PDA

View Full Version : Ashworth's game

Eric Scott
2017-06-13, 11:40 AM
You awake in your room just as you do any other day. Then you notice out of the corner of your eye the shadow of the table in your room move and shift into the rough shape of a humanoid, something that you've grown quite used to by now. It then speaks in its deep growling echo of a voice, Awake finally, your next target is an intrepid rogue that is planning to sneak into the temple Asmodeus this evening and steal an object of great wealth and power, this item is not to be remove from the temple. You may deal with this however you like, though it must be done while he is within the temple. I'm sure you can figure out why this is important. The shadowy being then steps back shifting back into the shadow.

While it is called the temple of Asmodeus, it is not just a temple of Asmodeus, it actually contains small temples of most known Gods, Devil Lords and Demon Princes. It was originally funded and built by the cult of Asmodeus, though for a price other beings could be worshiped. Over time it grew and prospered taking a tithe from the tithe of the other churches it contained, eventually being one of the largest buildings in the city. The main reason the King has little problem with devil and demon worshipers in his land is that they always pay their taxes and then some, to have access to the prisoners to use for their sacrifices, and the King agrees to that only because "What worse punishment could you have then be devoured by a devil or be engulfed in eternal hellfire." Some Gods may frown upon such activity, though they are willing to over look it as everyone more or less gets along and there is yet cause to start a Divine War.

fire_insideout
2017-06-13, 04:04 PM
As the figure retreats back to wherever it came from Ashworth sits up and rubs his eyes lazily. He still hadn't figured out what grand scheme the shadowy figure pursued, but he knew better than to disobey when he was given a task. He had risked too much, sacrificed too much to give up his powers because he refused the shadows' wishes.
Better get going then, looks like it'll be a busy day He thinks as he rolls out of his narrow bed and starts getting dressed.

It doesn't take long, he's done this so many times and in so many situations he can do it blindfolded. The armor is like a second skin, hidden beneath the simple, brown clothes of a everyday worker. His weapons, also hidden, are a comforting weight as he grabs his backpack and heads out the door. The apartment is small but serviceable, and best of all; it's inconspicuous. There were dozens of these in just this building alone and only the gods themselves, and maybe the tax collectors, knew how many more in the entire city.

Time to find out what this thief is hunting for...

[roll0]: Does Ashworth know of any items kept within the temple of Asmodeus corresponding to the shadow's description?
If it's morning and he has time, Ashworth will spend a few hours gathering information around the temple and see if he can find any further clues. [roll1] hours. [roll2]
(I remembered that I had forgotten to add synergy skill bonuses, so that's why he has a few more misc bonuses to his skills)

Eric Scott
2017-06-13, 04:47 PM
You know that this temple may be the largest on this continent, and so would likely have a sizable collection of various magic items either commonly used by the acolytes of the various gods or in someway associated with the gods. Many are valuable, some are powerful.

You collect some information on a couple of items known to be found there and a rumor of something that could be there. One of things you've found out that is there is vats of powerful outsider blood; angel, devil, and demon alike. The other thing is a Scythe said to be used by Death, it's black blade always dripping blood, said to be able to kill anything with a single swing. The thing rumored to be there is the Hand of Vecna.

fire_insideout
2017-06-14, 03:01 AM
The Hand of Vecna... If this thief is after remnants of the Chained God he must be either extremely skilled or utterly mad. Perhaps both.
The revelation of the rogue's possible goal is slightly disconcerting to the assassin. The gods had a way of punishing those who got in their way and where one deity was involved more usually waited in the wings.

But he had accepted the contract and he would finish it.
First: find where the prey will be. That one he had down already. Second: prepare the ambush, never fight fair. It's a hunt, not a duel. That was next on his list and to do that he needed to get into the temple proper. The little gnome heads off towards the temple, stopping to buy breakfast on the way.

How do you want to handle food and such, subtract a fixed amount for rent and food each week?

Eric Scott
2017-06-14, 04:06 AM
As you approach the temple you are greeted by an unnaturally almost unearthly beautiful gnome, Good morning cutie, how might I help you? she says with an enchantingly seductive tone, punctuated with a little giggle.

Given your description of the apartment, I'd say it'd be 5 SP/week. Food varies a bit depending on where it's gotten from and the quality.
If it was gotten from the tavern next to your apartment it'd be, Poor: 3 SP, Common: 5 SP, Good: 7 SP. If from one of the lesser establishments -2 SP for the levels of quality, if from one of the better establishments up to +3 GP.

fire_insideout
2017-06-14, 06:30 AM
Blushing Ashworth manages to stammer forth a answer.
"Ah. Not much today, actually. I'm just visiting the temple..."
He bows slightly, trying to hide his staring eyes.
"Thanks for asking though." He smiles sheepishly. While he might be experienced beyond his years in the arts of hunting and killing the young gnome has had few encounters of the romantic kind and calling him a novice when it comes to flirting would be quite accurate.

Eric Scott
2017-06-14, 11:40 AM
Oh, are you sure? We at the temple try to make sure everyone has the best experience here as possible. She giggles and gives you a wink, That way you always will come back to give money to the gods.

