PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Multiclassing into Cleric vs Magic Initiate

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-13, 02:24 PM
So, I'm pretty new to D&D(played about 3 sessions with a Ranger), and will be playing through AL with some of my friends soon. Given that it sounded fun, and that I was encouraged by the DM to "step out of my comfort zone", I will be playing a Sorcerer.

As I was looking into how I want to build my character, I came across, and am currently stuck on the following choice: should I multiclass 1 level into cleric to gain access to armor and Cure Wounds Spell, or get the Magic Initiate feat for Cure Wounds/Healing Word and the two cantrips?

From what I'm thinking so far, going with MI would allow me to progress as a Sorcerer a little more quickly, and give me two cantrips to help my versatility. However, I would not be able to cast it at a higher level, and could only do it once per long rest. Life Cleric(which is the one I'd probably go with, also gives a nice bump to healing. It is also worth noting that our group currently does not have a healer, and that I was planning on combining a heal spell with the Distant Spell Metamagic.

Any advice that you guys have would be appreciated. My character is a Half-Elf Storm Sorcerer, with 8 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 12 INT, 12 WIS, and 17 CHA.

twomp01
2017-06-13, 02:29 PM
I'd like to point out that you need at least 13 Wis to multiclass as a cleric. Apart from that, multiclassing cleric is pretty good. The armor is great, and the heal spells are pretty good. Remember though, low level healing spells are pretty much only good for putting people back on their feet. They aren't that great for healing people back to full health. I recommend starting as a sorcerer for the proficiency in Con saves.

PeteNutButter
2017-06-13, 02:30 PM
If you want to be the healer by any sense of the word you'd have to take a level in cleric. A single cure wounds a day is not going to do much for your team.

The armor proficiencies are a great boost in survivability, although you might want to stick to medium armor and a siheld over heavy as it will slow you down.

Cleric also gives ritual casting and a large list of spells that can be swapped every day.

The big problem is RAW you do not meet the wisdom requirement for cleric. You need a 13 wisdom, so maybe boost cha to 18 and wis to 13 with next ASI.

Breashios
2017-06-13, 02:42 PM
I think you should look at Bard for a multiclass synergy with Sorcerer and some healing options which might be enough for you, but if you are thinking armor is the important part, then you should also look at options that give medium armor, as your Dex 14 puts you right between the benefits of looking for a heavy armor option.

What type of sorcerer were you considering?

lunaticfringe
2017-06-13, 02:44 PM
You can get Cure Wounds from MI: Bard and pick up Vicious Mockery. Unless you really want Guidance which is pretty slick. Spare the Dying can be covered by a Healer's Kit.

If I went MI: Bard, I'd grab Faerie Fire over Cure Wounds on my Sorcerer. Personal Preference.

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-13, 02:47 PM
If you want to be the healer by any sense of the word you'd have to take a level in cleric. A single cure wounds a day is not going to do much for your team.

The armor proficiencies are a great boost in survivability, although you might want to stick to medium armor and a siheld over heavy as it will slow you down.

Cleric also gives ritual casting and a large list of spells that can be swapped every day.

The big problem is RAW you do not meet the wisdom requirement for cleric. You need a 13 wisdom, so maybe boost cha to 18 and wis to 13 with next ASI.

Ok, thanks for your response. I'm planning to upgrade WIS and CHA on my first ABI. I wasn't planning on becoming a full healer, but I thought it'd be great to pick up. Do you have any recommendations as to what I should take from cleric besides cure wounds, and would Life domain be the way to go?

Also, do you happen to know how known vs prepared spells will work for the combination of Cleric and Sorcerer? Will the Cleric spells be in their own category, or will they count against my Sorcerer spells?

Matrix_Walker
2017-06-13, 02:50 PM
You determine spells known for each class completely separately.

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-13, 02:50 PM
I think you should look at Bard for a multiclass synergy with Sorcerer and some healing options which might be enough for you, but if you are thinking armor is the important part, then you should also look at options that give medium armor, as your Dex 14 puts you right between the benefits of looking for a heavy armor option.

