PDA

View Full Version : Give me dungeon suggestions (for a mega dungeon campaign)

Specter
2017-06-12, 03:23 PM
So I’m restarting a campaign with my old hero players (all five at level eleven). Basically, they need to obtain the Roses of Valor, rewards offered by the gods to those who conquer the most corrupt and dangerous places of the Material Plane. What I need are six dungeons where they’ll eventually venture. I already have four ideas that I’ve established and am currently developing:

- Serenaru
An old Wood Elf sanctuary that was tempted, and is now inhabited by all kinds of monstrosities. Their commander is the Laughing Worm (a reflavored, more humanoid Purple Worm, with magical powers).

- House of Swansong
The house of a Devotion Paladin, whose family was brutally murdered by his enemies. He in turn imprisoned the killers, and tortured them for years, losing his morals in the process. The place became so tainted that all forms of fiends and undead are trapped in it. Their commander is a Marilith.

- Lair of Firdor
A fiery mountain where a red dragon and his family live. The city nearby is now under their command, and they are forcing the villagers to hunt treasure and food for them. The commander is an ancient Red Dragon.

- The Arcane Vault
An underground lair in the wild, where a lich locked himself in order to study forever and be free from all forms of companionship. The place will be a minefield of traps and constructs, with the lich awaiting at the end.

I need two more dungeon ideas, so anything that you think is creative or recall as memorable from one of your sessions is welcome. Bring it on, my friends!

VoxRationis
2017-06-12, 03:25 PM
So is there supposed to be a recurring sin/temptation/fall theme running through all these dungeons, or is that just coincidence?

Specter
2017-06-12, 03:28 PM
So is there supposed to be a recurring sin/temptation/fall theme running through all these dungeons, or is that just coincidence?

Any place with big bad evil beings that need to be erradicated from the face of the earth will do. I've thought of some more neutral places, but it wouldn't fit the general idea.

It doesn't need to be a 'formerly good place', though. The last one is an example of that.

LaserFace
2017-06-12, 03:37 PM
One of my larger dungeons from my latest campaign (which seemed to go over well) was a lost and ruined city, hidden in the wilderness, and supposedly struck with a terrible curse.

The city was remote and through wild and perilous terrain, inhabited by will-o-wisps, hags, faeries, trolls. The city itself occupies a space that is at a sort of nexus of magic, with all sorts of elemental forces winking in and out at random. The place has all sorts of old magical goodies laying around, and when the party arrives it's actually occupied by a Goblin King who seeks to just claim it all for himself; but he also has to deal with other monstrous creatures who lair there, including Ogres.

Any of these factions are open to diplomacy with seasoned adventurers, but have no problem fighting if it comes to that.

At the heart of the city is a magical vault, still sealed and whole, preserving ancient secrets inside. Constructs, undead, extraplanar entities guard the important chambers, with a few nasty traps to prevent unauthorized entry.

We all seemed to enjoy it, but I think part of it was that I had been foreshadowing the adventure and what would be found there for quite a while ahead of time. Maybe it can work out for you too.

Hope that helps!

Armored Walrus
2017-06-12, 03:43 PM
How about a monastery full of shadowmonks who have been corrupted since their guru became a vampire? The boss could be a vampire with some monk abilities tacked on, and they have to search the monastery while being ambushed repeatedly by the ninjas inside.

bluthunda
2017-06-12, 05:04 PM
How about a dwarvish mine said to house an underground oasis in its deepest section sealed off by the dwarves centuries ago to stop and infection from spreading, once the party gets a certain amount in they notice the mines/tunnels aren't as abandoned as they would think as torches are lighting up some of the tunnels. Eventually they find a civilization of wereRat and rat swarms. Clever rogueish wereRats have traps set up all over the place. For a little difference in encounters throw some giant spiders and other burrowing/underground creatures in there.

Inchoroi
2017-06-12, 05:23 PM
If you've got a few bucks to spare, take a look at FGG's Tomb of Abysthor. It'd be pretty easy to rip out the setting-specific stuff. It's a 9-level megadungeon that's got a lot to it.

Plus, it's fun!

RobD
2017-06-12, 08:30 PM
in my brother's games, there's the Tomb of Akum-Ra, a hidden, cursed necropolis hidden beneath the desert sands and presided over by an evil lich. All mention of it is forbidden; just talking about it is liable to get your tongue cut out, and the place is haunted out the wazoo. Aside from being a sprawling, subterranean complex stuffed with all manner of nasties (a few highlights: gold coins and jewels that become flesh eating scarabs; mummies; giant scorpions; a room full of gold dust that, if disturbed and breathed in, gilds the inside of your lungs) the place is also replete with hauntings and evil spirits. Voices whispering in the dark that only you can hear; terrible visions; illusions that can make your friends seem like enemies; a river of death full of the lost souls that the lich has claimed, all of them prying at the corners of your minds to claim yet more souls and swell its terrible banks.
Lots of will saves and sanity checks; confusion, fear, possession, insanity, and certainly death are all possible (likely, even) in the Tomb. He's never had a group get through the whole thing. Of the three groups that have tried, only mine made it out, and that's because we skipped out as soon as we could. The other groups ended up A)committing suicide or B)murdering each other (with a few members choosing C: all of the above), both under ghostly influence. None of us has yet seen Akum-Ra.

Specter
2017-06-13, 07:55 AM
All good ideas so far, keep it coming gents!

If you've got a few bucks to spare, take a look at FGG's Tomb of Abysthor. It'd be pretty easy to rip out the setting-specific stuff. It's a 9-level megadungeon that's got a lot to it.

Plus, it's fun!

Actually, I don't have a few bucks to spare. :smallbiggrin:
But what's its concept?