You then feel a slight scratching in your mind, (Will Save)
You can also roll Knowledge (The Planes), if you'd like.

fire_insideout
2017-06-14, 01:38 PM
Ashworth's face reddens even more at the woman's suggestion.
"Ah, thank you, but I don't know..." He looks around, trying to find a way out of the uncomfortable situation he's found himself in.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Eric Scott
2017-06-14, 03:19 PM
You manage to resist the scratching at your mind. Which upon the beautiful gnome noticing that, she says slightly surprised, You resisted it,
eh? Well, must have quite the will to resist my charms. She sighs, Very well then, carry on with your visit then if there really is nothing I can do for you. she say with a pout. She then turns her attention away from you to look for the next visitor to the temple, and upon seeing an elf walking towards the temple she smiles and shifts form to be an unnaturally almost unearthly beautiful elf and takes a couple steps towards him to greet him.

fire_insideout
2017-06-15, 03:01 AM
As the scratching on his mind fades Ashworth releases a breath he was not aware he was holding. Watching the unearthly beauty walk off he sighs.
Perhaps I should have said yes? He hesitates for a moment, considering all the possible things that might come from following his urges. Then, as the temptress spots a new target and changes shape he shudders. Not all predators hunt like I do...

Having cleared his head from the intrusion the assassin heads towards the temple doors, wishing silently that no more of the disturbingly beautiful creatures will cross his path.

That was one lucky save... Ashworth will enter the temple unless something happens before then.

What time of day is it?

Eric Scott
2017-06-15, 04:08 AM
It's about 10:30 AM as you step into the temple. You find yourself in a large atrium, several doors on the walls leading to other rooms. A few beings are in this room, 2 with humanoid upper-halves and their lower-halves of horses, a small winged humanoid, and a snake with the upper half of a humanoid.

If you had of failed the save, she would have just gotten you to say more about your visit, which god you were there to worship, helped you find your way around if need be. She is one of a few creatures that work as greeters for the temple.

fire_insideout
2017-06-15, 07:08 AM
Now, where would I store the hand of a deity if I had one... Ashworth pauses inside the doors a moment, mentally preparing a map of the temple. Having no more information he walks over to the winged creature and holds up a hand in greeting.
"Hello. Sorry, do you have a moment? I'm new here, is there a map of this place somewhere?"

Well, oups... I thought she was a succubus trying to enslave Ashworth :smalltongue:

Eric Scott
2017-06-15, 11:38 AM
The winged being looks you over, and then sneers Too good to be Good? He pauses for a moment then sighs, No, there is no map to this place. Though it is relatively easy to find your way around, what with the signs and the grouping of gods with similar tastes.

Well... I mean... She was a Succubus. :smallamused:

fire_insideout
2017-06-16, 02:56 AM
The somewhat hostile reaction has Ashworth raising an eyebrow. "You have your morals, I have mine. As long as our paths don't cross in a unfriendly manner that should not be a issue." His eyes scan the creature, sizing it up in case of a confrontation. "I thank you for your help, although I would recommend you to use a less contemptuous tone next time. It is not very polite." With that the assassin bows slightly, while keeping his eyes on the creature at all times. Then, having no more to say he heads off to find something that might point towards a shrine of Vecna.

[roll0] to find out what the winged creature is.
Speaking of creatures, does Ashworth recognise any of the races present without a knowledge check, or are they rarely seen within the city?

Eric Scott
2017-06-16, 11:21 AM
You wander your way into the large room that is the Evil wing. Finding creatures that normally aren't on this plane, a large red horned creature wreathed in flame and using its wings as a grotesque cloak, A large hulking grey beast of a creature that seems eager for a fight, and other assorted beings most likely from the lower planes. You also see several humans, orcs, drow, and various other races that are more common to this plane. Along the walls of the room are doors with signs next to them each with a different Evil entity's name or moniker, Gruumsh, Lolth, Hextor, Bel, Vecna, ect.

Of the previous room, you would recognize the half horse half humanoids as Centaur, which makes it stand to reason that the small winged being might have been a Pixie, as they are known to be a little hostile to Evil beings. Luckily you are in a Holy/Unholy place and so fighting is frowned upon, unless both parties agree to it before it begins and they agree to avoid collateral damage. Though the snake-person is rarely seen in the city.

fire_insideout
2017-06-17, 06:25 PM
Realising that he might be a bit out of his depth Ashworth hugs the wall, trying to look inconspicuous as he heads towards the door with Vecna's sign on it. Be sure of yourself nut not challenging. Understand your place in the world. Survive to hunt another day. Repeating the advice his father passed on to him as a child calms his nerves to some extent and he can feel his muscles in his legs and arms relaxing slightly, allowing smoother movement. Others might look intimidating but it is the capacity to kill that counts. Nothing else.

Eric Scott
2017-06-17, 06:57 PM
You are for the most part ignored, aside from one of the Orcs saying Look, a gnome... always so skittish and afraid. He laughs and goes back to ignoring you.

As you enter Vecna's room you notice that the room is completely dark aside from the lone brazier in the back containing a purple flame illuminating the unholy symbol of Vecna, an eye in the palm of a left hand. You can't see through the rest of the darkness in the room.

fire_insideout
2017-06-19, 04:42 AM
Belonging to a race which can naturally see in the dark, the sudden lack of vision is jarring to Ashworth. Even though his own powers allows him to create patches of darkness he has never before experienced a darkness as complete as this. Of course, the god of secrets will hide everything from those who are not initiated. I wonder how the thief is planning on finding the hand, if it is even here.
The assassin approaches the brazier slowly, for the moment relying more on his ears than any other sense.
"Who serves the Arch-Lich here?" He asks quietly as he approaches the purple flame.

