eldritch Blast and it's kin are.

That is an interesting point.

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 08:18 PM
That is an interesting point.

Exactly. Even a bog-standard Eldritch Blast is treated as a 1st-level spell. Higher when you add shapes and essences, in fact.

Which is why our DM probably won't allow that to slide, but whatever. It still works by RAW.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-13, 08:21 PM
Exactly. Even a bog-standard Eldritch Blast is treated as a 1st-level spell. Higher when you add shapes and essences, in fact.

Which is why our DM probably won't allow that to slide, but whatever. It still works by RAW.

Simulacrums/Ice Assassins with at will SLAs would also work, but that's pretty far into TO territory.

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 08:24 PM
Simulacrums/Ice Assassins with at will SLAs would also work, but that's pretty far into TO territory.

I was talking about SLAs in general, actually. Remember, two members of our party have at-will SLAs. And not even that low-level SLAs, even now.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-13, 08:28 PM
I was talking about SLAs in general, actually. Remember, two members of our party have at-will SLAs. And not even that low-level SLAs, even now.

It's the existence of such classes that lead me to conclude that WotC didn't know what they were doing when they created that spell.

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 08:31 PM
It's the existence of such classes that lead me to conclude that WotC didn't know what they were doing when they created that spell.

Actually, one's a Pixie Swordsage. Off the top of my head, Pixies have Dispel Magic, Detect Good/Evil/Law/Chaos, Detect Magic, and a few other at-will SLAs at CL 8. That's a special case, since they're LA +4, but yeah, Dweomer of Transference is broken, even if you don't subscribe to the "functional immunity to all magic" interpretion of the spell.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-13, 08:37 PM
Actually, one's a Pixie Swordsage. Off the top of my head, Pixies have Dispel Magic, Detect Good/Evil/Law/Chaos, Detect Magic, and a few other at-will SLAs at CL 8. That's a special case, since they're LA +4, but yeah, Dweomer of Transference is broken, even if you don't subscribe to the "functional immunity to all magic" interpretion of the spell.

I was mostly thinking of Warlocks, but yeah, even the "RAI" version is quite OP.

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 08:40 PM
I was mostly thinking of Warlocks, but yeah, even the "RAI" version is quite OP.

Even if you throw at-will SLAs straight out the window, it's a great way to dispose of unneeded spells. A Cerbremancer or Psionic Theurge can convert their spell slots to PP, which makes them even more flexible.