PDA

View Full Version : Did I make myself invincible? (Epic Spells)

RoboEmperor
2017-06-13, 01:10 AM
I was re-reading the epic level handbook, and I noticed something.

As a thought exercise...
1. Dispel Seed + Transform Seed = Instantaneous duration transformation (RAW examples clearly state this is true)
2. Transform Seed lets you retain all Extraordinary abilities, and lets you gain Extraordinary and Supernatural abilities.
3. Keep developing Epic Spells with 0 Spellcraft DC until you transform into every creature with an Extraordinary ability!

Now obviously I don't want to transform into every creature in the game, and since I got some time on my hands I've been trying to figure out how to become invincible.

EDIT: REVISED PLAN

1. Tarrasque for Regeneration. (all damage nonlethal)
2. Half undead guy for dead nerves. (Immune to all nonlethal damage)
3. Adamantine Golem for magic Immunity. (Immune to all SR:YES spells)
4. Abomination to be immune to ability damage, energy drain, and ability drain.

1&2 should make me immune to 100% of damage. 3 makes me immune to every spell in the game. 4 makes me immune to a bunch of stuff that can kill me.

So with 4 epic spells of 0DC (although with like 15 day casting time each), am I invincible? Did I miss something?

Apparently I missed a bunch of SR:NO SoDs.

Shadowquad
2017-06-13, 02:20 AM
Well, I don't think 1&2 makes you immune to damage: as I see it, any +6 holy unholy silver weapon bypasses your regeneration. The holy and unholy weapon properties can be stacked on a weapon, and that's far from the cheapest way your regeneration can be beaten.

For thoughts on attaining invincibility, I redirect you to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?101587-D-amp-D-3-5-The-Emerald-Legion-Mass-Producing-Ikea-Tarrasques). You can also find very creative ways to kill people in D&D in that thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?462619-If-it-has-stats-we-can-kill-it-Adaptive-Evolution).

Also, vampires have Blood Drain (Ex), to which you are not immune, and can drain your constitution down to 0.

Eldariel
2017-06-13, 04:25 AM
Yes, epic spells are broken. However, simple Trollbane (Dungeonscape) overcomes any regeneration-based immortality. You should also include nonlethal immunity lest you be beat unconscious forever.

More efficient is persistent Delay Death and Beastland Ferocity [Spell Compendium] or simple Hide Life [Tome and Blood] cast once. No matter how much damage you take, you are fine and operational. Otherwise, Shapechange or Magic Jar/True Mind Switch + immunities gets you appropriate regeneration, Energy Immunity covers any weaknesses (though beware Searing Spell of Fire hurts you) and Favor of the Martyr makes you immune to nonlethal damaage. Same cocktail, different ingredients.

ben-zayb
2017-06-13, 04:55 AM
Yes, epic spells are broken. However, simple Trollbane (Dungeonscape) overcomes any regeneration-based immortality. You should also include nonlethal immunity lest you be beat unconscious forever.Trollbane is poison, which is easy to be immune against. You might want to tag Sertrous along so it can suppress poison immunity.

Necroticplague
2017-06-13, 05:06 AM
I was re-reading the epic level handbook, and I noticed something.

As a thought exercise...
1. Dispel Seed + Transform Seed = Instantaneous duration transformation (RAW examples clearly state this is true)
2. Transform Seed lets you retain all Extraordinary abilities, and lets you gain Extraordinary and Supernatural abilities.
3. Keep developing Epic Spells with 0 Spellcraft DC until you transform into every creature with an Extraordinary ability!

Now obviously I don't want to transform into every creature in the game, and since I got some time on my hands I've been trying to figure out how to become invincible.

1. Pit Fiend gives Regeneration that only receives damage from Good weapons and spells.
2. Solar gives Regeneration that only receives damage from Epic evil weapons and spells.
3. Adamantine Golem gives you Magic Immunity to all magical and supernatural effects.

1&2 together should make it so that it's impossible for me to receive lethal damage, and 3 should save me from all save-or-dies. I thought about Tarrasque but unlike Pit Fiend and Solar, it outright states there's a way to kill it, unless #3 protects me from it.

So with 3 epic spells of 0DC (although with like 15 day casting time each) or 2 epic spells if Tarrasque is involved, am I invincible? Did I miss something?Regeneration downgrades lethal to nonlethal. You'll still eventually fall unconscious, which will give them plenty of time to find an SR: no SoD to spam at you until you fail the save. Also, it's possibly to overcome /good and /evil at the same time (like, say, +6 holy Unholy gteatsword). You want to get either the Protean's or Tarrasque's regeneration (no weakness), then pick up immunity to nonlethal (easiest via the gheden's Dead Nerves ability).
And even then, the answer is 'no'. There's a lot of ways to kill you that aren't damage. There's negative levels, no SR SoD's, entirely physical SoD's (I think ToB has a few), ability damaging CON to 0, being subject to the execution rules, probably a few others that slip my mind.