[roll0]

Eric Scott
2017-06-19, 10:29 AM
You hear the creaking of bones as a man whose lower half is skeletal steps out of the darkness, That depends on what you consider serving. If you mean who here keeps secrets, that could be any number of individuals. If you simply mean who here worships The Whispered One, the answer is the same, though I am talking to you so I do hope that is sufficient for you.

You can hear some shuffling noises in the darkness, though you can safely say that most aren't real.

fire_insideout
2017-06-20, 09:35 AM
Ashworth nods curtly to the skeleton-man, never taking his eyes off the creature. Too often politeness caused carelessness, as if being civilised meant that you never would receive a knife in your back.
"Perhaps, we shall see if it is enough. I have a secret of my own, one I believe the Arch-Lich would not like to see revealed." The gnome pauses, he had heard that it was dangerous to reveal too much to the servants of Vecna, as they could view truth and honesty as weakness. While he did suspect that they shared a common goal in stopping the rogue, he could not speak outright. Not yet at least.

Eric Scott
2017-06-20, 11:07 AM
The man smiles, Is that so? Are you sure he doesn't want this supposed secret revealed? Might it truly be a gambit to further his cause? He laughs, I know not, nor do I think you do... The Maimed Lord works in mysterious ways and rarely tells us, his followers, quite what his plan is.

fire_insideout
2017-06-21, 03:10 PM
Ashworth nods as the creature finishes. "Indeed. Pretending to know, truly, what the god of secrets is plotting is folly. All a mortal can do is to do what he thinks is needed of him." He pauses, weighing his next words.
"If you, like the Arch-lich, is a collector of secrets perhaps we can trade you and I. I seek to know all the ways in and out of the temple, what is your price for that knowledge?"

Eric Scott
2017-06-21, 06:04 PM
Good you do understand how this works. He says smirking, The price of that knowledge is free if you choose to seek it out yourself, though since you are inquiring with me, I can give you this information at the cost of why you seek the information. What do you seek this knowledge for? He puts his hand on his chin in a pondering manner.

fire_insideout
2017-06-23, 03:57 PM
"I could seek it on my own, but asking the Lord of Hidden Knowledge's servants seem to be a faster way of finding the more... obscure ways of entering." He smiles a wide grin. "As for why... There is a thief coming to the temple. I want to meet this thief."

Eric Scott
2017-06-23, 08:47 PM
The man smiles, A thief, eh? I'd heard of a few trying to steal from this temple before... He chuckles, They never took anything though, rather they left something... If you catch my drift. He shrugs, But, I shall hold my end of the bargain. He turns away walking into the darkness, you hear the sound of parchment being taken out and then the sound of a quill scribbling away.

That should about do it. He says as he returns from the darkness and hands you a map of the temple with all the exits and entrances labeled and with a few notes as to how to get in or out undetected. Perhaps I've given more information than necessary but, I've got a good feeling about this. Besides, should anything happen to go missing, I've got someone I can blame. He finishes with a smirk.

Was there anything that you needed?

fire_insideout
2017-06-26, 09:32 AM
Ashworth bows again, deeper this time, as the parchment is handed over, but his eyes remain fixed on the creature. "My thanks. I hope to be able to convince our thief to refrain from his planned activities." He replies with a vicious smile and tucks away the parchment inside his worker's clothes.
"I have what I need for now. Unless you have any last advice on how to find someone who does not want to be found within these walls I will take my leave."

Sorry for the slow posting the last few days, we celebrated midsummer last Friday here in Sweden and entertaining my relatives took a lot of time... Hope you had a nice weekend!

Eric Scott
2017-06-26, 12:42 PM
He laughs, Finding someone whom does not wish to be found? That is a specialty of Vecnas, alas the Dying King seem to deign such information to be something I need not. He shrugs, If you are to take your leave then, I wish you a good day and hope that death does not find you too soon, that would be truly unfortunate.

Don't worry about it, just glad you didn't die or something. My weekend was acceptable.

fire_insideout
2017-06-28, 11:37 AM
"I appreciate your concern... And your help." The reply is somewhat sarcastic, but lined with a tone of genuine gratitude. The gnome slowly retreats from the room and returns to the previous hall to study the parchment in more detail. His goal is to explore the rest of the temple before nightfall without disturbing the other worshippers if possible.
Learn the lay of the land. Gain every tactical advantage you can.

Ashworth will continue to explore the temple, avoiding confrontations if possible. I think we can skip the walking in corridors,
feel free to roll any perception checks needed :smallwink:

Eric Scott
2017-06-28, 01:56 PM
As you explore the temple you see many beings and creatures, some you know some you don't. Winged beings that glow with a holy light, winged beings engulfed in hellish flames, massive winged lizards of various colors, beings that seem to be half arachnid, and various others, all come to pay homage to their respective deity. As you pass them some look at you with disdain, others look at you with concern or interest, though they all leave you alone for they understand that anyone is allowed here, that all are welcome, that no one need be alone or left to suffer.

