PDA

View Full Version : IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-12, 05:49 PM
You all have made your way to the small town of K'lyspel - the last stop before Green Mountain Pass.

Some of you have heard of excellent trade on the other side in the northern lands. You are hoping to find some people who are headed north to travel with as the pass can be quite dangerous.

Some of you are hear in K'lyspel for that potential danger and are hoping to investigate and eventually stop it.

You find yourself needing to spend the night here before accomplishing your goals and come across the only inn in town. It's called "Dame's" named after the woman who runs it. The people there are nice enough though they easily recognize you as outsiders.

In the corner, there is a table of older citizens playing the dice game Gods Willing with coppers. Behind the bar, there is a somewhat daunting bottle of purple liquor that is famous in these parts for knocking your socks off. By the fire, there's a man wearing all furs sleeping with a pipe still in his mouth.

A betting game. Player's can put any amount of gold on a grid numbered 1 through 6. They then roll 3d6 one time.
If 1 die match their bet number, they win 1X the original bet.
If 2 dice match their bet number, they win 2X the original bet.
If 3 dice match their bet number, they win 3X the original bet.
If 0 die match their bet number, they lose the original bet.

scalyfreak
2017-06-12, 11:42 PM
Nice as they seem, a wise half-orc knows better than to expect a warm welcome from strangers. This particular half-orc stops right inside the door to the small town's only inn and scans the crowd (if indeed it can be called such) as she approaches the bar and the lady behind it. Dark eyes pause briefly on the sleeping man by the fire, and on the group playing dice, but not for long. Though alert, the tall soldier none the less seems comparatively relaxed, and the nod she gives the woman behind the bar is polite and respectful. "I'd like a large meal and a room for the night, if you have them. If the room comes with a tub of hot water, that'd be even better."

Though definitely a half-orc, her speech lacks the harsh accents so common among her kind, and the big fighter's demeanor has none of the belligerence one might expect. "If the tub isn't available a pail of hot water will do."

While she talks, Oona counts out a small pile of coins and pushes it across the counter. Room, bath, and meal now paid for, she straightens up, turns to scan the room again, and selects a seat against the wall opposite from the fireplace. She leans her shield against the wall by her chair and sits back, settling comfortably at an angle that lets her watch both door and bar, and observe what goes on in the room. She hands a couple of copper coins over to the serving girl who delivers a large heaping of stew and a thick slice of bread, politely requests a mug of ale to go with the meal, and then turns her attention towards the food. It's been far too long since she had an opportunity to sit down and eat in peace, and she intends to enjoy every moment.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-13, 12:19 AM
The meal is better than Oona expected though still not anything to write home about. As she sits, alert to the happenings of Dame's and looking forward to her impending bath, she notices a young man with an unusually large nose peer in one of the windows anxiously. Other patrons notice as well and pay him no mind, returning to their business. After a few seconds, seemingly unable to find a person he was looking for, he disappears from view.

AssaultMage
2017-06-13, 02:28 AM
Squinting in puzzlement at an odd, large-nosed young man, Aureus strides up the path towards the town's only inn. Footsore and a bit tired from the day's walk, he decides to make a note of the lad and take action if he appears later, rather than follow him. Nothing irregular in his senses anyway. His armor rasps and clanks as he reaches the door and pulls off his helmet. He resolves that tomorrow morning shall be devoted to preventative maintenance. Tucking the helm under one arm, he attempts to scrape some of the caked dirt off of his armored boots before entering "Dame's," as the clapboard sign reads.

He habitually scans the room as he enters, marking each face and expression, trying to get a feel for the patrons and the atmosphere. Nothing really out of the ordinary, he thinks. Just the usual types one finds at out of the way inns and backwater taverns: farmers, old townies, and odd (but harmless) characters. One figure in particular draws his attention: a half-orcish woman, powerfully built and well equipped sits at a bar. Aureus can't quite put his finger on where he might have seen her before, but he knows he's met her in the past. Ruminating on this, he walks to the bar and sits down on one of the spare stools, inwardly welcoming the sensation of finally being off of his feet.

"An ale, if you please, good innkeep," he asks of the woman behind the bar, probably-- he assumes-- the Dame after whom the inn is named. "Whatever you have that is darkest in flavor." He twitches his tabard straight over his mail and sets his helmet down carefully on the bar, out of the way of traffic and within arm's reach. As an afterthought, he mentions, "Also, provided you have room available, I shall be staying until the morrow." He withdraws his coinpurse from the reinforced leather pouch on his sword belt in preparation to pay, an eye on the half-orc as he tries to work out her identity.

Majin
2017-06-13, 02:24 PM
Theren was glad he'd finally found some civilization, if only this small village. He stables his mule, and enters the only in to what seemed to be the only in the village. Inside, Theren immediately walks to the bar. "Greetings. I'd like a cup of wine, and something warm to eat. Whatever you have is good. And if you happen to have a room available, I would very much like to rent one"

After getting his order, Theren sits down to dice with the old folk for a while. Theren liked dice games, though not necessarily just for the monetary gain. He just liked to feel what the fate and the gods had in store for him. He makes some small talk with other patrons, but stays mostly quiet.

As he's dicing and eating, Theren takes a better look around the inn. Seemed to be surprising amount of outsiders in tonight, for such a small village. Even a half-orc, though luckily she seemed peaceful.

Okay, Theren will bet on number four. The old folk were playing for copper pieces, so Theren will bet 5.

Dice: [roll0]

Theren watched the dice. 2,3 and 5, so his own number was jumped over. Perhaps he should be extra careful tonight.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-13, 09:30 PM
Oona notices the other two people come into Dame's and it isn't hard for her to tell that the people here give them both a slightly less standoffish greeting and service.

Aureus is able to procure a room for the night. Dame pours a brown ale for him. "First drink free for knights of Helm" she says simply, nodding to the symbol of The Watcher on his armor. "Always appreciate some protection in these parts."

Theren tastes his wine. It certainly seems different than normal. Sweeter. Then he realizes it's probably made with those wild berries this area is known for. Strange humans... He also gets a bowl of stew with a large slice of bread. The older folk make pleasant conversation but also discuss some of the dangers in the pass: monsters, orcs, volcanic activity. They mention how relieved they are that more people are soon coming to protect the pass.

As the adventurers sit in Dame's, the young man Oona and Aureus saw before returns to the window. This time, when he sees the knight protector, he looks excited and hurriedly walks into the inn. This time, he has a small girl with him. They walk straight up to the knight.

"We heard you were coming! We need your help!" he blusters at a socially unacceptable volume. The girl nudges him in his side. "I'm... I'm sorry. It's just that you're the only one who can help."

scalyfreak
2017-06-13, 11:34 PM
Still keeping to herself in her corner, the half-orc continues to eat. She notices but pays no heed to the warmer greetings given to the humans who enter, as well as the occasional glance sent her way by the knight who just arrived. She doesn't bother glancing at him in return, and certainly makes no attempt to make eye contact. She is used to being stared at.

Oona takes a long sip of her ale, notices the pleasant flavor, and decides that it is well worth quietly watching him the knights out of the corner of her eye. After all, knights sometimes get stupid when they drink, and forget why they should avoid picking fights with half-orcs in the middle of crowded taverns.

And then the Dame behind the bar addresses the knight as a knight of Helm, and that gets Oona's attention. Certain types of memories tend to linger. She turns to watch the knight now, her brown eyes narrowing for a moment as she studies him, but she stays in her seat. It is often equally stupid for half-orc to approach knights in crowded taverns after all.

The big-nosed young man and the girl, while clearly distraught, earn a brief glance, and are then swiftly ignored. For one, they don't look like they have money. For another, the ale is surprisingly good here.

Besides, there is a knight of Helm on the premises. As Oona recalls, they are not the type who need help dealing with youngsters and children.

JbeJ275
2017-06-14, 10:21 AM
Mark is standing at the back of Dame's sipping his drink and thumbing the knife on his belt. He's had to travel a lot since he split off from his family but maybe he can find a mark with enough coin to keep him in room for a few days.

Majin
2017-06-14, 02:48 PM
Theren lifts his eyes from the dice to look at the girl and the boy with a rather prominent nose. They seemed to be searching for help. Well, it seemed like the gods had provided them with a knight of Helm. A brief smile touches his lips.

"Does anyone happen to know who those two are? And why would they need help from a paladin?" Theren asks from the folks he's dicing with.

AssaultMage
2017-06-14, 06:45 PM
Aureus thanks Dame for her offered free drink, but still places down the coin necessary to cover both his ale and the room for the night. "I assure you, madam, your kindness is welcomed, but I cannot in good faith accept." He smiles brightly and pushes the coins across the counter to her, noting absent-mindedly the familiar half-orc woman is now eyeing him from her place at the bar.

"We Goldsun Watchers merely serve where Helm directs." He sips from the drink, finding it flavorful and refreshing after such a long walk. He closes his eyes and sighs quietly and contentedly. The little things in life are the best things, he thinks. Then again, he laughs to himself, it could just be the journey talking.

Opening his eyes, he sees the large-nosed young man he remembered from the path to the inn, standing directly in front of him. He has a girl in tow, this time and is spouting out what sounds like a rehearsed speech asking for help.

Smiling at the pair, Aureus places a gauntleted hand on the young man's shoulder in a fatherly manner. "Slow down, good man. I have plenty of time to hear the full extent of your plight. I will be happy to lend Helm's protection to you." Provided the cause is worthy, he adds to himself mentally, hoping that for once, it might not be local peasants jumping at their own shadows.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-14, 09:51 PM
One of the older women leans in to talk quietly to Theren. "I've never seen them before... but look at their clothes. They dress like they're from the Pass." The man beside her hushes here so the table can eavesdrop easier.

The young man catches his breath - seemingly relieved at the knights patient demeanor. "In the Pass, there are these sort of caves - these holes in the ground. Steam pours out of them like smoke. It's true! You've all seen it." He looks around to gather support from the bar. Several of the older folk nod knowledgeably.

"Well this mon-" He looks down at the girl, hesitates, then covers her ears with his palms "this monster came climbing out of the one by our house! Big fangs it had - matted fur and a tail like a snake! And them, them black eyes. There's no mercy in them eyes." He shutters. "Dragged my Pa away. I went after him but...
well I heard a lot of scuffling... there was more than one I know it!" He exhales and looks down at the floor. He seems embarrassed to admit his fear to this new armored man but then presses on.

"We have money I swear! I swear by Helm!" He jangles a large number of coins in a surprisingly nice leather bag, releasing the girl's ears in the process. "Just please. Please help him..."

scalyfreak
2017-06-14, 11:29 PM
As young man recounts his tale of great misfortune, the half-orc by the bar makes a point of focusing on her meal. She eats her food and drinks her ale, and doesn't even acknowledge the two young humans seeking help. As she eats, she does glance over at the paladin once more as he offers the young man and girl help, and shakes her head slightly.

Not even the jangling of coins can distract Oona from her first proper meal in over a week.

She does, wisely, decide to be patient and wait until the two unfortunate travelers have finished their conversation with the only one who can help them, before asking for more ale.

AssaultMage
2017-06-15, 04:43 PM
Aureus smiles his best "professional knight-protector providing reassurance" smile and presses the bag of coin back to the lad's chest, away from him. "Rest assured, young man, all donations to the Watchers will be accepted only after the agreed-upon task has been completed." He pauses, takes a quick sip of his ale to moisten his palate, and continues. "Now, let us hear some more about these 'holes' and this beast of yours. You said it has a tail like a snake. How many heads does it possess? How big was it compared to a cow?"

Aureus withdraws a blank, vellum chapbook and a magically-imbued quill from another of his swordbelt's pouches and stands poised to take notes.
He also make sure to take in the boy and girl in full, studying their faces, clothes, and demeanor for anything out of the ordinary.

Aureus makes an insight check to determine if the young man is hiding anything. 1d20+3

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-15, 11:18 PM
Aureus is a professional. He is accustomed to dealing with strangers. Accustomed to interviewing people about dangers they've encountered. This boy is different.

He doesn't seem traumatized. He's making a show of being traumatized, sure. But he doesn't have that quiet "deadness" behind his eyes like so many others do who has endured horrors - a look Aureus has seen in many eyes - a look Aureus has seen in the mirror.

This boy and the girl seemed almost... pleased with themselves? Like a cat about to pounce on easy prey.

"Huge for sure!" The boy replied "The size of you I'd say... and it only had one head - least ways that's all I saw. But it had teeth enough for two heads. Come up right out of the ground with the steam. I figure there's a cave back in there with all matter of dangers." The girl nodded solemnly is support.

"Please sir, we can go at first light. I'll show you the way."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-15, 11:51 PM
He looks around the inn, his money bag still hanging limply in his hand. His eyes alight one by one on each of the travelers. He turns back to the knight.

"You won't even have to fight alone! This place is filled with strong fighters! They'll help you!
Won't you? You'll come and help, won't you?"

Desril
2017-06-16, 12:26 AM
Val'eryn

It'd been a long night for the traveling elf, but she was more bored than tired. Finding herself entering Dame's, she did a quick scan of the common room looking for anything to do and smiled as she saw the table playing Gods Willing. It wasn't a game she played much, but it was an easy way to make some coin...or, if she were to lose, it'd be easy to distract the drunken humans and simply pilfer the profits for herself.

Moving over to the table, she pulls back her hood, revealing her face and pointed ears, and speaking "Hello," she says, a flirtatious look in her eye, "I was wondering if I could join your game...but I'm afraid I haven't any coin on me...could we maybe work out something else I could wager?" The question is innocent enough, and her tone only reinforces it, but the more perceptive might realize that she's only playing at being coy.

Too much fun to be had at the card game, and she missed everything that happened from before she walked in, so someone else will have to notice her and say hi!

scalyfreak
2017-06-16, 01:20 AM
With a sound halfway between a sigh and a grunt, the half-orc fighter-looking woman turns to look critically at the young man. She still holds the mug of ale in her hand, tapping it lightly against the open palm of her

"Those of us who aren't paladins want to know how much you can pay." She glances meaningfully at the coin purse the young man is holding. "What does your father do, that left you with so much money?"

Insight roll to see if Oona picks up on any of the things Aureus noticed:[roll0]

AssaultMage
2017-06-16, 09:09 AM
Aureus narrows his eyes as he starts to pick up on the two young people's demeanor. Why would they be so calm, so collected? Especially if what they said about their father and his untimely disappearance was true. This false front gives him pause, and he makes a small note in his chapbook to be cautious if he proceeds further. This would not be the first time that a group of peasants seeking to resell his expensive equipment for a few quick coins had lured him into an ambush. With a barely audible sigh, he believes that it will not be the last.

And certainly, if they mean him harm, they will mean harm to anyone else in the village. His duty to his god and the price in coin binds him to investigating their devious plot, if nothing else. He resolves to prepare his oaths and spells tonight, so that he is not caught flat-footed on the morrow.

Closing and putting away the book, he again looks the big-nosed fellow straight in the eyes. "Though I am certain that there are many souls who'd care to make some money from this investigation, I must also wonder, as the half-orc maiden there asks, how you will compensate such a large party." He pauses, shakes his head and adds, "No, on the the morrow, we shall go to the place you mention and I shall begin my investigation."

There was no sense endangering anyone else any further, should this be a trap, he resolved. He would go alone, and Helm would protect.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-16, 09:11 AM
The older folk at the table are shocked. With Theren there, this is the most likely the most elf blood there has been at this table. The sun elf notices them looking back and forth between her and the half elf sitting across. The two of them are quite a contrast - one vibrant, lively, with a reddish-gold hue - one quiet, deathly pale, with a bluish hue.

An older man, who seems to run the game, collects himself. "Uh yes, yes. Let's just say you'll owe me." He smiles charmingly "Have a seat! Let's try your luck."

Go ahead and play a couple rounds. You only have time for a few before the young man comes into the inn

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-16, 09:28 AM
The young man answers Oona. Quickly explaining how the volcanic activity leaves behind a mineral in the dirt. He doesn't know much about it but he says that magic users need that mineral. He explains it easily to her without stuttering or a tone of judgement.

If there are two things Oona has learned to recognize in rural-living human children, it's fear and racism. It's always the first thing she sees in their faces when they notice her.

These two don't look at her in fear or disgust and that's impossible. Either they aren't rural-living, they aren't human, or they aren't children.

One thing Oona is sure about them is that they're lying in some way.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-16, 02:30 PM
The young man turned back to the knight protector. "Good yes! I'll take you tomorrow." He leaned in a bit and lowered his voice. "You are strong but... Even the strongest can be outnumbered. Make sure your friends join you against this foe." He stood up straight again.
"We'll see you at the stables tomorrow morning. Then we'll rescue our pa!" With that he walks out the door with the girl.

Desril
2017-06-16, 02:39 PM
"I must have something I can wager," she says with a smile, "So why don't I just wager it on...four." Without further ado she deftly snatches the dice from the table and blows on them for 'luck', putting on a show for the humans before rolling. Unfortunately, she wasn't as good at dice games as cards, but a little luck was all she needed to win...or failing that, just getting them to let their guard down with their 'winnings' before they left.

[roll0]

Majin
2017-06-16, 05:05 PM
Theren lifts an amused eyebrow at the flamboyant elf. These villagers sure were getting quite a show this evening. Quite a coincidence all these oddities were gathering here, of all places.

