PDA

View Full Version : Weak Monster + Strong Template = Appropriate Encounter?

unseenmage
2017-06-12, 03:30 PM
What are some examples of CR-too-low monsters combined with CR-too-high templates (and the reverse) that result in an appropriately CRed encounter?

I realize this would change from table to table so examples folks have used are more than welcome.

noob
2017-06-12, 04:52 PM
Simple wizard template(or eye king template) on a creature with tons of hd which was not threatening.(you then get a creature with sightly below level appropriate offence and correct defence)
Alternatively get a partial casting creature drunk and young and degenerate and it now have casting comparable to its cr.
my favorite eye ray for the eye king is tenser transformation(touch attack against the wizard to turn it into an useless fighter)

Zombulian
2017-06-12, 06:52 PM
What are some examples of CR-too-low monsters combined with CR-too-high templates (and the reverse) that result in an appropriately CRed encounter?

I realize this would change from table to table so examples folks have used are more than welcome.

You may have seen this because it was brought up in the CR thread and I believe this thread may be derivative of that, but someone had brought up putting the Psuedonatural Template on a Gelatinous Cube as a high level encounter.
Any chance to make GC's relevant is great to me :P

unseenmage
2017-06-12, 07:26 PM
You may have seen this because it was brought up in the CR thread and I believe this thread may be derivative of that, but someone had brought up putting the Psuedonatural Template on a Gelatinous Cube as a high level encounter.
I DID see it and I share your affection for the humble cube.

First time I ever realized how sadly CRed they are was when I used an Ogre Mage Were-Gelatinous Cube as a minor BBEG and having saddled it with the Gel Cube bits made it weaker!

Zombulian
2017-06-12, 07:42 PM
I DID see it and I share your affection for the humble cube.

First time I ever realized how sadly CRed they are was when I used an Ogre Mage Were-Gelatinous Cube as a minor BBEG and having saddled it with the Gel Cube bits made it weaker!

It's almost as if they were designed to only be dangerous in a 10x10 dungeon :P

danielxcutter
2017-06-12, 08:13 PM

Hmm, where was this? I think I said something like this once, but I'm not sure. And I'm not sure if by "CR thread" you mean the "unfairly powerful monsters" thread I made.

DrMotives
2017-06-12, 08:50 PM
So the Zaratan has 38 HD, and a CR of 20. But while it can melee things within 40 ft of it, it has a slow speed of 30, and int score of 6. It really can't do anything against competent ranged attackers. Any templates that give abilities based on HD, like half-(celestial, demon, elemental, fey) it would start acting much closer to its listed CR.

Palanan
2017-06-12, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by DrMotives
So the Zaratan….

Where is this from?

The only version I can find is from the Arms & Equipment Guide, which is a little out of date these days. Is there a 3.5 update somewhere?

Zombulian
2017-06-12, 10:02 PM
Hmm, where was this? I think I said something like this once, but I'm not sure. And I'm not sure if by "CR thread" you mean the "unfairly powerful monsters" thread I made.

That is indeed the thread I was referencing.

danielxcutter
2017-06-12, 10:05 PM
That is indeed the thread I was referencing.

I can't find that one... I mentioned adding the template to mooks, but not specifically to a Cube. And I'm pretty sure I posted something like that somewhere.

Zombulian
2017-06-12, 10:12 PM
I can't find that one... I mentioned adding the template to mooks, but not specifically to a Cube. And I'm pretty sure I posted something like that somewhere.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22085135&postcount=35

danielxcutter
2017-06-12, 10:15 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22085135&postcount=35

Oh, thanks. For some reason I thought I might have posted that, but I was sure that someone did.