You find all of the entrances and exits marked on the map, though at the more civilian entrances and exits you always see an unnaturally almost unearthly beautiful being near by, which reminds you of your encounter with the Succubus on your way in. The less civilian entrances and exits, such as the sewers, open windows and the massive "sky light" dragon entrance all seem to be unguarded, though its possible there is more there than meets the eye. As you look at them a little closer you notice just the faintest distortion of the light in the area, you immediately know that there is something hidden there and not just hidden but hidden and invisible.

Unless you'd like to interact with any of the other beings or the hidden invisible things, we can just time skip to the evening, if you'd like.

fire_insideout
2017-07-03, 03:50 PM
The assassin ignores the other creatures in the temple for now. He has little time in forging any connection that might be useful tonight and there are more important things to do. Such as investigating strange, and possibly magic, disturbances.
A warning, or a trap? Perhaps both? No expert in magic the gnome uses whatever skills he has and tries to make sense of the distortions.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Eric Scott
2017-07-03, 08:38 PM
You can just barely see what appears to be the dim outline of a cloud, and can hear the faint sound of whirling air from the area of the distortion. Your best guess would suggest that it's an air elemental of some sort. It isn't moving around, it just sits there as if guarding the entrance.

fire_insideout
2017-07-05, 10:05 AM
That could turn out to be useful... Later.
Having finished his exploration of the temple for now Ashworth heads back to the main area to wait for the night to come.

Skipping ahead to the evening...

Eric Scott
2017-07-05, 01:04 PM
As the sun begins to set, many individuals are seen leaving the temple though there are a few who enter the temple at this time. No one comes to tell you that the temple is closing or that you have to leave. The temple gets much quieter as night approaches, though it was already quite quiet to begin with, its almost unnerving. As the sun finally drops below the horizon, there is the sound of rushing wind for a couple of seconds followed by what appear to be torches lighting up through out the temple. You can't help but notice there are more "nocturnal" beings in the temple now, such as Drow, Vampires, and cultists.

fire_insideout
2017-07-06, 09:36 AM
Deciding that he'd rather not run into any trouble with the new visitors Ashworth stays in the shadows as he makes his way back to the entrance to Vecna's shrine.
Now to find our thief. My benefactor didn't exactly give me much to go on and their powers are better at hiding than finding hidden things... And what if I'm wrong. Perhaps the Hand is not here after all. Or perhaps not within the shrine at all. But there are too many variables, this is my best chance.
The assassin crouches down in a shadowy spot and waits patiently; the hunter waiting for his prey.

[roll0]

Eric Scott
2017-07-06, 02:01 PM
Some of the creatures in the area are aware of your presence and look at you for a moment but otherwise pay you no mind, at least for now. You can see one individual walk into the area, the other creatures all look at this individual with anger in their eyes as if the individual had wronged them a great many times in the past, yet they don't act upon the anger. The individual is unfazed by the stares and is clearly headed towards Vecna's shrine.

Might this individual be your target? It certainly is possible, you haven't seen anyone else go even close to Vecna's shrine. Though it is possible the target is someone else...

fire_insideout
2017-07-10, 09:25 AM
Ashworth watches the new arrival with some interest. The reactions caused by the appearance of this figure was certainly intriguing and somewhat incriminating, although he suspected rivalries among the shadier occupants were to be expected. Nonetheless the assassin doesn't have much else to go on.
Do not doubt - act. He recites silently and focuses his mind, calling the shadows to hide him. By now it is a familiar action, in his mind Ashworth simply reaches out and wraps the shadow-substance present in the neighbouring dimension around him, but he remembers when it was difficult, when he could only hold them for but a moment. Now the darkness comes at his call and stays long after he has ceased focusing. As he fades from view a feeling of safety settles and he moves quickly towards Vecna's shrine, hoping to follow the stranger inside, all the while trying to detect any dangers.

Swift action: Disappear (invisible for 8 minutes)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Eric Scott
2017-07-10, 02:18 PM
As you enter, you see the individual kneeling in front of the purple flame seemingly in prayer, and the half skeletal man step out from the shadows to greet the individual.

Come to pay the Maimed Lord your respects? All are welcome here, though I can't say I've seen you around here before... The half skeletal man says before he begins to slowly float up into the air, What, what is this? The individual replies Where is it?, Wh... Where is what?, Do not think me a fool! The hand, Where?, I haven't a clue, it isn't here though that I know., Hmm... You speak the truth, or rather what you think to be the truth... Enough time wasted. And with that the half skeletal man is sent flying through the air and off in to the darkness with a thud as he impacts the wall. It IS here an I WILL find it... the individual says as he takes on a pose clearly necessary for some sort of magic.

fire_insideout
2017-07-14, 01:04 PM
Attacking someone here... Excellent, an excuse for me to intervene! Ashworth smiles wickedly (although invisibly) as the intruder reacts with violence to the skeletal creature's denial. And he searches for the hand. This must be my target!

The assassin crouches into a low combat stance, his body creeping even closer to the floor allowing him to move fast and unseen. His right hand reaches inside his peasant's garb and releases Ebon Reaper from its resting place.
"What is a soul, worth nothing but ashes." It's a harsh, tense whisper, and as the old hunter's saying creeps through the air Ashworth jumps through the ether and appears in view only a few feet from the spellcaster. The Ebon Reaper lashes out towards its target, the chain making a slicing noise through the air, and as soon as the attack is complete the gnome once again flickers away from sight only to reappear further away in the dark room.
Now to see if he needs more, or if it is finished...