"I suppose you should count yourself lucky, young lady. This means you won't be owing anyone any favors, though you do not gain anything either. If I were you, I would count this as a sign not to gamble away what you do not posses", Theren says to the elf and stands up. "Now, if you'll excuse me. I don't feel like the dice will be favorable to me this evening"

Theren walks to the knight and the mercenarial half-orc. "Forgive me my interruption, but I couldn't help overhearing your discussion. Were the both of you going to help the children tomorrow?".

scalyfreak
2017-06-16, 06:01 PM
Oona watches the kids leave, glances over at Aureus and belatedly gives a polite nod in greeting. Courtesies taken care of she lifts her ale mug to take a sip, realizes it is empty, and turns her attention towards the Dame behind the bar and the possibility of refilling the mug with more ale. She more or less ignores Theren, aside from a glance in his general direction to note that he's there. Until he asks a questions, at which point she glances over at the half-elf, takes a moment to study his attire and appearance, before responding with a shrug.

Having answered the question she taps her ale mug on the counter, and then sits back down to wait patiently for the mug to be filled. However, since she was close enough to overhear the recently orphaned children and their conversation with Aureus, she's very likely hearing everything Theren is saying and any replies the paladin gives him as well. She's just choosing to focus on obtaining more ale for now.

AssaultMage
2017-06-16, 06:31 PM
Scoffing at the almost blatant bating of the trap, Aureus shakes his head as the children leave. A figure gets up from the gambling table as the door closes behind them and walks towards his end of the inn.

With raised eyebrows and a concerned expression, Aureus studies the sickly-colored half-elf as he approaches. He seems thin, almost too thin, and there's something a bit... disconcerting about him that the paladin senses. He can't quite put his finger on it, but there seems to be a bit of the otherworldly about him. Nevertheless, personal code dictates a polite and dignified response, regardless of strange feelings and the look of illness about him. As he sizes the fellow up, he catches the woman-at-arms' nod towards him and starts to remember where he might have seen the half-orc before. It was years, ago, granted, but he hardly could forget a face. It couldn't be though, could it? He'd have to approach her later, after she was finished with a few more drinks. How remarkable!

"I cannot speak for the lady, good man, but I am a Knight-Protector of the Goldsun Watchers, and am duty- and oathbound to assist where I can."
The paladin cannot help but let a little bit of pride slip into his voice when he mentions his order and title, and even as he realizes what he has done, he feels slightly ashamed of it. He decides against revealing his misgivings regarding the young man and the little girl, best not to raise suspicions and cause harm to further innocents. "However, if it is not too rude of me, why might you be asking? What concern would it be to you? Have you business beyond or in the pass?" Perhaps the half-elf is an adventurer, eager to make a few coins.

He takes another sip from his ale, realizing with some alarm that it is starting to grow warmer. After another, longer pull, he gazes at the half-elf expectantly.

Majin
2017-06-17, 03:19 AM
"Of course. The minerals the boy described sound very interesting, as I am both a merchant", Theren says and opens his palm. He creates an image of a small raven standing on it. He quickly closes his hand and dismisses the illusion. No reason to draw any more attention from the villagers than necessary. "... and a mage. Besides all that, I have to say the pattern here seems very interesting, and I would very much like to see how this plays out".

"I did intend to leave the village tomorrow and head to a larger city anyway. Though I am not in a hurry to get to anywhere, as I managed to sell all of my stock before arriving here, so this excursion would fit my schedule perfectly. If you'll have me, I believe I could be of some use. Theren Siannodel, at your service", Theren says and gives a small bow.

AssaultMage
2017-06-18, 10:12 AM
Looking the half-elf up and down once more, Aureus shrugs his shoulders, armor plates rasping together. "I can only recommend against pursuing your curiosity, as you may not be safe." He pauses for a moment, looking straight in the pale mage's eyes.
"But at the end of the day, that choice is yours and yours alone to make. Rest assured that if you do choose to accompany me, Helm's protection shall extend to you as well."

It couldn't hurt to have a spellcaster's assistance, either, Aureus thinks. Especially one who'd help out both willingly, and without direct compensation by the order. He smiles professionally at the half-elf and returns the bow with a respectful nod.

scalyfreak
2017-06-18, 02:17 PM
After finally receiving a refill of ale (and paying for it), Oona takes a long sip from the mug, and smiles to herself. Though delivered slowly and probably costing her more than it does anyone else in the establishment, once the ale is in front of her, the half-orc thoroughly appreciates every sip.

As she does, she turns on the chair so she's facing the paladin and the sickly pale elfish looking person, making it more obvious that she's listening to them. She waits for a pause in the conversation, then actually gets up from her chair and walks over to join in the talk, starting with introducing herself to Theren.

"Oona Wendel." She gives Theren the same polite nod she's been using as a greeting with everyone so far, then turns her full attention towards Aureus. "Did you ever travel the trade routes around the Pine Hill Outpost, a few hundred miles east from here? Lots of long dusty roads across rolling plains, with narrow bridges that are almost perfect for ambushing caravans..." Her voice trails off, eyebrows raised expectantly.

AssaultMage
2017-06-18, 06:48 PM
His eyes widen in sudden recollection. Of course! That guard whose arm he'd healed! "Yes, as a matter of fact! That was my old patrol route when I was first starting with the Order!" He pauses, blinks, then grins widely. "And you, did you ever slay a host of bandits, with not an ally to your name?"
By Helm, this was the half-orc he'd sworn to keep an eye out for! It had to be! What an addition to the order she'd make, and what a suitable temper for it too. He steadies himself mentally, reminding himself that a lot can change in several years. He'd grown and changed from his days as a callow apprentice to the staunch Knight-Protector he was now... There was to be no surety that a kind-hearted and devoted soldier, willing to lay down her life for a caravan of strangers, might not have had a change of heart in the intervening years.

Aureus signals for Dame, and asks for another brown ale. "And buy the young half-orc another, on my coin, if you will!"

As he waits for Oona to answer his question, he turns to the half-elf. "Ser Siannodel, have your businesses ever brought you to the Outpost? It's near Bluevale." He shakes his head in disbelief, then gestures to Oona. "This upstanding lady here is a bit of a local legend around those parts."

Desril
2017-06-19, 04:42 PM
As the young half-elf she'd been gambling with gets up to go speak to the paladin, Val'eryn gets a curious look in her eye. There didn't seem to be much coin to take for herself at the table at the moment, and perhaps she could fix that by enticing more players to join over the course of the night, but the children's plea, and more importantly their offer of payment, had made her ears perk up as well.

With a casual grin, she gets up from the table, promising to return if they're still playing, and happy to work out something she could wager in lieu of coin when she does, and follows Theren over to the paladin. "I think I'll join you as well," she says while jumping uninvited into the conversation. "I'm curious about this creature they think they saw, and the coin offered. I trust that won't be a problem?" Unlike Oona and Theren, however, she neglects to give her name.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-19, 05:33 PM
As the radiant elf turns to walk the 6' over to the group of travelers, the man running the dice game practically stands up out of his seat to watch her go.
Another woman at the table playfully shoves his arm. "Why don't you have an oil painting commissioned? It'll last longer!" The whole table laughs - the man chuckling right along with them.

scalyfreak
2017-06-19, 08:45 PM
Oona blinks at the enthusiastic recognition and proof that the paladin indeed is who she thought he was, unused to being the recipient of genuine smiles as she is, but recovers quickly and responds with a smile of her own. "As I remember, I had a very reliable ally with me that day." Her left hand casually drops to the sword hilt by her hip and pats the weapon in a rather affectionate gesture. "Still appreciate that you showed up when you did though."

She nods her thanks to the Dame as a second ale mug arrives, and requests a second helping of food. That done, Oona slides the mug into place right next to her first one on the bar, not bothering to comment or even acknowledge how much faster ale arrives when it's requested by someone who isn't a half-orc. Instead, she takes a another long sip from her first ale mug, and waits to see if her food will arrive faster now that the Dame has seen the paladin act like they're friends. More likely, his food will take longer instead, for the same reasons.

While waiting Oona's attention turns towards the elf with bright red hair, who seems to have followed Theren over. "They only said they have money. For all I know there's nothing but scrap metal in that boy's bag." She smirks a bit, amused by how quickly every traveling adventurer in the tavern has come running at the promise of a reward. And just as amused by the fact that not a single local seems bothered enough by the children's plight to lift a finger on their behalf.

Majin
2017-06-20, 02:38 PM
As he waits for Oona to answer his question, he turns to the half-elf. "Ser Siannodel, have your businesses ever brought you to the Outpost? It's near Bluevale." He shakes his head in disbelief, then gestures to Oona. "This upstanding lady here is a bit of a local legend around those parts."

"I indeed have visited the place in question, though I believe the version I was told to might have been a tad exaggerated. While I do not doubt your combat prowess-", Theren gives a small nod to Oona. "-I can scarcely believe someone could single-handedly best three dozen raging orchish marauders. Though that young boy should be glad that a paladin and a heroic warrior here tonight". Indeed, this could not be a mere coincidence. Theren didn't believe in such things.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-21, 12:16 AM
As the night draws to a close, the travelers make their eventual way up to their rooms. The rooms are small and simple: a bed, a chair, a tiny table with a pitcher of water and a candle, and a small window. At most, you estimate they are about 5x10. Still, they aren't dirty.

As you fall asleep (or into a deep state of meditation) you hear the hooting of owls and the howling of wolves through the small window.

In the morning only one person remains in the in - Dame herself.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b2/9d/39/b29d3936d544549d8ae3a83c83cade3d.jpg
She greets each of you in turn with a nod and occasionally a quiet "Morning".

Through the main window, you can see the young man pacing anxiously.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Z3nVAdJ-oM4/UP2nceY0lHI/AAAAAAAAEUk/yZeU1MLrUPA/s1600/dell.jpg
When you walk outside, he looks very relieved. "I was afraid you all might not come! Are you ready to go?" The little girl stands at his side.

scalyfreak
2017-06-21, 07:53 AM
Through the main window, you can see the young man pacing anxiously.

"Before we go out there..." Oona stops halfway through the room, even going so far as to reach out and grab Aureus' arm to get his attention if necessary and nods towards the young man pacing outside. "Anyone else getting the impression we're walking into a trap here?"

OOC: Apologies if this seems like railroading a bit... It doesn't make sense for two experienced warriors to walk into a likely ambush without discussing it first, and the post that has us leaving in the morning caught me by surprise.

JbeJ275
2017-06-21, 04:05 PM
It's at this point a guy with a green bandana, a holy symbol around his neck and a small knife in his hand approaches the party.
So umm... hypothetical question for you lot, if some guys where heading out to do great deeds and possibly find large piles of money and you wanted to ask to join them, how would you go about the aforementioned asking? Because I am just massively bored.

AssaultMage
2017-06-21, 05:23 PM
Having awakened early, cleaned and oiled his armor and blade, Aureus has found a good place to sit in the inn, near the fire, to see what he can make of those still left from the previous night. Slowly but surely the others make their way back, first the half-orc mercenary, then the merchant-mage, then the striking, but obviously-up-to-no-good woman who'd joined them last evening. The paladin scrutinizes them with the fresh light of the morning. The half-elf seems even paler than he did last night, unbelievably so. It's a wonder he isn't actually ill, Aureus thinks. The fighter, still her gruff and reserved self, has planted herself nearby, and seems about as trusting of the children as Aureus does. Good instincts on that one.

After she expresses her misgivings, the Knight-Protector nods in agreement, leaning closer for a more private word. "It is most assuredly a trap, I agree. I've been trying to dissuade the others from accompanying me, but I suppose that old saying about adventurers and their coin holds true." He sighs, looking the ersatz group up and down. So much for a simple investigation. There was no way this whole affair was not going to turn out confusing and messy now. Helm help us, he thinks, what have I gotten myself into now.

When the suspicious, green-kerchiefed man walks up to the party and inquires about potential membership, it is all Aureus can do to contain a snort of bemused laughter. Of course, out of the woodwork as soon as coin is even sniffed. Not even coin, he reminds himself-- just the talk of it. As Oona pointed out the evening prior, no one had even seen inside the bag the boy held. While it had felt like coin, there was no assurance that it wasn't simply pieces of metal with no value. While Aureus has a duty to protect, he cannot understand why the others would accompany him for such little concrete proof of reward.

"Alright, everyone, listen," he raises his voice to be heard above the side conversations. "I am duty-bound to assist these children, coin or no. So I shall be departing in a matter of minutes.
However. I must warn you that I suspect something is amiss with this situation." He pauses to determine how to put this, without offending or being rude to anyone. "I believe there is substantial risk to this endeavor and I would prefer that, if you cannot handle yourselves in combat, that you do not accompany me, or even head in the direction of the pass, until I've finished my investigation of the area. If you still wish to come... well, on your own head be it. The protection of Helm will extend to you as much as I may be able to provide it."

scalyfreak
2017-06-21, 07:36 PM
The fighter, still her gruff and reserved self, has planted herself nearby, and seems about as trusting of the children as Aureus does. Good instincts on that one.

After she expresses her misgivings, the Knight-Protector nods in agreement, leaning closer for a more private word. "It is most assuredly a trap, I agree. I've been trying to dissuade the others from accompanying me, but I suppose that old saying about adventurers and their coin holds true."

"Of course." The half-orc's tone of voice suggests that conclusion is more than obvious. "We've got to eat too." She shrugs, shifting her glaive over to rest it casually over her right shoulder, while her left hand steadies her sword and keeps her shield out of the way. Though she seems just a bit more short tempered than last night her movements are brisk and alert, and her dark brown gaze moves around the room as she speaks, watching everyone else, cataloging their movements and belongings, making note of where all exits are.

It's at this point a guy with a green bandana, a holy symbol around his neck and a small knife in his hand approaches the party.
So umm... hypothetical question for you lot, if some guys where heading out to do great deeds and possibly find large piles of money and you wanted to ask to join them, how would you go about the aforementioned asking? Because I am just massively bored.

"I'd start by staying away until they were done talking about something that probably isn't my business to begin with." The pointed words are followed by an equally sharp glare from the half-orc with the many weapons.

When the suspicious, green-kerchiefed man walks up to the party and inquires about potential membership, it is all Aureus can do to contain a snort of bemused laughter. Of course, out of the woodwork as soon as coin is even sniffed. Not even coin, he reminds himself-- just the talk of it. As Oona pointed out the evening prior, no one had even seen inside the bag the boy held. While it had felt like coin, there was no assurance that it wasn't simply pieces of metal with no value. While Aureus has a duty to protect, he cannot understand why the others would accompany him for such little concrete proof of reward.

"Alright, everyone, listen," he raises his voice to be heard above the side conversations. "I am duty-bound to assist these children, coin or no. So I shall be departing in a matter of minutes.
However. I must warn you that I suspect something is amiss with this situation." He pauses to determine how to put this, without offending or being rude to anyone. "I believe there is substantial risk to this endeavor and I would prefer that, if you cannot handle yourselves in combat, that you do not accompany me, or even head in the direction of the pass, until I've finished my investigation of the area. If you still wish to come... well, on your own head be it. The protection of Helm will extend to you as much as I may be able to provide it."

...and just like that, the glare that was directed at the human with the dagger and holy symbol turns and hits Aureus full on. "Don't insult me. You practically saved my life, so I'm going with you until that debt's paid. We both know I do just fine in fights anyway." She sets the glaive down and leans against it, the way someone might a walking staff. Her eyes narrow slightly and the glare turns inquisitive as she studies the two elf people, one of them looking all the more bright and radiant by contrast to the pale one, and the human who claims just to be bored. "What can you do that will help with whatever those things are? Kind of hard to plan out tactics if we don't know what we have to work with."

Majin
2017-06-22, 09:57 AM
Before they depart, Theren will get his mule and the cart from a stable where he'd left them.

"That is fine. I will of course do what I can, but if I was meant to die today, I'll die today", Theren says. "If this is a trap, I wonder what the motivation could be. Paladins aren't the easiest prey. I suppose we'll soon see".

Her eyes narrow slightly and the glare turns inquisitive as she studies the two elf people, one of them looking all the more bright and radiant by contrast to the pale one, and the human who claims just to be bored. "What can you do that will help with whatever those things are? Kind of hard to plan out tactics if we don't know what we have to work with."

Theren scratches his beard and gives the half-orc a calm smile. "Of course. As is obvious, I'm not a warrior, but I'll do my best not to be a burden. Let's see. Fire and lightning are what I'd usually rely on if I had to defend myself. I also have a handy sleep spell, but depending on how strong that monster is, it might not help immediately. If the monster understands speech, I could try to enchant it and make it leave, though that would only be a temporary solution. If necessary, I can also use a healing spell"

scalyfreak
2017-06-22, 11:58 PM
"Good to know." Oona grins. The thought of attacking her enemies with fire and lightning must appeal to her. "You should probably move sideways when we're attacked, so we don't get in the way."She gestures at herself and Aureus, then adds, a bit more quietly, "Paladins wear expensive things. That's good motivation for some."

Desril
2017-06-23, 07:34 PM
As the others discuss and even attempt to dissuade each other from joining, the elven woman simply smiles and keeps quietly to the back of the group, not wasting anyone's time with her answer and maintaining an air of mystery about why she was there. There wasn't any point in telling them the real answer, that she was simply bored and walking into this probable ambush was more interesting than gambling in a small town bar. Still, it was prudent to share her combat capabilities in case this trap was actually dangerous, and so while the others explain what they're capable of, Val'eryn adds in, "I'm more than capable with a bow or blade," she says, motioning to the bow on her back and swaying her hips to the side to emphasize the rapier sheathed at her hip. "And should those fail, I can always rely on my magical talents."

"Now, shall we go see what really happened?"

scalyfreak
2017-06-24, 08:23 PM
Oona nods to the woman with the bright red hair and rapier. It is never a bad thing to have an archer with you in battle. "Let's go. And when it comes time to fight whoever set the trap, me and Aureus will take whoever is up front, and you and him," - she gestures towards Theren - "you can stand back and focus on the ones we can't reach. That leaves you." She turns her attention towards the man with the dagger and the holy symbol, who has yet to introduce himself. "What do you do?"

