PDA

View Full Version : So what do your dice look like?

CrackedChair
2017-06-12, 07:27 PM
So what polyhedral dice do you have? I currently have a Chessex speckled dice, Air design...

lunaticfringe
2017-06-12, 07:41 PM
Just solid primary & secondary colored standard hobby shop dice. A few see thru, a few color swirled. A lot of fancy dice are neat but can be hard to read in my experience. Also I'm a cheap bastard.

Kane0
2017-06-12, 07:57 PM
Black, white, blue and red chessex sets, plus some white irondie (swarm and regeneration for easiest reading) for when I need to lay the smack down with a fistful of d6s.

Noje
2017-06-12, 08:24 PM
I just buy whatever bulk dice set is on sale on Amazon. The only thing that matters to me when buying dice is that they can be easily read and are fairly cheap. It makes things much easier than everyone bringing their own sets, especially since my groups contain mostly newbies who don't have their own.

Jay R
2017-06-12, 09:14 PM
My one-sided dies looks like this:
https://images3.sw-cdn.net/product/picture/710x528_3964978_161789_1459304628.jpg

And my 120 sided die looks like a red one of these.
http://mathartfun.com/thedicelab.com//d120five0316.jpg

And I have pretty much everything in between, although I recently culled all the pretty or clever designs that can't be read across the table.

[I even have a home-made d60 that looks like a rubber ball with large-head pins sticking in it at the vertices, and threads running along the edges.]

KillianHawkeye
2017-06-12, 10:17 PM
I mainly have a lot of the Chessex speckled dice sets, including Air, Earth, Fire, and Water, among others. The dice that I exclusively use for DMing are the Chessex Ninja set, which are a nice black and gray color. I also have several sets that I've gotten in D&D boxed sets, such as the D&D 3.5 Player's Kit and the D&D 5E Starter Set, which generally come in various solid colors. I have a set of dice from White Wolf's late 90's Werewolf: the Apocalypse game, which are all d10s in brown marble with silver-gray numbers (one of them has the five phases of the moon instead of numbers). There's also a set of 16 d6s which were probably from a Chessex set as well (I can't quite remember) that are translucent dark gray with white pips and are used mostly to roll stats. Beyond that, I have a few random individual dice that I've picked up along the way, as well as a half dozen or so d6s that I scavenged from old board games.

All in all, my dice collection resides in two very full little dice bags. I guess I'd estimate that I have something like a hundred and twenty-five dice, give or take.

JAL_1138
2017-06-12, 10:31 PM
I have about 5 pounds, mostly matched sets, mostly from Chessex, Gamescience, and Koplow. Opaque plain, speckled, transparent, swirled, frosted, glitter, iridescent, pearlescent, glow-in-the-dark, oversized/jumbo, normal sized, several sets of 12mm (small) d6es, several sets of normal-sized d6es...the works, pretty much.

EDIT: In addition to the several pounds of matched polyhedral and d6 sets, I also have several sets of d10s, quite a lot of sets of standard-sized d6es, one Pound-o-Dice from Chessex, and several sets of uncommon dice (d3, d5s, d14s, d16s, d24s), and a couple of oddballs--e.g., d100s that actually have 100 sides, eight-sided d4s (1-4 twice), a 10-sided d5 (1-5 twice), some old-school d20s numbered 0-9 twice (that can be used as either 20s or 10s), a d7, some d30s, a d50, a d12 with dungeon layouts on it to generate random floorplans, a set of ten-sided dice that are numbered to be a d10000, Fudge/Fate dice, a few of those awful barrel-dice from Crystal Caste, and some really old, somewhat fragile TSR-era dice.

Knaight
2017-06-12, 10:32 PM
I've got somewhere between enough and entirely too many Fudge dice in a range of colors, with the highlights being the metallic looking set and some 3D printed hollow dice with holes through them for the + and - signs, about 50d10, three nice sets of d6, and then a polyhedral set and some miscellany, with the polyhedral set being pieced together out of individual dice of different styles.

Amphetryon
2017-06-12, 10:42 PM
I like clear dice, but some GMs have voiced concerns about their visibility across the table. So, I gravitated to the frosted clear dice as my default.

LordCdrMilitant
2017-06-12, 11:04 PM
I've got a big stack of 75 flat green D6's with white markings, 3 artillery scatter dice, and 3 artillery mishap dice. I've also got some flat red and flat orange polyhedral dice with white markings, and an extra D20 that looks like the other red one but has the number of different faces.

One of my friends has some "Chaos" dice that are Red/Green/Blue/Clearish with Brass/Brown/Gold/Blackish swirls in them, and pips the same colors as the swirls, and I swear they are the most annoying set of dice ever made. They are next to impossible to read, especially when there's a whole handful of them being rolled at once.

I like to be able to read my dice, so I buy the cheapest sets of flat color dice with high-contrast markings I can.

As a side note, the artillery scatter dice actually gets rolled fairly commonly when playing D&D and Dark Heresy.