First off, I completely forgot to roll HP... :smallredface: so here it is: [roll0]
Swift action: Enter stance Way of the unseen: Movement speed increase by 10, initator level to Hide and move silently (competence), no penalty to hide or move silently when moving up to running speed.

Move action: Draw Ebon Reaper, and if needed, move within 50 ft. of the opponent.

Standard action: Expend Flickering strike: As a standard action, teleport up to movement speed, make a attack (against flat-footed AC), teleport up to movement speed w.o provoking AOO's.
1st teleport: Teleport to within 10. ft of the opponent.
[roll1] - on hit: [roll2], [roll3] (precision damage), [roll4]
2nd teleport: Teleport 40 ft. away, or as far as possible if the room is smaller.

HP: 51
AC: 18 (touch 16, ff 15)
To hit: +14/+9
Saves (Fort, Ref, Will): 4, 9, 6
Movement speed: 40 ft. (30 + 10 from stance)
Miss chance: 25%

Maneuvers readied:
Veiled Stab
Flicker Strike [CM] [B](expended)
Blackened Heart Focus [BL]
Half-Gone [CM]
Twisting Fang [BL]

Eric Scott
2017-07-14, 02:33 PM
The individual is knocked out of their stance and stumbles 5 ft forward out of the pain of the unexpected attack, then turns around to face to direction the attack came from. What was that? A new defense to this place? He then shouts Show yourself! An orb of roiling acid forms in the individuals left hand, his right hand clenched in a fist. Who dares to stand in the way of Inogna?

One of the large flame wreathed creatures from the hall outside steps into the room.

Just to be clear, you won't likely kill Inogna, at least not at this time. All your mission says is that you have to make sure he doesn't get the hand at this time. Though I certainly won't stop you from trying to or even succeeding in killing him.

fire_insideout
2017-07-25, 09:12 AM
Talvas reels in the Ebon Reaper with a satisfied smile, the first attack had been a success. Once again gathers the shadows around him and as he does his smile turns into a small frown. Not only is his target still standing, almost as if he had not struck at all, but another being has disrupted his plans. As the flaming creature appears in the doorway he shrinks further back into the room.
An ally? Or unexpected reinforcements? The assassin remains passive, waiting for Inogna or the new arrival to act first.

Swift action: Disappear 8 minutes (6 uses left for the day)

Maneuvers readied:
Veiled Stab
Blackened Heart Focus [BL]
Half-Gone [CM]
Twisting Fang [BL]

Eric Scott
2017-07-25, 12:30 PM
The flame wreathed creature sees Inogna and frowns, Inogna. What DO you think you are doing? Yelling, clearly wielding magic and all in Vecna's shrine. You should be ashamed, though I suppose you don't feel shame, do you? More wish to stand in my way? So be it. All shall fall, whether now or when They come, it truly does not matter. Stand in your way? I do not plan on standing in your way. The flame wreathed creature then launches a glowing pea-sized bead and four 2-foot-diameter spheres at Inogna, they all connect and erupt with 5 loud booms and into a large amount of fire. The sudden light in the darkness is blinding for a moment, though when you can see again, you can see Inogna still standing and much worse for wear and radiating light in a 60 ft radius. The flame wreathed creature also looks worse for wear as half its body has been burnt with acid. Still... standing? Well... that is... Regretting your decision to step in here and be the "good" guy now aren't you?

fire_insideout
2017-07-26, 06:24 AM
Well... This is certainly no ordinary rogue I am facing. Dangerous, deadly. This was not expected. Ashworth's head fills with doubt, stratagems and thoughts of cautionary retreat. It is rare that the hunter has to admit defeat to a prey, but sometimes it happens.
Although, I still have a few tricks left...
With that thought still in his mind the assassin surges forward, a shadow among shadows, his blade leading the way. The Ebon Reaper arches through the air.

Move action: Move to within melee range (10 ft.) [roll0], [roll1]

Standard action: Twisting fang - Melee attack which does +4d8 damage and increases the crit range of the weapon with +1.
[roll2], [roll3] (extra damage from Deathly Precision), [roll4], [roll5], [roll6]

Should Ashworth be attacked during the enemy turn he'll use Half-Gone as an immediate action to turn incorporeal for the duration of the attack if he succeeds in a Hide vs. Perception check (resolve the attack against the character as normal for striking an incorporeal target).
In case it is needed: [roll7]

Maneuvers readied:
Veiled Stab
Blackened Heart Focus
Half-Gone [CM]
Twisting Fang [BL] [B](expended)

Eric Scott
2017-07-26, 02:43 PM
H.. How? Inogna says after being hit by you and getting to see you. Who... What are you? The light he had been radiating fades and as it completely disappears he begins fading away too, Fine, the Hand isn't that necessary yet anyway... And with that he completely disappears with a small 'pop'.

Huh... Good job small one, you have done much better than the many who have tried to stand up to Inogna in the past. You also saved me from imminent demise, even if only momentarily and not purposefully. Thank you small one. The flame wreathed creature says before quickly moving out of the room seemingly to find a healer.