JbeJ275
2017-06-24, 09:31 PM
In the bedroom? Most things. On the battlefield a bit of this he says pointing to the daggers on his belt and a little bit of Magic, not to much of the flashy stuff more strengthing, healing guiding and maybe misdirecting.

AssaultMage
2017-06-25, 08:51 PM
Aureus nods at Oona's tactical assessment and looks at the motley party of individuals assembled in the greatroom of Dame's. Not what he'd expected coming here. Not at all.
He offers a silent prayer to Helm that the elf-folk will stay out of his way, and not require additional protection. He also prays for wisdom and the ability to sense the upcoming supposed trap. He also smiles inwardly at the half-orc's willingness to assist, pleased at her instincts. A great addition to the Order, if she could be recruited. A great addition indeed. Exhaling softly, he addresses the mysterious man with the amulet and green bandana, "Stay close to me if it comes to a fight." Where I can see you, he adds in his mind, narrowing his eyes.

After a beat, he looks at the party and asks, "Are we prepared to depart? The children are outside and await our presence, and I doubt I can delay my investigation much longer." He dons his helmet, slipping on his padded cap and settling the great helm down over it, then begins to make his way to the door. He twitches his cloak back over his shoulders to cover his armor, ready for the walk to the pass.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-25, 11:07 PM
The inn is still empty except for the only mildly interested Dame behind the bar as the party speaks of leaving.

"Good luck with your quest..." she says dryly. "Free drink if you make it back to tell the tale."

scalyfreak
2017-06-25, 11:56 PM
Oona does a double-take, then brightens and turns, and gifts the Dame of the establishment with the kind of grin one might expect to see on a dog who was just promised a piece of cheese. "Can I get free food instead of drink? Because the stew last night was great, and if you throw in some of that fresh bread, I'd be willing to fight a demon to get back for it."

She nods to Aureus and makes a big show of gesturing with her free hand towards the door. "Lead the way, great investigator. I'm just here in case things need killing."

All important conversational duties taken care of, the half-orc shifts the glaive on her shoulder to make it easier to maneuver, and gives one last once-over to the red-haired elf, the corpse-like one, and the stranger with the medallion and the bandanna. None of them look like they'd be a decent sparring partner, but magic users never do. Still watching the three of them, Oona follows Aureus out of the inn, content to let him handle all kinds of conversations with the "children".

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-26, 12:22 AM
"Can do." Dame replies - almost looking happy at Oona's comment "Make it myself".

When you all walk outside, the young man looks very relieved. "I was afraid you all might not come! Are you ready to go?" The little girl stands at his side but as 5 grown-up adventurers with weapons and armor walk up, she shyly shuffles behind her brother, only barely peeking out.

Theren's mule is easy enough to prepare for the journey and is soon ready by the party's side.

Majin
2017-06-26, 01:39 PM
Theren sits on his cart and grabs the reins. "I'm ready to depart". The boy is oddly enthusiastic, considering his father had gone missing. They'd have to be a close eye on these kids. It could be a trap after all.

"Now before we perhaps have to fight monsters, I think it's proper we at least know each other's names. I don't think I caught your names yesterday, young lady and mister cleric", Theren says to the elf and cleric.

Desril
2017-06-26, 05:37 PM
Taking note of the Dame's offer, free drink was never unwelcome after all, the elf says nothing as she departs with the others, simply sizing them up once more, and making note of the ones who look more entertaining, until Theren asks for her name. "Val'eryn," she says with a smile. "Though most humans call me Val."

Once everyone is ready, Val glances toward Theren's cart, "I don't suppose anyone wants to play a game to pass the time on the road? I have a deck of cards on me."

JbeJ275
2017-06-26, 05:51 PM
I am Mark, and I will surely take you in in this game of cards. Games of luck and chance always seem to favour me. He says with a broad smile.

Desril
2017-06-26, 06:05 PM
"Oh?" She raises an eyebrow in curiosity and smiles. "Should we find something to wager on then? A game is always so much more entertaining with something on the line, don't you think?"

JbeJ275
2017-06-26, 06:24 PM
"Oh?" She raises an eyebrow in curiosity and smiles. "Should we find something to wager on then? A game is always so much more entertaining with something on the line, don't you think?"

Well I'd never miss a chance to gamble with someone like yourself. I have some small amount on me but if it's true that there will be bounty in thiscave perhaps wwe may exchange some of that, ehat do you say?

Desril
2017-06-26, 06:35 PM
Wagering on the potential pay-off was appealing to the elven woman, but it was hardly the only option. It was certainly more interesting than whatever meager coin the two might've had on them at least, but still, she offers an alternative. "Well, I'm not opposed to wagering half my share of whatever treasure we might find, but if that's too rich for you, we could always play for clothing," she says with a wry smile, curious to see if she could strip the cleric on the road, and knowing he'd be distracted by the idea of her doing the same regardless of what he decided to wager and thus easier to outplay.

So how do we want to determine the winner of a card game? Simple luck roll d20 w/proficiency in playing cards if applicable? Multiple rolls or just one? Or something else? I'll go with whatever, so feel free to roll it in your post and I'll do the same in the response.

JbeJ275
2017-06-26, 06:50 PM
Now that's a game I haven't played in a while, but those stakes I'm more than open to, however I do believe you have failed to notice the presence of children amongst us. Perhaps gambling money would be safer until we arrive at a more private setting.

I think d20+prof makes the most sense, despite worshipping the goddess of luck I technically have no proficiency with gambling but I am going to use the cantrip guidance which is an extra d4.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Desril
2017-06-26, 06:59 PM
"You humans have such amusing notions of propriety when your young are involved," she says while shuffling and dealing the cards. "We're all armed and about to go slay whatever horrible beast took their father from them and may die in the process, covering them in gore and viscera and perhaps haunting them for the rest of their very short lives, and yet exposing them to the natural beauties of the world is something they must be shielded from? Lady Firehair and Lady Silverhair must be so utterly confused by your species." There's a sense of bemused mirth in her voice, almost like she's explaining to a child how foolish it's being but using words she knows it doesn't understand and not expecting it to learn from the lesson, but more amused than annoyed at the situation. Grinning, she looks down to the boy, "Tell me child, what do you think?"

Playing elves has its perks lol

Val does have proficiency [roll0]

scalyfreak
2017-06-26, 07:10 PM
Oona studies the cart for a moment, then sets her glaive against the side of the vehicle and calmly and methodically begins loading he pack and other belongings onto the cart.... backpack, bed roll, water skin, and so on until all she's carrying is her shield, strapped to her left arm, and her weapons. She checks the items on the cart once more time to make sure they're securely loaded and not about to bounce around or fall off, the way her father taught her. Finally done, she retrieves her glaive and rolls her shoulders, loosening the muscles in her back in preparation for the journey.

She ignores the two wannabe gamblers until they actually start to play, aside from a brief snort and a shake of her head at Val's description of their near future. She makes it sound like violence is a bad thing... but then she is an elf, after all.

"If you're that bored you can start keeping watch for big black-eyed creatures with snake tails who want to eat us. You know, do something useful?" With another slight shake of her head, the half-orc dismisses both elf and human, and their game, and waits for the cart to start moving. As it does, she starts walking along side it. On the right side, glaive resting casually on her right shoulder.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-26, 07:43 PM
The young man and his sister are sitting in the "corner" of the cart. They are staring around at everyone in interest but the young man is mostly watching Val. At the question, he looks around seeming to wonder if he's the one being spoken to.
"I uh... think that" he clears his throat, now committing to his response. "Listen. You don't want a young human like me telling you to live anymore than you want an older human telling you how to live." He nods to indicate Mark. "If you want to play for clothes, then lady, don't let me or anyone else stop you!" He smiles broadly.

Desril
2017-06-26, 07:53 PM
Grinning at the boy's answer, wondering if he realizes how obviously biased his response was, she nonetheless turns toward Mark once more. "You heard the boy, Mark, what'd you say? Want to play another round? For either the other half of your share, or..." she trails off, pulling slightly at her top.

Your call JbeJ, up for round 2?

JbeJ275
2017-06-26, 07:59 PM
Grinning at the boy's answer, wondering if he realizes how obviously biased his response was, she nonetheless turns toward Mark once more. "You heard the boy, Mark, what'd you say? Want to play another round? For either the other half of your share, or..." she trails off, pulling slightly at her top.

Your call JbeJ, up for round 2?
Heads first, don't look. can't lose. Surely I could win back my money before we play for anything more interesting though I'm not sure when I agreed half.

Do you want to roll the same way or something else
[roll0]
[roll1]
+5 insight if applicable

Desril
2017-06-26, 08:18 PM
"Someone's confident," she says, curious to see how far she could push the human and happily continuing to play.

...Sorry, I think I might've misunderstood something there. What're we wagering now? Not that it'll stop Val from agreeing.

Deception vs Insight this time then? [roll0] +2 if gambling proficiency also applies

JbeJ275
2017-06-27, 03:16 AM
"Someone's confident," she says, curious to see how far she could push the human and happily continuing to play.

...Sorry, I think I might've misunderstood something there. What're we wagering now? Not that it'll stop Val from agreeing.

Deception vs Insight this time then? [roll0] +2 if gambling proficiency also applies
And the luck swings back into my favour, now we balanced on the money front perhaps we should play for more interesting things?

I meant to bet on the money again to try and win back the share of the loot we were gambling with, sorry if it was unclear I posted quite late last night.

Desril
2017-06-27, 06:49 AM
Silently cursing herself for letting the extra share of the loot get away, Val nonetheless continues to smile, "Of course, what'll it be?"

She's up for any wager, so feel free to suggest something unless you want to default to clothes.

Luck [roll0] +2 Proficiency, +7 Deception if you want to roll Insight again

JbeJ275
2017-06-27, 07:07 AM
Silently cursing herself for letting the extra share of the loot get away, Val nonetheless continues to smile, "Of course, what'll it be?"

She's up for any wager, so feel free to suggest something unless you want to default to clothes.

Luck [roll0] +2 Proficiency, +7 Deception if you want to roll Insight again

Well I would hardly be a gentleman if I never played the way the lady suggested. Clothes it is.

How the hell do you get +7 to a skill at level three? That will certainly come in handy for the party later.
Insight: [roll0]
Guidance [roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-27, 10:23 AM
The road is rough and winding as it heads into the mountain pass. Oona and Theren especially are able to note their surroundings on the trip. The trees become taller, the forest denser, as the road steadily climbs in elevation.

After about an hours walk, Oona notices what looks like thin white smoke rising above the tree line ahead. In fact, there are 4 such areas pouring out white smoke.

The young man was throughly distracted by the card game, but now focuses on the road for a brief moment. "Oh! We're nearly there. Just a bit farther and we can walk the rest of the way to the steam cave. Where they've got my Pa."

Majin
2017-06-27, 02:54 PM
"Very well then". Theren steps down from his cart. He hides the cart behind shrubbery, but doesn't tie the mule anywhere. "Wouldn't want to give some wolf an easy meal".

"Folk heroes and knights first", Theren says and gestures to Aureus and Oona. "I wouldn't want to get in your way after all". Theren himself draws his own finely carved wand and checks his daggers is still on his belt. It wasn't a weapon he normally relied on, but you never knew.

Theren also casts a protective abjuration on himself before they move on.

Cast Mage Armor

scalyfreak
2017-06-27, 06:35 PM
Oona very pointedly goes nowhere to begin with. Nor does she comment that the one monster now is referred to as "they" or point out that majority of creatures who hunt humanoids to eat them tend not to leave them alive this long. Instead she sets her glaive against the ground in a way that seems casually relaxed at first, though the way her hands are positioned on the weapon suggests she's ready to swing it the instant something dangerous shows up.

Thus prepared, she waits for Aureus to indicate their next course of action, hoping to herself that it doesn't involve walking blindly into an underground tunnel she is firmly convinced is a trap.

AssaultMage
2017-06-27, 08:34 PM
Rolling his eyes and trying to refrain from saying anything untoward, Aureus shoulders his light pack and hefts his spear as they set out to the caves. Ne'er-do-wells, he snorts inaudibly, frowning beneath his great helm at the antics of the elf-- Val, wasn't it?-- and the man called Mark. Gambling even on the road, and for clothing? They lack discipline. But this was not his issue to solve, he decides. The task at hand was, and he has a long walk ahead of him.

Once they arrive at the general location of the cave he surveys the area, ensuring that no one unwanted is around, waiting to spring a trap. The boy, who had been gawking at the elf's provocative dress and ample endowments, suddenly regains focus and announces their arrival, as well as a few, smaller changes to the original tale. This was not good.

"Just a moment, young man. They? You had said there was only one beast. And from what I am to understand, it was not the sort of beast that took prisoners." He narrows his green eyes in the shadows of his helmet and unslings his pack, placing it at the foot of the cart's wheel. From a glance, he can tell that Oona has caught on to this as well, and that Theren is none too certain either,
as his abjuration shimmers. Now that he is in the immediate vicinity, he decides to focus all his senses and clear his mind, allowing Helm to guide his actions and thoughts before continuing.

Aureus uses Divine Sense to detect any celestial/fiend/undead in the area, along with a Perception check: [roll0]

He also checks for Insight on the boy again, to see if anything has changed about him, and whether he is lying or perturbed. [roll1]

scalyfreak
2017-06-27, 10:35 PM
The corner of the half-orc's mouth turns up just a little bit as Aureus confronts the "child" or whatever the creature is. Glancing around very briefly she verifies that she has plenty of empty space immediately around her for the glaive without having to worry about hitting an ally, and turns her still very casual dark eyes towards the paladin.

"That's a good thing. If the man's already dead we can take our time scouting the place out before moving on."

As she speaks Oona looks over at the two children to see how they react to such a callous description of their dead parent.

Rolling another Insight check, because paranoid half-orc. [roll0]

Desril
2017-06-28, 03:57 AM
Playing as they rode along in the cart, Val'eryn quickly found that Mark had her outclassed. Whether it was because Lady Luck was smiling down on her cleric, or because the elf had grown cocky from her initial win, she found herself quickly losing piece by piece of her outfit, starting with her gloves, and then her shirt, baring her breasts to the wind and her companions to tease the boy and distract the cleric, but it was little help. Still, she insisted they play on, confident in her eventual victory, but her leather pants were next, leaving the elven beauty in naught but her boots and knickers, and even they were quick to follow suit.

Despite her loss, however, Val was in good spirits, laughing as she kicks off her boots just as the boy warns that they've nearly arrived. "I guess I'll have to try and win my things back after we've saved the boy's father, Lady Luck won't side with you next time," she says as she hops off of the cart, making no effort to cover herself even as she tosses her quiver and bow over her shoulder. Looking at her rapier, she shrugs, realizing she doesn't have any way to carry it save with naked steel exposed, and then she'd have to drop it to draw her bow. "Well, it'll be fine here, I'll just have to rely on my magics in the meantime." Shrugging her shoulders, she turns to begin following the path until Aureus pointed out the boy's slip up, and she turns her attention toward the children.

Stopping in her tracks, the skyclad elf stalks over to the boy and leans forward to look him in the eye, "He's right you know, your story seems to be different today...so tell me boy, what aren't you telling us?"

Insight [roll0]
Persuasion [roll1]

Majin
2017-06-28, 10:24 AM
Theren just smiles, looking at Mark and Val'eryn gambling. The elf seemed like a very carefree type. Well, Theren wouldn't complain, she was rather pleasant to look at after all. "I suppose that's what you should expect, gambling with a man who serves the Goddess of Fortune", Theren comments.

Theren silently watches the boy's reaction, as Aureus questions him.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-28, 10:43 AM
As aureus' words come down on the young man, he begins to look scared and somewhat at a loss for words. He hesitates in his distress and Oona makes her comment that it would be more convenient for them if his father was dead. He stares at her in shock and the girl's eyes slowly well up with tears. He hears her sniffle, kneels down, and brings her in close to him protectively.
"I told you. I said I thought there was more than one in the cave." He covers her ears with his palms as he did in Dame's. "Listen. I know that Pa is most like dead by now. I'm no fool. But I need to know positive and if it turns out he's gone, I want vengeance! And I want to be sure they can't come back for Julie here."
He drops his head and sighs in a mixture of disappointment and frustration. He uncovers Julie's ears. "It's okay J. We'll find him."
He looks up as Val starts walking towards him.

The Paladin senses no celestial, fiends, or undead

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-28, 11:30 AM
"Val, I... I can't tell you what I don't know. Honest to gods. Big monster - unusually large. Teeth and claws. Took my Pa into the cave with the steam coming out. I'm scared to go down there by myself so I don't know how many there are or how dangerous they are or... anything. I really don't know anything."

JbeJ275
2017-06-28, 12:48 PM
Mark was grinning and his he started winning the cards, while he had lost a few accessories his travelling cloak and most greviously abhis bandana at one point or another eventually he came onto an amazing streak of lucky hands. Grinning at his now bare chested opponent Well luck went against you. With this kisses his holy symbol. But your one of the better gamblers I've played against. A slow eye begins trailing down her body Where did you umm... learn how to um.... Sorry what was I saying?

