PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me figure out my pally player3.5

finaldooms
2017-06-13, 04:11 AM
Hi yall!
Back with another question...im normally pretty lax about the whole falling paladin thing..so in this game i informed the pally player he doesnt have to be LG for pally ..i just want him to sometimes act like a pally ( stand up for the weak and so forth) which he loves that idea anyways so he. Said ok

Now for the most part he does great...hell he even refuses to loot humanoid bodies due to it feels like grave robbing..and he even said he dislikes slavery...

But there is the problem now...we have a rogue..who is pretty shady as a character who just went and bought a bunch of slaves ( he was planning to set them free but refuses to tell the party that)

The cleric tried to stop him and just said screw it, the wizard cares not one way or another...and the pally ( who i expected to be all stop now -.-) suddenly goes...oh he bought slaves. And that was it!!
He said he didnt want to cause party drama..even if he really disapproves of the slavery idea ( btw where tgey are its...legal to own slaves but there are still plenty of people who choose not to)

So im suddenly stumped..should i just ignore this since he doesnt wana " put the rogue in place" so to speak? Or do i go all..i gota penalize ya since you arw turning your back on your code/ honor here ( i gave multiple chances to stop this btw) ...what would yall recommend i do?

herceg
2017-06-13, 04:20 AM
I think the better question is why the player of the rogue incites drama needlessly instead of telling the group about his intent.

finaldooms
2017-06-13, 04:29 AM
Fair point..i assume he likes to be a **** ( plus he was trying to create aome roleplay potential..cause so far its been pretty much one word and done when i give them plenty of options) we play with flaws being a bit more serious so the inattitive cleric has not noticed the rogue being ambushed by some rats and a wererat when he decided he didnt want to wait the hour and pay the small fee to get in o a strip club where a npc they needed to talk to might be...so he is probly remake his stupid half-dragon monk ( stupid as in very poorly made)
Edit: unless the wizard does,something,to save him..cause apprently im bad at dealing with even a halfway decent spelcaster who knows the value of debuffing

herceg
2017-06-13, 05:25 AM
Fair point..i assume he likes to be a **** ( plus he was trying to create some roleplay potential..

That kinda reminds me of this comic though:

http://www.superstupor.com/sust12282010.shtml

finaldooms
2017-06-13, 06:18 AM
That kinda reminds me of this comic though:

http://www.superstupor.com/sust12282010.shtml

That...actually fits really well ....its fine ..the contract he signed for the slaves statea he is responsible for all of their actions anyways...so your free! ( no means to support ones self so turns to bandits ) woops

Darrin
2017-06-13, 06:46 AM
It sounds like you want the players to make decisions based on a moral or ethical code, with the idea that there are consequences to certain actions.

That way madness lies. And much butthurt.

Players belly up to the table for a variety of different reasons. Very, very few of them sit down to game with the idea that they want to explore the moral and ethical consequences of their behavior. If that's the sort of game you want to run, then I'd start the next session with an OOC discussion and ask them if that's what they want, and proceed accordingly. Odds are good that most players only want the rough outlines of a morality system in their game (paladins good, slavery bad, cast "detect evil" to figure out the grey areas), and the rogue is mostly interested in playing dominance games against the other players because he enjoys f***ing with people's heads.

So you can probably solve some of these issues by having a discussion with the players about what they expect to get out of the game. Then tell the paladin, "I have some issues with your character's moral code if you think casual slavery is ok," and tell the rogue, "It's assumed as part of the social contract in this group that you don't f*** with the players unless you have a really, really good reason. Brush up on Wheaton's Law, please, and dial down the d-bag factor."