AshfireMage
2017-06-13, 01:49 AM
I own... I want to say five of the Chessex 7-polyhedral sets. I must be part raven, I love collecting things, especially shiny things, so I limit myself to one set per character, usually in a color scheme that coordinates with the character's personality or abilities somehow. I've long since forgotten the actual names, but I call them

* The magic dice- my first set, black with gold numbers, for a half-elf sorcerer with black hair

* The bone dice- off-white with black numbers, for a rogue who probably has a set of actual bone dice in her pack somewhere

* The Drow dice- black and grey speckled with silver numbers, for, well, a Dow (and still my favorite D&D character I've played)

* The fire dice- metallic orange and gold swirl with white numbers, for a red haired, golden-eyed Tiefling sorcerer with a love of dramatic spells

* The eldrich dice- pink and purple metallic swirl with white numbers for a warlock

Currently looking for a set of 10 d10 in black with red numbers, because if you're not using those for Vampire, what are you doing with your life?

JAL_1138
2017-06-14, 12:15 PM
I just buy whatever bulk dice set is on sale on Amazon. The only thing that matters to me when buying dice is that they can be easily read and are fairly cheap. It makes things much easier than everyone bringing their own sets, especially since my groups contain mostly newbies who don't have their own.

If I get a total newbie to RPGs whatsoever, who doesn't already have dice, I try to buy 'em a set or would give 'em one from the Pound-o-Dice, to keep, to try to make them feel welcome and cut down on the barrier to entry.

That comes up so rarely even in League that I think I've only bought two or three sets for newbies ever, and haven't had to touch the pound-o-dice yet.

KillianHawkeye
2017-06-14, 12:36 PM
Currently looking for a set of 10 d10 in black with red numbers, because if you're not using those for Vampire, what are you doing with your life?

I'm pretty sure the actual Vampire: the Masquerade dice were green with red numbers...........

ImNotTrevor
2017-06-14, 01:44 PM
Y-you wanna know what my dice look like?
How lewd!
At least take me out to dinner first....

Pugwampy
2017-06-15, 04:00 AM
A lot of fancy dice are neat but can be hard to read in my experience.

That in a nutshell and they also seem to be less durable when compared to the average stuff which makes no sense. gold paint falls off , metal dice becomes poc marked and chipped , fuzzy dice loses fur and becomes stained .

oxybe
2017-06-15, 05:06 AM
White numbers on solid black dice and black numbers on solid white dice are prefered. I do have a set of white on dark gray ones that have a slight marbling to them, though from a distance the marbling isn't really visible.

Professor Chimp
2017-06-15, 09:10 AM
They look like dice.

Snark answer aside, mine aren't anything special. Just plain solid colored dice with plain white numbers. Got them in black, red, blue and green. Boring, but very readable, they way I prefer them.

Oh, and one mottled dark red d20 with white numbers lovingly known as 'Doom' among my players, mostly because they know it is the one I use (on purpose) for all the really important rolls.

JAL_1138
2017-06-15, 09:31 AM
Boring, but very readable, they way I prefer them.

The older I get, the stronger my glasses prescription gets, and the more I play in the dimly-lit room my FLGS provides (it does double duty as an RPG room and console-rental videogame room, and for the sake of the videogame rentals the lighting is dim and the colors are dark, akin to movie theaters), the more highly I value high-contrast readability with good color choice for the numbers, without bold swirls of color on the die or contrasting speckles or intricate patterns that break up the outlines of the numbers, or make the indicator for 6 vs 9 hard to see.

Even in better lighting conditions than my FLGS, I've seen plenty of color/pattern/number-color combinations from Chessex that are basically unusable unless they're really close, and Q-workshop are outright awful (not helped by the fonts they use for their numbers). Players taking extra time just to lean over and try to read their dice at all, because the colors are so awful they can't make out what they rolled. I haven't noticed it as a problem (yet), but those kinds of dice also seem like they would lend themselves to cheating, since other people would have even more trouble reading the rolls than the person using them.

AshfireMage
2017-06-15, 01:42 PM
I'm pretty sure the actual Vampire: the Masquerade dice were green with red numbers...........

I think so too, but vampires are so associated with black and red in my mind, that I apparently took it into my head that that's what I need, lol.

My buddy has a huge collection (probably twenty sets plus a few assorted odd-numbered dice), and one thing we do a lot is use her extras as figurines for monsters, quite handy.

goto124
2017-06-15, 10:35 PM
use her extras as figurines for monsters, quite handy.

Did anyone ever pick up a die thinking it was for rolling?

"Carl, no! That's the Gelatinous Cube!"
"It's not even a cube!"

AshfireMage
2017-06-16, 12:44 AM

"It's not even a cube!"