After they began discussing tactics he grew more serious keeping an eye on the boy and trying to discern if he was telling the full truth.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-28, 02:46 PM
Theren has heard the concerns of Oona and Aureus before about these children. But this is the first time he's started to notice for himself that there may be something off about these children. Overall, they don't seem dangerous. If anything, Theren feels more at ease about following them to this cave. And yet... there is undeniably something strange about this girl, Julie. She seems to be staring at Val almost as voraciously as the young man (or Mark, or himself, Theren notes wryly). But she can't be older than maybe 4 or 5... Now that he's thinking back on the events of the morning, he can't remember her doing much a child her age might do on a long trip like asking for snacks or getting into trouble.

Still, he doesn't detect malice coming from either of them... Very strange indeed.

Majin
2017-06-28, 03:06 PM
Theren frowns. It's not as if he feels these children are malicious. They do seem to be asking for help. But there was just something... wrong.

"Sir Amberfield", Theren says to Aureus. "As we are about to go into battle, it'd be an honor if I could receive Helm's blessing beforehand"

Theren moves just out of earshot of the group. He puts his palms together and hangs his heads. To Aureus, he says in a quiet voice. "You're right, there's something off about them. I don't think they're children, the younger one at least. She's been acting very un-childlike this whole time. They came to ask for help from you, so I will let you decide what to do. I don't however feel like they mean to harm us. They could be honestly asking for help".

AssaultMage
2017-06-28, 06:26 PM
Aureus nods at Theren's request and walks to the side with him so that he may place Helm's protection with the concentration necessary. After hearing the elf voice his concerns about the children, particularly the girl, he speaks. "Agreed, I've felt something unsettling about them and their behavior for awhile now, but cannot quite put a reason to my misgiving. If you feel they are benign, we shall proceed-- with caution-- into the caves. I haven't sensed anything nefarious or otherworldly in these hills, so if it is a trap, it shall be one that is man, or beast made."

He says the words taught by the Order, reaches out his hand, makes the appropriate symbol in the air, and anoints the elf with a sprinkle of water from the chapterhouse's clear spring.

"Any others who wish the blessing of Helm may also receive it," he announces. "If not, let us head into the cave and see what lurks within." He pauses, then mutters under his breath, "Should go without saying that clothes aren't optional..."

Aureus casts Bless on Theren and any other willing participant.

scalyfreak
2017-06-28, 09:03 PM
Oona watches Theren and Aureus walk off to the side to whisper about something, and shrugs it off. Theren might be a shifty and unknown factor, but Aureus has earned a certain amount of trust with his actions from several years ago. He'll keep the merchant mage in line if necessary.

So instead of following them, she saunters over to the cart, slides the end of the long glaive shaft in underneath the discarded clothes and leather armor Val has left there. She proceeds to fling the items right at center of the redhead's voluptuous chest, with a movement that is almost disgustingly effortless, and low growl of open irritation.

"Put this on, he's letting you borrow it until you can win it back. You can flaunt your pretty tits and all that other stuff you have that jiggles, when we're not in the middle of facing monsters that my allies need to actually focus on." She pauses and regards Val again, her tone turning from irritated to sarcastically mocking. "Or you can stay naked, and stay here and guard the cart while we do the work. If you thought the trip was boring, you're going to love guard duty."

Having said her piece the half-orc turns her back on the entire clothes-less situation, ignoring any comments from anyone, and starts towards the paladin and the spell-slinging mage. Aureus is offering blessings, and only a fool would turn down a little extra help against unknown enemies.

Majin
2017-06-29, 10:07 AM
Theren nods at the paladin, and says in a normal speaking voice: "Thank you, sir Amberfield". He gives a small nod and walks back to the group.

Theren wonders wonders how suspicious the 'children' were. They certainly knew the group didn't trust them. It would do well to keep a close eye on them, even though Theren hadn't sensed any malicious intent. If they did try something, well, at least some of them would be prepared for it. That half-orc, Oona, didn't seem to trust anyone but the sword on her hip. At least she would balance the carefree attitudes of the cleric and the female elf.

Theren stands quietly, eyeing the path ahead, ready to move.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-29, 10:06 PM
The path winds ahead of the group and leads further off the main road. The forest becomes darker and damper as the tree limbs grow thicker overhead. You walk a minute, maybe two, along the path before you start to see steam flowing towards you in the wind. You expect it to be hot but it's mostly cool almost like fog.

You walk through it towards the source. Sure enough, there's a hole in the side of a cliff from which the steam seems to be originating. Stranger still, there's a small puddle in front of the opening that seems to boil on its own. There's still a way around it into the cave though.

"Just... just in there." the young man stammers

scalyfreak
2017-06-30, 12:50 AM
Oona looks at the tunnel opening with a sigh, and then at her glaive with another sigh. "I hate tunnels," she mutters just quietly enough to keep ti to herself (except perhaps for sharp-eared beings nearby). She studied the tunnel opening, trying to get an idea of how low the ceiling in there is. Resigning herself to leaving her beloved pole-arm behind she turns back towards the children and studies them thoughtfully.

"Did you hear or smell the monster before it arrived? How did you actually notice it?"

Because it's worked so well for us so far! [roll0]

Desril
2017-06-30, 01:42 PM
Val simply smirks at Oona and casually side-steps the flung clothing, "Now, now dear, I lost fair and square, I'm not going to cheat the man," and then she smirks and snaps her fingers as a cloak of darkness seems to envelop her, the shadows clinging to her body and hardening, almost like a thin, second skin, technically covering her nude form despite hiding nothing. "I did say I had other tricks, didn't I? But maybe we should get you out of that armor, see if there's anything under there that makes up for that face."

Still, as the half-orc turns away, Val doesn't hide the scowl directed at her back and moves onward, following the others, happily accepting the blessing. But unlike her companions, she noticed nothing out of the ordinary with the children. The nuances of human childhood were lost to her, seeing little difference in how they acted and how they act when "fully grown" and so she pays no attention to them as the group reaches the cave and the strange puddle.

"Cold steam? How odd..." Given that, she casually saunters over to the boiling puddle and bends over at the waist to reach down, checking to see if it was giving off heat and, if not, to gingerly touch it, testing the waters.

I don't mind interparty conflict as long as it's understood by the players that there's no hard feelings OOC. Though perhaps there should be ground rules as to how far said conflict can go, so we're all on the same page.

Using Armor of Shadows to cast Mage Armor

...Investigation on the puddle? [roll0]

AssaultMage
2017-06-30, 07:11 PM
The party approaches the cave, and Aureus feels his vision adjust to the darker light. He focuses his senses, listening, looking, even smelling the area for odd changes. Yes, the odd cool steam is unusual, but stranger things could lurk behind it. Further into the cave could be much, much worse. He catches himself eyeing the elf as she bends to inspect the pool, then averts his eyes, embarrassed and angry with himself for even letting her win that small victory. He also feels gratitude that his helm hides his face. He awkwardly brushes past Val, broad shoulders and pauldrons making the movement difficult, and edges his way into the cave beyond. A mere puddle is not enough to stop a Knight-Protector, after all.

Perception roll for inspecting the interior of the cave: [roll0]

scalyfreak
2017-06-30, 07:15 PM
While she waits for the children to answer her questions, Oona begins looking for a safe place to hide the glaive. Surely there's a big shrubbery or some other kind of vegetation that can be used to conceal the item while the group goes spelunking.

JbeJ275
2017-06-30, 07:18 PM
Before progressing Mark looks over the children, he is an expert in the ways any urchin could act having gone through that himself, and he is now all the more able at figuring out trickery given his divine connection to that ideal.

Rolls:
Insight [roll0]
By Tymora this cantrip is useful: [roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-30, 08:37 PM
Oo a easily finds some shrubbery.
"It just come up and took him - no warning. I saw it scamper back here."
As people move closer to the source of the steam, it feels warmer, as if the heat was being dispersed in the wind.
Val can feel heat radiating off the surface of the water. Feels about the temperature of a hot tea. Before she sticks a tentative hand in however, she realizes from the sulfurous smell that this water is likely acidic.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-30, 08:52 PM
Mark feels the young mans anxiety. It's hard to tell if it's because he's waiting for a mutual enemy to attack him or if it's because he's about to spring a trap. Certainly though, he's nervous and on edge.
Careful" he loudly whispers to the paladin they could be anywhere"
Aureus steps through the somewhat warmer steam and into the cave. It's quite dark for his human eyes but he can gather that there is more of the steam puddle in here and that the cave walls are farther than he can see. There are dark shapes everywhere. But of course even the walls looks like dark shapes to him in this lighting.

Majin
2017-07-01, 05:47 AM
Theren walks into the cave warily. He tries to spot anything moving, and casts a small spell to guide himself.

Perception: [roll0]+ Guidance [roll1]

scalyfreak
2017-07-02, 01:32 AM
Oona nods her thanks to the young man for answering her question, and wanders off to the side. She spends some time concealing her glaive in a safe location on the ground, out of sight unless someone knows it's there and actually searches for it, and wanders back towards the face of the tunnel. She's a bit less considerate of Val than Aureus was, using her shield to slightly move the elf to the side so she half-orc can walk past her and look into the tunnel. She waits patiently for her eyes to adjust and her dark vision to kick in, and scans the tunnel ceiling as carefully as she studies the walls and floor.

"Huh. You and that lucky gambler are going to need torches once we get in there." She looks down at the tunnel floor, notices the steaming puddles of liquid that look similar to the one Val is inspecting, and glances back at the red-haired elf. "Any idea what that is and why it's smoking?"

Perception roll for the tunnel scrutiny: [roll0]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-02, 01:44 AM
The children immediately follow after the two adventurers into the cave looking scared. Their eyes dart around the shadows and they stand closely to each other.
"Quietly!" They whisper to Theren "dangers could lurk in every corner..."
As he emerges through the steam, Theren can easily make out what the human was unable to see. It's a large cave with a number of crags and rocks. And in the middle of the room, collared and leashed to a stake in the ground, is a large rat. Though it is admittedly an unusual size for a rodent, Theren notes it's no larger than a dog and no more threat than one either.
It's faces Aureus in a defensive stance staring at him with it's black eyes, baring it's large incisors, whipping it's snake-like tale back and forth, and hissing slightly at him.
The children come through the steam behind him. "Save us, sir knight! The fangs! The claws!" shouts the young man.
Julie falls to the dirt ground and rolls around a bit "If only there was a brave adventurer to rescue us from this terrible plight!" She cries "Oh, the horror!"
The young man starts snorting in laughter.

Majin
2017-07-02, 12:52 PM
"A giant vermin appears to be standing right there", Theren says and points at the rat. "Seems to be leashed, fortunately. Perhaps it belongs to some other resident of this cave"

Theren looks at the children coolly. "I take it this is not the beast that took your progenitor, though I can scarcely understand the humor in this situation. Or is this what you brought us here for, to get a laugh?"

scalyfreak
2017-07-02, 02:41 PM
Oona looks at the rat for a very long moment, noticing the beady black eyes, the black fur, and the tail covered in scales, and says nothing. She simply takes a deep breath, then another deep breath... and turns around, grabs the laughing young man by the front of his shirt, and slams him against the nearest wall, hard enough for the sound of the impact to echo around them. As the echo fades she leans closer, using her considerable weight to press the boy harder against the rock wall, and growls as only a half-orc who was just made to look stupid, can growl.

"I'll take my payment now. And that money better be more real than your father was."

Intimidation roll! [roll0]

AssaultMage
2017-07-02, 10:57 PM
Aureus sheathes his sword and walks carefully to Oona, laying a hand calmly on her shoulder. "We will worry about compensation after we have gotten to the bottom of this affair,
I assure you. Now please, if you will, let the boy go." He eyes the boy from his helmet and draws himself up to his full height, adding a bit more power to his voice. "EXPLAIN." The word echoes off the cavern walls almost as loudly as the sound of the boy slamming into them.

Aureus uses Command on the boy. Hopefully that'll work better.

scalyfreak
2017-07-02, 11:06 PM
Aureus sheathes his sword and walks carefully to Oona, laying a hand calmly on her shoulder. "We will worry about compensation after we have gotten to the bottom of this affair,
I assure you. Now please, if you will, let the boy go."

Oona's free hand is halfway towards the nearest hand axe before she realizes who the hand on her shoulder belongs to. Nodding, she opens her hand, allowing the boy to drop to the floor in front of them, and takes a couple of steps back.

Desril
2017-07-03, 08:19 AM
Val'eryn, playing the good guard to Oona's bad and Aureus' angry, strolls over to the boy and whispers seductively into his ear that it'd be much better for him to come clean, and if he told the truth now she'd give him a reward without qualifying what exactly that meant but something in her tone made it fairly obvious, "But if I find out you're lying to us," she continues while glancing toward Oona, "I'll leave you in this cave with the ugly one, and you wouldn't want that, would you?"

Hoping I can give him Disadvantage on the save against command, otherwise Persuasion [roll0]

JbeJ275
2017-07-03, 08:23 AM
Mark leans back across at the wall across the cavern from the children with a look halfway between anger and something akin to disappointment.

scalyfreak
2017-07-07, 02:09 AM
While the half-orc's angry expression remains firmly in place (it's easier to be perceived as the mean one if you glare), she makes a pleasantly surprised mental note that the elf is both smarter and more useful than she initially appeared. Having learned early on during her militia years that it doesn't matter who's on your team, the job still needs to be done, Oona glares at the young man once more for good measure, and keeps her mouth shut. Between Val's threats and promises, not to mention whatever Aureus just did that seemed like a spell, they are bound to have answers soon.

However, waiting can be boring, so Oona waders over towards the leashed rat. She stops a few feet away, and slowly sinks to one knee, keeping a respectful distance to the animal, and begins to mumble to it in what sounds a lot like orcish. A soft and kind of friendly form of orcish... possibly what the language sounds like when not used for shouting insults. While mumbling she slowly reaches into her belt pouch and pulls out a strip of beef jerky. Her movements calm and unhurried, she begins to pull the jerky into pieces that she gently tosses to the rat, making sure they land where the big rodent can reach them easily.

As she feeds the rat beef jerky and continues talking softly to it, Oona studies the rat's neck where the collar touches, looking for chafing or other signs of daily wear.

"Hello, little black-fur. Are you trapped here? Where you in on the lie too? Maybe you're their pet and they do this with you every week. If you're trapped here I'll help you. You just need to let me get close to I can get rid of the collar for you."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-08, 05:58 AM
The young man and Julie continue snickering though Oona's tirade. "Honest ma'am, now that I'm thinking about it,
I'm pretty sure it ate my mother too!" the girl spurts out between laughs.
"Here the boy tosses the bag of gold onto the floor, coughing a little from laughing with a hand on his throat You've earned this reward for your heroic efforts! Just make sure it can never kill again!"

He is cut off by the paladin.

With disadvantage from Val
[roll0]
[roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-08, 06:09 AM
"My brother and I are bored and thought we'd play a joke on you for fun. We caught that ugly rat in the woods." the young man responds immediately. He suddenly looks confused - surprised the words came out of his own mouth. The girl stops laughing and stares at him, equally surprised.

Oona notices from her somewhat distant position that the rat seems wild - not evil but not a pet either. It's been wearing this "collar" for a few days at least but probably not longer.

Majin
2017-07-09, 03:42 PM
"Hmm. Is that so", Theren says calmly, running a hand through his beard. The younger child especially had acted oddly earlier. Perhaps it was indeed time to force out the truth.

Theren points his wand at the children. "You. You aren't what you seem, are you? Little girl, or Julie, was it? I noticed earlier you were rather interested in miss Val'eren here earlier. I think you look a little too young for that. I Suggest you explain who you really are". He makes a quick motion with the wand, pointing at the girl.

Cast Suggestion (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Suggestion) on the young girl. Save DC 14

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-13, 05:21 AM
The large rat snatches the food it can reach, snarls, and retreats back as far as it can get.

Julie seems to consider her situation and reluctantly begins to explain. "My brother and I... well we just thought this would be funny. And you're getting paid! This is easy money for you so... you're WELCOME." She looks at her brother and seems to be trying to resist explaining further. "I'll tell you the truth but you have to be nice to us because we're kids and you could get in big trouble if you hurt us! Our... our father is Sir Boni. He's a scientist here not a dirt farmer-" she snorts at the thought of their previous joke and then composes herself. "And my name isn't actually Julia it's-"
But at this moment, the young man cups his hand over the air above "Julia's" head and her voice becomes too muffled to understand. "Don't tell them THAT part!"

scalyfreak
2017-07-14, 01:25 AM
Reasoning that the rat must be frightened as well as hungry, even more so because it is stuck, Oona makes no effort to approach the leashed animal. She stops her mumbling as soon as the kids start talking, and listens to what they have to say, as she continues to gently toss beef jerky to the rat.

She does shift her weight around until she ends up resting on one knee, with half turned towards the rest of the group. Her shield slides down to settle comfortably on her left arm in case she needs to use it. And another strip of beef jerky lands right in front of the rat.

Majin
2017-07-17, 03:13 AM
Theren continues to look coolly at the children. "Hmh. The money is not my concern. You believe you can do whatever you want, just because you have money? Such arrogance. Perhaps we should just take you to your father. If he has any sense, he'll switch your hides raw".

"And why would you not tell us your real name? What does it matter at this point?"

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-17, 09:14 AM
"Exactly." The young man says quickly. "It doesn't matter now so who even cares." Julie nods in agreement and he drops his hand from above her head. "Well anyway you should probably take us to our father now... He'll whip our hides for sure. Pretty terrible beating for both of us waiting at home. We definitely learned our lesson from all this. Yep were much wiser from this experience. I really feel like I've grown today, don't you?"

JbeJ275
2017-07-18, 10:33 AM
Mark addresses the other adventurers

OK, guys I get that these guys took the piss, but they tricked us fair and square. And hey, we got paid without anything trying to kill us, that was lucky. Shall we head back to town.