What type of sorcerer were you considering?

I'm not sure specifically, just looking for some extra utility and team support to pick up, and I liked the idea of healing spells+distant spell. Does bard have any others besides healing word?

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-13, 02:51 PM
You determine spells known for each class completely separately.

Sweet. Thanks for your help! :)

Sir cryosin
2017-06-13, 02:53 PM
Stay Sorcerer and just pick up the healer feat. The healer feet let's you pick up your party members when you need it. Don't worry about AC to much if you stay on the back lines you will be fine with mage armor or the shield spell.

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-13, 02:54 PM
I'd like to point out that you need at least 13 Wis to multiclass as a cleric. Apart from that, multiclassing cleric is pretty good. The armor is great, and the heal spells are pretty good. Remember though, low level healing spells are pretty much only good for putting people back on their feet. They aren't that great for healing people back to full health. I recommend starting as a sorcerer for the proficiency in Con saves.

Yes, I'll be bumping WIS to 13 with my first increase. I guess that I'm aiming to make more of a saver than a full healer. I'll definitely be going with Sorcerer until about 5 or so.

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-13, 02:57 PM
Stay Sorcerer and just pick up the healer feat. The healer feet let's you pick up your party members when you need it. Don't worry about AC to much if you stay on the back lines you will be fine with mage armor or the shield spell.

I'm looking for a ranged heal option right now though, which is why Cure Wounds/Healing Word are on my mind.

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-13, 03:01 PM
You can get Cure Wounds from MI: Bard and pick up Vicious Mockery. Unless you really want Guidance which is pretty slick. Spare the Dying can be covered by a Healer's Kit.

If I went MI: Bard, I'd grab Faerie Fire over Cure Wounds on my Sorcerer. Personal Preference.

Oooh. That sounds like a really nice combo, I had forgotten that VM is a cantrip. Thanks for the advice!

Citan
2017-06-13, 06:05 PM
So, I'm pretty new to D&D(played about 3 sessions with a Ranger), and will be playing through AL with some of my friends soon. Given that it sounded fun, and that I was encouraged by the DM to "step out of my comfort zone", I will be playing a Sorcerer.

As I was looking into how I want to build my character, I came across, and am currently stuck on the following choice: should I multiclass 1 level into cleric to gain access to armor and Cure Wounds Spell, or get the Magic Initiate feat for Cure Wounds/Healing Word and the two cantrips?

From what I'm thinking so far, going with MI would allow me to progress as a Sorcerer a little more quickly, and give me two cantrips to help my versatility. However, I would not be able to cast it at a higher level, and could only do it once per long rest. Life Cleric(which is the one I'd probably go with, also gives a nice bump to healing. It is also worth noting that our group currently does not have a healer, and that I was planning on combining a heal spell with the Distant Spell Metamagic.

Any advice that you guys have would be appreciated. My character is a Half-Elf Storm Sorcerer, with 8 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 12 INT, 12 WIS, and 17 CHA.
Well... You are in some kind of a bind.
Usually, I'd say "dip in all faith" because Cleric, Life or Tempest especially, can bring much to a Sorcerer.
You don't meet the prerequisites yet though, and that is kinda upping the opportunity cost. So the question is: are you really the only one that could grab healing spells?
- A Ranger could easily dip one level into Life Cleric, with added benefit of enhanced Goodberries.
- A Thief Rogue would be great with a Healer feat.
- A Fighter could probaby dip with ease too, since he has additional feats he could spend on it.

Secondary question is: how much are you interested in Cleric cantrips?
Because if its are an afterthought for you, then Magic Initiate is probably a bad choice whatever happens.

SO.
1) You really want to be a good healer and your DM did not waive the WIS requirement to multiclass (you can always ask him but in AL I suppose he won't accept).
- On your next ASI put +1 CHA and +1 WIS.
- Immediately after dip Life Cleric: better AC and healing spells.
- On the later ASI, take Resilient: Wisdom (at least you had a good reason to keep an odd WIS score until then).