It happened on occasion, but since everyone in the party had their own dice and she tended to use the same ones as monsters over and over again, it wasn't too bad. Monsters were almost always red with white numbers (unless we had more than about ten of them), the sorcerer's familiar was always an electric blue d4, etc

Way more confusing was trying to refer to specific enemies, but we eventually got around that by making sure all he dice had differnt numbers facing up so we could say "I attack 4" instead of "I'm going to attack the d6. No, the other d6. no, not that one"

JAL_1138
2017-06-16, 01:16 AM

"It's not even a cube!"

I do the "dice as stand-ins for minis" thing too, and have never had that happen. Players have their own dice and I have enough to just use types they're not using. They also tend to ask before picking up a die from the mat unless it's very clearly just been rolled or they've just now disposed of the critter it's being used to represent, and there's also some general table etiquette of "never touch somebody's dice without permission."

Referring to them by number is a good idea, too (e.g., Goblin #4, the die reads 4). If I pass up the highest die face for the dice I'm using, I switch to a different die type or different color (or both).

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-16, 01:45 AM
I've got a bunch of misprint dice. I took a grab from the cheap dice bin at a game shop, 3 colors x 6 dice, 6 of them turned out to be off. Three of the red ones don't have a six, but two fours, two fives and two ones, respectively. Two of the yellow ones merely have the placing of the numbers screwed up. (The placing on those three red ones is also wrong, but that's not their most notable feature.) Finally there's a structural defect. A third yellow die has a hole in the center dot of the three, leading to what looks like a pretty big hollow space. I don't think all these dice are hollow either, they sink. So the lesson here is: buy blue dice. (Or bet with your friends they can't throw a six in two throws of these three dice.)

JellyPooga
2017-06-16, 01:48 AM
My d3, d4, d6 and d12 all have 12 sides.
My d10, d20 and d% all have 20 sides.

I like dice that actually roll.

Celestia
2017-06-16, 02:51 AM
I have just simple Chessex dice. I've got three of the 7 die set: pink, blue, and green. They're clear and glittery. And I've got a sole purple d20. I also have a set of sold blue and red d6s, though those aren't in my dice bag. I keep them with my copy of Sentinels of the Multiverse to keep track of health.

Altair_the_Vexed
2017-06-16, 07:52 AM
All black and white, all plain.
I have some black plastic with white numbers, some the other way round. Easy to read*, but still allowing me to pick contrasting dice.
All my d6s are pipped, so I can tell my six-sided d3s apart.

I have a "bag of shame" which contains a set of blue, red, yellow, green and white dice - for people who haven't brought their own dice to the session. Again, they're all plain and easy to read.

*"Easy to read" becomes more and more important as you get older and more broken. :S

Cisturn
2017-06-18, 08:26 PM
I have a couple of sets...

My main set is black with gold print. Then there's another set that looks like the first, but with a slight holographic rainbow pattern. Then another that is black mixed with molten red and golden print.

I also have one super lucky pink d6.

I also keep three sets in my classroom. (We play DnD sometimes). A translucent green set with golden type, a sparkly translucent punk set with silver print, and a sparkly translucent turquoise set with white print. What can I say, the kids really like sparkly sets.

ORione
2017-06-18, 09:46 PM
They're purple.

CrackedChair
2017-06-19, 11:55 AM
I was actually thinking of adding this set of dice to my collection right here...

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/3930/Chessex-Lustrous-Slate-7-Dice-Polyset

The slate color looks nice, and it looks like I'd impress some people with how it looks...

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-06-19, 01:27 PM
I stick to shades of red and orange. Besides the slightly reddish-orange ones from the Pathfinder Starter Set, I think all of mine are Chessex. I have an opaque maroon set with gold numbering, an opaque orange and yellow speckled set with black numbers, a translucent red set with white numbers and a translucent orange set with white numbers.

I also have a set like this (link (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1476/1216/products/crystal-oblivion-dice-set-orange_large.jpg?v=1473200505)) but I don't use them very often because the D20 can be hard to read and it can be tough to identify which die you're picking up without stopping to examin it.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-06-21, 09:26 PM
A fair collection of mismatched dice collected from here and there (I've never bought dice for gaming).

I do have a handful of matched sets though. My "DM-only" set is a lovely translucent greenish-teal with white numbers.

FreddyNoNose
2017-06-23, 02:02 PM
one thing we do a lot is use her extras as figurines for monsters, quite handy.

This is a classic gamer thing to do!

Madbox
2017-06-24, 06:20 AM
I have a bunch of Chessex 7-counts, maybe eight or nine of them. Only colors I remember off the top of my head are my swirly orange and grey ones that I refer to as the OG dice since they were my first set (missing the d6 now), and my sparkly white with gold numbers set that I only use for healing because superstition.

I also have a couple of Chessex d6s blocks of 36, one metallic red and one purple, and a set of 12 sparkly charcoal d6es.

Finally, the crown jewel of my collection is my "hit die", an oversized white d12 that, instead of numbers, has sides labeled with limbs/ hands/ feet/ head/ stomach/ neck/ full body.