Desril
2017-07-18, 08:20 PM
Turning away from the children when they admit their lie, Val rolls her eyes and sighs as she waves a hand and dismisses the cloak of shadows shielding her form. "I was hoping for something exciting to happen, staying in town would've been better than going on this rat chase," she complains to the air before turning back toward Mark as he suggests just heading back. "We probably should be on our way...but it wouldn't do to let these two get away with crying wolf and not being punished, would it? We should make sure they learn their lesson, I think."

The question is...how?

scalyfreak
2017-07-18, 09:57 PM
Oona remains by the rat, slowly easing her way around into a sort of starting position, while donning a leather glove on her left hand. "They haven't actually paid us yet," she reminds her new allies, her eyes still on the rat. Having thus made her contribution to the conversation she equally slowly draws her dagger, and then lunges for the animal... and makes an attempt to grab the large rodent and pin it to the ground for a few moments, while she slices the collar open with the dagger.

Athletics check, on the assumption this counts as a grappling attempt: [roll0]

AssaultMage
2017-07-19, 03:53 PM
Aureus picks up the bag of coin the boy dropped when Oona pinned him and inspects it. Very wearily, he looks at the other adventurers and says, "This is beginning to try my patience. And I assume there is more pressing work to be done besides hang around this cave with these little miscreants."

Majin
2017-07-20, 04:41 PM
"We probably should be on our way...but it wouldn't do to let these two get away with crying wolf and not being punished, would it? We should make sure they learn their lesson, I think."

"Perhaps it would be fitting to do these kids what they did to the animal..." Theren says. "Although perhaps that would take too much time. Sir Aureus does have a point. These two have taken wasted enough of our time."

"However did you two manage to chain that rat? It doesn't exactly seem friendly". Perhaps Theren was just imagining things, but these kids had acted oddly. It just kept bothering him.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-20, 06:13 PM
The rat scampers away, taking a bit of jerky with it for the road, and disappears into a crack in the cave wall.
Aureus opens the bag and is immediately attacked by something small coming out of it! Except... no. It was hard to distinguish in the darkness but there's nothing alive in there at all. Aureus reaches in and feels a small metal contraption in the bag that was bound up with a length of rubber. It was rigged to spin and vibrate when the bag was opened. Just another idiotic prank. Beneath the "trap" lies 50 platinum. A hefty sum indeed.
The children start laughing but quickly turn that into a cough.
They listen to Val and Theren and roll their eyes. "Why are you guys even pretending? We all know you're good people. You aren't going to hurt us. You couldn't." Julie says.
"And catching that rat was easy. We just set up a trap - duh." The young man adds. "Although it did give Jam- I mean Julie a pretty big scratch on the face." He punches her genially on the shoulder. "Bested by a rat! Now come on, just take us to our dad so we can get out just comeuppance for our reckless actions."
They begin stumbling slowly and blindly towards the cave entrance.

scalyfreak
2017-07-20, 07:48 PM
Oona actually smiles a little as the rat gets away, and sheaths her dagger. As the listens to the boy-who-she's-convinced-isn't-a-boy, the smile slowly widens to a grin. A nasty, brutal, vindictive grin that turns into an ugly laugh.

"Yeah. They are good people."

With full darkvision and long legs, it takes only a moment and a couple of long strides for the half-orc to catch up to the two children. One large hand sweeps the girl out of the way, while the other picks up the boy by the back of his shirt and unceremoniously slams him into the wall again, face first this time. Her other hand reaches up and wraps around his neck, squeezing hard enough to completely cut off both air and blood flow.

"What are you? And don't give me that human child bull****." As she speaks, the hand around the boy's neck squeezes harder, heedless of the fact that it's hard for anyone to speak when they can't breathe. Oona doesn't seem to care very much about that though, and neither words, tears, or interference from anyone else, is going to loosen her grip.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-21, 06:12 PM
As Oona strides towards the children, she sees that look of fear that was missing from their faces back at Dame's. When she roughly pushes Julie aside, her arm makes contact with something before she hits her apparent body. The girl goes flying and those with dark vision see a strange sight. The "girl" quickly changes into a young man (one who looks almost exactly like the other young man) and a plain leather cap goes rolling off his head into ground beside him.

Oona grabs the first young man and brings his face close to her own. She can't help but notice at this distance a sort of dark powder falling from his head onto her hand and something that goes all the way around his nose. A faint scar perhaps?

"Wait stop" former Julie shouts. Stop I'll tell you! He really is my brother, he is. We're twin brothers. He's Jacob and I'm James. This was all a prank - promise. We just didn't want the people at Dame's to recognize us and spoil the joke.
Look at his nose! He's wearing a fake one and he's got coal in his hair but other than that we're identical. We really are just kids. Don't kill him!
Look, look at this hat - it lets me disguise myself. There's no other magic. There's no evil. Please don't kill him, please!"

Jacob can only gasp and claw at Oona's hand.

At last, everything about these childrens' story lines up.

scalyfreak
2017-07-21, 08:58 PM
Oona turns her head to look at the little girl that turned into a boy, ignores the feeble attempts Jacob makes to claw at her hand and wrist, and frowns. But she does listen, and after a moment or so she turns her attention back towards Jacob long enough to grab his fake nose and yank it off. After she has her trophy she simply opens her hand, just she did earlier, and allows the boy to crumple to the ground, turning her back on him without hesitation.

She slowly walks over to James, grabs his hand, and presses the fake nose into it. "You should be more careful with your pranks. Next time you might accidentally play it on someone who gets angry and tries to hurt you." She closes the boy's fingers around the fake nose, making a point of hurting his fingers as she does, and heads towards the tunnel entrance. Without stumbling blindly, of course.

By the time the rest of the group leaves the tunnel, Oona is standing off to the side of the entrance, inspecting her glaive closely for any signs of damage from being semi-buried in the under-growth for almost a full half hour. To all outward appearances, she's perfectly calm again.

AssaultMage
2017-07-21, 10:02 PM
Aureus shakes his head at the racket the half-orc has made, smiling behind his great helm despite himself, and begins to pick his way to the entrance of the cave, trying his best to see in the dark. The purse remains firmly in his gauntleted hand until he emerges into the daylight.

Glancing about the area, he shoots a reproachful glance at Oona. "While I doubt the degree of roughness was truly warranted, I will grudgingly admit that I am grateful for the clarity it has lent the situation." He looks inside the coinpurse once more to verify its contents. "Well, either way, I suppose that before we part ways it is time to divide the 'spoils' of our adventure."

He sighs, regarding the two moping boys, and then adds after a moment, "And while I understand that not all of you abide by the same code I do, receipt of payment means that I am duty-bound to see these two... charlatans... safely back to whatever guardian they possess. Those who wish to join me may, but for those intent on seeking better fortune elsewhere, I'm sure we can come to an amicable agreement."

scalyfreak
2017-07-21, 10:47 PM
Oona blinks at the paladin's words and looks a little uncomfortable for a moment. "I didn't really think they were just kids..." she mutters, for a few moments very intent on inspecting the long handle of the glaive. Feeling more than a bit awkward she desperately searches for a change of topic and seizes on the coin purse.

"How much payment did they put in there? And where did they get it from?"

Majin
2017-07-22, 05:09 AM
Theren just watches Oona interrogate the kids, and shakes his head when they finally confess. "This has all been rather foolish, but I did promise to assist you in this matter, Sir Amberfield. No reason to leave things half-done. I hope they did learn some lesson today at least."

Theren looks at the boys. "So, where does your father live? I think we should exchange a few choice words with him. I presume you were telling the truth about him earlier."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-23, 09:41 AM
James helps his twin to his feet then leads him outside. Then James (the child formally known as Julie) comes back into the cave. First, he grabs his hat and then walks up through the darkness to Val's side. "My lady..." he gestures grandly to the cave entrance. Jacob, meanwhile, is still grasping his throat uncomfortably.

"The money is from our father. We get an allowance just like all kids." He points over his shoulder "that direction is the way to father's house.

Oona notices as she recovers and inspects her glaive, that it has been moved and rehidden since she left it outside the cave. The weapon itself seems unaltered but the foliage surrounding it has certainly been moved.

scalyfreak
2017-07-23, 11:37 AM
After carefully verifying that nothing about the glaive has been damaged in any way, including the blade's thin edge, Oona sets it down next to her, gripping the long shaft in that casual ready-for-anything way she was doing earlier.

"Someone's been here. This wasn't where I left it." She doesn't bother lowering her voice, and as soon as the twin boys are close enough the glaive can reach them if she so chooses, the half-orc turns towards them with a glare that suggests that the choking might start again at any moment. "What do you know about this? Who else is here?"

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-23, 06:35 PM
"What? No." Jacob replies, confused. "Maybe it's Dad? James!" he calls back into the cave "did you tell dad where we were going?"

"No, I didn't think he'd care" the reply comes back.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-24, 06:26 PM
There's a tense moment but it passes as nothing happens. The twins give directions to their father's house. None of you know much about the area but they say its a relatively easy trip. It is over a full days journey, however, so you will have to stop and sleep for the night on the way.

Most of the journey can be made on a road clear enough for the mule and cart. The twins pile in and wait for the journey to start. You pass more steam coming from the ground as you wind through the greener-than-green forests, mountains, and beautiful mountain streams. It's hard to imagine much violent happening here. You also see a number of deer, some wild goats, and a lone coyote along the side of the road. They don't pay much attention to you.

James passes the time by putting on his hat and "turning into" each member of the group (including his brother) in succession and imitating their voices. He's very good at this. The boys laugh and high five for each one.

If there's anything you'd like to do before leaving on the trip or during the trip, just add it. If you'd like to respond to James' imitation of you, let me know in OOC chat and I'll write out what he says for you specifically (because I don't want to write out all the characters imitations if no one cares).

JbeJ275
2017-07-24, 06:31 PM
When James turn ps into mark, mark will invoke duplicity. He then caries to do a three person high five.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-25, 08:58 AM
First, James turns into the stalwart paladin, complete with clanking armor, a regal up-turned-nose expression, and holy symbol proudly displayed. Jacob laughs and playfully shoulders his twin. His arm glides effortlessly through the illusion of the armor.
"Verily, fellows, I say unto you, we shall fulfill our vows of honorable honor! My god and master Lord Fart has declared it thusly!
Our righteous fury and whirling blades will smote the fiends of hell and bleach throughout the black ichor of their hearts..."
He crosses his arms self importantly and gives sneers at no one in particular.
"Nice! Now do the orc!" Jacob encourages.
Aureus' features oddly, grotesquely, morph into that of Oona's.
"Quiet boy." Fake Oona looks at Jacob laughing. "No more happiness. I... feel a strange pain in my fingers... like I need to... strangle an adolescent!" Jacob pretends to cower while James reaches out his illusion arms towards his brother's throat. Then he looks over at Oona and waggles his eyebrows.
"You got the teeth wrong." Real Oona mutters after a long moment of intimidation.
"Oooohhhh!" Jacob shouts in appreciation "She TOLD you." He goes to high five Oona.
Fake Oona's feature's start to morph into Mark's.
Before he's able to open his mouth to imitate the cleric, Mark creates a duplicate of himself and initiates a 3 way high five with all of himself.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-26, 05:43 AM
James morphs from Mark into the lithe and radiant sun elf, stretching and arching in comically seductive ways. The new Val turns dramatically towards Oona. "Let's play a game, you and I" the new Val coos, using far more tongue movements than are necessary to form words "It's called Strip and Compliment Val. I'll go first..." Jacob laughs heartily beside his brother.

But his laugh dies slowly as he happens to catch a glance of the road up ahead. A rather large tree has fallen across the road. To the right side of the road, a steep slope sweeps downward. To the left side of the road, a dense forested area. The tree will have to be removed before the cart can proceed down the path.

scalyfreak
2017-07-26, 07:49 AM
Oona stops as soon as she sees the three, and begins to scan the dense forest closely, searching for signs of people. She leaves examination of the tree to others, assuming the worst, and wastes no time getting her weapon ready for whatever, or whoever, tipped a tree across the road in such a convenient ambush spot.

Desril
2017-07-27, 03:06 AM
Val doesn't waste the opportunity. Seeing James morph into her, she smirks at his idea of a game, "Oh? Well then," she says, while sliding over to lean against herself, tracing a finger up her double's leg, "Why don't we play a little, and see if I think you're good enough to get a reward? After all...I've already done the stripping, and nothing's stopping you."

As she says it the tree blocking the road comes into view, but the elf pays it little attention. It's not as if she was in a hurry, the others could take care of the tree, and she was bored. Playing with the twins could be interesting, and maybe, she thinks deviously, she could get the one brother to mistake her double for the real version. The reaction then would be priceless...A shame she didn't have the magics necessary to fool Mark as well.

Val is an ******* :smalltongue:

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-27, 09:16 AM
As the real Sun Elf traces her finger up the young man's leg, the party can easily see him getting more nervous. However, in his current disguise, the party actually perceives it as a dressed Val getting more nervous - it's a strangely unsettling sight as no one can imagine Val looking uncomfortable at the hint of sex.
"I... nothing's stopping me-" His voice breaks comically and he looks down in embarrassment. Jacob, who has always seemed like the braver of the two, reaches over to his brother's head, snatches the leather cap off his head, and puts it on his own head. James transforms back into himself and Jacob morphs into a version of Val wearing the merest implication of clothing.
"If I remember correctly, the name of the game was Compliment Val..." Jacob intones, sounding very pleased with himself "So go ahead." He reaches out and tucks a bit of hair behind the real Val's ear. Though Val sees a copy of her own hand, she feels the hand of a boy.

JbeJ275
2017-07-27, 10:02 AM
Looking wistfully at the action going on beside him, mark has his duplicate run out in front of the log, swing if there is anyone to give a response, he freezes stock still as he does this like an uncommanded illusion might.

Majin
2017-07-27, 02:47 PM
Theren just mutters to himself something about "...using magic frivolously", and shakes his head. Perhaps getting embarrassed by Val could be a start of the kids' punishment. Wherever had they gotten such a magic item?

Theren mostly concentrates on driving the mule, and keeping his eyes on the road ahead. There seemed to be a tree lying on the road. Either there had been a storm, or someone wanted to set up an ambush for unwary travelers.

Theren casts a spell to help himself focus, and tries to spot if anyone is hiding nearby.

Perception: [roll0] + Guidance: [roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-27, 06:21 PM
As Oona prepares her weapon, and Theren scans the trees, Mark's duplicate moves out to the tree. It's pretty realistic looking until three arrows sail right through his illusory torso.

Everyone roll initiative. Oona at advantage.
Jacob at disadvantage [roll0] [roll1]
James at disadvantage [roll2] [roll3]

Theren sees two orcs in the woods. One is up in a tree shooting arrows, one is lying flat on the ground with a crossbow. When the crossbow wielding orc sees that Mark is an illusion, she jumps to her feet and starts running towards the cart. Orcs' initiative at advantage [roll4] [roll5]

AssaultMage
2017-07-28, 02:26 PM
Aureus, who has been leading the procession along the trail, preferring the company of the sober and intelligent Theren to the boisterous and chaotic murmurings of the party members in the cart. He noticeably stiffens at the boy's impression, and is trying his best to avoid becoming annoyed with his more colorful companions when he spots the tree. He calls a halt, mentally applauding Mark's decision to send his duplicate ahead. Carefully he unslings his shield from its strap, and places a wary hand on his sword's hilt. He is only slightly surprised when the arrows flash through the double's torso, and swings his shield into a defensive posture.

Aureus rolls for initiative: [roll0]

JbeJ275
2017-07-29, 11:16 AM
You f***s! You killed me!

With a final salute to his fading duplicate, Mark conjures a longsword near the orcs, fires a bolt from his crossbow and ducks for cover behind the cart.

Spiritual Weaopon Attack: [roll0]
SW Damage [roll1]

Crossbow Attack [roll2]
CB Damage: [roll3]

Desril
2017-07-29, 11:26 AM
Val
HP 21
AC 13

Seeing her companions come under fire, Val stops teasing the boys and stands up in the cart, looking for the enemy. A simple pair of orcs weren't worth wasting a lot of power or effort on, however, nor was there a point in reactivating her shadowy protection from this distance. Instead, she simply held her hand aloft and fired a bolt of arcane energy toward the most clearly visible opponent.

No map, so not sure if I have a clear line of shot to anything. Hitting the orc with the least amount of cover with a simple eldrtich blast [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 05:50 PM
The moment an arrow comes flying towards and through Mark's magical double, Oona's grip on the glaive shifts and she goes into full attack mode. Remembering what Val and Mark said about blasting magic and shooting arrows, Oona stays away from the most obvious line of sight between the cart and the approaching orc, trying her best to give her allies at least one clear shot at the enemy as she charges in.

Glaive attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 05:59 PM
Additional critical damage: [roll0]
Half-orc bonus on critical hits: [roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-30, 01:05 AM
Using the teamwork and prowess of a trio of adventures who had known and fought with each other for years, Mark, Val, and Oona quickly dispatch the orc running towards the cart. As Oona deals the the killing blow to her, she notices two things. One, this orc is much bigger and stronger than Oona would expect and her armor seems much nicer than average. This is likely a leader of some sort they have killed. Two, on her armor, the symbol of Gruumsh is painted.
The group knows there are more enemies in the woods but so far only Theren has seen one of the others.
James ducks down below his seat in the cart. Jacob, still disguised as Val, jumps from the cart and runs up to where Oona finished off the orc. "What's going on?"

scalyfreak
2017-07-30, 01:21 AM
Oona makes note of the armor and physical characteristics of her fallen enemy, but does not dwell on either one for long, choosing instead to drop the glaive and get her shield and sword at the ready while she looks for the archer that killed Mark's magical mirror image earlier.

