PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Arcane Hunter

Kelt
2017-06-12, 12:51 PM
Hey everybody. Quick question here; in Complete Mage, arcane hunter is listed as an alternative class feature. However, it requires 1 rank in knowledge (arcana), which as you all probably know isn't a normal ranger skill. My question is:

Is there any way to get knowledge arcana at first level so I don't have to multiclass for it and, preferably, not waste a feat? Thanks!

Karl Aegis
2017-06-12, 12:52 PM
Use cross-class ranks like everyone else.

Kelt
2017-06-12, 01:24 PM
I've only been playing for about a year so maybe I'm missing something, but don't you need it trained to use a knowledge skill?

Khedrac
2017-06-12, 01:35 PM
You need ranks to roll on a "trained only" skill and achieve a result above 10, but when assigning skill points you can take said ranks at a cost of 2 skill points per rank (with a cap half that as for class skills).

Darrin
2017-06-12, 02:13 PM
Having to pay 1 extra skill point in a class that already gets 6 skill points per level isn't exactly a heavy burden.

That being said... in Oriental Adventures, humans from the Phoenix Clan always have Knowledge (Arcana) as a class skill. If you have a feat slot to burn, there are several choices: Able Learner (RoD), Education (ECS) or Apprentice (DMGII) could work.

Kelt
2017-06-12, 02:44 PM
Awesome. It was my understanding that skills that could not be used untrained had to be class skills in order to put any ranks into them--so for example, open lock? Not a class skill for rangers and can't be used untrained so I figured it was pretty much 'off limits'. Thanks!