PDA

View Full Version : Optimization PC necromancer help?

UnwiseAlistair
2017-06-12, 09:41 PM
So I'm playing in a new campaign during the summer, and I'm building a necromancer wizard. I'm looking at options for the human variant feat, but I'm not sure what to take. Does anyone know what feats compliment a necromancer? I'm second level, variant human, stats from Str to Cha are 13, 14, 16, 16, 12, 14. (I enjoy having wisdom as my low stat.)
I'm hoping for advice on feats and spells to take, now and for the future. Also tips on what things to avoid.
This must be adventurers league legal
Thank you

PeteNutButter
2017-06-12, 09:55 PM
So I'm playing in a new campaign during the summer, and I'm building a necromancer wizard. I'm looking at options for the human variant feat, but I'm not sure what to take. Does anyone know what feats compliment a necromancer? I'm second level, variant human, stats from Str to Cha are 13, 14, 16, 16, 12, 14. (I enjoy having wisdom as my low stat.)
I'm hoping for advice on feats and spells to take, now and for the future. Also tips on what things to avoid.
This must be adventurers league legal
Thank you

I take it AL legal only is a DM rule, and you aren't actually playing AL? ...as those stats aren't AL legal.

Resilient Con is usually great for any caster, but since your con is even it isn't as much of an appeal. There really aren't that many great caster feats. Alert is decent, to toss out spells before enemies get to act. Observant could set you up for a con/int boost and a later resilient con. Even Tough wouldn't be bad, as the wizard's low hit points are often an issue.

Specter
2017-06-12, 09:58 PM
Well, anything that helps your concentration is wonderful, and those are Resilient CON and War Caster. Other than that, other generic feats may be in the gold according to your intentions and your party composition, like Tough, Skilled or Lucky.

UnwiseAlistair
2017-06-12, 10:02 PM
I take it AL legal only is a DM rule, and you aren't actually playing AL? ...as those stats aren't AL legal.

Resilient Con is usually great for any caster, but since your con is even it isn't as much of an appeal. There really aren't that many great caster feats. Alert is decent, to toss out spells before enemies get to act. Observant could set you up for a con/int boost and a later resilient con. Even Tough wouldn't be bad, as the wizard's low hit points are often an issue.

Yes the al legal is dm ruling not official AL he let us roll for stats

MaxWilson
2017-06-12, 10:06 PM

Lucky is always a solid choice, to pass saving throws and turn crits against you into misses, help with skill checks, etc.

Mobile is also rock-solid for anyone interested in surviving.

Necromancers basically don't need any feats at all--they mostly just need to learn tactics. I.e. develop your player skill, not your player character's build. HOWEVER, it's worth thinking about picking up Inspiring Leader, since you qualify for the prereqs. An extra 5-10 temp HP per short rest at low level are nice enough for PCs--but pure awesome for skeletons. Can double their survivability, and can eventually even let the skeletons survive AoEs like Fireballs. You'll need to make sure you speak their language though.

Drackolus
2017-06-12, 10:22 PM
Inspiring leader can boost your goons too, but only so many. Healer gives a lot of healing over your undead horde. Tough... Does what it says on the tin. Warcaster is a pretty good feat in general.

Warcaster is probably your best option.

Naanomi
2017-06-12, 10:28 PM
Depends on how dedicated a necromancer you are. If you plan on every spell slot 3+ being dedicated to corpse awakening then it really doesn't matter at all; take lucky or alert or any other 'generally good' Feat... even concentration won't matter much.

Of all the races, I like hobgoblin for necromancers. You always have allies around to activate your racials!

MaxWilson
2017-06-13, 08:22 AM
Inspiring leader can boost your goons too, but only so many.

There's really no practical limit, since you can boost 36 goons in an hour, and the Temp HP lasts until they take a short rest... but skeletons are immune to exhaustion, and don't ever have to rest unless you want them to.