"What's going on is, you're getting yourself killed. There's an archer, and you're an easy target, you idiot."

OOC: Using this round's bonus action to get shield up. Sword comes out to play next round.

Majin
2017-07-31, 05:49 AM
Theren (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1231424), HP: 17/17 AC: 15, PPerception: 14

Theren jumps down from the wagon and draws his wand, pointing it at the remaining orc. "There's still one in the tree. I'll try to put it to sleep." Theren moves a few steps closer and quickly weaves a pattern in the air with the wand, and says "Somnus."

Cast Sleep (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Sleep) on the orc.

Sleep: [roll0]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-31, 08:28 AM
The orc drops sleeping from the tree like a rock, crumpling onto the ground like a doll.
Gravity damage [roll0]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-31, 08:30 AM
The party can see that he's barely alive and waking up

AssaultMage
2017-08-03, 07:44 PM
Aureus strides forwards towards the fallen orc and moves to finish him with his sword. He keeps his shield raised and ready for any other comers, and trusts Theren, the elf, and Mark to watch over him from afar. He knows Oona will be close by as well. Recognizing the need for strategy, he yells out, "Oona, defend the cart and the boys! Theren, Val, watch our backs! Mark, just...
chip in where you can!" The illusory duplicate was a good move. Hopefully the shifty cleric had more tricks up his sleeve.

Aureus: HP: 22/22 AC: 19 (shield ready)

Aureus rolls to attack the fallen Orc [roll0], with [roll1] damage. May have a bonus due to him having fallen?

AssaultMage
2017-08-06, 06:11 PM
(sorry for the delay again!)

Attack 2:[roll0] Damage: [roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-06, 06:25 PM
Aureus swings into the ground as the half dead orc rolls away. He jumps to his feet and launches an attack at the armored man in return.
Arrows begin flying out from the trees and the party notices the remaining archers responsible for them. 3 of them remain in the trees now. 2 come for the half orc who killed their leader and one for the unarmored sun elf beside her.

great axe on aureus [roll0] [roll1]
arrows on oona [roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5]
arrow on jacob [roll6][roll7]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-06, 06:30 PM
Jacob crumples lifeless on the ground. His hat rolls off and the illusion of Val disappears - leaving only his true form and an arrow through his neck.

scalyfreak
2017-08-07, 08:41 PM
Oona reflexively lifts her shield as she hears bow strings twang. Jacob falling beside her is ignored for now, as she keeps her shield at the ready and draws her sword. A quick glance tells her that following Aureus's order to defend the cart and people in it will leave him alone against four orcs, so she stays where she's at for now. And switches to orcish.

"You missed me! I killed your leader, and you're just hiding up there like cowards! Worthless dog ****s who can't do anything right!"

Oona slowly takes a few steps forward, placing her armored self and her shield in front of the fallen orc and teenager, and switches back to the common human tongue. "Mark, Val, bring them down!"

AC: 19
HP:28/28

JbeJ275
2017-08-08, 03:57 AM
Bit busy saving lives here Oona.

With that Mark dashes closer to Oona and casts Spare the dying on Jacob's body, with a backhand he gestures to the glowing longsword letting it fly 20ft towards the orc archers.

scalyfreak
2017-08-08, 07:11 AM
"That works too." Oona nods, her eyes never leaving the orcs in the trees, and shifts position again. Just a few steps this time, that keep her firmly in the line of fire between the orc archers and Mark. "Stay behind me. There's archers." There's a hint of a smirk in her voice, as if she finds it a bit humorous that a second un-armored member of their little group has run within reach of the deadly arrows.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-08, 08:11 AM
Oona hears an Orcish reply shouted back at her from the trees. "Give us one of your dead for Gruumsh, half-human! Then you can go!" The voice is harsh and completely lacking in empathy or tact.

scalyfreak
2017-08-08, 07:28 PM
"Come get him!" Oona shouts back with the same lack of tact, and language, as the archer in the tree. Her stance and the way she holds her sword make it more than clear that anyone who wants the corpse she and now Mark are guarding, needs to go through her first.

Holding my action until someone comes close enough to attack, at which point I'll do so, which will end my second turn.

Desril
2017-08-10, 02:00 PM
With nothing better to do, Val glares up toward the archers, moving to a better vantage point if necessary, and unleashes another barrage of arcane energy.

Not sure if I have line of sight to them, so moving closer to the archers if necessary to get a clear shot, then Eldritch Blast [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-10, 06:15 PM
Val watches as her arcane blast sails comically into a nearby tree.
James remains hidden in the cart.
Jacob is breathing now, though still remains unconscious.

AssaultMage
2017-08-11, 01:05 PM
Aureus neatly deflects the Orc's swing with his shield and presses the attack.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Majin
2017-08-11, 05:07 PM
It seemed they couldn't really comply with the orc's request, as tge Cleric, Mark, managed to stabilize the boy.

Theren moves behind the cart to get some cover, and fires two bolts of fire towards the archers.

Twin Firebolt, attack same archer as Val.

Attack: [roll0]

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-11, 07:16 PM
Aureus easily cleaves the head from the orc's shoulders. It thuds to the ground and rolls to his feet.
Theren lands both firebolts on the archer's chest. They burn a hole through the orc's armor and chest. He dies and slumps against the branch he was on.
Two orc archer's remain. "Gruumsh will have revenge!"
Seeing Theren duck behind the cart, they take aim at the paladin.

Attack against Aureus [roll0] [roll1]
Second attack [roll2] [roll3]

JbeJ275
2017-08-13, 04:53 AM
Mark rearms and refines his crossbow with the sword still drifting towards them

[roll0]

scalyfreak
2017-08-13, 09:56 PM
Oona watches the crossbow bolt fly, somehow without actually taking her eyes off the orc archers, and continues to stay where she is at. She occasionally glances over towards Aureus, in case additional orcs show up out of nowhere, and waits patiently.

Once more holding my actions until someone attacks.

Desril
2017-08-18, 10:35 PM
Val
HP 21
AC 13

Glaring, the naked elven woman fires another blast of arcane energy at the orcish archers. "Get down from there so I can kill you damnit!"

Let's try this again! (And sorry about the delay)
Eldritch Blast [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-24, 04:04 AM
Marks shot goes wide but val is able to target her opponent. The arcane power slams into the orcs chest. He staggers but is able to remain in the tree - alive but only just.

scalyfreak
2017-08-24, 08:11 AM
Oona's eyes narrow as Val's target just barely survives, and she begins to move forward, while sheathing her sword. Stopping just close enough to be within range, she sends one of her hand axes flying towards the only just alive orc.

After completing the throw, Oona moves back to her original position in front of Mark and Jacob, shield at the ready against arrows and any other threats.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-25, 06:58 AM
The Orc gives an almost comical scream of pain and drops dead out of the tree - axe lodged in his chest.
The twins remain in their positions. Both too scared or too unconscious to move.

Majin
2017-08-25, 01:49 PM
There was just one orc remaining. It should not be too much trouble to handle it. It likely couldn't flee, the only option for it now likely was to die. But it had decided to attack, and thus sealed its fate.

Theren waves his wand in a calm manner, and sends another bolt of fire towards the orcish archer.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-25, 06:19 PM
The bolt begins to veer away from it's intended target. But then, inextricably, seems to right itself midair - impacting on the last Orc and smoldering part of the branch he has set himself on.

AssaultMage
2017-08-26, 10:18 PM
"Come down and face me!" Aureus shouts to the reeling orc high in the tree. His voice is laden with the divine magic that grants words power. "Or will you pick at me from afar with your cowardly bow?" He takes a moment to steady himself from the glancing blow he has received. Something to attend to after the battle was over, no doubt.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-27, 01:13 AM
The loan Orc shouts back something very rude indeed in orcish and takes aim at the pesky paladin below him.

[roll0]
[roll1]

JbeJ275
2017-08-27, 03:19 AM
While the orc is focused on the paladin below him the glowing blade is finally in range, it is followed by a crossbow bolt screaming out from the wood

Spiritual Weapon
[roll0]
[roll1]

Crossbow
[roll2]
[roll3]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-27, 03:54 AM
With a righteous assault, the final Orc is killed. The surrounding forest becomes silent as if in rememberance of those fallen

JbeJ275
2017-08-27, 05:53 AM
Mark sheaths his weapons and turns back to the group,"So does anyone remember doing anything that might have p***ed those orcs off?

While he's saying this he tries to carry the slumbering boys wounded body back to the cart.

scalyfreak
2017-08-27, 11:53 AM
Oona sheaths her sword as well, briefly glancing towards the forest line before turning towards Mark. "The me and someone behind us killed, said they wanted dead bodies for Gruumsh. Could have been all this was." As she speaks she resettles her shield high on her arm and out of the way, and then reaches down and picks the unconscious boy's shape-shifting cap off the ground and tucks it under her belt. "Take his feet, I got the other end." Without waiting for a response, Oona slides her arms arms underneath Jacob's shoulders, adjusts her hands a bit to get as little blood on herself as possible, and then waits for Mark's signal before she lifts and starts moving back towards the cart. She lets the smaller human set the pace, thinking it would be rude not to.

After Jacob is settled in the cart and someone else is caring for his wound, Oona plans to head back for her weapons, and for a closer look at the armor her first opponent is wearing.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-28, 04:56 AM
Oona knows armor. And this is well made armor. It's also very clearly orcish: asymmetrical, ragged, engraved with the symbol of their god. But is an excellent breastplate nonetheless. If cleaned, it could be sold for a pretty penny. If not, it could be worn to great effect.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-28, 06:27 PM
James remains in the cart, crying quietly and holding his brothers unconscious form.

JbeJ275
2017-08-28, 07:23 PM
Mark looks more bemused than anything else as the James panics, Don't worry you silly s***, he'll be up and about in a few hours, my word on it.

scalyfreak
2017-08-28, 08:58 PM
Mark looks more bemused than anything else as the James panics, Don't worry you silly s***, he'll be up and about in a few hours, my word on it.

"Until the next time he does something stupid that nearly kills him," Oona replies, as casual about Jacob's potential death as she was about his father's, long before she knew the father wasn't in danger.

She gives Mark a nod, followed by one to the two who stayed behind by the cart. "Who wants a piece of armor?" She gestures towards the fallen orc, then starts walking towards it, retrieving her glaive on the way. She spends several careful moments removing the breastplate from the fallen orc, taking great care not to damage and leather straps or buckles.

Majin
2017-08-29, 12:38 PM
"Until the next time he does something stupid that nearly kills him," Oona replies, as casual about Jacob's potential death as she was about his father's, long before she knew the father wasn't in danger.

"Yes, I imagine neither of them will live to see old age, if they'll continue to act as foolishly as they have today. Perhaps they'll learn, but more likely not." Theren just waves his hand dismissively when Oona mentions the armor. Something like that would hinder him more than help.

"Now then, we all seem to be in one piece, more or less. Before we move on, would anyone care to assist me in giving these orcs some sort of quick burial?"

AssaultMage
2017-08-29, 08:10 PM
With a hand sparkling with golden healing magic pressed against his minor wound, Aureus surveys the area, looking for any more threats. Assuring himself that, for now, the narrow passage is safe, he eyes the armor that Oona indicates. "Not really in my style," he remarks, "I prefer something a bit heavier for the most part." He glances at the tree still blocking the road. "And it appears the party will either continue on foot, or have to hack our way through. In the interest of time, I think the former to be our better option. I don't want to be on the road come nightfall." He makes his way towards the cart, intent on checking in on the injured boy.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-30, 07:04 AM
James ignores the comments about him and his brother. He looks up at the knight and there seems to be a bit more age behind his eyes that wasn't there before.
"Can you fix him, sir?" He asks, nodding at the arrow still lodged in his brother. "I know he's alive. I can tell."

With a quick glance at the sky, the party can tell there are several hours before dusk. The orcs seem to have just recently moved the tree into the road. It may take a long time to move it or perhaps it could be easily moved - it's hard to tell without a closer look. The earth is loose in this area. There are a number of areas where bodies might be buried.

scalyfreak
2017-08-30, 08:59 PM
"And it appears the party will either continue on foot, or have to hack our way through. In the interest of time, I think the former to be our better option. I don't want to be on the road come nightfall." He makes his way towards the cart, intent on checking in on the injured boy.

Oona shakes her head in disagreement. "I'd rather not ask a merchant to abandon his cart. For all we know that's his livelihood. 'Sides, it's got all my stuff." She follows Aureus back to the cart where she carefully stacks the new breastplate with her other belongings. "I need to get my axe, then I'll get started on moving the tree."

On her way up to the treeline to retrieve her handaxe, Oona pick up her glaive, an easy sweep of one hand as she jogs past. As she gets closer to the fallen orc who has her hand axe in its chest, she slows down and studies the shadows underneath the trees carefully. After making sure it is safe, she reclaims her axe and wipes the blade clean before returning it to its holster. She keeps an eye on the forest and the glaive lifted until she's certain no one is there, then turns and heads back to the cart at a leisurely jog.

Back with the other she leans the glaive against he side of the cart, along with her shield, then heads over to take a closer look at the tree and see what she can do to start moving it while she waits for Aureus.

Desril
2017-08-31, 12:04 AM
Val

While the others started looting, Val stayed ready in case there were more orcs lying in wait, but eventually the naked elf lowered her guard with a breath. Fighting without armor was more exhilarating than she thought it'd be. "I'm not wearing anything stripped off an orc, thanks," she says to Oona before she goes to rummage through the corpses, "But their coin trades just as well as any."

She didn't feel like helping clear the road, and while she felt bad for the kid with an arrow in his chest, the healing arts weren't her forte. No, that was better left to someone who knew what they were doing...although the view of her bent over form could certainly provide a distraction to lessen the pain of both brothers as she loots the bodies for anything of value other than clothing or armor.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-08-31, 07:11 AM
Aureus examines the wound in the boys neck and realizes he has treated someone with this exact situation before. In a smooth and fluid movement, he removes the arrow, pours alcohol over the wound, and wraps it. It's very well done and is unlikely to scar. Jacob stirs at the application of alcohol and his brother looks relieved. "Thank you sir" he mumbles still looking down.
Then the armored man walks over to Oona, seeing her consider the fallen tree. Together they heft the tree out of the road as if it was made of feathers. It's quite a feat to observe from an onlookers perspective.
Val finds a number of items that she would prefer not to inspect closer based on their smell. However, she is also able to find coin - 25 gold worth. She also notices all of their armor is engraved with the same symbol on the breastplate: a triangular V shape that reminds Val of an eye. On the Orc who was put to sleep, she finds a note written in a language she's never seen before.
Theren is able to then bury the bodies without much trouble.

JbeJ275
2017-08-31, 07:17 AM
Mark attempts to recover his crossbow bolts before returning to the cart and putting his feet up.

So shall we be off then? It's still a fair way off the town and I'm bloody hungry.

Desril
2017-08-31, 11:47 PM
Val

Nodding her head at Mark, Val is clearly ready to be gone from here, but there's a smile playing at the corner of her lips. She didn't expect the day to be so interesting, even if it went a little sideways. "By the way, does anyone know what this mark means," she asks pointing out the strange symbol before returning to the cart.

She glances toward the injured Jacob and his worried brother when she gets there though, and pulls the injured one into a comforting hug, trying to cheer him up.

Majin
2017-09-01, 05:14 AM
"Hmm, let me take a look at it", Theren says to Val, and peers at the strange symbol.

Intelligence: [roll0] +Guidance [roll1] to find out something about the symbol.
Add 2 if Religion applies.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-01, 09:14 AM
http://monstromakes.com/dungeons%20and%20dragons/images/FantasyArt_New/TrapsAndItems_Small/Symbols/GruumshSymbol%20(2).jpg
It's hard to tell but it's probably the symbol of their chieftain or their god.

Majin
2017-09-02, 03:37 AM
"Hmm. No idea about the symbol, then again I haven't really studied orcish culture all that much", Theren says. "I'm ready to continue."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-02, 09:53 AM
The party continues down the winding road for hours of unfailingly beautiful scenery. The path gradually desends elevation and those with a good head for maps would feel that at least one mountain now stands between them and k'lyspel. The brothers direct the party to make a turn down a smaller path.

After a bumpy 30 minutes, the forest thins into a wide clearing with black rocks. A small tent stands near the middle and the form of a man stands beside it, staring at the ground before him.

Jacob perks up at the site of him. "Dad!"

scalyfreak
2017-09-02, 02:31 PM
Oona spends the rest of the journey walking by the cart, glaive resting casually on her shoulder, just as she did before. She keeps an eye on the group's surroundings, and keeps quiet. Keeping to herself, truth be told.

As they reach the clearing, the half-orc slows her stride and somehow managed to end up walking behind the rest of the group on the narrow path.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-03, 12:22 AM
The cart draws closer and the party is able to get a clearer view of the man who has, thus far, decided not to respond. A middle aged man, dressed in robes entirely too formal for the occasion. He bares a strong enough resembalance to the brothers that it is clear to an outside observer that they are related.

When the party is about 100 feet away, he holds up his hand in a stopping gesture to the party without looking up. One by one he puts down his fingers till only one remains - then none.

Immediately, lava erupts out of the ground before him, shooting straight up into the air maybe 30 feet, maybe 60, and slapping back down to the earth in a puddle. This continues for several seconds before dying off and miraculously, the molten rock spewing from the ground seems to veer away from the man even in the midst of it's wayward trajectory through the air.