2) You just want to get some easy healing.
Grab a single level of Bard: you get Healing Words and Heroism if you want, long-rest Bardic Inspiration (better than nothing), more interesting utility cantrips (imo) than what you could get with Cleric (Mage Hand, Message, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Blade Ward) you are done.
You can always stack this with Inspiring Leader feat and later a Healer feat if you feel healing is still not enough.

Rfkannen
2017-06-13, 06:39 PM
Id recomend the cleric if it makes sense for your character, it gives you a concrete connection with the setting (through a god) and ups your tankyness and versatility quite a bit, its a lot of fun!

But if you look at your character and they honestly don't seem that tanky or devote I would just take magic initiate.

Gtdead
2017-06-13, 07:46 PM
You can do Paladin 2/Sorc x. You gain better armor, defender, healing, smite, 8 levels of sorcerer, bless and it keys of charisma.

Citan
2017-06-14, 04:49 AM
You can do Paladin 2/Sorc x. You gain better armor, defender, healing, smite, 8 levels of sorcerer, bless and it keys of charisma.
Mate...
You REALLY should read the opening post before typing, you would avoid making senseless, useless advice... :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

The worst is, it would have been a very good advice (which I'd concur in fact because it was my reflex before seeing OP stats) if you had just taken the time to explicit that it would require OP to swap his STR and DEX to be able to multiclass into Paladin. XD

Gtdead
2017-06-14, 07:11 AM
Actually I had forgotten that paladin needs strength to multiclass. I thought it needed cha only.

DM had changed mc requirements in my last game, giving me the chance to make a dex based paladin mc.

Khrysaes
2017-06-14, 08:48 AM
If UA is allowed, you could look into taking Favored Soul. It gets a bunch of boosts to healing, and if you STILL multiclass cleric, it becomes even better, especially with life cleric.

Edit: Didn't see the AL part. Still, ask about it.

Citan
2017-06-14, 08:56 AM
Actually I had forgotten that paladin needs strength to multiclass. I thought it needed cha only.

DM had changed mc requirements in my last game, giving me the chance to make a dex based paladin mc.
That's a nice DM, I'm glad for you. ;)

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-14, 02:16 PM
Well... You are in some kind of a bind.
Usually, I'd say "dip in all faith" because Cleric, Life or Tempest especially, can bring much to a Sorcerer.
You don't meet the prerequisites yet though, and that is kinda upping the opportunity cost. So the question is: are you really the only one that could grab healing spells?
- A Ranger could easily dip one level into Life Cleric, with added benefit of enhanced Goodberries.
- A Thief Rogue would be great with a Healer feat.
- A Fighter could probaby dip with ease too, since he has additional feats he could spend on it.

Secondary question is: how much are you interested in Cleric cantrips?
Because if its are an afterthought for you, then Magic Initiate is probably a bad choice whatever happens.

SO.
1) You really want to be a good healer and your DM did not waive the WIS requirement to multiclass (you can always ask him but in AL I suppose he won't accept).
- On your next ASI put +1 CHA and +1 WIS.
- Immediately after dip Life Cleric: better AC and healing spells.
- On the later ASI, take Resilient: Wisdom (at least you had a good reason to keep an odd WIS score until then).

2) You just want to get some easy healing.
Grab a single level of Bard: you get Healing Words and Heroism if you want, long-rest Bardic Inspiration (better than nothing), more interesting utility cantrips (imo) than what you could get with Cleric (Mage Hand, Message, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Blade Ward) you are done.
You can always stack this with Inspiring Leader feat and later a Healer feat if you feel healing is still not enough.

I side most with option 2, so I'll change up my plans for the Bard, and I'll bump my DEX back up since I wont need the wisdom as much. Thanks for your response!

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-14, 02:18 PM
If UA is allowed, you could look into taking Favored Soul. It gets a bunch of boosts to healing, and if you STILL multiclass cleric, it becomes even better, especially with life cleric.

Edit: Didn't see the AL part. Still, ask about it.

Ok, I've seen a lot of input recommending FS, so I'll ask him.