PDA

View Full Version : Can the awaken spell cure the effects of feeblemind?

CrackedChair
2017-06-12, 07:03 PM
Bit of a thought here, feeblemind is supposed to destroy somebody's mind, right? And awake is supposed to give a creature with little intelligence some intelligence, right? Would Awake cancel out Feeblemind?

Ralanr
2017-06-12, 07:06 PM
But would the awakened creature have the same personality?

CrackedChair
2017-06-12, 07:08 PM
But would the awakened creature have the same personality?

That's... uh, well, shoot. I dunno...

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-12, 07:17 PM
RAW, it wouldn't because awaken must be cast on a beast or plant, and all playable characters are humanoids, a completely different type as far as the rules are concerned.

I'd probably allow it on the pretense that a humanoid is just a very advanced beast, with the caveat that when feeblemind wears off they'll have a bad case of split-personality disorder and will have to fight themselves to assert dominance.

Because that's cool.

Drackolus
2017-06-12, 07:20 PM
No, as awaken can only affect a beast or plant. Of course, you could polymorph the creature into a beast with 3 or less intelligence to get around that. After that... Yes. Charisma would stay 1 and intelligence would be 10. It then gains 1 language of your choice and is charmed for 30 days. These would actually persist past the feeblemind.

Come to think of it, you could polymorph and then awaken your 8 int fighter for free intelligence and a language. Can be dispelled, though.

Drackolus
2017-06-12, 07:26 PM
I'd probably allow it on the pretense that a humanoid is just a very advanced beast, with the caveat that when feeblemind wears off they'll have a bad case of split-personality disorder and will have to fight themselves to assert dominance.

Because that's cool.

Definitely. Awaken forces a new consciousness into the person. I'd even consider a permanent madness, as being born whilst already having memories would be confusing. They may be able to recover fully after some time, or they might embrace it... Or even unlock psionic abilities if they choose to embrace their new worldview.

If the awakening is still on someone when feeblemind wears off, they will be stuck with 10 int, even if theirs was originally higher.

CrackedChair
2017-06-12, 07:28 PM
So basically, Yami Marik.

Drackolus
2017-06-12, 07:33 PM
So basically, Yami Marik.

In a sense, though I have always figured awakened beings are childlike; nieve and missing social queues. Probably would have empathy as the brain is still fully developped, but maybe not.
I guess a beast would still have memories, so it wouldn't be like being born, but instantly aging.

dejarnjc
2017-06-12, 07:42 PM
No, as awaken can only affect a beast or plant. Of course, you could polymorph the creature into a beast with 3 or less intelligence to get around that. After that... Yes. Charisma would stay 1 and intelligence would be 10. It then gains 1 language of your choice and is charmed for 30 days. These would actually persist past the feeblemind.

Come to think of it, you could polymorph and then awaken your 8 int fighter for free intelligence and a language. Can be dispelled, though.

Polymorph lasts 1 hour. Awaken takes 8 hours to cast. EVEN IF you had multiple casters in your party chaining polymorphs to make it last 8 hours, when you're polymorphed you have the beast's stat block and lose your own; when you return to your humanoid form you lose ALL of the beast's stats.

That being said, DMs can do whatever they want.

Drackolus
2017-06-13, 12:40 AM
Polymorph lasts 1 hour. Awaken takes 8 hours to cast. EVEN IF you had multiple casters in your party chaining polymorphs to make it last 8 hours, when you're polymorphed you have the beast's stat block and lose your own; when you return to your humanoid form you lose ALL of the beast's stats.

That being said, DMs can do whatever they want.

It's not really stated if the target of a spell must be "legal" for the full casting or just the beginning and/or end, probably because that isn't a typical thing to matter.
Either way, polymorph ending doesn't reset any ongoing effects. For example, if you are prone or blessed, those persist, as they aren't "game statistics."
Then again, maybe they are. I don't think "game statistics" is defined anywhere, so I suppose that falls under pure dm fiat.
Also worth mentioning that setting a pc's int to 10 and giving them 1 free language already known by the druid is arguably a waste of 1000g, all of which is dispellable, so this is more of a mental exercise than a real strategy.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-13, 12:46 AM
It's not really stated if the target of a spell must be "legal" for the full casting or just the beginning and/or end, probably because that isn't a typical thing to matter.
Either way, polymorph ending doesn't reset any ongoing effects. For example, if you are prone or blessed, those persist, as they aren't "game statistics."
Then again, maybe they are. I don't think "game statistics" is defined anywhere, so I suppose that falls under pure dm fiat.
Also worth mentioning that setting a pc's int to 10 and giving them 1 free language already known by the druid is arguably a waste of 1000g, all of which is dispellable, so this is more of a mental exercise than a real strategy.
Sometimes this kind of mental exercise leads to interesting moments, though. A few years back I let a player play as an awakened horse barbarian, belovedly known as Murder Horse. He was introduced in a flaming barn, wherein he proceeded to brutalize the bandits that threatened his horse friends.

I can think of a few players that would love to roleplay the aftermath of being awakened while feebleminded.

some guy
2017-06-13, 04:01 AM
Wait, a pc that can cast awaken, can also cast greater restoration, which dispels feeblemind automatically and is 900 gp cheaper.
Is this just a thought exercise?

RSP
2017-06-13, 04:08 AM
Do the two personality thing and play it as a MC with a die roll before every combat to see which class abilities you can use during that combat.

Corran
2017-06-13, 05:20 AM
Nystrul's magic aura would also probably do the trick, as far as going around the targeting limitations of awaken goes.

Drackolus
2017-06-13, 04:07 PM
Wait, a pc that can cast awaken, can also cast greater restoration, which dispels feeblemind automatically and is 900 gp cheaper.
Is this just a thought exercise?

Well, if you find a scroll of awaken and your 6th level party got hit with a feeblemind...

Nystrul's magic aura would also probably do the trick, as far as going around the targeting limitations of awaken goes.

I assume the targetting limitation is more of a "doesn't work on those targets," like healing undead.
I'd probably say it would cause a similar issue as using polymorph, as you jam a circle shaped spell into your square-shaped psyche.

Edit: 4 hrs of sleep makes things hard