PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e: Sorcerer Multiclassing into Cleric vs Magic Initiate

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-13, 02:29 PM
So, I'm pretty new to D&D(played about 3 sessions with a Ranger), and will be playing through AL with some of my friends soon. Given that it sounded fun, and that I was encouraged by the DM to "step out of my comfort zone", I will be playing a Sorcerer.

As I was looking into how I want to build my character, I came across, and am currently stuck on the following choice: should I multiclass 1 level into cleric to gain access to armor and Cure Wounds Spell, or get the Magic Initiate feat for Cure Wounds/Healing Word and the two cantrips?

From what I'm thinking so far, going with MI would allow me to progress as a Sorcerer a little more quickly, and give me two cantrips to help my versatility. However, I would not be able to cast it at a higher level, and could only do it once per long rest. Life Cleric(which is the one I'd probably go with, also gives a nice bump to healing. It is also worth noting that our group currently does not have a healer, and that I was planning on combining a heal spell with the Distant Spell Metamagic.

Any advice that you guys have would be appreciated. My character is a Half-Elf Storm Sorcerer, with 8 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 12 INT, 12 WIS, and 17 CHA.

Joe the Rat
2017-06-13, 02:56 PM
You've got the main drawback of Magic Initiate: one cast per long rest, cannot use your regular slots. It's better to think of MI as "Two Cantrips plus somethng" than "A spell plus some cantrips."

My character is a Half-Elf Storm Sorcerer, with 8 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 12 INT, 12 WIS, and 17 CHA.
That one level of Cleric will require you to re-jigger stats, since you need at least 13 WIS to multiclass. And you will be a minimal cleric - 4 spells prepared, stick to buffs because your save DC is loooow. Life Cleric would offset the low WIS mod for healing. 8 Str means that heavy armor will slow you down - you're sticking to light or medium.

Another route for your pocket healer would be to take a level of Bard: Charisma based, Cure wounds on the list (plus some other goodies Sorcerers don't get, like Faerie St. Elmo's Fire), plus bardic inspiration for a little action buffing. If you take Bard first, you get light armor and some better weapon options should things turn ugly.

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-13, 03:09 PM
You've got the main drawback of Magic Initiate: one cast per long rest, cannot use your regular slots. It's better to think of MI as "Two Cantrips plus somethng" than "A spell plus some cantrips."

That one level of Cleric will require you to re-jigger stats, since you need at least 13 WIS to multiclass. And you will be a minimal cleric - 4 spells prepared, stick to buffs because your save DC is loooow. Life Cleric would offset the low WIS mod for healing. 8 Str means that heavy armor will slow you down - you're sticking to light or medium.

Another route for your pocket healer would be to take a level of Bard: Charisma based, Cure wounds on the list (plus some other goodies Sorcerers don't get, like Faerie St. Elmo's Fire), plus bardic inspiration for a little action buffing. If you take Bard first, you get light armor and some better weapon options should things turn ugly.

Good point. I was planning to bump up to WIS 13, CHA 18 on my first ability score issue to satisfy the requirement. I'll look into Bard, but I definitely want to start out with Sorcerer for the origin features. Thanks for your advice!

Specter
2017-06-13, 05:46 PM
Yep, basically what was said before. Cure Wounds cast once as a 1st-level spell becomes obsolete very fast. The Bard way is what you want, because then you can forget about boosting WIS.

Also it should be noted that a healer is not absolutely necessary in 5e, so if you just have a healing spell or take a feat like Healer you should be alright.

Byke
2017-06-14, 11:18 AM
Bard or Cleric both work for healing but that already been stated.

If your going to play a Sorcerer for AL from PHB or SCAG for you first time. Than I would recommend you stick to draconic and forget healing.

If you are hellbent on having a healing spell then my recommendation is Storm Cleric 2+X/Sorcerer 3+Y. Has healing and some excellent lighting damage synergy.

Only other recommendation is to optimize your stats: Keeping it simple as you are new to the game I won't both with the 27 buys and the many optimal computations. Just using the Standard array from AL.

Standard set (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)

Str: 8
Dex: 16 (15+1)
Con: 14 (13+1)
Wis : 12
Int:10
Char:16 (14+2)

If you go Cleric for plate and heal then you can dump dex.

CoolOnTheTable
2017-06-14, 01:58 PM
Yep, basically what was said before. Cure Wounds cast once as a 1st-level spell becomes obsolete very fast. The Bard way is what you want, because then you can forget about boosting WIS.

Also it should be noted that a healer is not absolutely necessary in 5e, so if you just have a healing spell or take a feat like Healer you should be alright.

Ok, so you think I'd be good with a CW/HW from bard instead?