You hear a groan from off in the darkness around where the half skeletal man was thrown.

fire_insideout
2017-07-27, 04:26 AM
"Glad to be of service, flaming one." Ashworth replies to the creature as it returns to the outer chamber.
"This Inogna seems to be known and respected here. That is troubling, dangerous." The gnome gathers up the chain of his weapons with well-practiced motions and hides it once again beneath his simple clothes before moving towards where the skeletal creature landed.
"You, worshipper of the Arch-Lich, I have some questions for you."

Eric Scott
2017-07-27, 02:55 PM
You find him reattaching his left leg, once he is done he stands and says, Yes... I imagine you would, you were after a thief but found something much worse... Though you survived and they ran away, and without the hand to boot. The least I can do is try to answer a few questions. He then hobbles back over to the purple flame and looks into it. Ask what you will.

fire_insideout
2017-07-28, 09:43 AM
Slightly amused and disturbed at the same time by the skeleton's casual reattachment of his limb Ashworth follows close behind towards the altar.
"Thanks." He pauses for a moment, staring into the purple flame. "Let's start with Inogna. Who is he and why would he be after the hand?" The assassin looks over his shoulder, towards the door. "And who was that flaming creature that Inogna almost disposed of?"

Eric Scott
2017-07-28, 12:03 PM
Well... Inogna used to be a loyal member of this very congregation, though at that time he was human and his name was Archibald, that was before he came across a book that is forbidden. You might know it as The Book of the Dead, though that is that is because humans like to spread their misinformation and no not the true meaning of the true Necronomicon. Reading it twists and corrupts the mind in a way that is beyond Evil as it contains an account of the Old Ones, their history, and the means for summoning them. These Elder Evils have not been unleashed in a great many years, none of the beings of this plane would remember such an event, though it's possible they may have books describing it. Beings of other planes, ones that live until they are killed, might have individuals whom were around for it. As for why he's after the hand, either he seeks to weaken the resistance of the Gods or he needs the hand to summon an Old One, I haven't read the book so I can only speculate. Ah, and the 'flaming creature' as you put it, he is a Pit Fiend, one of the highest ranked beings of the Hells. His name specifically is Gregor, or rather that is the name he chooses for simplicity for the common folk and not his actual or true name. He has a history with Archibald, and therefore Inogna. The half skeletal man then sighs, And because you're likely wondering, Gregor and the others; the devils, demons, angels and such, they are all here at the behest of their patrons to ensure the followers are safe and well taken care of and to avoid conflict. It is one of the highest posts available to them, other than being at their patrons side or participating in the Blood War. He then steps back from the purple flame and turns to face you, I imagine that information is satisfactory for now, yes?

fire_insideout
2017-07-29, 03:45 PM
The more the servant of Vecna reveals the more unsure Talvas' expression becomes. He is a great hunter, among the best in the city, but standing against those who would challenge the gods? The gnome suddenly feels a lot smaller than even his already short frame.
"I... I." He stammers before continuing. "As you said." He finally manages to control his voice. "I expected a ordinary thief, perhaps one with magical trinkets. Not a servant of terrible powers, bent on weakening the gods themselves. I did not expect to face someone who can dismiss a pit fiend with the flick of his hand." He pauses. "I will need some time to process this information."

Thanks for the game so far! I'm really enjoying it, although I know my posting's been super slow the last few weeks. Things have been hectic at work since I had a ton of things to clear up before I went on vacation.

I'll be hiking the entire next week, so I won't be able to post, but once I'm back I expect my posting to be a lot more regular.

Thanks again!

Eric Scott
2017-07-29, 06:11 PM
But of course. Though try not to think about it too much. You've already done much more than one would have expected, and while it certainly is something that could affect your life and the lives of everyone else, stopping Inogna from summoning the Old Ones is not your duty or responsibility. That said, do not let your guard down. Inogna now knows of your existence and your willingness to stand between him and his goals, and that you are quite capable at in the very least being quite the nuisance for him, so he is likely to try to dispose of you. He pauses for a moment then reaches into the flames and pulls out an amulet. It would seem that The Master of All That Is Secret and Hidden wishes to impart a gift upon you for your services on this eve, an a lovely gift it is. It makes it so that no amount of divination can detect you, even the gods would have difficulty pinpointing your exact location. Though, alas, if one sufficiently trained in the art of Truenaming were to know or discover your Truename they may be able to find you. He then hands you the amulet. On the bright side, it can't be taken from you once you put it on.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Don't worry about the slow posting, it's given me plenty of time to think about what to do and where to go next with this.

No problem, if you're having fun then so am I.

Also, add the amulet to your sheet when you have time to.

Amulet of Vecna's Favor: Immune to all Divination's, aside from Deity and Truenaming. Can only be removed if truly willing (IE. Even if unconscious, it can't be removed).

fire_insideout
2017-08-07, 08:59 AM
Ashworth accepts the amulet with a gracious nod. Although he has just made a very powerful enemy, having helped a god always counts for something and the amulet would be of great help to him, not only to avoid Inogna but also for avoiding detection in general.
"The Arch-Lich is generous it seems. This is a wonderful gift. My thanks to you and your master."
The amulet feels slightly cold to the touch and the gnome waits a while to see if he feels any different with it hanging from his neck. After a brief pause he looks back at the skeleton.
"I believe that my work here is finished. Should you or my master ever have the need for me again I'm sure you will find me. Thank you for your assistance this day." Ashworth bows slightly, never taking his eyes of the creature, before turning and leaving out the door.