After, as the group moves closer to the man once more (albeit more dubiously), he can be heard muttering to himself. "Exactly 276 hours since the last time... Such regularity. There must be a catalyst..."

James interrupts him "Dad we're back. These adventures brought us home".

"Oh course, of course, excellent" Sir Boni responds absently and begins scribbling down notes in a journal.

JbeJ275
2017-09-03, 05:32 AM
Mark looks around nervously, hoping the others would take the lead

That's a bit wierd right?

Majin
2017-09-03, 06:05 AM
Theren eyes the man staring on the ground. He opens his mouth, but shuts it when molten rock bursts from the ground. Theren watches the display in silence, and responds to Mark: "Indeed, most perturbatory."

Theren hops down from the cart and eyes the man scribbling on the notebook. Clearly he was researching this phenomenon. Hopefully it was restricted to that one spot. Theren clears his throat in attempt to gain the man's attention. "Sir Boni, I presume? As your son explained, we've brought your progeny back to you. And I would like to you to have some stern words with them about misusing magical items and tricking well-intentioned people. Perhaps think up some sort of punishment."

Theren looks at the ground where the lava had burst from. "Also, if I may ask, what exactly are you researching here? Should we be worried about lava bursting from other places?"

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-03, 09:06 AM
The man doesn't even trouble to lift his eyes from his paper as the elf speaks. He makes some polite but unconcerned sounds as Theren explains the situation and finishes off with a "whatever you think is best" at the suggestion of punishment.

However at the mention of research, Sir Boni's face lights up. He turns to Theren and makes eye contact for the first time. "A man of science, are you? I should have guessed! Look at the intelligence behind these sad eyes!

There's no danger here though. You needn't fear. We have another 276 hours! But uhh..." He furrows his brow and glances around "don't stand there, there, there, or over there."

He guestures at the locations with less exactitude than one would expect is necessary when dealing with lava explosions.

"I'm here researching! Researching all there is to be known about this strange land. And it's fauna! You wouldn't believe some of the things I've learned here."

As he speaks, the boys climb off the cart and into the tent - which is a bit surprising because it's large enough for perhaps one person at most. Boni takes no notice of them.

Majin
2017-09-03, 10:23 AM
Well, the man didn't seem to be very concerned with raising his children, but it wasn't Theren's duty either.

"I do like to read, but I wouldn't consider myself a scholar, exactly... What did you mean by 276 hours? What happens then? Something we should be concerned about?" Theren says, and makes a mental note of the spots Boni points at.

scalyfreak
2017-09-03, 01:16 PM
Oona continues to stay in the background, though not as far back now. It seems to her the children's father doesn't care enough about them to become upset that they're being returned to him by complete strangers who want the boys to be punished for something.

She makes a careful note of the vague areas Sir Boni points out, on the assumption each of them is a lava geyser. After a moment, she walks over to the mule and gently leads the animal and cart to the edge of the clearing, to a spot as far away from general areas Sir Boni was gesturing to, as she can get. Once in place, she rubs the mule's head lightly, and checks that its tack and harness are in order and not chafing anywhere, before she leaves it to graze.

As she makes her slow way back to the group, Oona remains silent, content to listen and observe for now. She glances at the tent occasionally, keeping an eye out in case the boys return.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-03, 06:44 PM
"You should be concerned if lava concerns you!" Boni gives a genial chuckle "no, you'll be fine if you stand well back. In 276 hours, the molten rock will burst forth from the ground again just as it did moments ago. Come-"

He makes a final note on his journal "fellow scholar, you must be tired from your trip! You must stay the night, have a meal! He glances over the rest of the party without really looking"you and your... bodyguards."

He starts toward the small tent.

Majin
2017-09-05, 09:11 AM
Theren nods his thanks to Oona for tending to the mule, and continues speaking with the odd scientist.

"Ah, you misunderstand me. Your children asked help from Sir Amberfield here" , Theren says and gives a courteous nod to Aureus. "I am merely a merchant, who got too interested in your children's wild story, and decided to accompany sir Amberfield."

"I'm afraid I do not make quite enough gold to hire a retinue like this", Theren says with a slight smile. "But I have traveled long enough not to turn down when one is offered, so I'll gladly accept your invitation and offer of meal. And before I forget all of my manners, my name is Theren Siannodel, at your service." Theren starts following Boni into the tent.

Suddenly he remembers rather important detail. "Perhaps I should have started with this, but we were just beset by orc raiders, not too far from here. You yourself do not seem to have any retinue with you, but I take it you haven't been bothered?" Perhaps the orcs were staying away from the flame geysers. Theren felt he himself could usually keep a cool head even in tense situations, but even he would think twice about going to somewhere where a pillar of flame sprouted from the ground. "We dealt with the group, but I'm not sure if there are more nearby."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-07, 06:05 AM
Boni nods in answer and repeats the bane to himself. "Theren." At the mention of orcs, he stops moving.

"You faced them? How many? How far? Quick, into the tent - we can discuss further..."

JbeJ275
2017-09-10, 10:06 AM
I don't suppose you've got any wine Mark asks the farther as he strides towards the tent.

scalyfreak
2017-09-10, 08:38 PM
Leaving the mule to graze, Oona likewise leaves it to the others to answer Sir Boni's questions. She is perfectly content to stay behind, where the absentminded stranger is be less likely to notice her, and in fact she gives every indication she intends to take up a spot in the shade outside the tent.

Before she does, she turns toward Aureus. "I'm thinking hour-long watches should work. I'll take the first." She nods towards the forest line behind them, assuming that the paladin has enough field experience to share her concerns regarding orc patrols.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-11, 06:25 AM
"We've got plenty of it! The good stuff and the bad."

As everyone but Oona files into the tiny tent, Boni reaches down to the ground. Flat on the rocks, there is a door. Though in the position of a trap door, it looks like the front door of a very expensive house. In fact it's large enough to take up most of the tent.

He flings it open and inside is a gorgeous grand entrance hall. But instead of looking at it from the top (as one would expect from the view point of a trap door), the room extends vertically down into the earth. The floor and ceiling go straight up-and-down like walls and even the extravagant chandelier extents bewilderingly horizontally into the room - seemingly ignorant of the rules of gravity.

Sir Boni lies flat on the ground, log rolls into the room, and continues walking on the floor straight down into the earth.

"Come, I'll show you the wine cellar!"

Desril
2017-09-11, 01:42 PM
Val honestly hadn't been paying much attention to the boys' father. He seemed to be an ordinary, boring human, perhaps with a bit of eccentricity to him, but without the means to make that any more meaningful than run of the mill crazy. Seeing the trap door into the magical mansion, however, makes the elf's eyes go wide as she saunters up to the man, impressed and swaying her hips. "You'll have to teach me how you made such a lovely home," she says, laying the charm on thick, "Tell me, is there some item which powers it, or is the magic all from you?"

Mordekainen's Magnificent Mansion?! :smalleek:

Persuasion for the naked elf to seduce the scientist! [roll0]

Majin
2017-09-13, 01:43 PM
"That might be a good idea. I'll take the second watch", Theren says to Oona.

Theren looks around the mansion, his eyebrows raised. "This is certainly impressive. My knowledge of arcane magic isn't very in-depth, but this must rather high level."

AssaultMage
2017-09-13, 05:38 PM
Aureus nods at Oona's suggestion and begins to compile a list of the watch. He gives himself the lion's share of the watch and mostly ensures that casters are given proper time to rest and recharge. And that certain members, who may not be as disposed to be trusted as others, do not end up guarding the party at vulnerable hours. He shoots a sidelong glance at the elf and the cleric, still not having made up his mind about them.

He follows the rest of the party into the mysterious tent-that-isn't-a-tent, head filling with questions about Sir Boni.

scalyfreak
2017-09-13, 11:52 PM
"That might be a good idea. I'll take the second watch", Theren says to Oona.

"I'll be by the cart."

The big half-orc gives Theren a nod, as well as brief acknowledgement to the others in the group, and strolls over towards the cart, where she checks that the brake is set. She leans her glaive against the side of the cart, and lays her shield and sword next to her other belongings in the back. After thoroughly stretching her shoulders and arms, for all the world looking like a bored mercenary on break, she takes a seat on the cart itself, and begins to clean the chest plate she found on a dead orc earlier.

Close observation might reveal that Oona's eyes frequently sweep the clearing, particularly in the direction they came from, and that the armor cleaning is done mostly by feel and not by visual inspection. It might also reveal how easy it is for her to reach the glaive from where she sits, and that she occasionally glances at the mule. Its sharp ears might detect an approaching intruder before she does, after all.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-15, 10:25 PM
"Why, your proportions are nearly perfect!" Sir Boni proclaims at Val's remark "You must let me take your measurements tonight" he adds without the slightest trace of innuendo.
"And yes I suppose this is quite high level magic... you need a keen mind to make a mansion every day out of nothing but thoughts I'll tell you that much!"

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-23, 02:03 AM
Oona dutifully remains outside during the commotion - keeping a watchful eye out for any sign of disturbance (or any lava blasts). After an hour or so, she hears some rustling through the treeline in a distant bush but then spots a hare hop out of said bush and munch peacefully on nearby grass. It's a slow watch but she's able to find time to take care of the mule.

Boni shuffles into his home. "There. I've created rooms for you. Should be easy to find on your own. Dinner when you return!" He turns his attention to Theren once more. Mark remains to listen to the strange scientist. "Those orcs certainly are inconvenient. It seems that every time I'm about to assess some significant thermal activity, they come out in droves through the woodland! Seem to avoid this dangerous landscape though... Just like my wife... Either of you married? I don't recommend it. Dangerous business, families." He snorts gruffly to himself "Even these cave orcs get along with each other better."

"Come, this way to the dining room." He shuffles his way through halls commenting on the design of various archways and windowpanes. The house is indeed beautiful but if a very slap-dash way. As if Boni had noticed certain elements of design he liked from various styles and periods of history and mixed them together in his own make-believe home.

Anyone walking through the house will be initially startled by a number of bland-looking spectral ghost floating around, dusting things unnecessarily, carrying boxes from one room to another. Upon reaching the dining room, it's easy to see these apparitions preparing dinner in the next room. Boni sits at the table followed by his sons and the four adventurers who came inside.

The meal is placed on the table in simply incomprehensible amounts -enough food to easily last everyone there a week. Mostly the meal consists of roasted sand lizard (about a meter long) on a spit with a sweet sauce and a dark, hearty bread. "Never eaten sand lizard before! It's a personal goal of mine to taste every animal in existence. So far I've found virtue in all of them but today might be the day!"

The ghost servants have also brought up a bottle of red wine for Mark, who has already begun to enjoy it thoroughly. As dinner continues, the conversation turns to Boni's magical prowess. "Yes, I suppose I've been a practitioner of the arcane for quite a number of years now... certainly more than I care to give a number to. I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that creating this home is quite a difficult spell to complete. Not something for a novice. And I have to create it every morning. It's just terrible for grey hair - look at this." He directs attention to his graying temples. "But now that I think on it, I have a rather impressive library here if you're interested. Currently I can think of two young slackers who are not but if you are... you're welcome to it."

The twins continue eating sullenly, only glancing up to (somewhat obviously) stare at Val.

Majin
2017-09-24, 04:02 PM
"Those orcs certainly are inconvenient. It seems that every time I'm about to assess some significant thermal activity, they come out in droves through the woodland! Seem to avoid this dangerous landscape though... Just like my wife... Either of you married? I don't recommend it. Dangerous business, families." He snorts gruffly to himself "Even these cave orcs get along with each other better."

"Oh no, not married. I'm a traveling merchant, so not much time for family," Theren responds to Boni. "Those orcs are a tad worrying.
I hope no attack comes this evening. We'll be keeping watch in any case." For some reason, it surprised Theren that Boni had a wife. He did have kids, but it wouldn't surprise Theren if it turned out they were result of some weird magical experiment.

Theren eyes the mansion. While the magic was impressive, the design was much less appealing. Theren suppresses the urge to comment on it for now, as that might seem rather rude. Perhaps he could drop some hints later during the dinner.

"Never eaten sand lizard before! It's a personal goal of mine to taste every animal in existence. So far I've found virtue in all of them but today might be the day!"

"Yes, I've heard lizards can be rather nutritious, though I've never had one. Not a something many inns serve. And I suppose exotic dishes are on thing that should be experienced before the final rest."

"Yes, I suppose I've been a practitioner of the arcane for quite a number of years now... certainly more than I care to give a number to. I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that creating this home is quite a difficult spell to complete. Not something for a novice. And I have to create it every morning. It's just terrible for grey hair - look at this." He directs attention to his graying temples. "But now that I think on it, I have a rather impressive library here if you're interested. Currently I can think of two young slackers who are not but if you are... you're welcome to it."

"Thank you for your generosity. Yes, I'm looking for something in smaller scale. I have some talent with arcane magic, though it is actually inherent in nature, rather than something I've studied. But I think it would be good thing to learn something different, expand my horizons, so to speak."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-26, 04:56 AM
"Oh no, not married. I'm a traveling merchant, so not much time for family," Theren responds to Boni. "Those orcs are a tad worrying.
I hope no attack comes this evening. We'll be keeping watch in any case."

"Nothing to worry about tonight unless you're outside. Nothing gets in here without my say so. No, if they're going to kill us it will be tomorrow morning at-"
He closes his eyes for a second and thinks "9:28. Nothing lasts forever, you know. Magic least of all." he guestures at the house around him.

[B]"Thank you for your generosity. Yes, I'm looking for something in smaller scale. I have some talent with arcane magic, though it is actually inherent in nature, rather than something I've studied. But I think it would be good thing to learn something different, expand my horizons, so to speak."

"Of course of course! You're a true scholar! You have that hunger to know more - to know everything! You must see my library. Come. Perhaps you can make something of my spell book."

He stands to leave. At that moment, Oona walks in: clean and comparatively nicely dressed. Aureus notices her and takes his cue to take over watch duties, nodding politely but stoically to her as he passes, glad to have an excuse to be out of the house. The twins notice Val and Mark standing to join the others in the library.

"Come find us when you're done." James says to her.

Oona and the twins are the only ones to remain in the dining room. It is an awkward dinner. Oona is relieved when she eats enough food to avoid starvation and immediately heads to her room.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-09-27, 05:05 AM
Aureus makes his way outside and passes a somewhat boring night devoid of any marauding orcs.

Val and Theren follow Boni to his library. It is indeed filled with seemingly ancient tomes detailing a wide variety of arcane practices. There are also a number of newer books which the two recognize to be of Boni's own creation. He pulls one such book out and sets it on a desk. Then he sets to work on the number of wine bottles the servants have brought up to the room - offering some to his guests.

"First things first. Madam I suspect your facial features mimic the proposed Golden Ratio.
I need to measure them." He sets to work scribbling notes in his book along the way. He gives an interested "hmm..." then closes the book and focuses on Theren once more.

"Let's get to work." He is able to provide Theren with a number of useful bits of information. He provides his spellbook and Theren is able to make out some of the basic spells. It's quite a task as this is not his primary occupation but the spells Alarm, Comprehend Languages, and Unseen Servant are comprehensible. He is also able to easily acquire the material components for the Find Familiar ritual from Boni who is happy to help a fellow "scholar".

JbeJ275
2017-09-27, 05:17 AM
As Mark plays while he is a little tipsy he still shows a talent for guessing the moves of others and telling Whois ready to bluff. However it quickly comes to light that he has learnt the rules differently from all others, and that certain players among the bucklands have entirely different rules, as of such he pretty much spends half the night learning the actual proper rules of the game.

Majin
2017-09-28, 03:31 PM
Theren spends the evening studying Boni's scrolls. These spells would add some much needed utility to his spellcasting. And it feels like the new knowledge allows him to understand his own magical talents better as well.

The ritual to summon a familiar was rather interesting, but Theren would have to perform it tomorrow. He'd rather spend his time studying other spells for now.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-01, 04:05 AM
Mark finds himself improving quicker than he expected (probably because the twins are helping him) and credits this to his wine.

Val excuses herself and goes to look for the twins and Mark. She finds finds them in the recently cleaned dining room drinking and play Gods Willing. She sits down to play with them (noticing in the process that Mark is playing better than before) and it doesn’t take long to propose a bet to keep the game interesting. She suggest that if she loses, Jacob and James will win a threesome with her but if she wins, she will win a threesome with them...

“But that’s basically the same thing...” James concludes before Jacob elbows him and accepts the bet.

Eventually Theren takes Aureus’ place at watch and enjoys the remainder of the peaceful night.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-01, 06:38 PM
In the morning there is breakfast (eggs, bread, and the meat of a small mole like creature). Abruptly, Boni stands and announces that it is time to go outside. He wipes his mouth with a napkin and walks out.

scalyfreak
2017-10-01, 08:13 PM
For someone who isn't a morning person, Oona is an unusually early riser. She is up and about about half an hour before the last watch ends, dressing for the road and clearing her belongings out of the guest room she slept in. That done, she quietly leaves, heading back out to the cart in the clearing.

Theren gets a good morning in the form of a quiet nod, as Oona begins stowing her things in the back of the cart once again. She works methodically and without rushing, pausing off and on to glance at the forest line. After she has confirmed her bundle is secure enough for the journey, she makes herself comfortable sitting against the edge of the cart.

"I can take over here if you want to go inside and eat."

Majin
2017-10-02, 02:45 PM
Fortunately, the night is quiet. Theren passes his watch by casting his newly learned abjuration several times, and brushing the mule.

Theren nods at Oona."Thank you.
It was quiet. Doesn't look like anything came after us."

Theren goes back inside the tent-mansion and eats breakfast, before Boni rushes everyone out. Perhaps the spell to create the mansion was expiring.