The_Jette
2017-06-13, 09:17 AM
Regeneration downgrades lethal to nonlethal. You'll still eventually fall unconscious, which will give them plenty of time to find an SR: no SoD to spam at you until you fail the save. Also, it's possibly to overcome /good and /evil at the same time (like, say, +6 holy Unholy gteatsword). You want to get either the Protean's or Tarrasque's regeneration (no weakness), then pick up immunity to nonlethal (easiest via the gheden's Dead Nerves ability).
And even then, the answer is 'no'. There's a lot of ways to kill you that aren't damage. There's negative levels, no SR SoD's, entirely physical SoD's (I think ToB has a few), ability damaging CON to 0, being subject to the execution rules, probably a few others that slip my mind.

Drowning...

Gildedragon
2017-06-13, 09:25 AM
Well, I don't think 1&2 makes you immune to damage: as I see it, any +6 holy unholy silver weapon bypasses your regeneration. The holy and unholy weapon properties can be stacked on a weapon, and that's far from the cheapest way your regeneration can be beaten.

+1 Unholy Flametouched Iron <whatever> + Reserves of Strength-ed Greater Magic Weapon is cheaper.

If you're a wizard that got to Epic Spells... The best defense is not being around to be vulnerable in the first place.
As long as one can keep coming back from the dead indefinitely one is a-ok

RoboEmperor
2017-06-13, 10:11 AM
Revised plan.

1. Protean for Regeneration.
2. Half undead guy for dead nerves.
3. Adamantine Golem for magic Immunity.
4. Abomination to be immune to ability damage, energy drain, and ability drain.

I'm not familiar with coming back alive indefinitely, or SR:NO SoDs. Looking that up.

Gellhorn
2017-06-13, 11:48 AM
If you're looking for more things to be immune to, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?256950-3-5-The-Stuffy-Doll-Vs-the-Playground-(V-1-V-28)) is the playground trying to kill a doll that then adapts to the methods used (alas, not named Crawler).

martixy
2017-06-13, 05:36 PM
Regeneration downgrades lethal to nonlethal. You'll still eventually fall unconscious, which will give them plenty of time to find an SR: no SoD to spam at you until you fail the save. Also, it's possibly to overcome /good and /evil at the same time (like, say, +6 holy Unholy gteatsword). You want to get either the Protean's or Tarrasque's regeneration (no weakness), then pick up immunity to nonlethal (easiest via the gheden's Dead Nerves ability).

Where's that thread with the peasant immune to anything? Well, at least on the next round...
How many times did he die?

ben-zayb
2017-06-14, 02:50 AM
Where's that thread with the peasant immune to anything? Well, at least on the next round...
How many times did he die?

More than 60, IIRC. We also managed to solve hunger (for those who eat farm produce, at least) forever.

Maximum Carnage
2017-06-14, 09:32 AM
Nice, you broke your game!

RoboEmperor
2017-06-14, 05:59 PM
Nice, you broke your game!

I'm not actually doing this in a game :P

Goaty14
2017-06-18, 03:24 PM
Keep in mind that even if you become near-invincible, your character most likely isn't a heartless construct, and your DM (Despite being heavily frustrated) will use part of your background to kill you off.

emeraldstreak
2017-06-18, 04:13 PM
Also, don't confuse indestructible/imperishable with invincible. The former only makes for a sweet long-to-eternity term prisoner.

Anthrowhale
2017-06-18, 08:46 PM
You only need the Protean form, where you can take advantage of Alter Shape (Ex) to become nearly immune to everything. See the ExFighter (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265730-The-ExFighter) for details.

Looking at the Transform (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/transform.htm) seed, it looks like there may be a protean problem.
If the transformed creature doesn’t have the level or Hit Dice of its new likeness, it can only use the abilities of the creature at its own level or Hit Dice.

You can fix this by using the classic Zodar + Ocean Giant combination.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-18, 09:18 PM
Looking at the Transform (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/transform.htm) seed, it looks like there may be a protean problem.

You can fix this by using the classic Zodar + Ocean Giant combination.

That clause only affects abilities that rely on hitdie or levels. Unless you're saying a half hd Protean doesn't have that regeneration, I don't think that clause matters. I think its for players who transform into specific people with class levels. So like an epic cleric with a one level dip in wizard can't transform into a level 20 specific wizard and cast level 9 wizard spells.