And I'm back!

Great post to come back to as well :smallbiggrin:

Eric Scott
2017-08-07, 12:18 PM
As you exit into the hall there is a distinctive sound, as a few of the devils and demons in the hall are clapping. I was not sure why were sneaking in there after Inogna but, you have helped prevent Gregor's demise for the time being. Well done. Says on of the devils. Yes, well done, you saved a devil... Oh how joyous, you truly must be of good heart. One of the demon says, dripping with sarcasm. Though yes, to survive an encounter with Inogna, that is cause for celebration. Even if you've only survived for now.

fire_insideout
2017-08-09, 10:27 AM
Keep it cool Talvas, don't let them unnerve you! The gnome manages a somewhat cocky smile.
"I did my job, as I always do. Inogna happened to be my target and Gregor interfered. He's lucky he survived, although I guess he owes me a favor now. Let him know that I will come collecting one day."

With that said the assassin hurries out of the building, eager to get away from the spotlight and any arcane revenge Inogna might be sending after him. He takes a long and winding path, including some sudden teleportations up and down the rooftops to avoid getting followed, on his way back to Cassiel's tavern for a glass of wine to calm his nerves and some food.

If needed: [roll0]

Eric Scott
2017-08-09, 01:16 PM
You make it back to the tavern with no troubles. As you enter Cassiel sees you and remarks, Ah, Liam, haven't seen you since this morning. Work keeping you busy, is it? He ends with a chuckle, and then brings you your glass of wine and food

fire_insideout
2017-08-09, 03:00 PM
Ashworth nods in gratitude as the innkeeper comes out with his order. Cassiel wasn't the best cook in the city, but the prices were fair and his stews and pies were more than good enough for the gnome.
"Ah, thank you Cassiel. It's always a pleasure to come here after a long day and today was longer than most."
The gnome sips the wine, closes his eyes and sighs audibly.
"You made a fine choice when you opened this inn my friend." Another sip and then Ashworth raises an eyebrow.
"So... Got any juicy rumours for me while I eat?" He asks with a grin.

Eric Scott
2017-08-09, 05:13 PM
I've heard a couple rumors today. He says then takes a seat and leans in closer and whispers. I heard that the princess has been wandering around the city under disguise, I don't know if I believe it but, she does seem like a good person that might want to see what her people need. I also heard that a prince from a nearby kingdom is to be coming soon, not sure which kingdom. There also was a couple of murders today, apparently no one saw anything and there was no evidence to be found, which isn't uncommon but is a bit concerning that the number of killings has been on the rise lately. He then stands back up. Other than that the rumor mill has been rather quiet today.

fire_insideout
2017-08-11, 12:01 AM
Ashworth rolls his eyes as Cassiel retells the first two rumors.
"Royalty, gods. Do they ever do anything without making a mess out of it?" He smiles and winks to the barkeep. Then his smile disappears.
"Murders? Today? I had no idea, close by? It has been a lot going on lately, it's... unexpected." He takes a larger sip from his cup.
"But your wine is excellent, as always!"

Eric Scott
2017-08-11, 12:26 AM
Aye, 3 murders today... One was kind of close by, over in the industrial area. One was in the markets up near the castle. The other was a block away from the temple. He sighs. But, I'm alive, my family lives and you my best customer are alive. Dangerous times we live in but, I suppose they could be much worse. I mean there's no illness or disease going about at the moment, may the Gods keep it that way.

fire_insideout
2017-08-11, 02:22 AM
"Dangerous times indeed my friend. Best not to delve too deep into events like that." He pauses for a moment and puts a small hand on Cassiel's arm.
"Should you ever need anything, let me know. I would hate for something to happen to my favorite barkeep." The words are sincere, although delivered somewhat clumsy. It's been a while since Ashworth uttered anything like that sentence.
"Anyway, I better eat up and get back home. Long day tomorrow I suspect."

Eric Scott
2017-08-11, 02:31 AM
He smiles, I appreciate that, but if I can't handle it I doubt you'd be much help, no offence meant of course. Though yes, I've taken up enough of your time, and I've other customers to tend to. If I don't see you again before you retire for the evening, I wish you a fitful and restful sleep.

fire_insideout
2017-08-11, 03:35 AM
Ashworth raises his glass in goodbye as Cassiel walks off, before he turns his attention to the stew. It's spicy taste got his eyes tearing and he takes another sip of wine.
Feels like Cassiel dropped an entire fist of smoked peppers in this... He muses while he eats. After a while he gets used to the taste and his mind starts wandering.
Inogna. I wonder if I'll ever encounter him again? What if he succeeds in his plans, what then? The weakening of the gods? Chaos and destruction certainly. But I cannot challenge him directly, his powers are far beyond mine, even with the shadows as my allies. The gnome tries to examine his options as subjective as he can.
The short term goal must be to stay hidden. I need to be more careful than usual for a few weeks. I'll keep my head down and see what I can find out about Inognas plans. Perhaps there are things I can do to slow him down at least.

The assassin finishes his meal and heads back out into the night to find his fence, Marcus.

