PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5: What official deities offer the Time AND Luck Domains to Kobold worshippers?

Endarire
2017-06-13, 03:24 AM
EDIT: My backup position: What deities (preferably LN/TN/CN deities) offer the Trickery AND Luck domains? Thankee!

What official deities offer the Time AND Luck Domains to Kobold worshippers?

I haven't found any yet, but such may exist. Perhaps they even exist as a LN/TN/CN deity!

(This is for a Shadowcraft Mage. Luck is for Shadow miracles via the feat Arcane Disciple and Shadowcraft Mage shenanigans. Time is for Improved Initiative. Trickery is for class skills.)

Thankee!

noce
2017-06-13, 03:42 AM
What official deities offer the Time AND Luck Domains to Kobold worshippers?

I haven't found any yet, but such may exist. Perhaps they even exist as a LN/TN/CN deity!

Thankee!

None of my knowledge of any alignment.

thethird
2017-06-13, 03:55 AM
Sertrous offers what you need and more. Time AND Luck AND Trickery

But wait... there is more...

Any domain you want!

And if you worship Sertrous with all your effort you will also get 5 feats free of charge.

Inevitability
2017-06-13, 04:59 AM
Sertrous offers what you need and more. Time AND Luck AND Trickery

But wait... there is more...

Any domain you want!

And if you worship Sertrous with all your effort you will also get 5 feats free of charge.

Sertrous isn't a deity, though.

Darrin
2017-06-13, 07:22 AM
Sertrous isn't a deity, though.

I don't quite see that as a valid point if you still get the domains.

The Time domain is something of an oddball... it was introduced in 3.0 as part of the FRCS, so the only deities that actually have that domain in print are in the Forgotten Realms: Amaunator, Grumbar, and Labelas Enoreth. None of these deities have the Luck domain.

Typically, the Time domain should have been included in subsequent 3.5 sources, added to various deities where it fits their portfolio. You can see this in Complete Divine, where it added Celerity, Competition, Liberation, etc. Unfortunately, this never happened for Time, even when it's explicitly mentioned as part of the deity's established portfolio.

So you pretty much have to house-rule it into a deity that already has the Luck domain. Worshipping a pantheon (Greek, Asgardian, etc.) might work, where you might be able to say, "The pantheon includes all available domains, therefore I can pick any two domains, and I want them to be Time and Luck."

Or pick a deity that already has luck and the deity's description literally says they are in control of time, which would be... Istus, I think.

ShurikVch
2017-06-13, 08:39 AM
Chronepsis is draconic deity (thus fit for Kobold worshippers) with Time domain
Heretic of the Faith feat (Power of Faerūn) allow to swap domains - select the Luck domain

Endarire
2017-06-14, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the responses!

I'm leaning strongly toward Oghma (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Oghma) since he's TN, seemingly accepts every caster and has the Trickery and Luck and Travel domains. As a Cloistered Cleric1, I wanted Trickery for class skills. As a Shadowcraft Mage, I needed the Luck domain. I wanted the Time domain for Improved Initiative, but that's obtainable by other means.

If I'm only taking 1 Cleric level in a Shadowcraft Mage build, do you more recommend Travel or Luck as a domain since I intend to take Arcane Disciple (Luck) later for Shadow miracles?

Gusmo
2017-06-14, 02:41 AM
Wait, why is it you're taking the level of cleric? There are other ways to poach domain powers. Complete Champion lets you use your 5th/10th/15th/20th level wizard feats to nab domain powers. The Planar Handbook has the planar touchstone feat, which lets you nab any domain power and some ability to cast spells from that domain, too. And as mentioned, the heretic of the faith feat give you good wiggle room to add a domain to any deity.

Also, based on the fact that worshipers of Sertrous aren't banished to the wall of the faithless in FR, and that Sertrous is explicitly a valid choice for clerics, I'd say you have a very strong argument for Sertrous counting as a deity. Deity is a vague term that I don't believe is ever given a definition for the purpose of rules. Things like lesser, intermediate and greater deities are defined, and then there are overdeities, but the existence of those does not preclude the existence of other types of deities.

Endarire
2017-06-14, 06:46 PM
I did consider Sertrous as a means to accomplish this, but I very much want to avoid being [Evulz]-aligned. Sertrous is an Elder Evil (CE). Oghma fit my desires better as a TN deity (who is explicitly a deity, but thanks for the helpful arguments for Sertrous) who has the most important domains.

Cloistered Cleric1 offers the very handy extra skill points (and, with the proper domains, extra domain choices that grant more class skills) to qualify for Shadowcraft Mage sooner. The goal is White Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold Cloistered Cleric1/(Sorcerer1 if prudent)/Shadowcraft Mage5/Incantatrix10/SomethingX using Heighten Spell, Spell Focus: Illusion, and Metamagic School Focus: Illusion to qualify in terms of spells early. (Take silent image, ghost sound, and net of shadows to qualify spell-wise and use the Adaptation section to allow all races to enter.)

evedgebah
2017-06-14, 09:57 PM
Unless you're strict Faerun, many 3.X sources allow pantheon worship. Soverign Host, for example. The Dragon/Draconic Pantheon contains both Time and Luck through Chronepsis and Aasterinian.

Endarire
2017-06-15, 01:52 AM
How would Arcane Disciple work with pantheon worship, though?

Inevitability
2017-06-15, 01:59 AM
You don't have to be Evil to worship Sertrous. A CN servant of his who serves him because he's opposed to the current deity-worshipper power structure seems entirely possible.

Endarire
2017-06-16, 04:21 AM
Arcane Disciple demands my alignment = my deity's alignment.

How does Arcane Disciple work with pantheon worship?