PDA

View Full Version : Adding the Pseudonatural(ELH) template to monsters?

danielxcutter
2017-06-12, 09:44 PM
There are two versions of the "Pseudonatural" template, but for the sake of this thread, we're going with the Epic Level Handbook version, which can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm).

Obviously, the template is insanely powerful, otherwise it wouldn't be epic. However, I'm pretty sure that just how much the base creature gets improved might vary a lot.

For example, a Pseudobalor would have, among other things, five extra tentacle rakes and 100 SR, which is very powerful. However, a Pseudotarrasque is "also" CR 30 - but gets eighteen tentacle rakes and 240 SR. That's huge, no pun intended.

So... what monsters are great with the template, and which ones aren't quite as powerful as their CR? And which ones are actually balanced?

Note: Do not count Epic Spellcasting/Epic Manifesting, or similar game-breakers, when considering them. After all, most monsters with the template go up to epic CRs quite easily.

tyckspoon
2017-06-12, 10:39 PM
Psuedonatural gives mostly melee-relevant buffs that scale by HD. That suggests the best increases are going to come from big dumb bruiser monsters that already mostly scale by raw stats and HD; consider a Psuedonatural Dire Lion. Or, for maximum exploit, one of the types that get huge loads of HD to make up for having practically nothing else going for them. Gargantuan or Colossal Animated Objects and Monstrous Vermin make for fairly effective Psuedonatural critters.

danielxcutter
2017-06-12, 10:47 PM
Psuedonatural gives mostly melee-relevant buffs that scale by HD. That suggests the best increases are going to come from big dumb bruiser monsters that already mostly scale by raw stats and HD; consider a Psuedonatural Dire Lion. Or, for maximum exploit, one of the types that get huge loads of HD to make up for having practically nothing else going for them. Gargantuan or Colossal Animated Objects and Monstrous Vermin make for fairly effective Psuedonatural critters.

I don't think Animated Objects are valid targets(could be wrong, though), but the other ideas are interesting... especially a Dire Pseudolion. My oh my...

Zombulian
2017-06-12, 11:48 PM
I don't think Animated Objects are valid targets(could be wrong, though), but the other ideas are interesting... especially a Dire Pseudolion. My oh my...

They are actually. The only criterion is corporeality.

danielxcutter
2017-06-12, 11:50 PM
They are actually. The only criterion is corporeality.

I see, though it would be a tad odd.

Zombulian
2017-06-12, 11:56 PM
I see, though it would be a tad odd.

The Far Realms care not for your petty sense of normalcy

danielxcutter
2017-06-12, 11:59 PM
The Far Realms care not for your petty sense of normalcy

...that is it, I'm getting off my ass and getting an extended signature just for that.

Remuko
2017-06-13, 12:27 PM
This thread made me think of adding the template to a Devastation Beetle (also from ELH) for teh lulz but I decided to google to see if someone already had, I found something even better. (please let me know if I need to remove this link but I think its fine)

http://www.secretsofthearchmages.net/Results/Results/12098.htm

danielxcutter
2017-06-13, 04:51 PM
This thread made me think of adding the template to a Devastation Beetle (also from ELH) for teh lulz but I decided to google to see if someone already had, I found something even better. (please let me know if I need to remove this link but I think its fine)

...Wat. Seriously?

martixy
2017-06-13, 05:33 PM

Well that's just veering into Immortals handbook territory.

Malimar
2017-06-13, 05:51 PM
The Kaiju template (Dragon magazine #somethingtysomething) is primarily a heap of hit dice. Could make an intriguing combination with Pseudonatural.