Eric Scott
2017-08-11, 01:57 PM
You travel to the usual place to meet Marcus. As you approach you can hear him conversing with someone, though you can only hear his side of the conversation.

No, I personally, can't do anything about that... Alright, fine, if you give me 500GP upfront and I'll see about find someone to help you with that... The 500 is for incentive for the prospective individual, I won't be able to find someone if there is no certainty of pay... Excellent, I should have someone in 2 days at most.

The conversation ends and the other individual is gone when you finally arrive. You see Marcus looking in a bag of what you can assume to be the gold from the conversation. He looks a little glum, though once he notices you a bright smile plays across his face. Liam! Just the man I was hoping to see, I might have a job for you if you aren't feeling too picky.

fire_insideout
2017-08-13, 06:26 AM
Ashworth waves a hand in greeting, a slow and deliberate movement. Marcus could be jumpy at times, and unexpected movement was a sure way of making the man nervous.
"Good to see you too Marcus." He replies with a half-smile. "Picky? Perhaps, depends on the job. What can you tell me?"

Eric Scott
2017-08-13, 01:36 PM
Well, I don't exactly know what skills you possess but, I recently got word of someone needing someone roughed up. You know knock'em around a bit, break a few bones, make'em bleed. Though they have to be kept alive, for reasons that I can not say. I've got 500GP right here with your name on it if you take the job, another 2500GP on completion. He shrugs. I can't divulge any further information unless you accept the job, well I could but I rather enjoy living at the moment.

fire_insideout
2017-08-15, 06:14 AM
Ashworth nods at Marcus' words.
"That's a significant amount of gold, that it is..." He hesitates for a second.
"I'm don't usually do these kind of jobs you know. Roughing up people is a bit... outside of my expertise you could say." He smiles slightly. That kind of money... This must be a difficult target, either it is a formidable opponent or it is very well guarded. Intriguing.
"Then again, that's a lot of money. Sure, I'll do it, although it won't be very elegant." He holds out a tiny hand.
"Cash please, and what can you tell me about the target?"

Eric Scott
2017-08-15, 10:59 AM
He hands you the bag of 500GP. You don't really have to worry about it being elegant, as it will be either way, being that the target is the Prince of Agnostia. He is to be here in 2 days time, pending interruptions. It is to my understanding that he comes seeking the Princess's hand in marriage and also that he he is apparently the one behind the recent murders, not personally but that he has supplied the coin for it. He's not likely to be terribly heavily guarded, at least not readily visibly, he'll likely have guards up on roofs with bows and crossbows. This is because he likes to be seen as fearless, especially in light of the recent murders. In reality he is a fool and a coward whom hungers for power and isn't willing to kill his own parents to get it, though he'll gladly have the parents of his wife killed after they are wed. In other words, you are effectively working for the crown to protect it. He gives a slight nervous laugh and quickly glances around. As for why he is to be roughed up, it's easier to humiliate someone that is alive than it is one that is dead.

fire_insideout
2017-08-19, 07:01 AM
Ashworth nods, already analyzing the new task. Royalty. Tricky. This could turn out to haunt me later. I must be careful on this one.
"It's an interesting challenge. Do you happen to know where he will be staying? Unless I can take out his archers first assaulting him in the streets will be risky." The gnome pauses for a second. "Does the crown know about me being its protector, or does the money come from some concerned citizen?"

Eric Scott
2017-08-19, 10:33 AM
He'll likely be staying at the castle, I don't think it'd be wise to attack him there though, it'd be tricky and would implicate the crown in the affair. He then lets out a small laugh. Technically the money comes from a concerned citizen, as the crown doesn't know that you specifically are to be protecting it.

fire_insideout
2017-08-22, 04:19 AM
"I see." The gnome nods slowly. "Then I'll need to take care of the archers first, otherwise the situation might force me to use more violence than this calls for..." Ashworth smiles slightly.
"A challenge. I like it! Do you have anything else for me?"

Eric Scott
2017-08-22, 03:06 PM
Uh, well try not to get caught, I guess. Other than that though, I've got a few other jobs but they're just small fry compared to this. It'd probably be best if you're well rested for such a challenge, I mean unless you really need money now. Y- You don't need to pay someone off, do you? He says with his face contorting to a mix of concern and fear, a bead of sweat visibly dripping down the side of his face.

fire_insideout
2017-08-24, 11:45 AM
Ashworth smiles calmly.
"The debts I owe cannot be repaid in gold my friend. And that is not for you to worry about anyway." He replies and winks.
"You can keep the other contracts, the prince is mine." He nods slightly to Marcus as he turns to leave. "Thanks for giving this one to me, I appreciate it."

With that said the gnome heads off back home to get some sleep before the end of the night.

Eric Scott
2017-08-24, 06:29 PM
He momentarily goes wide eyed and ghostly white. As the color begins to return to his face he says only one thing Of course...

Your travel is uninterrupted and you arrive with no troubles.

While you sleep, in your dreams you have visions of the city in complete chaos, buildings crumbling and burning, tentacles reaching down from the sky and a man wearing a crown futilely waving a sword around above his head trying to fend off one of the tentacles. You do not recognize the man in the dream, he isn't the king, though you do recognize that it's at the castle of this very city. You are unable to wake yourself from the dream until morning finally comes.

When you awake, you feel very well rested, something which feels kind of odd given the dreams you had had.