"No sign of the orcs. I suppose we should inform the proper authorities once we reach a town or a city. Less experienced travelers could be in danger here"

Not Boni though. A wizard this powerful should be able to fend off a few bandits.

JbeJ275
2017-10-02, 02:48 PM
Mark comes through thoroughly hungover, sushing at anyone who even moves, when that fails he cradles his head in his hands and groans while drinking the water.

Desril
2017-10-04, 12:39 AM
Val reappears from the twins' room, dressed again for the first time in the better part of a day, and quickly sets down to enjoy the breakfast, getting not nearly enough to be satisfied before the announcement that it was time to leave. With a sigh, she gets up and heads for the door, glancing toward the others as she steps outside. "So, what are the rest of you planning to do today? Going back to town?"

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-05, 04:00 AM
As Oona sits on the cart, waiting for her companions to join after breakfast, she notices some movement from the distant treeline. Squinting in the distance, she recognizes the vague shapes: orcs. Armored similarly as the ones she encountered before. It's hard to get an exact estimate on the numbers as they are still a few hundred feet out but there are at least a dozen. Behind them, she spots a much larger silhouette and can hardly begin to guess as to what it might represent. They are spreading out and moving towards the "encampment".

scalyfreak
2017-10-05, 07:58 AM
Oona casts a regretful glance at the mule, for just a moment, then straightens up and strolls towards the tent opening and into small structure. Once inside she abandons all pretense of having no idea they are about to be surrounded, and runs towards the breakfast room as fast as her legs can carry her.

"ORCS ARE COMING!"

She stops as she sees the small group leave the breakfast room for the exit, and lowers her voice now that she can see the people she's talking to. "At least a dozen orcs, and something much bigger is with them. We're about to the surrounded." She looks over at Boni. "Can we hole up in here with the cart and mule? A doorway is easier to defend than a wood clearing."

While not noticeably frightened, Oona definitely seems to be in a hurry, and there is a tension about her that suggests there's little time to spare before the small orc army arrives.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-06, 05:02 AM
"Ahh yes. They are surprisingly punctual for orcs." He glances at a metal device he pulls out from his robes. "3 minutes early - would you look at that. Certainly there are some in this room who could benefit from their practices..." He glances now at his offspring.

"Unfortunately, as I was telling young Theren here, the spell creating my home will expire. It will take some time to recast it." He continues on his way out the door with the twins following. He turns back to the room. By all means, you may remain here if you choose. But I find the ejection process as the spell dies most unpleasant. I prefer to travel by foot when possible. Good for the health."

JbeJ275
2017-10-06, 05:07 AM
Rubbing his eye with one hand and grasping the holy symbol in his jacket with the other Mark gets up, gives off a load groan and begins to travel towards the exit.

AssaultMage
2017-10-06, 09:43 AM
Aureus immediately reaches for his shield and helmet, which were resting nearby, and leaves the tent through the entrance.
Though his hand rests ready on his sword, he waits before drawing and readying. It appears the eccentric mage has a plan, or at the very least is not too worried about the orcs rushing towards the small camp. Perhaps this bodes well.

Majin
2017-10-06, 01:28 PM
To Val, Theren responds. "I do not have a plan, exactly. I'll go where fate takes me. I don't think-" Theren pauses and looks at Oona who shouts about the approaching orcs. "Today it seems to be another battle with orcs."

"That is rather alarming. I believe exiting is a wise plan." Theren still takes out his wand and casts a protective charm over himself. "Sir Boni, your phrasing suggests you don't always travel by foot. Do you then happen to have access to some useful conjuration?" If the old wizard could just teleport them all away, things would go very simply. Then again, he might simply be able to fry them on the spot.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-06, 08:21 PM
Boni is now fixated on walking towards the door but James responds for him. "He just means that if you don't get out of the house before its gone, the house poofs you back to the entrance and it sucks. Jacob did it once for fun but he threw up." Jacob nods solemnly in remembrance. "But it's no big deal. Normally it's just 2 or 3 orcs and Dad fend them off no problem."

The party makes their way to the door and Boni is the first outside. Immediately, he returns back inside and closes the door. He draws in a deep breath. "I will be honest with you all. I thought your brutish friend was exaggerating the number of orcs. I see now that that was not the case."

The twins look surprised - evidently, they believed the same.

"I can keep us safe for 10 more minutes or I can create the house again but it will take a full 60 seconds to do so. But I can't do both."

scalyfreak
2017-10-07, 03:07 PM
Oona turns on Boni and opens her mouth to say something, then thinks the better of wasting time they don't have, and settles for giving him a withering glare of sheer contempt. There are more important things to deal with.

Moving on to ignore Boni and the twins for now, Oona instead turns towards Aureus. "We may be able to use those fire blasters outside to help us deal with some of them. We're a bit out-numbered." She glances over at Boni again, and lowers her voice, "Not sure how much help he'll be, outside of telling us when and were the fire blasts will happen... power's useless without focus."

Noticing what Theren is doing with his wand, Oona nods to him, and then at Val and Mark as well. "Either one of you have some magic you can use to keep the big troll or ogre or whatever it is, away from us until we can figure out how to deal with it?"

Majin
2017-10-09, 01:57 PM
"If it understands speech, I can try to enchant it. It would be a temporary ally, and quite possibly surprise the orcs."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-13, 05:05 AM
“Dad, give me your notes” James chimes in. He does so. “I’ll let you guys know if one of the fire things is about to blow.”

Boni nods. “Excellent. Just try to keep them off of me for one minute. Okay we’re out in 3... 2... 1...”

Suddenly, the party endures a second of agony as it feels as if they are being squeezed through a pipe and violently stretched back to their normal proportions. Nauseated, they catch their bearings and find themselves in a tight-knit group outside the tent - the trap door no longer behind them in its original place.

Before them and to the sides no more than 20’ away stand 8 orcs with spears and 2 especially ferious orcs with better armor, like that which Oona liberated from a similar enemy, and large 2-handed swords with bone hilts.

Beyond, 40’ away, a monstrous wolf growls and drools. On its back sits a very old orc with seemingly equally old robes and an eye patch over one eye. All have the same symbol seen on the previous group.

Desril
2017-10-17, 07:53 PM
"I don't know what you want with us, orcs, but you'll find easier prey elsewhere. Leave, or you'll regret having irritated me," she states simply, glaring at the one-eyed orc in the back. Soldiers and bandits didn't get to be old unless they were damned better than everyone else, and he was either the leader or the most dangerous opponent at a glance, so it's he who drew her attention, though she didn't start the attack.

As far as I can tell, my 23 initiative puts me ahead of the enemies, but I'd rather not initiate hostilities. I ready Armor of Agathys if anything tries to attack me.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-18, 03:16 AM
The orcs look a bit surprised to be spoken to. The hesitate momentarily and look to their leader. He grunts and barks back in Orcish.
Those who understand orcish hear these words:
"Not one of us fears a good fight! **** cowards!"
He draws in a breath.
"But I will not risk the survival of my tribe without cause. Give us one of your members you can do without for our secrifice to Grummsh and we will leave without bloodshed!"
He adds in an insult to the parties virility following this speech but those familiar with the language know it is customary in Orcish to include an insult at the end of a request.

scalyfreak
2017-10-18, 08:14 PM
Oona has been attempting to watch all the orcs at once, her eyes darting back and forth, but as Val speaks she stops, her dark hard eyes settling on the orc who replies. And she nods, and replies in the orcish language, "I will tell them what you said, and we'll decide."

Oona does not turn towards her travel companions as she continues, this time in the commonly spoken tongue, "He says if we give him one of ours as tribute to their god, the rest can leave. For anyone who wants to volunteer, that means you'll get killed." As she speaks she glances over at Aureus, and lowers her voice quite a bit. "We either kill one of ours, or we fight them. They're not leaving without blood. And he wants to avoid fighting... thinks too many of his tribe might die here." The pause that follows is rather meaningful, as Oona makes a point of looking over her fellow travelers, Boni and the twins, then looks over the orcs and the warg, evaluating and comparing the two groups.

AssaultMage
2017-10-18, 08:59 PM
Aureus grunts. "I, for one, would rather not surrender a member of our motley party to bloody, barbarian sacrifice." He thinks on this for a second, then adds to Oona, "Offense unintended." He rolls his stiff shoulders and shakes out his shield arm in preparation for what he suspects to be the upcoming battle. "And as I feel that Helm would not look kindly upon my letting any of you be taken either... I think their blood will suffice." It's obvious that he's not going to be very receptive of anyone volunteering to surrender themselves to the wild orc's grisly rituals.

scalyfreak
2017-10-18, 09:23 PM
Aureus grunts. "I, for one, would rather not surrender a member of our motley party to bloody, barbarian sacrifice." He thinks on this for a second, then adds to Oona, "Offense unintended."

Oona snorts. "No offense. Not an orc."

Original post edited to give Jbe's plan a fair chance.

JbeJ275
2017-10-19, 05:10 AM
Everyone, team huddle!

Mark calls out seeming relitivly encouraged despite his hangover.

Wizard dude, how long can till the house is back? Also how long 'til the fire shoots again? Oh, and I'm not sure if we need to know but is there anyway you can stop them seeing me? I don't need to move so illusions mightdo it without invisibility. And everyone else. He whispers spinning in place, Tell me if my plan is stupid. Basically I send out my dupe, but illusionarily blindfolded as the sacrifice. He says making air quotes around that last word. And then he stumbles onto the lava pit and boom, we gave them a hostage that they failed to take care of, if they don't know enough about the fire stuff maybe we catch a few in the Blast.

So what do you guys think?

Majin
2017-10-19, 03:09 PM
"It's worth trying, at the very least. Their demand is not wholly unreasonable, but I'm not sure if they would keep their promise", Theren says and strokes his beard thoughtfully. "If need be, I can try to enhance the effect with my own illusion."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-19, 09:49 PM
"You can't break Dads concentration when he's casting a spell" Jacob cuts in, rolling his eyes as he doesn't necessarily buy into the rules of magic. Sure enough, a glance into the tent reveals Boni squatting over various spell components and scratching symbols into the earth with great focus. "But this spell takes about a minute"

James is furiously scanning his fathers notes in reaponce to Marks question. "Well this close one won't blow for another 70 something hours but..." He flips a few pages "there's another one right over there" he guestures to a streaming patch of ground about 25' away "is supposed to blow in about 20 seconds! It's the only one for a while though..."

scalyfreak
2017-10-20, 09:11 PM
Oona frowns a little bit at Theren's suggestion that handing one of their own over is reasonable, then nods to James, acknowledging the spot on the ground he pointed to. Next her dark eyes turns to Mark. "I can tell the leader we agree, and then you do your thing." She glances at Theren as she speaks, including him, and then looks over at Aureus. "Agree?"

AssaultMage
2017-10-22, 11:41 AM
Aureus nods. "As good a plan as any we've got. Prepare for a fight if they're not amused by our illusion."

scalyfreak
2017-10-22, 11:55 AM
Oona nods, and turns back towards the group of orcs again, addressing them in their own language. "We will give you the annoying one, that talks too much." She steps to the side, supposedly to make room for the designated sacrifice to step forward. Or more realistically, be moved forward by the others.

JbeJ275
2017-10-22, 12:34 PM
OK, I'm gonna fall to the ground now Theren if you could get me some illusion cover that would be great.After giving him a moment Mark closes is eyes and then steps back concealed by the groups bodies. As real Mark hides a copy of him steps forth hands behind his back and eyes covered. With a mismatched gait the copy limps forward moving towards the spot pointed out beforehand where the fire is set to rise.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-23, 08:40 PM
The Orc leader shouts something triumphantly to his followers in orcish. Then switches to Common.
"Drop your weapons and step back! Then we will come to claim your annoying one!"
He guestures to one of the larger orcs who then prepares 4 apparent subordinates to retrieve the illusion.

Majin
2017-10-24, 01:33 PM
Theren covers Mark with an illusion of a rock and watches the scene unfold. Shame he hadn't had time to cast one of his new rituals before the orcs arrived. At least one of them could understand the orcs' speech.

It looked like the orcs were buying the duplicate cleric. Now if the explosions were as punctual as Boni had implied they were, they'd have a chance to get away without bloodshed.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-24, 11:23 PM
After the party begrudgingly sheaths their weapons and moved back 5', the large or Orc captain motions forward his four subordinates.
(Turn 3)
They move forward cautiously, slowly surrounding the "cleric". When within 5', one reaches out with the butt of her spear to prod the captive and sees the weapon slide harmlessly through.
She shouts in anger and wheels around to face the party.
(Turn 4)
Seemingly in response to the cry, the ground beneath her and her coworkers explodes in a molten blast as lava shoots as high as 20' into the air. After a few brief seconds, the blast concludes and the remaining lava slops back down to the ground and across the four flaming courses there.
A roar of anger erupts from the orcs with equal force as the lava bursting from the ground.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-29, 09:14 PM
The remaining orc stream forward with a passion and anger few have seen before. They raise their spears and strike at the closest enemy before them.

To Oona
[roll0] [roll1]
To Val
[roll2] [roll3]
To Theren
[roll4] [roll5]
To Aureus
[roll6] [roll7]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-10-29, 09:18 PM
The twins, seeing this bloody onslaught, position themselves between their father and the enemy - hoping to take any oncoming blows in his stead

Both take the dodge action, making all attacks against them at disadvantage

scalyfreak
2017-10-30, 07:52 AM
AC w/ shield: 19

Oona meets the spear attack easily, letting her shield absorb the full force of the orc's angry blow. Already in the process of drawing her sword, she wastes no time attacking her opponent in return.

JbeJ275
2017-10-30, 09:20 AM
Mark clambers to his feet, wiping his knees free of mud.

He stares dead at the orc leader and hollers, "Surprise Motherf***ers!"

Taking a dagger from his boot he hurls it the nearest unengaged orc, then a glowing red spear bursts from his palm and striker the orc attacking Val.

Dagger
[roll0]
[roll1]

Spiritual Weapon
[roll2]
[roll3]

Majin
2017-10-30, 04:47 PM
Theren (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1231424), HP: 22/22 AC: 15, PPerception: 14, SorcPoints: 3/4

Instead of backing away from the attacking orc straight away, Theren shouts a magic word and gathers two bolts of lightning in his palms. He then tries grab the orc's armor, and release the electricity.

As the shock will leave the orc momentarily stunned, Theren backs away, and casts another spell. This time a spectral black scimitar, with a blade shaped like a raven's wing, flies towards the orc, attempting to slash it.

Cast and twin Shocking Grasp (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Shocking_Grasp). I assume the orc is wearing armor, so Theren will have advantage.

Advantage: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + 6 crit damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?527065-Adventurers-in-the-Hands-of-an-Angry-God&p=22523237#post22523237)

Attack: [roll3]
Advantage: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Also cast Spiritual Weapon (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Spiritual_Weapon) as bonus action.

Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-11-01, 09:44 PM
Oona’s attack sends her opponent reeling back, breathing heavy but still breathing.

The fierce orc with a bone-handled sword easily dodges Mark’s knife but Val’s opponent isn’t so lucky as to dodge his glowing red spear.

Theren unleashes a fury of magical energy and drops his opponent before he can so much as cry out in pain.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-11-01, 09:49 PM
The two stronger orcs with the swords seem to be a sort of squadron leader. The one who’s followers are mostly still alive gives a war cry that reverberates through the flat plain, seeming to enliven his followers. He rushes forward in an attack on Oona.

The less fortunate squadron leader maintains her defensive position between the party and the orc leader.

Attack on Oona
[roll0]
[roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-11-07, 07:05 PM
The knight lands a solid hit but his opponent remains standing.

The warg paws at the ground wanting to move forward, but it's rider keeps it in check. Then he waves his hands in the air, casting a spell.

Those with magical proficiency can see it targets and benefits the three living smaller orcs.

Desril
2017-11-07, 07:42 PM
Val suddenly seems to spark with electricity, bolts of lightning striking out from her eyes and feet, and more importantly, her outstretch hand as she unleashes an arc of lightning at the orc captain attacking Oona.

Witch Bolt (lvl2)
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-11-08, 01:14 AM
The captain seems to shake off the magical effect with sheer willpower. His only reaction being to growl in Val’s direction.

The three orcs, all damaged, continue their assault against the party. But now they seem to fight with a renewed ferocity.

All gain advantage this turn from captains war cry.
All are under the effect of bless from the leader.

On Oona
[roll0] advantage [roll1]
Plus Bless [roll2]
For [roll3]

On Val
[roll4] advantage [roll5]
Plus Bless [roll6]
For [roll7]

On Aureus
[roll8] advantage [roll9]
Plus Bless [roll10]
For [roll11]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-11-08, 01:21 AM
Jacob and James, seeing all the carnage pick up stones from nearby on the ground and throw them at the orc attacking Oona.

Jacob
[roll0]
For [roll1]

James
[roll2]
For [roll3]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-11-08, 01:23 AM
Shockingly, the orc takes the second stone directly in the eye and drops dead at Oona’s feet. A glance backwards at James reveals a very surprised face. Now Oona is able to focus on the Captain engaged with her.

scalyfreak
2017-11-08, 02:00 AM
Oona shakes her head, ears ringing from a glancing blow that has blood dripping down over her shoulder. Not sparing a glance behind her, she resolutely pushes forward... quite literally. The upper edge of her shield is shoved into the the orc captain's face, followed by the rest of the shield backed by Oona's considerable strength, in an attempt to knock the orc off his feet for an easy opening.

Athletics check for shield master shove: [roll0]
Attack roll: [roll1]
Advantage second attack roll in case shove succeeds: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]