PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Free/Swift/Immediate Actions and Hustling

No brains
2017-06-12, 07:05 PM
I remember reading in one of the books that any turn in which a creature uses two move actions or a move and standard action, they count as hustling for the purposes of exhaustion. Now this rule doesn't come into play a lot, but I still like that it's quantified just in case any extreme cases pop up in games.

One thing that's not explained is how much 'effort' free/swift/immediate actions take. How would those actions count towards exhaustion? Would it matter which action was being taken? What do you think?

Zaydos
2017-06-12, 07:10 PM
RAW they don't (but I think you knew that).

I'd say free actions within reason don't; you don't get exhausted talking.

Swift actions as they usually represent using adrenaline to spur something into being done faster than normal and commensurate effort I'd say might count similarly to a move or standard action.

Immediate actions are swift actions taken during other people's turns so... see Swift action.

Demidos
2017-06-12, 07:16 PM
Heya Zaydos, hey NoBrains,

I think you/NoBrains are/was referring to the rule that when travelling overland, e.g. in non tactical movement, your distance moved is calculated based on single move actions rather than double move actions. If you wish to take double actions, you can move much faster, but are considered tired/exhausted/fatigued (don't remember specifically which) and must make checks for every hour travelled in such manner. This rule isn't meant to be used in combat (unless you're already tired from hustling and get ambushed or something before you can rest). Check Chapter...6?...of the Player's Handbook

Zaydos
2017-06-12, 08:15 PM
It is however meant for exploration. Such as 'I take 20 to search the room and this room and this room' if you're searching for 3 hours it's the same thing as hustling for 3 hours. With abilities that grant temporary boosts that are usable at-will and out of combat (for example a Paladin's Detect Evil or a Warlock's Detect Magic) it becomes relevant. If there's any such Swift actions (which many homebrew have) No brains's question becomes very possible.

Like Detect Magic, I've had a Warlock who walked around with it all the time overland. The fact that it's concentration duration and if you move and use a standard action (concentration) on it for 1 hour it counts as an hour of hustling and to keep doing it risks penalties is in fact important (it means that warlocks don't start each encounter with it active while traveling overland). This is the same question for Swift/Immediate actions. Here it's mostly idle speculation (I'm sure there's homebrew that it'd matter for but), no one was ever talking about it in combat.

No brains
2017-06-12, 09:12 PM
Also while I dread having to actually PLAY such an encounter, the idea of an encounter lasting for hours is fun to imagine.

Also if I'm forced to play an elf wizard with very low con, I might need to know if casting Feather Fall will hurt me just as much as a normal fall. :smalltongue:

Deophaun
2017-06-12, 09:54 PM
I remember reading in one of the books that any turn in which a creature uses two move actions or a move and standard action, they count as hustling for the purposes of exhaustion.
Close.

A character moving his or her speed twice in a single round, or moving that speed in the same round that he or she performs a standard action or another move action is hustling when he or she moves.
Note that it's not measured in actions, but speed. If you have a speed of 30' and use a double move to go 55', not 60', technically you're not hustling. Same if that character is concentrating on detect magic but only moving 25' a round. Furthermore, if you have some means of constantly using a free or swift action to move your speed, doing so counts as hustling even if you do nothing with your available standard.

Whether a DM will let you get away with that is another matter, but I'd say moving at half speed while performing a standard/move to avoid hustling would be a fair ruling.

No brains
2017-06-13, 12:11 AM
Does that mean riding horses and FALLING can tire you out faster than running!?

Zaydos
2017-06-13, 12:34 AM
I will point out that moving 55 feet you're still moving your speed (30 ft) and using another move action in the round.

I have in fact had it come up and given a pass on the 15 ft + Standard before (I forget what that was since it wasn't the warlock. I think it was the search all the things ever)