PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spelljammer 5e...please help

Dankus Memakus
2017-06-12, 02:50 PM
So although i was not around for spelljammer the setting has always seemed grand to me and id really like to adapt it to 5e, but ive hit some roadblocks. I have found all the races i need and i know all the lore but im pretty stuck with two things (one that is quite major) i cannot find any ship rules that work well with 5e, also i cant find weapon lists for spelljammer. The only weapon i can find is the starwheel pistol and id like there to be some firearms in my game. So if anyone has a pdf or a website with some rules id appreciate it if you can point me in that direction. Id also appreciate any ideas from those who have played spelljammer before. Thanks!

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-12, 02:57 PM
If you can wait another 19 days, we'll have exactly what you're looking for: we're publishing Dark Matter (basically our version of Spelljammer) on the 1st of July. It'll have rules for space weapons, ships, new spells, new items, new subclasses, new races... the works. You will have to sign up to Patreon to get it, but it costs literally $1 and you can cancel it as soon as you've downloaded the stuff if that's what you want to do (though obviously we hope it isn't).

We've even published a couple of subclasses for free as teasers: a druid circle (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/06/circle-of-obelisk.html) and sorcerous origin (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/04/radiation-freak.html)!

Dankus Memakus
2017-06-12, 03:12 PM
If you can wait another 19 days, we'll have exactly what you're looking for: we're publishing Dark Matter (basically our version of Spelljammer) on the 1st of July. It'll have rules for space weapons, ships, new spells, new items, new subclasses, new races... the works. You will have to sign up to Patreon to get it, but it costs literally $1 and you can cancel it as soon as you've downloaded the stuff if that's what you want to do (though obviously we hope it isn't).

We've even published a couple of subclasses for free as teasers: a druid circle (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/06/circle-of-obelisk.html) and sorcerous origin (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/04/radiation-freak.html)!

I am intrigued by darkmatter however, im dming tommorow and i need to at least be able to fake a campaign.

Zaydos
2017-06-12, 03:39 PM
Conversions!

Ships move 100 ft/SR/round (was 500 yards but walking speed was similarly increased and rounds were 10 times longer, 150 ft would be straight conversion with time... or 75 sometimes ship turns were 2 normal turns). Turning costs movement based upon maneuverability (don't got my Spelljammer books on me at the moment so it's hard to say how much). 1 Hull Point = 15 Hit Points (damage and hit points have gone up since 2e, I'm not sure if 1.5 is the right amount to increase it, might want to do 20 Hit Points, also decide if arrows can even deal damage in hull points). Assign saving throws based upon material (possibly add Helmsman's proficiency to certain ones). Convert the ranges of the ship's weapons, and make 1 hex 100 ft instead of 500 yards. If a character is proficient in the Tool Vehicles (Space) or Vehicles (Sea) they add proficiency to attacks with the ship's weapons when they're at the head of the weapon team, a Light Balista fires 1/round for 1 hull point of damage (2d8 hit points if used on a human target) needs a crew of I forget. Light Catapult fires 1/2 rounds for 1d3 hull points of damage (3d10 if used on a human target), up from there. Ships are relatively easy, unlike with 3.5 most of the 2e rules actually work. Probably increase AC a bit (add captain or helmsman's proficiency to it is an option). I forget how ramming worked.

For guns... core spelljammer had 2 personal guns. Starwheel Pistols, and Arquebus. Arquebus was bad. If you want it, though, 1d12 damage, requires an action to reload, becomes damaged until repaired on a 1. That pretty much is a direct conversion but mostly works. I forget the range.

Dankus Memakus
2017-06-12, 07:52 PM
Conversions!

Ships move 100 ft/SR/round (was 500 yards but walking speed was similarly increased and rounds were 10 times longer, 150 ft would be straight conversion with time... or 75 sometimes ship turns were 2 normal turns). Turning costs movement based upon maneuverability (don't got my Spelljammer books on me at the moment so it's hard to say how much). 1 Hull Point = 15 Hit Points (damage and hit points have gone up since 2e, I'm not sure if 1.5 is the right amount to increase it, might want to do 20 Hit Points, also decide if arrows can even deal damage in hull points). Assign saving throws based upon material (possibly add Helmsman's proficiency to certain ones). Convert the ranges of the ship's weapons, and make 1 hex 100 ft instead of 500 yards. If a character is proficient in the Tool Vehicles (Space) or Vehicles (Sea) they add proficiency to attacks with the ship's weapons when they're at the head of the weapon team, a Light Balista fires 1/round for 1 hull point of damage (2d8 hit points if used on a human target) needs a crew of I forget. Light Catapult fires 1/2 rounds for 1d3 hull points of damage (3d10 if used on a human target), up from there. Ships are relatively easy, unlike with 3.5 most of the 2e rules actually work. Probably increase AC a bit (add captain or helmsman's proficiency to it is an option). I forget how ramming worked.

For guns... core spelljammer had 2 personal guns. Starwheel Pistols, and Arquebus. Arquebus was bad. If you want it, though, 1d12 damage, requires an action to reload, becomes damaged until repaired on a 1. That pretty much is a direct conversion but mostly works. I forget the range.

Thank you for the conversions, also ill just use the musket and the starwheel then

ravencroft0
2017-06-14, 11:29 PM
How balanced is High Evolutionaryfrom Circle of the Obelisk?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-15, 01:23 AM
How balanced is High Evolutionaryfrom Circle of the Obelisk?

I believe it's ok, given that it's on a druid. They're one of the least MAD classes, and there are relatively few feats that are important to them, which means the marginal benefit is less than it would be on a paladin or warlock. A druid may well have already got 20 Wisdom by the time this comes online.

So I agree with the commenter who said it just makes you a little better at everything.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-06-15, 02:28 AM
So although i was not around for spelljammer the setting has always seemed grand to me and id really like to adapt it to 5e, but ive hit some roadblocks. I have found all the races i need and i know all the lore but im pretty stuck with two things (one that is quite major) i cannot find any ship rules that work well with 5e, also i cant find weapon lists for spelljammer. The only weapon i can find is the starwheel pistol and id like there to be some firearms in my game. So if anyone has a pdf or a website with some rules id appreciate it if you can point me in that direction. Id also appreciate any ideas from those who have played spelljammer before. Thanks!

For the most part, really, ships can be handwaved; they're backdrops to what's happening. At most, you can probably get what you need by exploiting the Chase and environment rules in the DMG, in particular using seige weapons from that book.

For firearms, the official rules are on page 268 of the DMG; Spelljammer was an Age of Sail-based setting, so Pistols, Muskets, Bombs and Gunpowder Kegs & Horns will cover all of the available weapons - you can probably use the other stats to eyeball any necessary gear, but I think "muskets" probably cover things like blunderbusses and arquebuses.