PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Druid Wild Shape PrCs?

Goaty14
2017-06-12, 01:25 PM
So I am thinking of the best way to make a druid focused on wild shape, specifically for grappling (if there are any grappling PrCs I don't know about) so right now I am thinking of the next campaign I am in to play a:

Drd 5/MoMF 10/Nature's Warrior 5

I chose this because Drd 5 is needed for MoMF (Master of Many Forms), which increases your wild shape armada by a ton, and then nature's warrior stacks with druid levels to determine wild shape class abilities, and (two levels of) spells per day. (So a Drd 5/Nature's Warrior 3 would be able to wild shape into a large animal)

I also chose Nature's warrior for the Nature's Armament class feature, which seems to be very useful.

Is there anything that I'm missing out on for this build?

Inevitability
2017-06-12, 02:03 PM
Take one of the host feats to get a manifester level, then once it's greater than 5 take Metamorphic Transfer. Assume Supernatural Ability is also a great feat, though somewhat more limited.

The_Jette
2017-06-12, 02:08 PM
Take one of the host feats to get a manifester level, then once it's greater than 5 take Metamorphic Transfer. Assume Supernatural Ability is also a great feat, though somewhat more limited.

What are the host feats?

Darrin
2017-06-12, 02:20 PM
Is there anything that I'm missing out on for this build?

There's a variant of Ranger in Unearthed Arcana that gets Wild Shape, so you could take 5 levels of that instead of Druid 5. If you're not focusing on spellcasting, might as well get the BAB +5.

stanprollyright
2017-06-12, 02:41 PM
Warshaper.

Inevitability
2017-06-12, 03:01 PM
What are the host feats?

Just Complete Psionic feats that grant a couple of PLAs.

ATHATH
2017-06-12, 03:04 PM
I recommend picking up the Aberration Wildshape feat so that you can get some really good grappling forms. Check out eggynack's Druid handbook for more details; he has a whole section devoted to that feat.

Rebel7284
2017-06-12, 03:09 PM
The best PrC for Druid wildshape is Planar Shepherd. With some plane choices, it's utterly broken.

Ultimately, having more casting will make you better at beating face. Things like Bite of the Werebear (Strength, Power Attack, etc), Megalodon Empowerment (Shift into larger creatures) and more subtle things like Enhance Wild Shape all make casting essential for someone who wants to be truly great at eating face.

Suggested Builds:
Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 10/Druid 5
Druid 20

Inevitability
2017-06-12, 03:15 PM
I recommend picking up the Aberration Wildshape feat so that you can get some really good grappling forms. Check out eggynack's Druid handbook for more details; he has a whole section devoted to that feat.

That's a bit redundant on a MoMF, though. They'll be able to enjoy it for five of the fifteen levels it'll be part of the build: unless retraining is in place wasting two feats on that seems unwise.

ATHATH
2017-06-12, 03:55 PM
That's a bit redundant on a MoMF, though. They'll be able to enjoy it for five of the fifteen levels it'll be part of the build: unless retraining is in place wasting two feats on that seems unwise.
Whoops, forgot about that.

MoMF gets the Extraordinary abilities of its forms too (thus making the Enhance Wildshape spell (mostly) redundant), right?

Inevitability
2017-06-13, 12:04 AM
Whoops, forgot about that.

MoMF gets the Extraordinary abilities of its forms too (thus making the Enhance Wildshape spell (mostly) redundant), right?

Indeed they do. Besides, this build won't be getting Enhance Wild Shape anyway.

Goaty14
2017-06-13, 10:58 AM

Especially given you have to make a DC 19 Wis check if you use it in combat, and the feat overall only applies to a single ability, so I'll consider it if I find a especially useful thing outside of combat.

Pyromancer999
2017-06-13, 09:17 PM
Indeed they do. Besides, this build won't be getting Enhance Wild Shape anyway.

Actually does, since Nature's Warrior advances spellcasting two levels, giving the build 4th level spells.

Also, Planar Shepherd of Lamannia 3 is useful to be able to Wildshape into nearly any magical beast, if your DM allows it into a non-Eberron Campaign.

Khedrac
2017-06-14, 02:54 AM
An oddball choice for a wildshape prestige class is Arcane Hierophant.

Yes, getting the arcane caster levels required slows down wildshape progression, but once you get there you have (potentially) all the wizard buffs as well as all the druid buffs.

Goaty14
2017-06-16, 08:56 PM
Actually does, since Nature's Warrior advances spellcasting two levels, giving the build 4th level spells.

Also, Planar Shepherd of Lamannia 3 is useful to be able to Wildshape into nearly any magical beast, if your DM allows it into a non-Eberron Campaign.

That looks good, but its a 10 level build, and the magical beast WS only applies to beasts that live on your chosen plane (which would at most only apply to any creature with said subtype), but its also not terribly explicit about that ;) Despite that, it gives full spellcasting, and full Animal companion things) which is great So what I'm considering is replacing Nature's Warrior 5 with 5 levels of this PrC, which will give me 5th level spells, and Animal Companion effective level 13 (provided I take the Nature's Bond feat)

Additionally, I should probably not do WS ranger, because if my DM deems this build too much, he/she/it will point out that rangers don't gain natural weapon proficiency, and druid 5 gains spellcasting and animal companion ups.

New revision: Druid 5/MoMF 10/Planar Shepherd 5 (Elemental Plane of Fire)