PDA

View Full Version : Fun curse ideas!

MustacheManny
2017-06-13, 12:06 PM
I'm co-DMing a West Marches style game and the gang is just about to find a fun little itsm that they were commissioned to find but commanded NOT to touch. What's a fun little curse that's not debilitating that could be removed by the local priest for a modest fee after the player in question discovers it?

nickl_2000
2017-06-13, 12:09 PM
They see imaginary enemies every so often that fade after they hit once (causing psychic damage). I'm using this in my adventure

Puh Laden
2017-06-13, 12:12 PM
Reverse sight: see perfectly in darkness but lighted areas are heavily obscured, dim-light is lightly obscured even if the creature had darkvision. Finding ways around it can be fun.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-13, 12:54 PM
The Slapstick Curse- At the start of any turn, roll a d20. If you get a 1 or a 2 and were standing, you fall prone. If you were riding a steed, you fall off, then fall prone.

hamishspence
2017-06-13, 12:56 PM
I liked OOTS: Start of Darkness's "Speak only in one-word exclamations". Percy Jackson YA novel series had "Speak only in rhyming couplets" as well.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-13, 03:08 PM
I like when they go to talk they have to sing what ever they say and while there singing they have to dance as well.

archetypex
2017-06-13, 03:23 PM
They get a personal soundtrack, with music arising from nowhere at random times. Would make sneaking impossible. Bonus points if the music is thematically appropriate (Stripper music when they get changed, etc)...

Matrix_Walker
2017-06-13, 03:39 PM
I'm co-DMing a West Marches style game and the gang is just about to find a fun little itsm that they were commissioned to find but commanded NOT to touch. What's a fun little curse that's not debilitating that could be removed by the local priest for a modest fee after the player in question discovers it?

What's the nature of the item and who cursed it? Depending on the root of the curse, I might say...

Whenever they commit an "impure act" they hallucinate their family priest wagging his finger at them.

Since they could not keep their hands to themselves, their fingers become sticky, and any objects that come into contact are stuck to them, requiring a STR check to remove, and damaging delicate items.

MasterMercury
2017-06-13, 03:44 PM
Constantly bugged by small bugs, scorpions, etc.

Pex
2017-06-13, 05:17 PM
An affinity to skunks, trogolodytes, and otyughs. First skunks find their way to be near him. Soon a troglodyte tribe takes an interest, considering him the pupae form of their god's Chosen and needs to be cared for. Eventually an otyugh decides to be his pet or perhaps the otyugh thinks the character is its pet.

Kane0
2017-06-13, 05:58 PM
Develops a motor tic, bobbing their head every minute or so.

Everything is heard as if distant.

Constant feeling of déjà vu.

Experiences everything in third person.

Left/right handedness swapped every 1d4 days.

Drawn towards random locations for no reason.

Cannot help but trust people that show no signs of trustworthiness

Edit: Old but relevant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?295647-Bestow-Curse-ideas)

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-13, 07:21 PM
Well, what is the history of the item? If the person telling them to find it is the true and proper owner of it, perhaps the curse forces them to obey or show respect to the family? So they have to bow to the name of the family or to their insignia or they'll suffer bad luck...Which could just be the portent ability in reverse.